Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Torrannor posted:

I'm not sure I can take this much cuteness overload. A beemerang? Amazing! The characters look so adorable. I'll be sure to follow this.

:agreed: It's really not the type of game I'm interested in mechanically and I wouldn't want to play it, but this specific iteration seems cute as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Rhinoceros beetles have wings and can fly, though?

I demand realism in this game about talking four-legged bugs fighting with boomerangs and using blueberries as currency!

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

MP only, why do an LP if not to show off as much as possible at the expense of safety and common sense?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

vilkacis posted:

e: or perhaps rather

...awesome.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

So geysers thaw out after a while if you freeze them, which makes sense, and frozen enemies in combat thaw out if you hit them. This implies that the other things you freeze don't thaw out, is that right? It doesn't really matter for ice cubes but I have this image of Leif freezing some poor bug so the party can use it as a ladder or dump it on a switch and then they just walk off and leave it there :v:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

LiefKatano posted:

Disabling the healing abilities of old save crystals is an... interesting design decision.

I figure either it's a pat on the back - look, you're so much stronger now, you don't need these any more! - or a statement that your team are destroying natural resources and actually exploring is bad. Or just a way to make backtracking less mindless than it usually is in games.

I do like the party interactions and general dynamic. Two trolls and a straight man shouldn't really work, but it does. And regardless of what Vi says, all three of them are nerds.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I sympathise with Leif. I also get crabbier and more sarcastic when I'm hungry.

Explopyro posted:

In the other house on this level, we find this sinister-looking guy.

A tip for you: stay away from water.
You never know what kind of monsters might be lurking below the surface.

His missing eye flips sides :raise: Unless he's winking or something.

Explopyro posted:

Kabbu makes bad puns, but I'm left questioning why our resident wizard has such a grudge against nerds.

He doesn't want to share the nerd spotlight, obviously.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Twelve by Pies posted:

Midges are flies. It's apparently not an actual scientific classification, it's just "any small fly." If you live in the US, no see ums are a midge.

Midges are utter bastards.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Vi seems to have the most expressive sprite of the team, she gets a lot of distinct facial expressions compared to straight-man Kabbu and snarky-troll Leif. Leif still gets the best dialogue though :allears:

Explopyro posted:

As the length of this introduction might suggest, Stratos and Delilah are going to be recurring characters, helping us out with information over the course of the game.

A fun bit of trivia: these two were actually adapted from the protagonists of a game the devs had been working on before Bug Fables and ended up scrapping; they were originally going to be a lizard and a jellyfish. The devs tweeted this page from the artbook that shows some of the original concept.

That looks like a really cute game, shame they scrapped it. (Bug-sized lizards exist, they could have kept Stratos' original design.)

Explopyro posted:

... Berry Juice apparently has alcohol in it. Or something that intoxicates insects, anyway. This doesn't seem like it's going to end well.

This is definitely a thing, wasps and other bugs quite often get drunk feeding on rotting/fermenting fruit. Not unusual to see drunk wasps flying very erratically in early autumn.

Explopyro posted:

What nice robes.
He looks so magical!
Hey, Leif. Maybe you need a robe too!
You're RIGHT! Leif, with a sorcerer robe!
Uh, no. We'll keep our look.

There's this magical-looking fellow; he can't do anything for us now, but might be able to help us later. (Though probably not with fashion, Leif seems pretty resistant to that idea.)

No, Leif, they're right. You absolutely do need a robe. (someone draw this please if it doesn't actually exist in-game)

Explopyro posted:

And from there it picks up with the conversation about having all the offerings (or "we've got one, hope the other one will be as much fun to get" if you did it in the other order). This is a pretty cute alternative, and honestly, I like that they put this in instead of just fixing the eating contest so the player always wins.

So what happens when there's no protagonist team at the festival? Presumably it's common for different teams to win each contest. Do they both get to go to the summit with their offerings?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Aria being a miniboss seems a bit gratuitous, honestly. There's been nothing about Venus to indicate anything martial about the faith. She seems to be a harvest goddess, why would she care about fighting? Kabbu certainly seems taken by surprise and he's clearly a follower to some extent.

Also:

vilkacis posted:

"We do not see the appeal of your 'robe and wizard hat'."

Adorable :neckbeard:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Quackles posted:

Oh bug-ger.

:golfclap:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

That is one very literal game of Monopoly.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Explopyro posted:

...Well, why not just run?
If we tap (B) twice with me at the front...

Bleh... Whatever gets us outta there faster.
We'll try to keep up, Kabbu.

I can't decide if this is more or less random than your mother handing you special shoes that give you the ability to run which you somehow can't do normally...

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Explopyro posted:

Abomihoneys also frequently drop... Abomihoneys. Of course they do.

Such a video-game way of saying 'you pick up your enemy's corpse and carry it as rations'. It's not like that's unusual for insects.

Torrannor posted:

The bees are clearly more industrialized and technologically advanced than the other bugs. I wonder where that comes from. Are these non-floppy disk tiny human data storage disks? Or did the bees make those themselves, reverse engineering human technology? It seems like there are no humans around, even though there are lots of human "artifacts".

I've encountered several fantasy novels that use the concept of beehive structure creating rudimentary computers.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Leif has his priorities straight.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Explopyro posted:

As far as I can tell, this thing is just straight up an Eastern-style water dragon? (Albeit a bug-sized one.) It doesn't seem to be based on any particular form of wildlife, unlike most of the other enemies in this game. It feels a bit incongruous, honestly.

I think it's meant to be a lugworm. Long tideline-dwelling worm with bristles along the middle, lives in a U-shaped burrow with head and tail at each end. :shrug:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Explopyro posted:

...I guess that's one way to deal with this problem.

"Sorry, Neville."

Explopyro posted:

Hah! That's the plan. Break a leg.
B-Break a leg?
...It, uh, it means good luck.

Heh. (I never have quite gotten that expression, honestly, so it's fun to see the game poke fun at it.)

Nobody knows for sure but the main theories are either that it was unlucky to tempt fate by wishing someone good luck so you'd wish misfortune on them instead, or that it was a complicated Yiddish-German pun - the Yiddish hatsloche un broche, 'success and blessing', became the German Hals- und Beinbruch, 'neck and leg (bone) break'.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Give Leif both the berries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Hm, OP made a mistake and linked to the wrong music here, this is the actual soundtrack for this area.

Also of course the gang don't like machines that spit fire, they're all 2x weak to it. 4x in Leif's case.