Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Abhorrence posted:

To be clear, you don't believe that committing perjury erodes someone's credibility?

Can you understand how someone could believe the opposite?

This is "no angel" character assassination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Jaxyon posted:

I was under the impression that Joe Biden is actually pretty personable to those around him, and about as far from Trump as you can get.

I'm not naive, I assume that every politician no matter how evil is putting on a character. But my understanding was that he had a better in-person game.

He's got a repeated pattern of getting visibly angry and lashing out when he's off his script. The media has done a good job offering Biden cover on these outbursts as "gaffes" and characterizing him as a goofy uncle-type character, but if you actually watch the tape there's nothing goofy about the way he comes at people.

some plague rats posted:

Nah he sucks. The second he's treated with anything less than absolute deference he loses his poo poo and his personable mask just completely falls off. Remember the number of people he told to vote for trump? Or this poo poo?

"You ain't black" springs to mind. As does "Talk about losers." As does "why why why why why" and putting his hands on a reporter.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

This definitely looks like a young woman who is fully comfortable with this situation and what Joe Biden is doing.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Mellow Seas posted:

And I think the roof coming down on Cuomo suggests that the permanent damage to #MeToo caused by people disbelieving/ignoring Reade, because of those three factors, may be overstated.

Well let's not be too hasty on sticking a fork in Cuomo since he's still in office and NY dems are saying some pretty sus stuff on this subject

https://twitter.com/NYDailyNews/status/1367915561267699712?s=20

Just th- no fo- no five women and we'll call for him to resign. He won't actually have to, of course.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

How are u posted:

My impression just from reading the news is that Cuomo hasn't gotten away with it, yet. He's made a lot of enemies in his career.

As long as he's in office he is currently, actively getting away with it.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

oh wow no way

quote:

A fourth woman has accused New York Governor Andrew Cuomo of inappropriate behavior
Another woman has accused Gov. Cuomo of inappropriate conduct, the Wall Street Journal reported.
Ana Liss is also the third former aide to allege Cuomo asked inappropriate relationship questions.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...2cen-us%2cen-sg

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Stewart-Cousins has decided that four truly is the magic number

https://twitter.com/NickReisman/status/1368653920424329216?s=20

Buuuut

https://twitter.com/NickReisman/status/1368641641012137989?s=20

e: I WILL NEVER LOG OFF

quote:

In a conference call with reporters earlier Sunday, Cuomo struck a more defiant tone than in previous weeks, saying demands from politicians that he resign are "anti-democratic." Cuomo said his administration's work in helping the state recover from the pandemic is too important for him to step aside now.

"There is no way I resign," he said.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/two-more-women-accuse-andrew-cuomo-inappropriate-behavior-n1259896

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

Looks like Cuomo just put out a statement that he'll never resign so it's now clearly up to the state democrats in power to actually impeach him.

Lets see how this plays out, Cotton.

This should be considered a litmus test for one of the most important arms of the Democratic party in the country. He's a sitting executive so there are no excuses to be made about letting the voters decide, there's a pile of credible accusations, he's also an incompetent lying grandma-killer, and there's literally no chance of a chud getting in here. The only stakes are whether taking a sex abuser out of office matters more than loyalty to one's feudal party lord does. This is the lowest possible bar available to prove that Me Too was more than just a cudgel to hit Republicans with and then discard when it became inconvenient.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

some plague rats posted:

Yeah there's no excuse to not run him out of office so I'm excited to see him face absolutely no consequences at all

:yeah:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/timesunion/status/1369374492485693458

Still waiting on that "roof coming down" thing where he doesn't get to be governor anymore.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/harrysiegel/status/1369802372516560897?s=20

Well that's super bad. Let's see how that roof coming down thing is going.

https://twitter.com/akela_lacy/status/1370032662317051915?s=20

There are a total of 213 New York State legislators, so 55 of them calling on him to resign is about 25%. Let's be generous and only count them against the total number of Democrats in both houses (145). That's 37%. Cuomo sexually harassed or assaulted at least six women and not even a simple majority of his own party's legislators will even call on him to resign. Much less impeach him.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Nocturtle posted:

At the very least holding Harris accountable for her complicity when she inevitably runs for president is necessary. What to do about all the liberals who dismiss assault claims when politically convenient seems like a hard problem.

Well, to start with, abusers make it into office and stay there because people will rationalize that they have other redeeming qualities or the other guy is worse but ask yourself this: if Joe Biden was credibly accused of murder, would people still have voted for him? I don't think so. I think people excuse abuse of women in their leaders because it's normalized in a way that other types of violence are not. People are continuing to minimize and excuse his and other abusers' behavior. Look at the Twittersphere around Cuomo; it's verging into Q-level poo poo that this is all an op to get Their Guy out of the way for some reason or other.

The people who want their team to win because it's their team and to their advantage (or perceived advantage) if Their Guy gets in, regardless who Their Guy has hurt and will continue to hurt, are not going to be swayed by moral arguments on this or any other subject. They'll say whatever they think they need to say in order to put their team in a better position to win; they will only change their requirements for their own team's membership and leadership when it is demonstrably obvious to them that they can't win otherwise.

So that makes the solution pretty easy: don't ever vote for someone who has been credibly accused of rape or abuse of women, and make it your responsibility to understand what accusations have been leveled against anyone who you are considering voting for in the same way you would check them out to make sure they don't have "throw babies off a cliff" on their campaign website. Make these behaviors unacceptable for elected officials by unconditionally withholding support. And be vocal about it! Make it clear to everyone you know that you will not support a credibly accused rapist or abuser when you make a decision to withhold your vote. And after you do, don't be gulled by lesser evilism and threats that this particular election must be won at any cost, because those arguments are ever-ready. Tell people you're done voting for rapists and leave it at that.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Video footage of Biden building human connections with constituents https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcjJn1i6D_I

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Corky Romanovsky posted:

This kind of buy-in to the contrived games empowers the sociopaths and predators. If you do not truly believe this is inevitable, avoid fatalistic phrasing. These events are years away and can be opposed.

You can also just not vote for rapists and refuse to be gulled into providing cover for one because another one might be worse. That is and will continue to be an option that is available.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Worth reading that whole report and then, among other things, asking yourself who the ally is who is going to save Cuomo, it's pretty clear people are digging up their bags of hatchets for this opportunity.

Looks like that sixth woman and the physical assault allegation literally right after he said he never did that caused the knives to come out for real

quote:

The speaker of the New York Assembly, Carl Heastie, has authorized the Judiciary Committee to begin an impeachment investigation into misconduct allegations against Gov. Andrew Cuomo.

A woman who works as an aide to Cuomo says the governor aggressively groped her in the governor's official residence late last year, making her at least the sixth woman to accuse him of inappropriate sexual conduct.

The woman's story emerged after she heard the governor say recently that he had never touched a woman inappropriately.

The female staff member's account was first reported by the Times Union newspaper in the state capital Albany, citing a source who has direct knowledge of the woman's claims — the most severe allegation yet about Cuomo's behavior toward women.
https://www.npr.org/2021/03/11/976064389/cuomo-aide-says-governor-groped-her-in-executive-mansion

Hopefully they throw his rear end in the East River.

ed: oh wow where do i know this dog whistle from

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1370439405845024782?s=20

i hope everyone who called themselves a cuomosexual last summer understands they were idolizing Blue Trump

The Oldest Man fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 12, 2021

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Well bad news, because if he is Blue Trump (as that article convincingly argues) then he will never log off

I fully expect him to survive (judicially) because there's no physical evidence of any of this as far as I know and our joke of a justice system was designed on a whiteboard to protect pieces of poo poo like Cuomo and Trump from ever facing any real consequences for their actions as a general rule. He'll probably go mask off and become a media personality who screams about cancel culture full time for pay and make a good living at it. However, prying institutional power from his hands is an important step in curtailing his ability to hurt people which is the subtext that's too often forgotten in this discussion - it's not just about justice for the people he's already hurt, it's about taking away his power to hurt all the staffers and interns he's going to harass, assault, and/or rape in the future if left unchecked.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I saw some data a few days ago that the media mentions of Tara Reade's accusations were significantly less than other sex scandals in recent memory in the first few days immediately following the accusation, which probably contributed to a counter narrative taking before people learned any of the details, but I can't find the graphic right now. I'll post it if I come across it again.

Meanwhile, Blue Trump gonna Blue Trump.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1371133445255086081?s=20

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pobrecito posted:

It sure is a shame that the President can't exert any pressure on Cuomo because... well you know

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1371237666570784771?s=20

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Was there ever an answer other than impeachment regarding how to remove Joe Biden from office on the grounds that he's a credibly accused rapist? He's certainly not going to resign over it.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Even the Intercept feels compelled to verify information about Reade's background and believes that it matters, it's not rape culture to attempt to verify who someone is for purposes of establishing credibility when they accuse the presidential nominee of a crime.

Rape culture is when it is a given that you will be socially and professionally eviscerated for making an accusation against a man

Sorry did you stop talking about what happened to Tara Reade in this second paragraph? I honestly can't tell.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1371976113329561601?s=20

Good to know Biden will believe women after the investigation proves they weren't lying, if it even can.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I guess my point is that until we're in a setting where sexual assault allegations against politicians in particular are not made decades after the fact

I'll stop you right there. This is never going to not be the case, if only for the obvious reason that many abusers don't become public figures until decades after the fact and we should respect any woman's choice not to compound the trauma of an assault or rape by making a public accusation at that time. The fact that years later when their attacker stands for public office - and the power over others that comes with it - might be when a victim's mental calculus changes from silence to speaking up is not always going to be resolved with a more supportive anti-rape culture, because the damage an abuser can do as a private citizen often pales in comparison to what they can do as a public official. They should be believed and supported either way, and and the fact that Ford was believed specifically by democrats and Reade was not believed specifically by democrats boils down to cultural affinity, class, and political party of the accused and accuser, not the "credibility" of each accusation.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Sodomy Hussein posted:

At the end of the day it's simply more complicated than that and everyone here knows it.

I mean either that or there's a set of rationalizations you need to adopt in order to reconcile the cognitive dissonance created by the vast gap between our leaders' statements and actions, and this is one of them.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

quote:

As Boylan’s disclosures began to draw notice on social media, a group of current and former Cuomo staffers who served as his informal crisis-communications brain trust moved to squash them “in real time,” according to one person with direct knowledge of the effort. Members of that group included Melissa DeRosa, a senior aide; Rich Azzopardi, Cuomo’s spokesperson; and Steven M. Cohen, a former secretary to the Governor. They circulated Boylan’s tweets and held a series of urgent calls. The group had just emerged from a frantic effort to respond to allegations that Cuomo’s office had deliberately undercounted covid-related deaths in New York nursing homes. They were “putting that to bed, and then she pipes up. And then it’s sort of a big scramble,” the person with direct knowledge of the effort told me. “It was, like, what the hell do we do about this?” Cuomo’s advisers arrived at a plan to leak Boylan’s personnel records, which included allegations that Boylan had bullied colleagues, some of them women of color. “The decision was made collectively,” the person with direct knowledge of the effort said. “That these are facts, the reporters should see them.”

An intermediary who says that he was not on the calls, Rich Bamberger, a former communications director for Cuomo who now works for the public-relations firm Kivvit, called several reporters and advised them to contact the Governor’s office. According to the person with knowledge of the conversations, Azzopardi then sent Boylan’s personnel files to reporters. By day’s end, several of the complaints about Boylan had appeared in stories, by the Associated Press, the New York Post, and the Albany-based Times Union. Boylan recalled being stunned by the articles. “I couldn’t move. I couldn’t breathe,” she said. In the ensuing days, Cuomo aides began contacting people who had worked under Boylan—which some of the recipients found intimidating, the Wall Street Journal reported last week. Cuomo advisers also considered releasing a letter attacking Boylan’s credibility and reputation, drafts of which were first reported by the Times this week. They ultimately decided against releasing the letter. “My life was, you know, for a period, destroyed,” Boylan told me. In a statement, Beth Garvey, Cuomo’s acting counsel, said, “With certain limited exceptions, as a general matter, it is within a government entity’s discretion to share redacted employment records, including in instances when members of the media ask for such public information and when it is for the purpose of correcting inaccurate or misleading statements.”

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/cuomos-first-accuser-raises-new-claims-of-harassment-and-retaliation

Weird how retaliatory character assassination is the go-to move for abusers when so many people are willing to disbelieve women's rape, assault or harassment claims as a result of "credibility problems," right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

People really want to apply the standard of "innocent until proven guilty*" from criminal proceedings to the maintenance of the public trust, when it's convenient for them. But here's the thing: innocent until proven guilty is a standard to protect people from abuse by those with state power. It is not the standard to apply to a suspected rapist's continued control of state power. The standard to disqualify people from holding that power ought to be the slightest whiff of abuse, not photographic evidence from six angles and corroborating witness statements notarized the day of the incident.

*by a justice system that is thoroughly and intentionally rigged to advantage rich white men from the law itself to prosecutorial discretion to the structure of court trials, but that's neither here nor there.

The Oldest Man fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 20, 2021