Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

queeb posted:

doing some landscaping

HOW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Valheim is a strand-type game

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Their aesthetics are destroyed, which is basically the same thing.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I fell behind on this thread pretty bad so I'm sorry if this has already been covered, but here are my final final final rules for how structural integrity works in valheim.

When you place a piece it finds the shortest path to the ground in meters. It is not number of pieces- pieces that are half as long or half as wide increase distance from the ground by half as much. It also is not a generic weight value on each piece- the path seems capable of cutting across corners.

You can see here that we have 16-meter high structures in both 1m stone blocks, 2m stone blocks, and 2m wood walls. Additionally, you can see that I build out to the left 4m and then up. The left wood is 3m shorter than the right wood, though, not 4m.

Here's the trick: the path limit actually seems to be about 50m. Wood and stone count triple. Core wood counts double. Iron wood counts regular.

Then there's interactions between types. If you stack one type on top of another, it can increase or decrease the path length of the new piece.

Wood on stone reduces the path length to 0 (grounded).
Stone on wood increases it by 50 (breaks).
Iron on stone has no effect, it just measures the path.
Wood on iron reduces the path length by 21(ish?), to a minimum of 0.
Stone on iron and iron on wood increases the path by 21(ish?)

This means that you can build pillars somewhat higher- something like 28 meters tall- if you reinforce them with iron. 21 + 28 = 49 so you can just barely attach a stone pillar without it breaking. Then you can build another 16m of wood off of that.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

MissMarple posted:

(this is also aided by silver clearly not being content complete, and having a narrower number of items to upgrade).

This was kinda a disappointment to me, it's clear that the last two biomes were a little rushed in terms of getting EA out. Game still owns, but the quality & quantity of new stuff does fall off somewhat after the swamps. I imagine that the 3 updates on the roadmap before mistlands are mostly about fixing that.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Building a wine cellar and decided to set aside an area for my favorite vintage

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

For some reason it's absurdly hard to find an answer to this on any of the many slide-show Valheim building gudes out there: do you need to have beams supporting your buildings to keep them structurally sound? How much of a different does this make?

Hello.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3958782&userid=105848#post512780507

The only thing not included is the weird shear strength stuff on stone. Stone blocks seem to take a massive penalty if they aren't supported from either the bottom or two sides. Pillars don't have this problem, you can stick a corner onto like a iron beam or whatever, then use that to support a block, or an arch and use the arch to support a block. This means that it can be tough to build a row of stone suspended in the air even if the path length is working in your favor, because for it to work in your favor you have to build the entire row first (since during the construction process, some blocks will only be contacting one other block and are liable to break). Some iron scaffolding can help with this.

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 3, 2021

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Even though blobs are resistant to pierce you can still kill them in a few arrows from safety and avoid the risk of missing a 1 shot with a mace and getting poisoned for 20 seconds.

Honestly I found just using the bow with a unlimited supply of wooden arrows to take care of every enemy you regularly get swarmed with in the game, no reason to waste resources on anything above wooden unless you want to be fancy with fire arrows or you are reaching endgame and want to make something stronger for the last few encounters.

Poison potions are cheap enough I just chug one and start blasting

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Do the blood bags do anything at iron level? I think the only thing I noticed them being for was red banners.

This is high art when placed beside your other posts in this thread.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Dear new players, please make health potions as quickly as possible and pop them the moment you encounter anything upsetting or unsual. They are so, so loving good. I have been saved from so many fuckups ranging from landing in the water 10 feet from my boat with empty stamina to forgetting to take poison mead or eat before fighting an ooze. It is a free extra life every 2 minutes there is no reason not to chug them!

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

You get 6 meads per base you make, it's really not that much of a grind.

Where am I going to find 20 whole raspberries for 12 extra lives?! Do you want me to mark two clusters of berry bushes on my map or something?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

If I just got the game should I try to start a game with a "good" seed or just roll with what I have for now and see how it goes?

Also how does the game handle asynchronous progression? I work mostly night shift and play during most people's workdays usually. If I set up a dedicated server (because I think it'd be cool to work on stuff with friends even if not totally contemporaneously with them) and one of them kills a boss or whatever is it dead for the server and I wouldn't be able to kill it later?

The delta between good & bad starting islands is pretty low, bad starting islands are likely to be surrounded by better ones. A "good" seed is one where you have to do less sailing to find good spots, so you can always just do more sailing on a bad seed. It's really not a big deal.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Oh I missed the second half- if your friends aren't just beating the game without you, the biggest problem will be them hoovering all the surtling cores, copper, and tin off the map while you're still getting started and can't easily relocate. As long as they're conscientious about leaving you a section of the starting island it won't be TOO bad until they beat the whole game (which changes the map in a bad way), and base siege random events which are keyed to the most recent boss.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Annual income 300 resin, annual expenditure 6 sconces, result chests fill up with resin.
Annual income 300 resin, annual expenditure 8 sconces, result not enough resin to light my house.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Nordick posted:

From what I read: If an incoming attack's damage is more than double your armor value, it "penetrates" in which case it simply subtracts your armor value from the damage. If the damage is less than that, it uses some more complex equation that I can't remember specifically.

If it's less then it works like wow where damage is divided by armor*constant. So, for raw damage of less than a hundred, the following is true- highest-upgraded cloak & helmet, plus highest upgraded troll armor, vs. just a highest-upgraded suit of armor:

Bronze - Troll takes +27% more damage
Iron & Silver - Troll takes +63% more damage

For damage that penetrates troll & not metal, these numbers are a fair bit worse.

EDIT: Oh actually it soudns like penetration damage isn't that bad.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Fine wood to stronk to be ignored

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

genericnick posted:

Do Greydwarfs hate turnips? I'm thinking about where to set up a field and whether to do so inside my defensive parameter.

Yes and they hate all functional constructions created by players. They seem mixed on structural stuff and will mainly try to destroy it to get at a cart or boat or you or something.