Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
You don’t even need to parry draugr; you usually encounter them one at a time, so just bait their swings and attack while they’re recovering, or shoot them while they’re still lurching around. Piles can be tricky because you get groups, so steer clear or just destroy them from range. Leeches can be safely meleed from the shore. Blobs are trivial with a mace, but otherwise the poison can just be tanked (they’ll keep reapplying it, but it doesn’t stack), or you can easily shoot them. Aboms are annoying but easy to avoid until you’re ready. Skeletons are old hat. For specters, just don’t run around a new biome at night like an idiot; this will also help with avoiding unnecessary groups of draugr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Hasselblad posted:

Do mobs actually target crops, or are the crops getting killed due to proximity to aggro causing stuff like benches?

There was nothing next to the crops, so yeah they most certainly do.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 21, 2024

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
They mostly just need to add more randomly generated terrain features to find, I'm surprised there aren't any mods I can find that do something like that.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Mobs in Valheim only attack player base structures, boats, crops, etc. if they have vision of them. They won't attack stuff like walls, stairs, beams, etc. unless they are preventing them from reaching the player base structure that is pissing them off. I hate earthen walls/moats - they are ugly, time consuming to build, and unnecessary. A basic wood palisade that is flush with the ground so they can't see past it will protect you from anything but raids (which you deal with by leaving your base and fighting/getting them to chase you away from your base).

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yes I know palisades help, again my point was to potentially find a mod that would save me the trouble of building them

Nordick fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 21, 2024

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I have my workbench radius set to 120 (from 20) because I hate building multiple workbenches. It has a bonus of stopping random spawns in the actual base area.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
lmao 3 years of dev and we've gotten 1 new biome, 1 lovely quest npc, and a $1700 replica sword

Good to see they've been spending their $350,000,000+ wisely

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Not every game needs to be an eternal GaaS content mill

Burns
May 10, 2008

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

lmao 3 years of dev and we've gotten 1 new biome, 1 lovely quest npc, and a $1700 replica sword

While I agree in part about the slow rear end development, it still amuses me to see complaints on the Valheim Steam forum from people with 500+ hours spent in the game.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I hope they took a long and excellent vacation with their money.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

You really need to let this grudge go.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

"and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad."

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Look, I expect a lot of game for my $200,000 investment

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

rjmccall posted:

Look, I expect a lot of game for my $200,000 investment

I have some bad news about Star Citizen my friend. :(

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Vasudus posted:

I have my workbench radius set to 120 (from 20) because I hate building multiple workbenches. It has a bonus of stopping random spawns in the actual base area.

Is that a mod setting? Or is it included with the new built in settings?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Kibayasu posted:

You really need to let this grudge go.

I love the game I think it's great. But come on a little light teasing of the devs and everyone shits their pants? They have hundreds of millions, I don't think they need anyone defending their honor on the forums lmao

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I love the game I think it's great. But come on a little light teasing of the devs and everyone shits their pants? They have hundreds of millions, I don't think they need anyone defending their honor on the forums lmao

Yeah yeah

Next you'll say it was your cousin that typed that

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Is that a mod setting? Or is it included with the new built in settings?

It could be https://valheim.thunderstore.io/package/Crystal/BuildSpace/

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Look somebody has to compete with mojang

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Nordick posted:

Yes I know palisades help, again my point was to potentially find a mod that would save me the trouble of building them

There is always the option of killing bosses on one version of a map, and building bases on another copy of the same map. That way at worst you'd have necks and boar attacks.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Or change in the console global keys that control unlocked raids and spawns after boss defeats. I also found this mod that tweaks monster AI, but it might be outdated and I haven't tried it.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Hasselblad posted:

There is always the option of killing bosses on one version of a map, and building bases on another copy of the same map. That way at worst you'd have necks and boar attacks.

It's not raids that bother me. Those are clearly announced, so I can just run out and take them on. And even if raids were the problem, they can just be turned off in the map settings nowadays.

This was a case of a couple random greydwarfs just quietly wandering in and wrecking my turnips and carrots, because I hadn't realised night had fallen and it took me a bit to notice the noise from them hitting my stuff.

I put up a ward since then. I'm not sure if they actually protect stuff from damage, but they do make this clear ringing "bwoop" noise when something in their radius gets hit, so at least it'll work as an alarm.

EDIT:

Dwesa posted:

I also found this mod that tweaks monster AI, but it might be outdated and I haven't tried it.
Huh, this might actually work. I found a different mod earlier, but it had some other features I didn't want and was last updated in '21, so I didn't bother. I'll give this a shot, thanks.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 22, 2024

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I swear I get grayling's just walking around my house looking around like they're critiquing the decor not smashing anything. Idk if that's intended but it sure is adorable

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Nordick posted:

I'm not sure if they actually protect stuff from damage

they don't, wards only protect from other players. but now that you mention it... I found some mod that adds configurable wards with additional effects, among other effects it protects structures

Burns
May 10, 2008

Another solution you have not considered is to breed a horde of wolves, scatter them around your territory and let them proceed to murderize anything in proximity.

Also, those little wooden fences do work for keeping pests out.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I swear I get grayling's just walking around my house looking around like they're critiquing the decor not smashing anything. Idk if that's intended but it sure is adorable

Yeah, I get greylings doing that, too. It's largely at night when their hooligan big siblings turn up and start vandalising poo poo.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Sometimes the locations just suck. I made a terrible choice of base location awhile back on the beach against this cliff and found these assholes would spawn up top, get absolutely tilted looking at my poo poo, swarm down, swim around my walls and then be back up and in my face.

Was reeal loving annoying. I ended up just moving. Now I live in the swamp where the only issue I suffer is when I get troll raided while making the mistake of being afk logged in.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Yeah swimmers are really bad — though coincidentally if you are close enough to a swamp, leeches will solve those problems for you. Would be nice if mobs had stamina in some fashion.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

ErKeL posted:

Sometimes the locations just suck. I made a terrible choice of base location awhile back on the beach against this cliff and found these assholes would spawn up top, get absolutely tilted looking at my poo poo, swarm down, swim around my walls and then be back up and in my face.

Was reeal loving annoying. I ended up just moving. Now I live in the swamp where the only issue I suffer is when I get troll raided while making the mistake of being afk logged in.

Do the trolls get pasted by the swamp denizens?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Do the trolls get pasted by the swamp denizens?

Troll vs abomination is largely even, iirc. Whoever survives is badly mauled enough that they can be dealt with fairly quick.

Troll vs anyone else in the swamp: lol

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Yeah, the heavy hitters in early biomes are still good in later biomes.

A troll has 600hp and does 60 damage with a punch. Fulings have 175hp and do 85 damage (sometimes as blunt, which trolls are resistant to). Enemies don’t have armor, which is the main thing that makes players outscale early biomes so hard.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I've seen a two star troll put up a pretty good effort against a fuling village. Considering they're two biomes behind.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I've seen a pack of leeches(?) melt a serpent before I even realized they were going after him, so I thought it was possible the swamp might fare a bit better, but yeah, I guess they just can't keep up with the troll's damage unless they can stagger it.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

deathsquitos taking down gjalls is one of hilarious moments of this game

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I have raised mighty walls in the mountains and mined the earth of its silver. My arms and calves glisten with metal. My sword, outstretched, catches the light and gleams before piercing the heart of a wolf. My bow shines with argent fire. I know where the mother dragon lies, and I will end her and take her frozen tears.

Although I might want to haul another cartload of wood up here first so I can put a roof on the damned place.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Well, that was easily the most disastrous Moder kill I’ve ever done. There was an almost-complete castle on the other side of a short ridge from her spawn, and I knew it was way too close but… I guess I was hoping I’d be able to keep her focused on me, but of course she almost immediately aggroed onto it and blasted it into the ground, and I lost my portal. Fortunately I’d kept a portal at my beachhead, but ugh. After I inevitably died, I kept bullrushing up the mountain in the hope of getting my gear and then getting away, and it did not go well. Eventually I did manage to drag my corpse and the portal supplies out of her aggro and set up a safer base. Once I finally got a real second attempt going, it went pretty swimmingly, but ugggh.

Probably the most hilarious-in-retrospect moment was the bat raid spawning on me immediately after one of those deaths. My home base in the Meadows is a big airy hut with lots of natural light, so like five bats just streamed through and swarmed me in a second. They’re pretty drat lethal at 25hp with no armor, and I had like two seconds to act after each respawn before they were on me again. When I kept chain-dying after the raid ended, the game eventually just pity-despawned all the bats; never seen that before.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

One thing with this slow drip of new biomes, is the release format kind of forces the next biome to be harder than the previous otherwise people will just breeze through it with their high level characters, but that also forces the entire game into a kind of fixed progression through the zones. Which I feel is a bit of a shame, since the world is so vast and exciting, you should be able to move to some other exciting place and make progress if you get bored. Like I don't mind needing to kill bosses in a fixed order, but vital upgrade stuff is also locked behind the bosses so there is literally no point for me to go to plains or mountains before dredging through the swamps.

Also swamps suck. gently caress the swamps. Mountains and plains are so great, wanna just get there instead. Wish the swamps were just an optional side area with cool gear.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Bisse posted:

Also swamps suck. gently caress the swamps. Mountains and plains are so great, wanna just get there instead. Wish the swamps were just an optional side area with cool gear.

wish swamps had silver and mountains had iron instead of vice versa

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Bisse posted:

One thing with this slow drip of new biomes, is the release format kind of forces the next biome to be harder than the previous otherwise people will just breeze through it with their high level characters, but that also forces the entire game into a kind of fixed progression through the zones. Which I feel is a bit of a shame, since the world is so vast and exciting, you should be able to move to some other exciting place and make progress if you get bored. Like I don't mind needing to kill bosses in a fixed order, but vital upgrade stuff is also locked behind the bosses so there is literally no point for me to go to plains or mountains before dredging through the swamps.

I’ll be real, I don’t really see anything that indicates the game wasn’t always imagined as a fixed progression through biomes. That’s how it worked at launch too pretty much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Yeah that's...the intentional game design