Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

https://www.takproject.net/

Installing TAKP
The client for TAKP is easily downloaded and configured with instructions from the website:
http://wiki.takp.info/index.php?title=Getting_Started

Some Background
The Al'Kabor Project is an attempt at the most faithful emulation server of "Classic Planes of Power era" Everquest available. The server it attempts to emulate, Al'Kabor, was a server launched by SOE to support Everquest: Macintosh Edition back in 2003. This was an opportunity seized by SOE at the time to support a limited population of Mac users wanting to play Everquest on native macOS (which were based on powerpc architecture at the time). The server launched with the Planes of Power expansion and, not surprisingly, did not reach major commerical success. As a consequence, the server didn't receive major content updates, and lasted in the PoP-era unchanged for essentially a decade.

In ~February 2012, the server was threatened to be shut-down. When this was met with an out-cry the server was changed to a F2P server, but without all the weird stuff that you get with the F2P servers today. Moreover, a modified "intel" client was developed by players that allowed for PC users to play on the server. What resulted was a classic era everquest with essentially unlimited free accounts and (not suprising) a number of players "boxing," or using multiple clients to control characters simultaneously. As far as I can tell, there was no limit to the use of MacroQuest on the original Al'Kabor, and hence a stigma developed against boxing. The association with this has hurt TAKP because, for most, the idea of running around with a bunch of AI controlled bots doesn't sound fun. Moreover, a lot of people are indimidated by the technical complexity of playing with multiple clients. I'll address these issues later. Also, it is somewhat of a meme that there is "no boxing" in Project 1999. It's not talked about, but be assured that it's happening there, just in principally less obvious ways that having your box /follow you through a dungeon. Note: TAKP allows for 3 simultaneous logins, but does not allow use of MacroQuest or other applications that automatically perform actions.

Al'Kabor was officially shut down in November 2013, about a year and half after it had gone F2P. I actually tried it out briefly in that interval and remember dying in field of bone trying to manage 6 characters at once. At the time decided it was not for me. Six boxes are too much (unless maybe your party is full of pet classes?).

TAKP launched in early 2015. The objective was to use the EQemu codebase to emulate the Al'Kabor server as faithfully as possible. The accuracy the server devs have been able to capture makes other servers pale in comparison. This is because the community developing TAKP were able to more proactively sniff packets, record video, and document the mechanics of the server a decade after it launched and when the concept of emulating a MMORPG had already been demonstrated and the demand for a faithfully recreated "classic" experience and been established. TAKP, as a project, was also aiming to make all of its development and content open-sourced. While a good-faith gesture, this actually hurt the server, and it's currently closed source with 2014-era code and db available out there.

The launch timing of TAKP could not have been worse. The majority of emulated Everquest players populated the Project 1999 server. In 2015, P99 had been in existence for over 5 years, with the server stuck in the Ruins of Kunark expansion for almost 4 of them. In early 2015 P99 also announced they had reached an agreement with Darkpaw Games to keep the P99 servers online indefinitely-- part of this agreement was delaying the release of the Scars of Velious expansion until August 2015. When TAKP launched, it launched in the pre-Kunark era. Not only did TAKP not compete with regard to expansions on competing projects at the time, a separate group took all the open source TAKP development work (database, codebase), and splintered a different server project called Project 2002. This server has since renamed itself to Wayfarer's Haven, and now has a distinct objective of ending expansion releases in the Omens of War expansion (they are currently releasing Legacy of Ykesha). I'm not going to digress too much on Haven other than to say the project presumably divided what was already a limited player base.

Where is TAKP today?
It's been about six years since launch, and the server has progressed to the Shadows of Luclin expansion, the expansion following Scars of Velious. Planes of Power content is developed and close to being finished. It is currently available to test on the Development server for TAKP, which any player can access http://wiki.takp.info/index.php?title=Dev_Server_Access.

A disginguishing piece of TAKP is that it has a GM enforced Raid Rotation schedule. This makes for, as far as I can tell, a relativley happy and accomodating player base. There are five major guilds: Destiny, Imperium, Nephilim/Azure Guard, Temerity, & Black Sheep. I've recently joined Black Sheep as their raid schedule matches mine and they seem to be a reasonable group. There are some other guilds on the server but it's not clear their relative activity and engagement.

Differences from P99

A large talking point for the most populated Everquest server, Project 1999, is that it somehow is the most faithful recreation of classic Everquest-- but play long enough and certain mechanics will emerge that are decidedly not classic: aoe limits on mob count (25), Quillmane spawn mechanics, the brute-force of the devs to recreate human night vision that does crazy things with the gamma, and can cause distorted colors on armor (such as cleric hate amor appearing gold instead of purple). The client used by P99 also allows for out-of-ear mechanics due to its use of titanium client, such as mousewheel zoom for 3rd person. Aside from boxing, this is by far one of the most divisive mechanics that doesn't exist in the classic era but that people have become accustomed. There are camera angles that allow for you to see your character, but they don't follow your model "chasing" from behind like they do on the titanium client. Get accustomed to first person!

There are also interesting additions from the devs, such as a function through the forums that lets you look up all the spells your character has learned and find where the scrolls are sold/dropped that are required for the spells you don't have.

Boxing
The other big difference about TAKP is that it allows 3-boxing (as well as a 4th client that can be used to exclusively trade in the bazaar). To do this you would register a forum account and 3 client accounts. You would then launch the client 3 times ("Client1", "Client2", "Client3"). The client includes a copy of HotKeyNet. After you launch HotKeyNet you can "Load Script" "Script.txt" that will map Numpad 1, Numpad 2, and Numpad 3 to client1, client2, and client 3, respectively. To this end, you can either use you numpad (or remap a gaming mouse or other peripheral) to change the foreground client you're controlling, and use the same input devices for 3 clients. I play with the three clients lined up in series, but I've met people who make it work on a gaming laptop with the clients overlapping and use GINA triggers to notify them if they take damage, for example.

Why is this interesting/fun? Well technically with 15 classes and 3 active clients, the permutations of the party you can make is 680 (though not sure what leveling paladin, paladin, paladin would look like...). The first "trio" I've leveled to 60 was magician, necromancer, and druid. Was a fun combination that paired well with conventional "trinity" trio combinations but has now been a litte hampered with mobs 51+ ability to summon players. A very conentional trio for a starting player is Shadow Knight / Enchanter/ Cleric, with an unconventional trio being Wizard/Wizard/Wizard (though guilds would love this trio, if you could stand leveling it). There are many threads on the TAKP forums discussing possible trio combinations. If you do decide to try the server, I suggest giving a trio or duo a chance, or at least pick a somewhat self-sustaining class. The XP modifiers on the server strongly encourages recruiting a 4th player. You could literally AFK mana song as a bard and people would want to recruit that.

To be sure: managing 3 clients manually can be a relatively high apm challenge, and is actually a fun thing to do.

Talking to goons
I think the easiest way to talk to other goons in-game is to use the cross-server chat function "/join Goons". You can also add this to your eqclient.ini with the line:

ChannelAutoJoin=alliance,goons

to autojoin the channel (you might want to create a new chat window to communciate through the channel).

This thread:
For this thread try to discuss TAKP and its culture-- the references I've made to P99 or other servers are for context given most players will have tried those servers first. Those who have played TLP or P99 will probably find the culture on TAKP interesting and enjoy a different take on a familiar game.

If you're looking for me in-game just ask the goons channels-- I can even throw you some plat or buffs to get you started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

PH

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Here are some images I took-- tried to screencap 3 clients at once and it just didn't work.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

How much does choosing an evil race matter here?

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Womyn Capote posted:

How much does choosing an evil race matter here?

Evil shouldn't matter significantly. Play what you like. Note that while there are not any class based experience penalties, racial penalties do. As halflings get a bonus (5%) and iksar get a penalty (-20%) there were points in leveling where I had a four level gap between the two characters.

Something that's unique about this server is that it released with Plane of Knowledge enabled. This zone is the central hub of activity for newbie buffs. All the merchants in PoK as far as I can tell are indifferent, not to mention that I believe all the merchants in the Luclin trade zone (Shadow Haven) are also non-KOS to evil race such as Iksar.

The only time I really noticed having an evil race was the run to permafrost where I had to be mindful to invis my iksar lest he get killed by the barbarian guards.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

I got a sweet mage clicky on a raid last night:

It lets me cast a 35 pt damage shield on any target (so I don't have to go through the trouble of using a lower level DS or a group DS to apply to a low level target)

Figure some folks might be interested in trying the server but might want help getting started-- I'll be setting up at FOB noob ramp if folks are interested at 8 PM EST tonight. Send a message to Milkdan if you need help getting there and if you roll a male halfling you better not be a face traitor.

jinx_player
Aug 25, 2018

I joined the server thanks to this post...thinking bst dru mag but have yet to roll them all and get them in the same place as of yet

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

jinx_player posted:

I joined the server thanks to this post...thinking bst dru mag but have yet to roll them all and get them in the same place as of yet

This will be a relatively strong combination. When you are much higher level there will be fun pulling tricks you can pull with call of the hero, which could be a response to not having a proper non-animal lull or feign death.

Also if you can get down there, the bear caves in permafrost are great because the bears and wolves shouldn’t aggro your Druid (at least my Karana worshipping one they did it) so you can calm animal with impunity.

The maps on eqatlas should have the plane of knowledge labeled with a stylized “k”. One there you should find the soul binder to bind. After binding ask for help to the “dark bank.” If people see you with a trio of level ones they’ll throw buffs and loot at you. Try to keep your defense skilled up as you level it can be a pain to level later on. I should idling there later tonight on “milkdan” and I can throw you some buffs and plat for spells.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
oh snap I didn't realize you made a thread for this!

I'm Meatza/Lorien in Imperium, been playing on TAKP for a while now. Imperium is the European guild, but we have several US/Canadian players, like me, who like to raid in the early afternoon :)

happy to help out any goon with starting out.

random crap I didn't see in the other posts, mostly in comparison to p99:
- I don't think Kerafrym will ever be awoken on TAKP. So Sleeper's Tomb gear is accessible. Dope gear like...https://wiki.project1999.com/Shroud_of_Longevity
https://wiki.project1999.com/Sceptre_of_Destruction
is actually accessible to normal players.
- Monks have terrible AC returns here, so their overpoweredness has been nerfed a bit if you're used to p99
- Mass Group Buffs happen pretty regularly in PoK
- Bazaar prices are greatly deflated. I find 10x cheaper to be a good rule of thumb for a lot of items, in comparison. But not so deflated as to be trivialized- e.g. a Fungi is still going to cost you like 30k.
- The Quality of Life tools are great. easily move characters between loginserver accounts, there's a tracker for spells that will cross off the ones you already own, you can look at other people's Magelos, etc. for example: https://www.takproject.net/magelo/character.php?char=Meatza
- some zones are significantly less populated than they are on P99. lately I've been working on a PBAOE group, and found that Dreadlands, FV are relatively empty, while some of the Luclin zones have a shitload of mobs.
- You can use Allaclone (https://www.takproject.net/allaclone/) to look up exactly who drops a particular item you're looking for. as far as I know, Allaclone is tied directly to the item database used by TAKP.
- newbie armor quests are in. it's questionable as to whether or not they're worth it, but I think someone has a thread up on the forums awarding 10,000 gold to any new player who appears in a full set of newb gear.

it's definitely a smaller server though, so keep that in mind, especially if you plan to single box. That said, TAKP has been growing lately, and I think we're gonna be pretty hoppin' once PoP comes out. There's a new guild (Blood Guard) who is rapidly leveling up, I can't speak for them but they might be open to new players starting out. I expect they'll want to start breaking into raid rotations in a month or two.

BTW, you can see progress of PoP development here: https://www.takproject.net/progress/

some server pop info of relative popularities: https://unixgeek.com/eqemu.html

cmdrk fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 17, 2021

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I need to get back to leveling my shaman on this server, I think he stalled out at 23. Some day I will get him high enough for torpor, bind myself in plane of mischief and then never leave except to buy food and sell cards

unrelated but i'd like advice on low level shaman soloing in this era since nobody is online during my regular gaming hours

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

blatman posted:

unrelated but i'd like advice on low level shaman soloing in this era since nobody is online during my regular gaming hours

yeah, I think solo makes things harder. I'd consider..
- Mistmoore. Decent ZEM (120%). Not sure how hard they are to break solo.
- Sol A. Great ZEM (173%), but mobs tend to run and there's lava..
- Unrest. Also good ZEM (173%), you can do the fireplace room at 23.

If you want the Luclin experience.. maybe Marus Seru? Medium quality rockhopper hides can be used to grind tailoring which is handy.

If you're a Troll Shaman worshipping Innoruuk, I think you can get the snare necklace: https://wiki.project1999.com/Regent_Symbol_of_Innoruuk which can be helpful.

(https://wiki.takp.info/index.php?title=Current_ZEMs)

If you're willing to consider 2boxing, you've got a lot of options with Shaman. Maybe Necro or Mage for more castery stuff, ShadowKnight or Monk for more melee stuff?

BTW, in Luclin, Shaman get a really nice heal in @58 (Kragg's Mending), which does 75% of a target's HP or 2000 points, whichever comes first. Almost A Cleric :v:

cmdrk fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 17, 2021

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

blatman posted:

I need to get back to leveling my shaman on this server, I think he stalled out at 23. Some day I will get him high enough for torpor, bind myself in plane of mischief and then never leave except to buy food and sell cards

Without snare i found solo shaman unbelievably annoying on this server due to the flee mechanics.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

maybe i'll do a necro instead, necros are good in PoP right?

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
I goofed around with this a couple years ago, I couldn't stand the camera and never made it past level 4. It feels so weird to hold on to considering this client was an outdated piece of poo poo in 2002.

I think I'll give it another shot. I was thinking of doing BST/Cleric/Magician, I know how powerful enchanters are but it's so miserable not being able to ever look away from your computer or even go get a drink without the game knowing and immediately breaking charm.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

PriNGLeS posted:

I goofed around with this a couple years ago, I couldn't stand the camera and never made it past level 4. It feels so weird to hold on to considering this client was an outdated piece of poo poo in 2002.

I think I'll give it another shot. I was thinking of doing BST/Cleric/Magician, I know how powerful enchanters are but it's so miserable not being able to ever look away from your computer or even go get a drink without the game knowing and immediately breaking charm.

Beastlord/cleric/mage is a good trio. I think Mage and BST can compliment each other well. The only thing you really lack is ports, but they're not all that needed with PoK around.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

blatman posted:

maybe i'll do a necro instead, necros are good in PoP right?

honestly i have no idea about necro but they're certainly the classic solo masters.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

cmdrk posted:

Beastlord/cleric/mage is a good trio. I think Mage and BST can compliment each other well. The only thing you really lack is ports, but they're not all that needed with PoK around.

Was considering swapping the cleric with a druid and if I stuck around long enough the druid would be nice to help level another duo or something. PoK is super nice for travel, but its still rough traveling without druid ports.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

PriNGLeS posted:

Was considering swapping the cleric with a druid and if I stuck around long enough the druid would be nice to help level another duo or something. PoK is super nice for travel, but its still rough traveling without druid ports.

Don’t underestimate having a class that can cast lull— harmony will only get you so far!

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
I haven't played any takp in the last couple months, but I really just love this server. There's a really friendly server culture here that just feels special. I'm always happy to help any new players if you see me on, my trio is kachi/make/koshi but you'll get better buffs from the dudes with all the AAs and fancy gear, and they're handing those buffs out in pok constantly.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

PriNGLeS posted:

It's due to the staff's inability to hack in the same mouse scroll emulation for MAC users that windows has. If you are on windows and want a utility to emulate mouse scroll, send me a PM.

shirunei fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 19, 2021

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

shirunei posted:

It's due to the staff's inability to hack in the same mouse scroll emulation for MAC users that windows has. If you are on windows and want a utility to emulate mouse scroll, send me a PM.

I've never bothered to get plat so no can do. Is it just remapping scroll wheel to the camera controls in the client?

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Also gross, every single zone is named wrong in takp zone data in zliz :| Or every single one I've visited so far.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

PriNGLeS posted:

I've never bothered to get plat so no can do. Is it just remapping scroll wheel to the camera controls in the client?

Naw a little more involved than that. https://www66.zippyshare.com/v/kWw0182D/file.html I included the source code as well in there.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
I got it if you wanna go ahead and take it out.

Works well, it was so annoying having to constantly take my hand off the mouse to gently caress with the camera. Definitely appreciate it.

PriNGLeS fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 20, 2021

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

PriNGLeS posted:

Also gross, every single zone is named wrong in takp zone data in zliz :| Or every single one I've visited so far.

https://www.takproject.net/forums/index.php?threads/pop-and-legacy-zone-name-announcements-on-zone-in-slightly-inakurate.18342/#post-94063

Found that fix, haven't tried it yet.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
So I've been grinding between MGBs and having a pretty good time. Up to 15 with the bst/clr/mag. Community is solid. Some dude ran out to kurn's last night and dropped a crystalline spider fang and a centi warhammer on me.

Found this program called nparse which is meant to be used with P99, uses the Everquest ingame map .txt files and a /loc macro to generate an automap like zliz, but its a real map and not some hand drawn jankiness from 20 years ago. Also it does spell timers. I've been having to add luclin+ zones manually to it, but its working like a dream with brewall maps.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

PriNGLeS posted:

So I've been grinding between MGBs and having a pretty good time. Up to 15 with the bst/clr/mag. Community is solid. Some dude ran out to kurn's last night and dropped a crystalline spider fang and a centi warhammer on me.

Found this program called nparse which is meant to be used with P99, uses the Everquest ingame map .txt files and a /loc macro to generate an automap like zliz, but its a real map and not some hand drawn jankiness from 20 years ago. Also it does spell timers. I've been having to add luclin+ zones manually to it, but its working like a dream with brewall maps.

if you see meatza/lorien in game hail me and i can give you some moneys as well so you can deck yourself out in the finest baz gear.

Sketched
Oct 26, 2005
I never post on these forums, but this threat caught my eye. Playing with Herv and Manstache back on the original EQMac. I started on TAKP during Beta, so been here since the start. Server community is great, most people are will to work things out and be friendly. Rotation is nice so you don't need to spend time on competition for stale old pixels. Way more relaxed pace here. PoP should be soonage, Summer, Early Fall? I know PoEB is done. Dev team is still solid behind the project and it does offer are more class, albeit, slightly more janky EQ experience than some of the other EMU's. Population has really been growing and holding steady the past 5 months and I expect it will be an active healthy server for many ears to come.

Sketchy is my main and I'm in Temerity , I can try to toss you some gear or plat at least but pretty busy IRL atm.

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016
Anyone still around on this server? I found this server recently and am recreating my bard that I had on EQMac. Got a few of my old friends what originally played EQ with me back in high school to join the server as well.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
Yep, a lot of the old EQMac people are still around too.

Happy to give people starter money/gear if you catch Meatza/Lorien in game. Most likely to find me on a weekend.

edit: just wanted to mention, PoP still isn't quite ready yet, but we do have PoK and all of that jazz. From the TAKP tracker, seems that we're down to just Plane of Time being developed.

cmdrk fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 5, 2021

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016
Nice! I joined the channel listed in the OP but it looked like I was the only one there. My bard is Nunes as well. I hit 38 tonight. Bards don't need a whole lot to get going, but I am looking forward to having people to group with as I am less excited about boxing.

Nunes fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 5, 2021

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I keep bouncing off this server but if there's gonna be people in a goon channel I might have to figure out what my shamans name is and get in on the action (i'm only like level 20 though)

edit: I just logged on to check, level 20 shaman, okay gear but no fungi, poison wind censor! i'm unstoppable! i'm "fjonk" ingame so if anyone needs a sow i'm your guy

iirc I bought gear by just farming spiderlings in field of bone and then asking around until I found someone to buy the entire batch of silks this game owns

edit: autojoined the channel

blatman fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Oct 5, 2021

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016
I set the channel to autoload so I will be in there if I am online.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
I will set up the channel to autoload tonight.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
ok! got that poo poo to autoload.

i'm happy to report my Warrior is finally a Marshall. :v: it only took like 2 years.

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016
Congrats on hitting Marshall. What time zone is everyone? I am US West.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

mountain standard time here but I work odd hours so chances are I won't be online at the same time as anyone else except for a few hours on weekend mornings

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016
I managed to hit 40 tonight so now I can group with anyone pre PoP!

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
nice! gratz

i'm in US central time but in a European raiding guild (Imperium). i like raiding at 1pm :shrug:

btw, i think basically all of the guilds over here are good if you're into that sort of thing. Blood Guard for example just started up recently, mostly P99 refugees AFAIK, and they're doing attempts on various Luclin targets now to get into the raid rotations.

cmdrk fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Oct 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
Some rumbling on the discord and forums and such about NavMesh overhauls being pushed out today.

It sounds like this is one of the blockers for PoP! Hopefully we'll have the Planes by early next year.

https://www.takproject.net/progress/

Progress tracker shows that everything except Plane of Time is ready!