Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Framboise posted:

Dear loving god, Republicans are having a field day today.

The minority, representing 76 million fewer people, wins, somehow.

They're already emboldened for Trump 2024 and it's going to happen.

they didnt win though really. everyone knew this outcome was coming. i am more surprised we got 7 GOP types. id rather have them eat other more now and get some good/decent stuff done. i think 2022 will go well because of said infighting and trump won't win 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

The republican party is literally eating itself alive in a few different states at the moment.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

The republican party is literally eating itself alive in a few different states at the moment.

yeah. i am curious if they will try to have senators removed or some stupid insane poo poo.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I just don't see how you could explain to the voter-base how this all played it as anything other than:
1) The dems demanded witnesses be allowed. Reps obliged, then Dems decided not to bring anyone. Trump was acquitted a few hours later.
2) This was a tactical victory for the democractic party, anyway now that we spent all week on this it'll be another nine days before we can even consider talking about COVID relief.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i am curious if they will try to have senators removed or some stupid insane poo poo.

Cassidy is the really surprising one, but there isn’t a recall option in Louisiana and he just got re-elected in 2020.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

porfiria posted:

Dear God.

Lol yeah, you and everyone who thinks exactly like you is correct 100% of the time and surely needs no ideological push back on anything ever. Give me a break.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

paternity suitor posted:

Lol yeah, you and everyone who thinks exactly like you is correct 100% of the time and surely needs no ideological push back on anything ever. Give me a break.

Conservative and liberal aren’t the only options in speaking of diversity of thought.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

paternity suitor posted:

I think you'll find the left is more than capable of eating itself alive and doesn't need a fascist to help.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

paternity suitor posted:

Pushback on ideas from a Nazi perspective isn't productive. It's not really productive from a neoliberal perspective either, to be honest. Neither of those ideologies is legitimate.

Honest people can disagree, but the Democrats and the Republicans aren't honest.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

they didnt win though really. everyone knew this outcome was coming. i am more surprised we got 7 GOP types. id rather have them eat other more now and get some good/decent stuff done. i think 2022 will go well because of said infighting and trump won't win 2024

You're right, he won't win. He'll say he did though, and cause another riot.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

watching from over in the UK, i didn't think that mitch mcconnel could get more pathetic, but to say "not guilty coz not prez" despite him being the reason the trial was delayed, but then also immediately saying "that motherfucker is fully 100% guilty" the second the trial is over is some seriously pathetic scum level poo poo. nearly unbleliveable

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

paternity suitor posted:

Conservative ideology is only, what, a hundred and fifty years old? And it took a while to migrate to America as a cohesive thing, and you didnt have a proper party devoted to it until the 60s.

Do you think there just wasn't any ideological pushback prior to that or what?

Ghost of RBG
Sep 21, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

It’s crazy how good at getting wins this guy is.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Ghost of RBG posted:

It’s crazy how good at getting wins this guy is.

What do you think happened here?

"There were too many Republicans" was literally all that happened here, Mitch didn't do something amazing clever. The GOP won't turn on Trump through a mix if:

A) Need the votes of Trump voters to stay in office
B) Don't want to be murdered by Trump voters for betraying Dear Leader
C) Actually just love Trump themselves

Ghost of RBG
Sep 21, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

sean10mm posted:

What do you think happened here?

"There were too many Republicans" was literally all that happened here, Mitch didn't do something amazing clever. The GOP won't turn on Trump through a mix if:

A) Need the votes of Trump voters to stay in office
B) Don't want to be murdered by Trump voters for betraying Dear Leader
C) Actually just love Trump themselves

This event is not the first time Mitch has managed to outsmart his political opponents.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

porfiria posted:

Pushback on ideas from a Nazi perspective isn't productive. It's not really productive from a neoliberal perspective either, to be honest. Neither of those ideologies is legitimate.

Honest people can disagree, but the Democrats and the Republicans aren't honest.

The OP did say to strip out all the toxic GOP bullshit, this is sort of an idealized scenario here. If you have 40% of the population who doesn't want change and distrusts anything that might raise taxes, even if they're misinformed or stupid or whatever you want to call them, then they should still have representation and a voice in the discussion. We've just lived through four years of the government doing everything they could to piss off the "minority" party, so I have some issues with telling 40% of the country "no, your way is stupid and we're going to do as many things that you hate as we possibly can" (even if it's the right thing to do!).

Granted we're in some interesting times re: climate change and disease control, and basically I don't care about your opinion if you're scared of the "change" of accepting minority rights, so I dunno, maybe sometimes people need to be dragged kicking and screaming, but I do understand the sentiment.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Ghost of RBG posted:

This event is not the first time Mitch has managed to outsmart his political opponents.

How is "have enough votes" for reasons he doesn't even control "outsmarting" poo poo?

Ghost of RBG
Sep 21, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

sean10mm posted:

How is "have enough votes" for reasons he doesn't even control "outsmarting" poo poo?

He does control that though. You may argue that McConnel has nothing to do with the way the GOP controls and influences government but I think it’s pretty clear he does.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Ghost of RBG posted:

He does control that though. You may argue that McConnel has nothing to do with the way the GOP controls and influences government but I think it’s pretty clear he does.

McConnell must be pissed that Trump undid his life's work in 4 years, then.

The gestalt of Trump is that he's poo poo. Crap approval and republicans moving in mass to Independent and actively looking for a new party is all on Trump.

This impeachment may not have ended with laser death beams eviscerating Trump but it did bring into even sharper focus how bad the Republican position is in relation to him and it's going to hurt the Republican party in 2022 for which active campaigning is only a year away.

The party consists of three factions now. The 'RINO' never Trumpers, the core party (McConnell's faction that enabled trump but wants to move on) and the sedition caucus: MTG, Boebert, Hawley, etc... This could easily be three parties in 2022 and 2024.

Graham was prescient in his, "Trump will destroy us and we will deserve it." statement because that appears to be exactly what's happened.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

More people voted for trump after four years of him than had ever voted for any other republican. If he started a new party, they’d be in trouble, but he’s given them plenty to coast on.

Ghost of RBG
Sep 21, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Murgos posted:

McConnell must be pissed that Trump undid his life's work in 4 years, then.

The gestalt of Trump is that he's poo poo. Crap approval and republicans moving in mass to Independent and actively looking for a new party is all on Trump.

This impeachment may not have ended with laser death beams eviscerating Trump but it did bring into even sharper focus how bad the Republican position is in relation to him and it's going to hurt the Republican party in 2022 for which active campaigning is only a year away.

The party consists of three factions now. The 'RINO' never Trumpers, the core party (McConnell's faction that enabled trump but wants to move on) and the sedition caucus: MTG, Boebert, Hawley, etc... This could easily be three parties in 2022 and 2024.

Graham was prescient in his, "Trump will destroy us and we will deserve it." statement because that appears to be exactly what's happened.

I think plenty of people have predicted the end of the Republicans in several of their 21st century incarnations and the GOP has never failed to gain more and more power, so I’m skeptical of the claims that “the GOP is in shambles” until those elections have come to pass and the Dems are comfortably in power in the majority of states and legislatures.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Even when they were in shambles post Obama's first election, some rich Fucksons just threw money into an astroturf pit that dominated the airwaves for months.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Ghost of RBG posted:

Not having a single ounce of shame is a huge asset to being a Republican. Similar to how lacking a spine will get you big places in the Democratic party.

Mitch is also kind of smart enough to understand that 95% of the GOP base doesn't give a poo poo about hypocrisy anyway and that even those that might never get confronted with it since all their information is filtered thru FOX News and talk radio anyway while everything else that leaks through is fake news.

On the rare occasion that a conservative voter is genuinely faced with a real "that's kinda hosed up" moment, they just move on to how "both sides do the same poo poo" and do a whataboutism.

sean10mm posted:

Totally understanding that his entire base is filled with stupid and often willfully ignorant morons of which he is not one.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 14, 2021

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Mitch is a really bad man and surely hypocritical about stuff but I always feel like people really personify the fact he's the one that speaks for the party in the senate as being him specifically personally doing everything. He goes to meetings and this stuff gets decided, it's not like this is just specifically this guy saying things and it being a thing he came up with himself.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Mitch is a really bad man and surely hypocritical about stuff but I always feel like people really personify the fact he's the one that speaks for the party in the senate as being him specifically personally doing everything. He goes to meetings and this stuff gets decided, it's not like this is just specifically this guy saying things and it being a thing he came up with himself.

Yeah, Mitch's "genius" is in knowing his caucus. He'll go whatever direction they want to. He leads by following, not convincing anyone of anything.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I have no doubt that at those meetings the concept that Mitch approves gets significant consideration and when there is an equal 'this or that' split that it probably comes down on the Mitch endorsed side more often than not.

McConnell is one of the senior voices of the party and has a vast influence. "He's just a guy at a meeting" is not really true.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, Mitch's "genius" is in knowing his caucus. He'll go whatever direction they want to. He leads by following, not convincing anyone of anything.

I agree here. He’s just lucky to lead a caucus which is largely united in racism, greed, and bloodlust.

It’s not a terrifically difficult assignment— particularly when you aren’t beholden to anything like principles or ethics.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

There's nothing clever about what Mitch is doing and he didn't outsmart anyone. He just has votes and has no shame in using them, period. Anyone spinning a 57-43 vote (including 7 defections) to convict the former GOP president as a GOP "win" is working backward from premade conclusions.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
7 defections is honestly 4 or 5 more than I expected. I assumed Mitch and Sasse would defect and one of Murkowski or Collins.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

More people voted for trump after four years of him than had ever voted for any other republican. If he started a new party, they’d be in trouble, but he’s given them plenty to coast on.

And more people voted against Trump than have voted for ANYONE OR ANYTHING in 100 years. A lot more time is going to need to pass before we have any idea of what either of those facts means for either party I think.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Sanguinia posted:

And more people voted against Trump than have voted for ANYONE OR ANYTHING in 100 years. A lot more time is going to need to pass before we have any idea of what either of those facts means for either party I think.

Less than voted for his opponent though. Let’s see if that momentum carries before we run around screaming in panic.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

alpha_destroy posted:

7 defections is honestly 4 or 5 more than I expected. I assumed Mitch and Sasse would defect and one of Murkowski or Collins.

I was only expecting one defection, which was to be Romney again, so I was surprised that they got 7.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
I'm still baffled by Bill Cassidy's most of all. I know he just won re-election, so he's safe for 6 years, but you'd think that even the most safe of GOP politicians would want to avoid pissing off chuds.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Rea posted:

I'm still baffled by Bill Cassidy's most of all. I know he just won re-election, so he's safe for 6 years, but you'd think that even the most safe of GOP politicians would want to avoid pissing off chuds.

Broken clock, twice a day, etc. Even the worst folks can have moments of clarity.

Edit: Especially when their personal safety was threatened, like it was on 1/6. I imagine that kind of poo poo can do a number on some people. The rest of the Republicans stared into the abyss, saw it stare back, and had greater fear of future retribution than they felt on Insurrection Day.

generic one fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 15, 2021

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

generic one posted:

Edit: Especially when their personal safety was threatened, like it was on 1/6. I imagine that kind of poo poo can do a number on some people. The rest of the Republicans stared into the abyss, saw it stare back, and had greater fear of future retribution than they felt on Insurrection Day.

I wonder if that's actually what they're afraid of. If they came that close in the capital, they might be wondering what it might be like back in their home state if they vote to impeach.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

On Terra Firma posted:

I wonder if that's actually what they're afraid of. If they came that close in the capital, they might be wondering what it might be like back in their home state if they vote to impeach.

Look how quickly the Trumpists turned on his own VP. If it can happen to Mike Pence, it can happen to them.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Graham wants to impeach Kamala for promoting an organization that was providing bail to BLM arrestees.

Lol

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

Graham wants to impeach Kamala for promoting an organization that was providing bail to BLM arrestees.

Lol

Source? Also lol.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Angry_Ed posted:

Source? Also lol.

https://nypost.com/2021/02/14/sen-graham-says-kamala-harris-could-be-impeached-if-gop-takes-over-the-house/

He says that Kamala Harris gave some money to a bail fund, so she's now responsible for every crime committed by anyone that bail fund helped forever, and he's sorry for America that it's come to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mystic Mongol posted:

https://nypost.com/2021/02/14/sen-graham-says-kamala-harris-could-be-impeached-if-gop-takes-over-the-house/

He says that Kamala Harris gave some money to a bail fund, so she's now responsible for every crime committed by anyone that bail fund helped forever, and he's sorry for America that it's come to this.

lol ok, do it rear end in a top hat, because poo poo like that won't help you win.