Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I got a 2004 Volvo XC90 2.5T as a daily driver. 180k miles. The sound system says premium but it's nothing too great. Apparently the amplifier isn't strong enough. It's also a bunch of pieces connected together with MOST. Upgrading anything related to nav or sound means replacing everything else. So I'm going to do that.

I took out the 3rd row seating and built a box for the sub. I'm using a Dayton RSS315HF-4 12" driver in a 4.5 cu ft ported enclosure, tuned extra low at the expense of raw dB.

Here is some stuff I've got to play with:

Current Issues
DSTC Service Required
Ancient suspension
Power steering leak
Driver side mirror cracked
Broken mudflag
Parking brake adjustment
Passenger heated seat
Rear defrost center portion
Too much silver trim
Impossible to buy zen3 and video cards

taqueso fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

reserved

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I got a DTSC Service Required message, not good especially in winter. VIDA said the DEM (Differential Electronic Module, made by Haldex) wasn't communicating. I checked that it had power, that all the fuses were good, and that there was CANbus at the connector. I also read how you can plug and play upgrade the 3rd gen halex so you get faster engagement. Cool, "free" upgrade.

I swapped a used DEM from a v8 and it made volvo very unhappy. Problems with brakes and transmission.

I hooked up the modules on the bench. The new module had 2.5V on both CANH and CANL. Not good. Whatever is wrong with it disrupting the whole CAN bus. The old module, which I took apart, is transmitting something, but nothing good. That half height pulse looks suspicious

Add some termination and things look much better

Here is the unterminated signal with the transceiver's RX (pink) and TX (blue) shown. The device stops transmitting when the received signal (RX) doesn't match what it transmitted (TX). The quick shutoff leads to the the low amplitude pulse. So it is normal.

I'll rebuild the old DEM and swap it for the new one. The new one is acting as a cap to hold the valve and sensor in, so I can't look at it closer yet.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 4, 2021

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Wow, didn't realize the XC90 used the MOST setup. I thought it was common across the P2 platform.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 4, 2021

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Mods, please add umlaut to title.

You're a bit of a madman but I think I like this. My dad had a couple of XT90s just like that one (2004 and 2007ish I believe) and they were good cars. Until the center diff munched itself and resulted in a $10k repair bill. I think it had over 200k on it at the time though, with many, many starts and stops.

bolind fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Feb 4, 2021

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

LloydDobler posted:

Wow, didn't realize the XC90 used the MOST setup. I thought it was common across the P2 platform.

What do the other models have instead?

bolind posted:

Mods, please add umlaut to title.
the forums wouldn't let me post until I took it out :/

quote:

You're a bit of a madman but I think I like this. My dad had a couple of XT90s just like that one (2004 and 2007ish I believe) and they were good cars. Until the center diff munched itself and resulted in a $10k repair bill. I think it had over 200k on it at the time though, with many, many starts and stops.

Center diff problems you say?

I got the old dem wired up with a canbus usb interface

Here's part of the dump

25 of the first message, 250 of the second. No idea what it means, but it seems reasonable enough.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

taqueso posted:

What do the other models have instead?

Nothing. Analog outs from the very traditional head unit. So for an S60/80/V70 you can just buy a wiring harness adapter, DIN adapter, and stick in anything you want.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Have you trimmed the sub box? and refitted the car trim in the rear? I want a finished shot!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Tomarse posted:

Have you trimmed the sub box? and refitted the car trim in the rear? I want a finished shot!

Not yet. I have some 'Essex' carpet from automotiveinteriors.com, but I keep finding reasons to not finish the box. Regarding the rest of the trim, I was originally going to use the factory trim panels for the sides, but now I want to make that into storage.

e: I found a shot from an earlier test fit that has the trim panels in. It's using a lot of space for cupholders

taqueso fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 8, 2021

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

mudflap status: cold and busted

Decided to try making some from ikea cutting boards

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Figured out that the DEM communication culprit is the cable harness. There is a break in one of the can wires near the DEM connector. It works sometimes when testing without mounting the DEM, but never when rotated to the normal mounted position. I couldn't find any new harnesses so I got one off ebay from a 2007. To replace that cable I need to open this hatch, which means I need to take out the sub box and one of the seats. Maybe I can get away with just removing the seat.

Cable harness should be here Friday.

I took a look at canbus from the new DEM:

For reference, here is the old DEM (canl/canh are swapped on the scope channels):

Turns out the new DEM is trying to communicate at 500kbps instead of 250kbps, which means it won't work with my car.

Meanwhile, I clipped a curb and bent the right side track bar:

Parts to fix that won't be here until Monday.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

The new (used) DEM cable arrived:

Here's what is under the seat, the cable of interest is the closest one in the row of connectors on the right

It goes through this little channel to get outside the cabin

It's too small to fit the DEM-side connector, so I had to feed it up from underneath, which would have been nice to avoid

After I got the cable run, I tried it out and still no communication with the DEM. Triple checked that CAN and power to the module was good. Eventually took the DEM apart and the CAN IC's TX input looks like this

That should be dropping down to around 0V, the CAN chip wants < 0.8V for a low input. Yes, that is the same TX pin that looked fine a couple weeks ago (blue trace)

I did get something done this weekend

taqueso fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 1, 2021

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Replacing the CAN transceiver didn't do any good so I'm going for a hail mary microcontroller replacement

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That's a clean removal. Chipquik?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Yep, well some cheaper clone of chipquik, anyway. I'll take any advantage I can get on a 144 pin chip.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 4, 2021