Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Falconier111 posted:

I did, thanks.

That’s good to know, but... I’d have to make Lulu attack to take advantage of that. Lulu. Using a mage’s weapon just feels wrong, you know?

They're a pain to fight, but IIRC the Basilisks a little ways back can actually drop a number of stonetouch weapons. It's just a question of being willing to spend the time to get any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Falconier111 posted:

That’s good to know, but... I’d have to make Lulu attack to take advantage of that. Lulu. Using a mage’s weapon just feels wrong, you know?

On the other hand, instantly killing a giant monster using a plushie is amazing, so I'd say it balaces out.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

On the other hand, instantly killing a giant monster using a plushie is amazing, so I'd say it balaces out.

... Vote to get a plushie with Zombietouch. You know why.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Falconier111 posted:

Never played FFV, have you?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Falconier111 posted:

My mother eventually got to a point in her play where she could beat an optional superboss to death with the girls alone... using nothing but Mug. Repeatedly. It was one of her favorite pastimes while playing X. I'm not sure she ever actually finished the game, she was so busy mugging that dude to death.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Dareon posted:

My mother eventually got to a point in her play where she could beat an optional superboss to death with the girls alone... using nothing but Mug. Repeatedly. It was one of her favorite pastimes while playing X. I'm not sure she ever actually finished the game, she was so busy mugging that dude to death.

I beat some Dark Aeons using the girls....just punching and sending out the Mog.

I might have been slightly overleveled.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

FFX does have one of the highest powerlevel cellings in the series. Outside of maybe one of the XIII saga I don't think any FF game reaches the DPT levels FFX gives you.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If you're willing to abuse the Limit Break system in FF8 you can pump out some ridiculous numbers.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E

Dareon posted:

Oh, I am looking forward to using Mug to turn Rikku into Kenshiro :unsmigghh:. That has to be my favorite glitch in FFX.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Update 30: Ain’t This Supposed To Be A Grand Occasion?

52-Macalania Woods-FFX OST

:buddy:

You’re worried about Yuna.

‘Course I’m worried about her! What is she thinking?

The simplest answer would be… In exchange for agreeing to marry Seymour… She hopes to negotiate with him.

Negotiate what?

I wonder.

This… Sounds like a really, really bad idea.

She’s strong, but Seymour is the better negotiator.

So are we, like, and do anything about it?

Doesn’t she trust us?

Whatever she’s planning, it’s dangerous, and she doesn’t want us caught up in it.

Is that supposed to be comforting? Because it’s really, really not.

That’s the way she is.

… Hey, you remember that laughing fit back at Luca?

Trust me. She’s easy to read.

Stand by her. Always.

Don’t have to tell me twice. Actually, wait, Auron?

Hmm?

I keep forgetting to ask. That whole Crimson Blades-Crusader thing… Are they related to the Crimson Blades back in Zanarkand?

… Yes.

… And?

… I’d ask you to drop it.

And if I say I don’t want to?

I tell you it’s personal, and not immediately relevant to our situation.

… Man, you don’t play the personal card all that often. All right, but you’ll tell me someday.

Sorry.

(It’s funny how calm I was. Maybe it was because I realized that Yuna wasn’t marrying Seymour for love. Not really. It was just her duty – something she had to do before returning to her pilgrimage).

(And well, maybe… I realized that Yuna and I’d never… You know…)

Okay, let’s go!

Welcome to the Macarena Macalania Woods, one of the most visually interesting areas in the game. I mean, crystal forests have been done before, but they aren’t exactly common and this one is particularly distinct. Though we do occasionally see the ground, we spend the vast majority of our time here walking along massive tree branches framed by blue leaves, crystal flowers, and glowing glass spheres.

One of the first things we encounter is a split in the road, but if we go down the direction that isn’t marked by the red objective triangle…

Lucil: And, if I may, congratulations on your betrothal. This road leads to Bevelle; you have to take the other one to get to Macalania Temple.

Emil Maester Seymour’s people are expecting you. We’re on watch duty at the temple at least until the wedding’s done. Anyone tries to crash our party, we’ll send ’em packing!

Lucil: Oh, we’ve received several reports of summoners disappearing these last few days. Please be careful, my lady.

Yeah. We know.

The monsters here are annoying but not infuriating as far as area difficulty spikes go. The closest thing we have two an exception is the local miniboss, the Chimera; it’s big, it’s tough, that snake head on the tail occasionally casts Thundara, and it can hit the whole party with Water damage in a move Kimahri can steal. Fortunately, it’s vulnerable to both Dark and Silence, so Wakka can get things under control the moment combat starts.

Can’t say we have.

What’s up?

Barthello: We got separated on the way here. drat it all! I’ve got to –

Calm down.

Barthello: But –

Barthello:… You’re right. You’re right. Thank you, Sir Auron.

Would you like our assistance?

Best of luck to you.

Barthello: And you.

… Pretty smooth way of dealing with a fan. Do you think he’ll ask you to sign his biceps next time?

Barthello runs deeper into the forest and we follow him, only to get turned around. See, there’s a little red triangle that always points to where the game wants you to go. Pretty standard objective marker, right? Well, yes, which makes it infuriating sometimes because if the path winds around – and it often does – it will often end up pointing back to the way you came. Come out of a long random battle disoriented and not remembering where you came from? In a long, twisting, and samey environment? Then you will end up following the objective marker back up where you came. And hitting random encounters all the way :argh:.

Uh, hi.

… Thanks?

Well, I guess we know where those bird people who played Mika’s theme back in Luca come from. This part of the forest hosts another minigame that rewards you with part of an Ultimate Weapon: butterfly catching. Yep. Find all seven blue butterflies within a rather punishing time limit and get a Sigil; touch a red butterfly and get trapped in a souped-up random encounter. Like… No. Not bothering.

A bit further in, we finally reach the forest floor.

After you open up his shop menu once, he’ll ask you how his prices are. You can tell him they’re just right if you want to be nice or that they’re too low if you’re a masochist, but if you tell him they’re too expensive, he’ll give you another discount. Even if you already invested in him and sent his prices below those of his competitors. :capitalism:

Just past the Al Bhed Primer on the left of the path…

What’s here?

Something you should see.

But, Sir Auron…

It won’t take long.

This is all just water, isn’t it?

This water is what spheres are made of. It absorbs and preserves people’s memories.

Fiends are also attracted to these places.

:nallears:

This boss is viciously difficult until you understand a gimmick, challenging after you start using it, and piss-easy once you figure out how to cheese it. It has two basic attacks: one where it turns into a column and stomps on one character and one where it turns into a big square and hits everybody. The second hits real hard. But the gimmick? The Spherimorph always has one elemental weakness.

If you cast the appropriate elemental spells, you do it substantial damage…

… And shift its element. If you cast any others…

… It heals it and then whacks the party with its new element’s base spell. It’s almost like the devs wanted this boss to force players to learn how to use elemental advantages, except they really should know that already. It doesn’t help that it automatically attacks anyone that physically attacks it with the appropriate spell without using up or delaying its next turn. At its core, this fight is a damage race; keep the party alive despite the torrents of damage this boss puts out and hammer its current weakness with Lulu as hard as you can.

When prepping for this fight, I came up with two potential ways to cheese it.

The first was saving up Lulu’s Overdrive to have her hit it with several -ra spells in a row. I did maybe…

… 4500 damage with it? Quite respectable. And then I used a conventional -ra spell and it did about 2300 damage, so I wasn’t exactly impressed.

My other attempt to prove much more successful. After manipulating it until it switched its element to fire…

… I threw out Ifrit. Funny thing about him: like all elemental Aeons, any attacks that use his element against him actually heal him. And the Spherimorph responds to every melee attack with an elemental spells. And it won’t switch elements unless you use magic against it. With just a little planning and foresight, you can lock it into the loop where it heals almost as much damage as it deals while you chip away at it with standard attacks. It’s a fine balancing act, however; while you can use Ixion, he’s just not as physically oriented as Ifrit, making the fight a bit more precarious. As it was, I ended up having to call back Ifrit before he fainted and get Lulu to hit its weakness a couple times – and that killed it. Definitely a challenging boss, but one that can be outsmarted and brought down pretty quickly. It took me a while, though. Do you know why? It’s because I used Ifrit’s Overdrive on it. Because I forgot his Overdrive was ALSO a Fire-type move and thought it did generic physical damage. And Hellfire healed it for 30,000 HP. And Ifrit did 500 to 600 damage to it per attack. Had I not tried to get clever, I wouldn’t have had to withdraw Ifrit at all :cripes:.

Anyway.

Wakka picks it up.

Whoa, this is old! Don’t know if you can play it back.

:aaa:

Gimme gimme! Let me have a look!

51-Jecht's Theme-FFX OST

We’ll be seeing a lot of neat things, right? So I thought I’d record it all in this. To show to my wife and kid, you know.

This is no pleasure cruise!

Killjoy. Hey, Braska. Ain’t this supposed to be a grand occasion? Where’re the cheering fans? The crying women?

This is it.

Well, it better be a lot more colorful when we come back. A parade for Braska, vanquisher of Sin!

Braska laughs softly.

We should go. Day will break soon.

:rolleyes:

That should be enough.

Jecht…

… I suppose you’re right.

Lord Braska, we shouldn’t be wasting our time like this!

Jecht starts to wander off.

What’s the hurry, man?

Let me tell you what the hurry is!

Auron!

Man, he couldn’t even take this seriously.

Wait, I think there’s more.

If you’re sitting there, watching this… It means you’re stuck in Spira, like me. You might not know when you’ll get back home, but you better not be crying! Although, honestly? I wouldn’t blame you. But you know what? There’s a time when you have to stop crying and move on.

And… Well, uh… Never mind. I’m no good at these things.

He gets up and picks up the sphere.

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 17, 2021

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

One of the most emotional sequences in the game.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

silvergoose posted:

One of the most emotional sequences in the game.

Yeah... and yet the main thing I wanted to comment about was that loving butterfly minigame! :argh:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bifauxnen posted:

Yeah... and yet the main thing I wanted to comment about was that loving butterfly minigame! :argh:

It sucks!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
This game may have a few flaws, but the fact that every single minigame (outside the first Blitzball game) is completely optional is definitely a point in it's favor

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

This game may have a few flaws, but the fact that every single minigame (outside the first Blitzball game) is completely optional is definitely a point in it's favor

Does lightning dodging count as a minigame :negative:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Falconier111 posted:

Does lightning dodging count as a minigame :negative:

I consider it optional in the sense that you can completely ignore it as long as you don't have blood pressure issues

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I think the cloisters of trails are a kind of minigame.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

The upcoming section is... Whew. Wakka says some things that are unfortunate an update or two down the line and bringing them in line with the standards and worldbuilding means I have to write some unfortunate things. It doesn’t help that in the societies I’m modeling my take of Spira on, racism, while present, took a fundamentally different form from what we’re familiar with, and it’s hard to describe it without seeming like I’m trying to excuse one or the other. Add that to how I have to keep what I’m writing in line with the game’s rickety treatment of the subject matter and keeping things respectful in general... Please be patient if the next few updates end up loving up somehow and let me know what’s going on so I can fix it. I didn’t start LPing FFX to get engaged in Discourse, but here we are :negative:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Writing for a racist character does not mean you endorse or approve of their opinions. They are part of the story being told, nothing more and nothing less. All I have to say on the matter.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Falconier111 posted:

Oh, I am looking forward to using Mug to turn Rikku into Kenshiro :unsmigghh:. That has to be my favorite glitch in FFX.

I'm unfamiliar with this glitch so I'll be looking forward to it too.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Update 31: He Just Didn’t Know How To Express It

Jecht… He… He was always talking about going home, to Zanarkand. He didn’t take things seriously at first. He wanted to use us as a way to get back home to Zanarkand. But as he journeyed with us and came to understand Spira, and Braska’s resolve… He decided he would join Braska in his fight against Sin.

He gave up on going home?

That was his decision.

(You know, I think the part that hit hardest was him not blaming me for crying. My old man HATED weakness. He NEVER compromised on anything, even when it hurt him and his family. That was his thing. That was his identity. But… Everybody kept telling me he was different here, and I never believed it. But the Jecht I knew would never say that, and, well, he did. I guess I understood.)

(He wanted to go back, but he knew he couldn’t. He couldn’t go on until he accepted it. Besides… Even if he had found a way back… I don’t think he would have left his friends behind before their journey was complete.)

Alright, let’s go, guys!

Each sphere covers another landmark event in Jecht’s personal development, some of which we’ve already heard discussed. I can’t guarantee I’ll find all of them, but this is the sort of thing I’ll be going out of my way for.

Hm?

Jecht loved you. He just didn’t know how to express it, he said.

He loved me about as much as he loved anybody, and that wasn’t much. I know he was different, but it’s too little, too late.

I just thought you should know.

21-Fantasy-FFX OST (RECOMMENDED LISTENING)

O’aka XXIII: He’ll be rich by tomorrow all on account of this celebration thing!

His prices are still lower than they are inside the Travel Agencies. Not sure if I mentioned that; every Travel Agency has a shopkeeper that sells weapons and items, as well as a clerk that’ll rent you a room for the night for free – which is almost comically redundant outside of setting up cut scenes, since there’s always a Save Sphere right next to them. Wait, I’m pretty sure I did mention that. Oh well. If you weren’t into long-winded explanations of basic gameplay, why’d you pick up an SSLP in the first place :v:?

Clasko: Would you look at this? They always leave me behind.

The chocobo chirps in irritation.

Clasko: Oh, you want me to scratch you? There.

The chocobo chirps in contentment.

Clasko: Good boy!

How’d you know what it wanted?

Clasko: I’ve always been able to tell how chocobos feel. I think that’s part of why nobody gives me any respect: I’m a lot better at looking after the animals than riding them. Maybe I’d make a better chocobo breeder than Chocobo Knight, huh? Hey, what job do you see me doing?

->Chocobo Knight
Clasko: Oh… Really? For a moment, I thought you’d say “breeder.”

->Chocobo Breeder
Clasko: Yeah! I think so too! Hmm… You know, I might just give it a try.

I take the second option because it’s the one that’ll let me access that chest later :ssh:.

Clasko: Should I resign my commission? Would Captain Lucil let me? Elma would probably laugh at me. Wow, I think this is the first time I’ve seriously thought about my life.

This is the first motel in a while where Rin doesn’t show up to give us a Primer. This function is our consolation prize.

Temple not far. Why stop here?

Truly an inspired choice.

It is great news. I’d like to congratulate her. But… It is a pity. I’d hoped Lady Yuna would defeat Sin and bring the Calm to Spira.

Nah, Yuna’s still gonna journey, even after she’s married.

Ah! That is also great news! Her resolve is admirable! Would you like to hear about Macalania?

:shrug:

Lake Macalania is frozen over all through the year. It stays frozen even on the hottest of days. It is said that the temple’s fayth is the cause of this fantastic phenomenon! And that is all for today. Hopefully I can be present at the wedding. It is not every day that one can attend such a joyous event.

After healing up, we walk out onto the lake.

Tromell: We were surprised you decided to come so soon. Pleasantly surprised, of course. Lord Seymour sends his apologies for having left without notice.

It’s quite all right. I have one question, if I may, sir.

Tromell: My lady?

I want to keep journeying, even if I marry. Do you think that Maester Seymour would let me?

Tromell: But of course, my lady. Lord Seymour wishes nothing else, I’m sure.

We’re all with you. Do as you will.

Tromell: Well… We must follow Guado tradition. I’ll have to ask you wait here a little while longer. I’ll send someone to escort you.

We’re all with you. Do as you will.

:shobon:

…?

Yuna!

He whistles, loudly.

!

Oh no!

Motion blur overtakes the screen as Al Bhed circle Tromell and Yuna with snowmobiles; the party springs into action and runs to them. In theory. In practice, you have freedom of movement now, so you could theoretically go back to O’aka and buy up some potions or whatever. You can also run into random encounters, which I did, multiple times, which broke up the pacing. A lot.

Tromell: Thank you!

:mad:

Yuna rips her hand out of Tromell’s and runs back to the group.

Tromell: My lady!

Head to safety. We’ll handle this.

See? I told you we’ve collected enough Primers to start decoding Al Bhed in the wild.

Translation?

They’re gonna use an anti-magic field!

Mohawk Al Bhed: <Get them!>

Wow, they actually found a tank somewhere. No more fighting sports gear for us! The Crawler here switches between two attack patterns depending on whether or not the Negator’s currently in play. As long as it’s active, you can’t use any kind of magic or summon, seriously cramping your damage potential.

The Crawler also periodically unleashes a machine gun on you, though it’s not as intimidating as it sounds; the damage is spread out randomly across your party and the shots miss almost as often as they hit. Unless you’re willing to spend to spend a bunch of potions and just wail away at it with Auron, Kimahri, and Tidus, your best bet is having Wakka knock the Negator out of the sky, then Haste him (and maybe Yuna) before switching him out for Lulu.

The Crawler has the machina-standard lightning weakness, meaning Lulu’s Thundaras can outpace the rest of the party’s combined damage output. The only issue is that it automatically counters anyone who hits it by ramming them, causing almost as much damage as the Gatling Gun would have if all of its bullets had hit home on one character. Well, actually, that’s not the only issue.

With the magic suppression field out of play, the Crawler can now break out its main cannon. Instead of attacking, it spends a few turns charging up before unleashing an attack so powerful that it may just down your whole party. Instead of trying to tank it…

… I threw out an Aeon to take the blow for me. Like normal characters, summons can defend, but they have to do so in a way that prevents their Overdrive gauge from rising. Not that that’s an issue in this case. I probably should’ve used Ixion here, but what can I say, I just like Ifrit :shrug:. Eventually, I’ll start running into bosses so powerful that their attacks will punch through any kind of defenses I could set up; since summons, as strong as they can be, are kind of disposable, I’ll probably be switching them in from time to time as human Aeon sacrifices. I didn’t need to go that far here, though.

If the battle takes long enough, the boss will eventually deploy a second Negator, switching it back to its first attack pattern. However, if you Hasted Wakka already, you’ll be able to take it out before it has time to use more than one Gatling Gun. While in theory it can repeat this process indefinitely, it really shouldn’t last very long after that, and it may not even last long enough to deploy it at all if you’re really taking out all the stops.

In Final Fantasy X, it’s not uncommon to come out of battles you barely survived with parties at nearly full health. Losing all of your party members isn’t how you lose. Instead, no matter how good your reserves are, if your entire active party goes down, you’re done. Bosses use massive, full-party attacks like Mana Beam as their centerpiece abilities, and unless you can find ways to neutralize them, that’s how they take you down. If anything, that’s what the Crawler exists to teach you.

<Yuna is safe! We will guard her! She is safe!>

Mohawk Al Bhed: <You do this alone, sister!>

He and the surviving Al Bhed leave, abandoning their equipment on the ice.

Hey Rikku, how come you speak Al Bhed?

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 11, 2021

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
As an aside, I think proper nouns (Rikku, Yuna, Sin) are the same in both Spiran (which sounds suspiciously like, and uses the same grammar as, English) and Al Bhed. No reason why "airship" is the same word in both languages as far as I can tell.

Also, do Haste and Slow ever end when Tidus casts them? Or do they remain for the rest of the combat/until their target is knocked out of combat?

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Snorb posted:

Also, do Haste and Slow ever end when Tidus casts them? Or do they remain for the rest of the combat/until their target is knocked out of combat?

That's right. Effects like Haste, Reflect, etc are permanent until dispelled or the character is KOed. Haste can also be overwritten with Slow.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

I remember this fight, though I think I just brute forced it rather than figure the gimmick out - they didn't give it quite enough bulk to ensure the "lesson" hit home.

Also, you have Clasko saying "writing" rather than "riding" early in the update.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Kinda funny you mention trying to get all the Jecht Spheres when most of them are found by backtracking all the way to Besaid. Including one in Besaid that you either get now or have to defeat Dark Valefor to get it :unsmigghh:

...Granted you can just Zanmato Dark Valefor and the rest are no problem but after you mentioning not backtracking for Blitzball it's funny.

v Yeah, in Japanese they replace kana instead of letters. The fun part is the replacements have the same vowels so technically Japanese Al Bhed is slightly easier to understand than in other languages, in the sense of pronunciation.

GiantRockFromSpace fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 11, 2021

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I have never thought about this until now, but does anybody know how the al-bed language mechanic is handled in the original Japanese? Are there 50ish primers for a set of kana, or what?

e:
Also, it is a bit strange that Wakka doesn't notice that Titus spent most of game slowly learning al-bhed. I know that the game just doesn't acknowledge you doing optional content during the main plot, but it contributes to making him look quite dumb.

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 11, 2021

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

JohnCompany posted:

I remember this fight, though I think I just brute forced it rather than figure the gimmick out - they didn't give it quite enough bulk to ensure the "lesson" hit home.

Also, you have Clasko saying "writing" rather than "riding" early in the update.

Thanks for the warning, I’ll fix it in a bit. Don’t worry, they’ll make sure that lesson hits home soon enough :unsmigghh:.

VictualSquid posted:

I have never thought about this until now, but does anybody know how the al-bed language mechanic is handled in the original Japanese? Are there 50ish primers for a set of kana, or what?

e:
Also, it is a bit strange that Wakka doesn't notice that Titus spent most of game slowly learning al-bhed. I know that the game just doesn't acknowledge you doing optional content during the main plot, but it contributes to making him look quite dumb.

Apparently there are still 26 primers, but the substitution cypher is a lot more complex in ways I don’t understand since I don’t know Japanese (press ctrl+f -> Al Bhed). Probably so they could localize the game on languages that use the Latin alphabet more easily. Also, you’re assuming Wakka is at all perceptive. Or can tie his shoelaces without help. I know I’ve been rewriting him as a theologian, but the game has an extremely low opinion of his intelligence.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

So was Jecht actually a poo poo Dad or are Tidus' memories not all there?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
He absolutely was a terrible parent

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

He absolutely was a terrible parent

Yeah, he’s canonically an abuser.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

The game basically takes the stance that, while Jecht may have been an rear end in a top hat, he still loved Tidus deep down.

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

Update 30 posted:

Man, you don’t personal card all that often.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Thank.

LJN92 posted:

The game basically takes the stance that, while Jecht may have been an rear end in a top hat, he still loved Tidus deep down.

True. The game’s approach to abuse is... Weird. It manages to bring up good, rarely-considered points about the nature of abusive relationships, but... You can tell it was written 20 years ago. It’s complicated, and the sort of thing that I’ll be exploring in some depth.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Falconier111 posted:

You can tell it was written 20 years ago.

I dunno if I'd attribute it to the time period. I'd say it's more of an "unconditional love" thing.

I had a dad that was kind of like Jecht. I cut ties with him as a teenager. But occassionally, I'd hear from people who would say "But he's your father". As in, they thought that, no matter how bad a person he was, I ought to have strove to maintain some relationship with him, and that there was "love" there no matter how anyone behaved.

Even my own mum, who got divorced from him because of what an rear end in a top hat he was, still tells me that I ought to have a relationship with him.

Point is, as far as I can tell, some people just really, really believe in "unconditional love" between family, no matter what actually happened.

Twib
Dec 24, 2013

LJN92 posted:

The corollary to that, I feel, is that I don't recall Tidus ever being, like, shamed or portrayed as in the wrong for feeling the way he does towards Jecht. There are sequences where he's mocked in flashbacks or dream sequences, but I always saw those as representative of his childhood trauma and not the game saying 'Jecht was right to be an rear end in a top hat to his kid.'

Tidus thanking Auron for telling him about Jecht is less 'I am forgiving and appreciate my father' and more 'thank you for giving me more context'. The game has a lot of interesting stuff to say about abuse and parents specifically, but I feel they handle Jecht with something resembling nuance.

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

LJN92 posted:

I don't even think it was that "deep down". Jecht did love his kid, but he knew he was a poo poo father who didn't even know where to begin with a kid and kinda used that as an excuse not to get better. Not until he got to Spira and had to face the reality of his son never seeing his dad again, for good or ill. Maybe I'm giving the game too much credit, but I read Jecht's arc as a dad who was equal parts abusive and neglectful and by the end is not looking to be forgiven and reconciled but to give his son closure by accepting the consequences for his past parenting.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Update 32: All You Can Come Up With

… You knew?

The rest of the party nods.

We didn’t tell you because… This would happen.

… I can’t believe it. All this time, I’ve been traveling with an Al Bhed! A blasphemer!

We don’t have anything against Yevon!

And yet you use forbidden machina! War machina, laborsaving machina, anything you can build or dig up! That’s what you have against Yevon!

What gives you the right to tell us what we can or can’t do?

The teachings say it’s machina that led to Sin!

You just keep repeating stuff you’ve read! All you got is a bunch of ancient rumors that got passed down!

Rumors, eh? We know when Sin appeared, we know where, and we know what it went for first – the machina cities! Why it take them down first, huh? And ‘sides, we know Sin is made out of pyreflies, and it showed up right when everybody was dying – it’s the biggest fiend ever, popping up the moment the killing reached its peak! Therefore, Sin is connected to machina!

You got a lot of assumptions going on there! That Sin’s just a big fiend, that it targets machina instead of large populations… You just lift all that out of a book?

Oh, sure, sure. Then tell me, if it wasn’t the Machina Wars…

Thought so. You bad-mouth Yevon and that’s all you can come up with.

… If that’s true, then what are you gonna do about it? Just send more summoners to die and buy time forever? You got a better option?

Sin will be gone once we atone for our past mistakes!

When? How? What does that even mean?

If we keep faith in Yevon’s teachings, it will be gone one day!

You’ve tried that for 1000 years, and guess what – it sure isn’t gone! Don’t you want things to be better? Don’t you want things to change?

… Do you really believe that? Do you really want people to sacrifice their lives fighting Sin forever?

What does an Al Bhed know about sacrifice? You people just ignore the teachings and make the rest of us suffer because you use your machina to take it easy.

Take it easy – Wakka, do you know how the Al Bhed started out?

You rejected the teachings of Yevon –

Wrong! We predate Yevon, by a lot! You know how the Hypello and Guado used to be human but changed? We were changed. They kidnapped our ancestors off the streets and experimented on them to make them better slaves. They took away our ability to use magic and optimized our bodies for machina use. You ever wonder why we have spiral pupils, Wakka?

Why would I –

They built that into our eyes. We can’t see that well, you know? Unless we put on specially-made goggles, then we’re talking practically microscopic. And that’s what’s going on with us! We don’t use machina because we’re trying to like spite Yevon or whatever, we use them because we have no other option. You guys boil water with a Fire spell? Great! We have to build our fire by hand – or we can throw together machina that do for us. We have to put in the extra effort just to get by like as everyone else! And you stay we like to take it easy…

:sigh:

You’re not even listening anymore, are you?

Rikku.

Yeah?

Yeah, they’re tough enough to take getting knocked over. Let me look them over real quick.

We’re not using those, are we? Wait… Sir Auron isn’t an Al Bhed too, is he?

:cripes:

For gently caress’s sake, Wakka, that’s what you take away from this? I mean, getting angry just ’cause you found out Rikku’s an Al Bhed… You guys got along just fine till now, didn’t you?

That’s different. I mean…

Well, I don’t claim to know that much about Spira. And I probably know even less about the Al Bhed, but… I know Rikku’s a good person. She’s just Rikku!

You saw her blow up back there?

And before you insulted her, she was your friend. She knew all of that this whole time and didn’t hold it against you. So what did you do?

… Hmph!

The snowmobiles are back up and ready to go. … Sorry about that.

You’ve done nothing wrong, Rikku.

Look, we can all yell at Wakka later, but it’s freezing. Let’s ride!

Do you even know how to drive one of these?

Tidus says that, but Kimahri sure as hell can drive; he leads the rest of the pack as we head down a narrow canyon. By the way, this snowmobile ride serves as the framing for another affection scene. For whatever reason, we got Rikku this time – fortunately for me, since that conversation’s thematically appropriate. However, you can also have Lulu hitch a ride with you instead of Rikku, or you can watch the two ride away together and ride next to Auron or Kimahri. Look, I TOLD you it was hard to grind affection for the boys, and Kimahri has the smallest selection of affection opportunities of any character in the game; it’s going to be a while before I start consistently pulling his scenes in. The conversations we didn’t get our presented here for context without commentary:

Lulu’s scene posted:

I hope that you’re not too mad at Wakka.

Hey, not at all.

Thank you.

Say, what do you think of Rikku?

Me? She’s… Fun to be with.

Heh! That all?

Well, I can tell she’s not a bad person.

Yeah. You know what the problem is? She’s just another Al Bhed to Wakka. Wakka’s head is as hard as a rock. I bet it’s because of Yevon. Or, you know, something like that.

Well, there’s more to it than that.

Hmm?

Wakka doesn’t like the Al Bhed because of his brother Chappu.

Oh…he used a machina weapon, right? And got killed by Sin. Killed by my old man. drat you, Jecht.

What?

Oh, nothing! Hey… Can someone like a human become Sin ever?

I can’t say that I know, but why?

Just a thought.

Sin is the punishment for, and the incarnation of, crimes we have committed.

Hmm. So, no one really knows what it is?

There’s no need to know, so no one asks. You run or you fight. That is really all you can do. There’s no sense brooding over it.

What, that’s all? I mean, you don’t even wonder?

You really do come from a world where there is no Sin, like you say.

Kimahri’s scene posted:

Say… What do you think about Rikku being an Al Bhed?

Ronso are followers of Yevon. Ronso dislike Al Bhed.

Oh, I get it.

Not Kimarhi. Al Bhed are Al Bhed. Rikku is Rikku. Rikku swore to protect Yuna. And Rikku is not a liar. Kimarhi can tell. So, she is a friend.

You know, you might want to tell her that later. I think she needs to know that we still want her with us.

Kimarhi is surprised.

Why?

Kimahri think you are kind.

Uh, don’t tell anyone, okay?

Auron’s scene posted:

You’re no fun to ride with at all.

What?

I’ll take Kimarhi over you any day!

Hmph. Just don’t do anything rash.

What’s that mean?

I’m saying you should not complicate matters. Or you’ll find yourself trapped, understand?

I don’t need you to tell me that!... I guess there’s some sense in what you’re saying.

Make mistakes.

Huh?

That’s what youth is for after all. Do not waste it.

Rrrgh. So which is it!?

You can already see how I’ve been tweaking some of the worldbuilding here. But those never happened in this LP.

He didn’t have to be so mean, yeah?

Uh… Rikku?

Just kidding!

… Hey, do I look like Yunie, you think?

Huh?

Well, my dad’s sister is Yunie’s mother, yeah?

Oh, so you’re cousins. I never would’ve guessed. So, you’re guarding your family then?

Yeah?

We Al Bhed want to protect all of the summoners, you know? Summoners are… Well, you could say that… They sacrifice themselves to, well… To bring happiness to Spira.

What do you mean…

Yeah, it’s dangerous… But Yuna’s real serious about being a summoner. For Yuna, the pilgrimage means everything to her. You are going to help her, too, aren’t you, Rikku?

Yep. Of course.

(Fun fact: while I added some elaboration to it, the history of the creation of the Al Bhed I talked about up there? It’s actually pretty much canon).

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 17, 2021

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

LJN92 posted:

I dunno if I'd attribute it to the time period. I'd say it's more of an "unconditional love" thing.

I had a dad that was kind of like Jecht. I cut ties with him as a teenager. But occassionally, I'd hear from people who would say "But he's your father". As in, they thought that, no matter how bad a person he was, I ought to have strove to maintain some relationship with him, and that there was "love" there no matter how anyone behaved.

Even my own mum, who got divorced from him because of what an rear end in a top hat he was, still tells me that I ought to have a relationship with him.

Point is, as far as I can tell, some people just really, really believe in "unconditional love" between family, no matter what actually happened.

I ran away from my dad's house (Back to my mother and her new husband) with his bootprint visible on my chest. After that, I basically stopped thinking about him until his alcoholism started severely impacting his health and social situation (The local goody-goody Christian even confided she didn't want to keep helping him). At that point I had some weird cognitive dissonance between my absolute apathy towards him and his situation, and the societal idea of familial love and filial piety. My ultimate takeaway was sometimes your family is a bag of assholes, and it's okay to not like them, no matter what society says.

Falconier111 posted:

(Fun fact: while I added some elaboration to it, the history of the creation of the Al Bhed I talked about up there? It’s actually pretty much canon.

:eyepop:

I guess I never really thought about the hows and whys of there being three distinct subspecies of humans (Although at the time I think I classed the Guado as a type of elf) capable of interbreeding, or if I did I just chalked it up to the half-elf/orc/dragon/ogre/giant/whatever principle: Humans will bone anything.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
1) We all know Wakka can't read

2) Not sure if it was intentional or not, but you gave Rikku a line that says something Tidus hasn't realized yet and has a pretty emotional reaction to when he does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

1) We all know Wakka can't read

2) Not sure if it was intentional or not, but you gave Rikku a line that says something Tidus hasn't realized yet and has a pretty emotional reaction to when he does

Assuming you mean what I think you mean, I feel that line could be interpreted in a way that doesn't give away what she really meant.