Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Idk he dunked on Teslas back when everyone was sucking Elon's dick although I guess most still do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

But I mean, you do you, tracking the careers of tech website writers by byline and call-outs on off-site callouts I mean that's totally normal.

Probably there's a radioshack subforum somewhere where you can roast me for giving you some hard customer service in 2001, I can't wait to see that roast.

Tribal Rival
Oct 5, 2008

I am this fiery snail crawling home
I really like watching the crash test ratings for vehicles on youtube. Some of the lower rated vehicles can be surprising. The toyota tundra for example. Actually all body on frame trucks are pretty poo poo in an accident.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Big Beef City posted:

I read Ars technica probably three times a week.
Enough to scan the headlines.

I have never posted a comment to their article comment section nor have any knowledge of their authors that this kind of fanship, if you'd call it that, would entail.
I cannot, and will not, imagine what having the detailed knowledge of having detailed knowledge of Ars Technica authorship and their persona's entail.

Jesus loving christ.

I just go to the website sometimes and thought "Making a brick heavier and go faster will increase the impact it does" isn't really headline worth.

That's how bad gitlin's writing/posting is. It sticks with you.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Big Beef City posted:

I read Ars technica probably three times a week.
Enough to scan the headlines.

I have never posted a comment to their article comment section nor have any knowledge of their authors that this kind of fanship, if you'd call it that, would entail.
I cannot, and will not, imagine what having the detailed knowledge of having detailed knowledge of Ars Technica authorship and their persona's entail.

Jesus loving christ.

I just go to the website sometimes and thought "Making a brick heavier and go faster will increase the impact it does" isn't really headline worth.

I don't read Ars at all. He's so vain his forums account name reminds everyone that he has a doctorate in having lovely opinions about cars.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hell Yeah posted:

sending that peanut size dick at your pussy at 3/4 of light speed and it's demolished when i'm done. send that pussy back in time i hit it so hard

But if the dick is TOO small the BALLS hit the pussy first and slow it down so much that it becomes HUGE again and goes back in time so you have MICROSCOPIC FUTURE BALLS and a TEMPORALLY RELEVANT normal sized dick. It’s science, it’s relativity look it up, ref Melvin Einstein. :smuggo:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Tribal Rival posted:

I really like watching the crash test ratings for vehicles on youtube. Some of the lower rated vehicles can be surprising. The toyota tundra for example. Actually all body on frame trucks are pretty poo poo in an accident.

ive seen one of those little smart cars at 70. did better than i thought it would but i wouldnt want to be in it

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
How the hell are cars getting heavier? Thirty years ago they were made of solid steel and cement and maybe the top of the line model had a few extra anvils in the trunk. Nowadays they’re made of aluminum and feathers.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
It's super weird how hung up everyone is about cars getting heavier when boats have never been more affordable.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I',m a terrible driver

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Funky See Funky Do posted:

It's super weird how hung up everyone is about cars getting heavier when boats have never been more affordable.

Countries need more canal systems again. People don't get to ride around on boats enough anymore.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Flannelette posted:

Countries need more canal systems again. People don't get to ride around on boats enough anymore.

Don’t worry, climate change is working on bringing them back!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
ehrm uhhh well you see uhhh it's not really an issue of being heavier cause that means you could get the same results by increasing the force of gravity but ACKTUUALLY its about how much MASS the car has ehehe hehe *snort*

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Why don’t they just make the whole car out of the black box material :jerry:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
This simple facts of the matter are that you can put wheels on your boat and drive it around but you can't just put a hull on a car and expect it to floal.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Funky See Funky Do posted:

This simple facts of the matter are that you can put wheels on your boat and drive it around but you can't just put a hull on a car and expect it to float.

Yes you can, even old VW beetles are air tight enough they float for a bit.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
used to be able to caulk your wagon to get it across the river. try that with todays cars sometime
2 steps back

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
It might seem like your car is floating, but actually those pools of water on the road usually aren't very deep.

e: Just got a fax from Ars Technica asking me to write this up as an article.

Xaintrailles fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 8, 2021

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

gary oldmans diary posted:

caulk your wagon to get it across the river

is this a euphemism like a sex thing or what

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

gary oldmans diary posted:

used to be able to caulk your wagon to get it across the river. try that with todays cars sometime
2 steps back

You can do this with most offroad cars still, they will have a chapter in the manual for making it water tight for fording deep water. As long as you can keep the air intake and other bits that don't like water (the differential vent) above the water it's ok, the problem is they start floating and lose traction and float down the river so you either have special tires that work like paddles or use a winch. Rarely you get offroad vehicles that have the option to install little propellers on the back but that's more of an amphibious vehicle then.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 8, 2021

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Flannelette posted:

Yes you can, even old VW beetles are air tight enough they float for a bit.

Everything floats "for a bit". Let's not get bogged down in semantics here.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
https://youtu.be/5W4MYJt8c4w

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Old ACVWs might have been airtight at some point, but I think we can all agree that once you stomp on the skinny of this silver Nissan 350z your rear end in a top hat won't be airtight!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Well you see, that car is nice and all but in a crash I'd prefer to be rolling coal in a Silver Dodge Ram because you know it weighs more

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Cars are getting too big in general though, the small ones are becoming too expensive since they have to contain the same expensive features as the bigger one to meet standards so there is no market for them now.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
With weight being king I'd rather be in this Hardmode Silver Chevrolet 3/4 ton Suburban with a 454.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Well I suppose it isnt THAT weighty but a Hardmode Silver Forester GT still aint no light weight so it's all still good in a crash

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Old Foresters are famously light. My favorite car because of how easy they can be turned into lightweight off roader that never bogs down.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah a Forester is good and all with its high carbon steel but it just doesn't pack the sheer mass like this Silver Man 8x8 truck

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Sure it's massive but have you thought about the sheer strength of this Red MAN Firetruck?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Strength if you step on it barefoot maybe. What you need is a red dodge truck on home made "tank tracks"
https://i.imgur.com/TZ92LAA.mp4

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

You've got the right idea, but that height is just too impractical.
Something more like the color formerly known as blue Dodge Truck

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I'd just like to point out that if this Blue Wrecked Impreza WRX was heavier and bigger, it might have survived being hit by a Dodge.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
See this is why you need mass. Even this Wrecked Silver Aston Martin DB5 couldn't keep it together.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
This Wrecked Black Toyota Corolla took a hit at at least 100km/h. Driver survived. I don't think mass is an issue.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

Seems like it didn't take it quite as well as this silver wrecked 1981 Datsun 510

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Perhaps it is sheer stupidity instead of mass. like in the case of this Red wrecked Chevrolet Camaro owner that cut off a truck.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Looks like it got hit by this Red wrecked Lego... umm... I have no idea but it was strong

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
This Wrecked Black Honda Civic was the missile that t-boned the Corolla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

Dang, that's bad. We can't ignore velocity though, I think this champagne wrecked Chevy Malibu probably didn't get hit by something going as fast.