Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Even though I've watched god knows how many NASCAR races, all I know about McDowell is that he ran in ChampCar briefly (cool!), ran in the Daytona 24 a bunch (cool!), is a big time religious nut (extremely not cool imo, your mileage may vary), he somehow still has a cup ride despite seemingly being notably bad, and basically every other driver in the field doesnt like him for one reason or other.

At least it took Daytona away from the big teams and thats very funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

There aren't any poor kids in quarter midgets/karts, let alone the $15m a year Cup series.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

kidcoelacanth posted:

23XI is not top equipment

They are buying everything turnkey from Gibbs aren’t they?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

That pit lane dogshit would get you insta fired if I was a team owner. Do not gently caress around when dudes are over the wall.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

They're just mad that Hill beat them with this rig:

https://twitter.com/LucyH_Says/status/1244404093583536132

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

we do know that the chicago thing is iracing right

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Peanut President posted:

maybe read the loving article?

absolutely not

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah im a thumbsdown on it other than the general chaos and getting a few different drivers up front. Hilarious in a a chickenshit small-time "this sport is doomed" sort of way... but the racing i watched wasnt great and the whole thing seemed like an unprofessional clown shoes waste of time. Non points race, sure. Make the all star race dirt, 100%. But that wasnt a fuckin points race, cmon.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

dennyk posted:

I think you're actually on to something here: just make them all drive Super Trucks for the All-Star event. That'd actually be fun and hilarious to watch.

Super Trucks is always the answer

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktyKgTuBn4g

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

yeah coopetition on a restrictor plate track until the last lap is all good imo

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Only way it could theoretically happen is with a temporary dirt track. USC Football plays until December, and they have a rugby team that plays there starting in March.

I'm willing to bet the majority of NASCAR fans in the LA area live in San Berdoo or Riverside counties (and yes i mean that in a defamatory way), aka 1.5hr-2hr away, and considering LA has lost any semblance of interest in short track or dirt track racing in the last 50 years, this sure sounds like a terrible plan!

Then again, who gives a gently caress about Xfinity or the Clash anymore I guess, so why not. NASCAR fully embracing these chickenshit gimmick weekends is pretty wild.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

WindyMan posted:

As a NASCAR fan who lives in LA I can 100% say that I think this loving rules and I would go

Last time they had a motor racing event in the Coliseum they were able to pave it no problem. NASCAR will be fine doing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJz2iABjaqs

I didnt think they would want to do a 100% dead flat track vs a banked dirt track but i guess who knows with NASCAR anymore!

I really dont like the gimmick races but I understand i'm the minority of people around here.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i forgot that the busch clash was non points paying so i would like to formally decrease my pissiness by like.. 32%. but thats it!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Stadiums and arenas do some crazy poo poo to deal with multiple different events in a short period of time. They likely could get some form of pavement down in the coliseum for a race and have it back to turf a week or two before and after the race... There's a bunch of YouTube videos that will destroy your recommendation list of time lapses of stadiums setting up events... Baseball fields to Monster Truck events? Basketball to hockey to concert? Yep it's all there!

Here's hockey to monster jam to hockey!

You aint putting down a downforce-racecar ready banked paved surface and tearing it out for 1 race. Like we said above, a dead flat track (which would be even flatter than bowman. bowman is def banked, although it is officially 0deg), or banked/flat dirt are possible.

also worth noting that Bowman Gray is a permanent track that has football in the middle, not a football field that needs to be reversibly modified for racing. Good news about the coliseum is its olympic sized and not football sized, so you do have more space to make a less tiny track.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 7, 2021

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

quote:

The suspect, a 32-year-old Dunwoody man, was known to the victim and currently there are no charges against him, Barnett said. Police have had contact with the shooter.

this gonna get messy aint it...

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

From a local paper:

https://www.classiccitynews.com/post/former-nascar-driver-son-of-zaxby-s-co-founder-killed-in-athens-shooting

quote:

Townley was said by sources to have been armed with an axe when he entered the house at 240 Morton Avenue and the Dunwoody man fatally shot him and Laura Townley was accidently struck by gunfire.

“I can’t confirm any of those details right now.” Barnett said Sunday afternoon. “We are not ruling out that this was potentially a self-defense case related to a domestic violence type incident. However, the investigation is still ongoing.”

The shooter has not been charged, according to Barnett, who said the female victim was transported to the hospital with serious injuries.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

After this year, I’m just thankful that this entire series and ancient formula is getting completely blown up for next year.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

the dude is a nasty freak loser and I hope he spends a lot of his now cratered crypto scam money on lawyers on the way to inevitably losing that suit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i mean if i thought i could make an NFT to scam nascar fans, i would too

what if we just steal video frames from famous NASCAR crashes and sell them as an NFT?