Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

You're all missing the most important part where after the trilogy Lightning settles down as her true calling: a Louis Vuitton model.

I'm only half joking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Sure! I'll also add, great work on the LP and that, FFX was my first big RPG so I've always had a soft spot for it.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Snorb posted:

Does the game actually let you kick Tidus off the Aurochs?

No, at worst you can bench him. I mean, who is going to try and kick out the guy who can knock out people with balls underwater (and also has a sword)?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

You know, since the sinspawn are the spawn of Sin (duh), and Sin is apparently Jecht, doesn't that make them Tidus' half-brothers?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

FeyerbrandX posted:

From how Lulu describes it it doesn't sound like a particularly quick process of dying then turning into an evil bug. She made it sound like it requires some psychological changes and getting jealous or angry before that happens.

"Man, gently caress that guy over there, living his life in his tiny hut, waiting for Sin to come and suck it up." *turns into random chunks of burning rock* "I'm gonna gently caress him up"

She does mention it's a slow burn but derived from being dead: the dead envy the living (since being dead probably means, you know, not being able to eat or sleep or other basic functions that would drive you insane) and that envy graduallly leads to worse emotions until you become a man eating plant or a giant bird because "gently caress the living".

It's pretty much based on the Shinto concept of "kegare" or impurity, a natural uncleanesss usually derived from death that needs to be purified (just like how fiends are born from the dark emotions of the dead and need to be Sent by a summonner). This is also why funerals in Japan are generally Buddhist, because Shintoism has this belief over death being unclean.

Fake edit:

Dareon posted:

As far as I understand it, bodily processes are bodily processes. When those cease, you die (But then there's literally being turned into stone and shattered, so my argument may be flawed from the get-go). After death, your soul tends to stick around in the form of pyreflies. Most of the time, this is harmless. Some deaths are quiet, and peaceful, and the decedent passes to the Farplane on their own. Some areas are thick with pyreflies, but not hostile.

But the aftermath of an attack by Sin has a lot of people who died in terror and fear. Those are the souls liable to become fiends, thus the sending. Attacks by fiends can also result in violent, negative-charged deaths, perpetuating the cycle.

Yeah pretty much this. There's a lot to talk about pyreflies and death in Spira but that's entering too much spoiler talk.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Falconier111 posted:

Here’s a fun thing to think about : fiends - all fiends - are created from the spirits of dead people angry at the living. Fiends are also very common if encounter rates are to be trusted; you’ll often run into dozens of them on any path between places. How many people have died in Spira without being sent?

Given that most summonners seem to go on pilgrimage to Zanakarnd, there's probably not many summonners around to keep Sending.

Although Seymour has an Aeon and yet he is not a pilgrimage (given he's a Yevon Maester and all). So maybe some places have retired Summonners who gave up but can keep doing the rites. Not that Seymour would be very inclined to do so...

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Falconier111 posted:

Update 26: A Great Loss For All Of Spira

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a fantasy setting in possession of self-respect, must be in want of elves. Unfortunately, these days, nobody really likes traditional elves: they’re too pretty, too pure, too generally superior to everybody else to be anything other than grating. Even Tolkien’s elves, flawed individuals that ended up screwing over reality, were just flat out better on average than humans, and we are jealous creatures. So these days most settings either paint elves as victims or assholes.

Sometimes even both! You inmediately reminded me of Dragon Age elves with that senteced, who were introduced as an oppressed race who once was glorious and then it turns out they were as bad as the "blood sacrifices every day" mage empire.

I never thought of the Guado as elf-like, funnily enough. I guess it's because they don't seem so.. different? They have weird claws and lots of veins but are still human-like. Then again Seymour is the guado with the most screentime and he's a half-guado so I was just innattentive.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I love how everyone in the world has this absurd fashion sense and there's Tidus' mom, looking like she's picking him up after soccer practice

I mean, there's Tidus. And some of the Zanakarnd people at the prologue/AR simulation. Fashion is in the eye of the ahriman as one would say.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

...wait, is that where the Tidus and Macarena jokes come from? I've heard of them but I never got the why.

Also gonna take the bold option and vote for Kimahri. Because there's nothing like going for the option the game doesn't expect you to.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Falconier111 posted:

That’s good to know, but... I’d have to make Lulu attack to take advantage of that. Lulu. Using a mage’s weapon just feels wrong, you know?

On the other hand, instantly killing a giant monster using a plushie is amazing, so I'd say it balaces out.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

FFX does have one of the highest powerlevel cellings in the series. Outside of maybe one of the XIII saga I don't think any FF game reaches the DPT levels FFX gives you.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Kinda funny you mention trying to get all the Jecht Spheres when most of them are found by backtracking all the way to Besaid. Including one in Besaid that you either get now or have to defeat Dark Valefor to get it :unsmigghh:

...Granted you can just Zanmato Dark Valefor and the rest are no problem but after you mentioning not backtracking for Blitzball it's funny.

v Yeah, in Japanese they replace kana instead of letters. The fun part is the replacements have the same vowels so technically Japanese Al Bhed is slightly easier to understand than in other languages, in the sense of pronunciation.

GiantRockFromSpace fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Yeah, the part is on Sin: it's kind of hard to see but in other scenes where Sin's upper half is shown you can see ruins like the ones the party is above under the lake. Sin is kind of carrying ruins on his back for some reason.

Also this sequence kinda confirms Sin's toxin is real in a way? Like, Sin flips out cause they stopped playing his favourite tune, Tidus has an allucination and suddenly they're on Bikanel. Aren't people who claim to have toxin usually appearing from nowhere? Either Sin has teleportation powers (explaining how he was under the lake, that's still baffling to me) or Sin carried them to Bikanel.