Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

This is the thread to ask your questions about poker or gambling you were afraid to ask because you're too worried that people will make fun of you.

Well worry no more! Ask away in this thread! This is a safe space, no trolling will be allowed here

Current Rules
* Anybody trolling against a legitimate question someone has will be probated.
* The only question that you should not ask here is to ask whether or not poker is rigged or, "I've noticed that I've run my Kings into Aces way more times than I think is normal" kind of questions.

Here is the answer to that: People are pattern matching machines so anytime something occurs more than once and it's a negative result, they tend to think those events are occurring more often than they actually are.

If you have real evidence, over a large sample size, then feel free to make a new thread about it. But asking that question here may or may not get you a serious answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

~~~PLACEHOLDER~~~

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Aredna posted:

Is it against the rules to ask for advice on were to find the best initial deposit bonus for a specific site? Seemed ok, but don't want to risk any issues now that the forum is back.

Yes I think that's fine. But anything that will earn money for the person telling you about it (e.g. affiliate links with rakeback or % cuts) are not allowed. So you can ask where can I go to get a 100% bonus? they can say, "go to ABC" but saying, "sign up for with my referrer link on ABC" is not allowed.

What the Admins want to avoid is anything that involves money on the site, which includes commissions/affiliates/rakebacks etc.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

To add to what Baddog wrote, if you get Ed Miller's book, make sure you get, "Small Stakes No Limit Hold'em" and not "Small Stakes Hold'em", Pretty sure Baddog isn't intentionally trying to get you to buy SSHE, but if you do, you will get information about how to play limit hold em. it's a fine book about limit hold em but you'll probably prefer to play no limit, which is what most of the poker population thinks of when they think of hold'em.

I'm not sure about the quality of SSNLHE, but I bought the first book the trio wrote together >10 years ago, called Professional No-Limit Hold'em Vol 1 and that one was pretty good. That'd probably be the recommended one if SSNLHE had not come out. And yeah to reiterate, it is for cash games.

Not sure what State your in, but it would probably be much harder for a bar to host a cash game vs a tournament so you should make sure. Hell just call them up and ask.