Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heather Papps

hello friend

yally

i have this fairly old coheed and cambria sweater. i love it very much, and have basically had one or another coheed hoodie that acted as security blanket since i was 14.
i moved last year and it took a while for me to realize that the dryer was aggressive and would frequently remove zippers from things, till i turned the tumble speed down.

ANYWAYS
i decided to fix the zipper that had sort of broken. the base(?) of the zipper that kept the clasping mechanism from falling off the bottom was busted off, so i put the zipper piece back on, then glued said base with superglue back onto the zipper rail. let me show you a photograph. can you find the way i totally hosed it up?

please share your misadventures in repair so i can feel better about what i've done. (also tell me how to fix this (also teach me zipper terms))

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutonForensic

i forgot to drill a pilot hole for a cheap wood screw and it got stuck in the wall. i stripped the screw trying to get it out so i bought a set of cheap screw extractor bits which just hollowed out the head more without giving any grip. then i used a saw to try cutting a groove into the screw to fit a flathead, but the saw was also a piece of poo poo. the screw stayed half-embedded in the wall for a month before i just gave $5 to a neighbor who actually bothered to spend money on decent tools

alnilam

I'm very sorry for laughing but lmao

alnilam

FutonForensic posted:

i forgot to drill a pilot hole for a cheap wood screw and it got stuck in the wall. i stripped the screw trying to get it out so i bought a set of cheap screw extractor bits which just hollowed out the head more without giving any grip. then i used a saw to try cutting a groove into the screw to fit a flathead, but the saw was also a piece of poo poo. the screw stayed half-embedded in the wall for a month before i just gave $5 to a neighbor who actually bothered to spend money on decent tools

I have definitely done this sort of thing multiple times mostly on bike parts

biosterous

acetone can dissolve super glue pretty nicely, so you could take it apart easy-ish and try again

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Queen-Of-Hearts

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

HP you need a zipperator reconfuckulation device.

Queen-Of-Hearts

I have put the alignment/focus sheet into the developer tray after "exposing" it more times than i care to remember.

Im also the queen of forgetting the lens hood on my Mamiya TLR.
BUT... I'm still not as bad as that man on youtube that pronounced it "mommy-uh."
Wtf.

Oh and my most common fuckup is not checking the fixer before putting it in the film tank, then having to mix more and redo twenty minutes later and that fucker just will not go back on the reel while wet so don't bother.

Queen-Of-Hearts fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 11, 2021

:h: sig by Prof. Crocodile:h:
:byodame:BYOB spells: Mutually Assured Kindness:byodame:

Zurtilik

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I broke my toilet tank trying to take it off to see something. Had to replace the whole toilet. =)

FutonForensic

Zurtilik posted:

I broke my toilet tank trying to take it off to see something. Had to replace the whole toilet. =)

with the right framing, this can definitely be passed off as a feat of strength

Heather Papps

hello friend

alnilam posted:

I'm very sorry for laughing but lmao

i knew i wouldn't be the only one

biosterous posted:

acetone can dissolve super glue pretty nicely, so you could take it apart easy-ish and try again

gonna try this asap. THANKS BIOS!!!

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

RickRogers

Woh, is that a thing I like??
Tried to fix my electric car windows. Car can no longer be locked up.

Tried to fix car locks. Car windows are fixed. Car locks are still broken. Car door is broken.

Tried to fix car key. Ordered wrong replacement key parts. Broke key. Car still won't lock.

Tried to get car out of snow. Broke car.

:rip: car

RickRogers

Woh, is that a thing I like??

Goodbye my old car,
Though I never washed you at all
You had the pace to win a race,
While those around you stalled

alnilam

:sadwave:

ty manifisto

Heather Papps

hello friend

RickRogers posted:

Goodbye my old car,
Though I never washed you at all
You had the pace to win a race,
While those around you stalled

:cry::rip:

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Queen-Of-Hearts

RIP to a real one.

:h: sig by Prof. Crocodile:h:
:byodame:BYOB spells: Mutually Assured Kindness:byodame:

alexandriao

We stan a hero (car)

alexandriao

Remembering a time I used some lovely software boot disk to repartition my drive, and I needed to erase a partition. But.... I had the entire drive selected

and there was no warning confirmation dialogue

I sat there a good half hour before I realised that that was way too long for a 20gb partition to be erased, and it was erasing, the entire disk.

Thank god for backups!

edit: also thank god for photorec

StupidSexyMothman

thinking back to when I hosed up my BIOS to the point where it wouldn't even boot long enough to recognize that I'd reset the BIOS.

reminiscing about destroying the best CD player I ever owned because I ran out of batteries and jammed an AC adapter that was not for the CD player into the CD player's power port. it's been like 20 years and every so often i catch myself thinking "i bet it was just a fuse, if i learn to solder i could probably fix it in like ten minutes" as if i still have the thing, or have use for a CD player lmao

biosterous

today:

forgot to turn on the slow cooker this morning. oh well, no biggie, i'll just cook it on high for half the time, like the recipe says.

so i definitely do that. and i cook my pot of rice, and go and look at the chicken, and welp no actually instead of setting it to "cook on high" it set it to "keep warm" so it's just a crockpot full of slightly-warmed chicken and sauce, not at all safe to eat

fresh rice and uncooked chicken. tomorrow i will have cooked chicken, but old rice

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Both my marriages, op.

:(

hey mom its 420

when i tried to fix this towel hanger
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLOMs0_kFBk

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

ChubbyChecker

Heather Papps posted:

yally

i have this fairly old coheed and cambria sweater. i love it very much, and have basically had one or another coheed hoodie that acted as security blanket since i was 14.
i moved last year and it took a while for me to realize that the dryer was aggressive and would frequently remove zippers from things, till i turned the tumble speed down.

ANYWAYS
i decided to fix the zipper that had sort of broken. the base(?) of the zipper that kept the clasping mechanism from falling off the bottom was busted off, so i put the zipper piece back on, then glued said base with superglue back onto the zipper rail. let me show you a photograph. can you find the way i totally hosed it up?

please share your misadventures in repair so i can feel better about what i've done. (also tell me how to fix this (also teach me zipper terms))

lmao

ChubbyChecker

many glued things can be taken apart by striking them with a hammer, and it's not like that would make the zipper function any worse

if that doesn't work you could cut off the bottom stop with plyers, take off and turn the slider, and glue another bottom stop to replace the old one

another hint: if your slider doesn't close the zipper anymore, you can fix it by squeezing it with plyers

nut

take the entire zipper lengths off of each side of the hoodie and flip them and reverse them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao

biosterous posted:

today:

forgot to turn on the slow cooker this morning. oh well, no biggie, i'll just cook it on high for half the time, like the recipe says.

so i definitely do that. and i cook my pot of rice, and go and look at the chicken, and welp no actually instead of setting it to "cook on high" it set it to "keep warm" so it's just a crockpot full of slightly-warmed chicken and sauce, not at all safe to eat

fresh rice and uncooked chicken. tomorrow i will have cooked chicken, but old rice

this is actually a miracle because now you can have fried rice :smuggo: