Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

xzzy posted:

I'm trying to avoid diving in to this game on youtube and ruining all the discovery, but I need to know what the combat is like for this as I am thinking of convincing my wife to get this with me. Posts up above say it's not super hard, so that's good, but are there any mainstream games that it closely compares to? She's decent at games but will not really enjoy super intricate mechanics.

Honestly combat feels like BOTW with more forgiving parry timing. Bows work a little differently but they’re easy to figure out.

Btw everyone in the previous Survival thread saying bows suck until the 2nd tier is wrong - you can absolutely wreck poo poo just fine with the first bow. The biggest thing is to use better arrows. Flint arrows and a starter bow can get you up to the second boss pretty easy as long as you take a little time to learn to aim. 2nd tier bow definitely shoots better but the starter puts in work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Anyone else having issues with dedicated servers? I thought I set everything up properly but I keep getting "server not responding" from Steam, friends also having same issue

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Shield question and base defense question.

Tower shields vs bucklers - do you guys find parrying better than fully absorbing an attack even at the risk of taking more damage? Getting the stagger and an uninterrupted shot at 1-3 crits is pretty nice, but also just being able to hold block and eat all the damage is pretty sweet too. Haven’t tried 2h weapons much yet, tho; that might change things.

For base defense I’ve just been sticking stakes out by the entrances where Greydwarves like to spawn - I was thinking maybe dig a dry moat with stakes on top might be the easiest option? They don’t seem to do too much damage to walls yet, as long as you’re checking on things every so often.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Fart Car '97 posted:

Tower shields are bad compared to Buckler's, and it's definitely better to parry because the party window is extremely generous. Just blocking drains too much stamina.

I uh, made a big catch and have a pretty good shield now; stats are def better than comparable tower shields even at base level. I haven’t actually noticed a ton of stamina drain from blocking with it but I’ll compare to the banded shield I made last night.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Is upgrading particularly worth? Iron isn’t hard to get but man, it’s gonna take a lot...

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

i say swears online posted:

I only played this game with a half-dozen friends a year ago and went back in because I liked it a lot. but holy poo poo this game is incredibly unfriendly and unfun while alone. I killed the deer boss and was having a good time then it all just goes to poo poo. I've banked over 100 copper ore, but cannot find a single tomb to go after bones and cores, and "the forest is moving" turned out to be nearly twenty greydwarves and their upgraded cousins that just destroyed everything I own and killed me three times in a row. Troll hides, bronze and even upgraded leather are all behind the same progression gate and it sucks. there are some very easy changes they could make to enable smoother progression but none of that has happened

same except swamp. i forgot how loving anti-fun the swamp is, just pure, miserable garbage grind, and it's even worse solo. think imma wait till they finish mistlands and maybe i can play the update with a group again. its so easy to fix, too... 10-20 iron + goo + ancient bark = rain cape, prevents rain from getting you wet. give it lovely armor value to balance it out, easy.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Don't get me wrong, I like the actual general aesthetic of the swamp and the enemy & geographic design, but the unstoppable rain and iron grind turn it into a garbage biome. I can kill multiple draugr just fine, but killing multiple draugr while dodging leeches while wet kinda sucks, finding crypts is a pain in the rear end half the time, and then you have to drag a billion iron home by boat. just really not that fun.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Shibawanko posted:

the best weapons for the swamp are the hoe and pickaxe

100%, i hated swamps the first time around. second playthrough i took a couple of stone hoes and leveled my way to every crypt. gives you nice pathways to drag a cart on, too, so you can just mash through a couple of crypts and then drag all the iron back in one go. Leveling alone gets you 90% of the way there.

oh, and leveled the hell out of the bonemass altar area, too

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 13, 2022

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Trickortreat posted:

Not going to disagree with you there, I don't know much about game development. What I'm pointing out is the fact that they promised regular updates. They promised to keep players up to date with a road map for the features. Didn't they end up abandon the road map altogether and stopped communicating with the players?

I definitely got my value out of Valheim (500+ hours played), but I have no desire to support a company that thinks they don't have an obligation keep players updated on their early access game. Early access demands a level of transparency. Imagine trying to do a kickstarter with no updates at all. Obviously there are some players who won't care, but judging from the numbers on steam, I'd say the majority of people have lost interest in this game altogether due to lack of communication from the devs.

You got your value out of Valheim already, and now you're mad that you aren't getting even more value? Valheim was just about the best you can demand from an early access game without being an actual full release, and I bet that almost everyone who played it got more than their $20 worth. If the devs had taken all their well-earned money and hosed off forever leaving it unfinished, it still would have been worth $20 and I'd still recommend it to people looking for fun crafting/survival games. Why are you so mad at the devs? it's goofy af

i saw some similar attitudes in response to an article written earlier this year about Dwarf Fortress releasing on Steam, with commenters pissing and moaning that devs weren't being exact about the release date and how could they whine and beg for money and stuff when the game wasn't updated yet and it was just bizarre - it's been out and complete for like 15 years now and you can play it completely free; these weirdos are all caremad that a couple of nerds programming in their basement aren't catering to their every whim? chill the gently caress out

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Burns posted:

What are recommendations fro melee weapons in the mountain? Sword and board on very high is just not cutting it as even basic wolves do so much damage.

Honestly I usually just use clubs/maces for 95% of my playthroughs. Club is easy to make, easy to upgrade, and takes you all the way through til you can make an iron mace, iron mace takes you to Frostner (and is still a good off-hand for stuff like golems), and Frostner is good for most stuff afterwards. First goal in a new biome is to make a buckler of the new metal & max it out asap for the best blocking/parrying but even then you need to roll or dodge some mobs (mainly golems) and then run back in to whack em.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Ravenfood posted:

Wolf spear. Cheap as hell so it's faster to get out of the mountains. I really, really like throwing it.

idk, spear in mountains felt kinda rough when I've tried it - the vertical hitbox is kinda terrible. Once you get parry timing down wolves aren't that hard; iron mace & frostner both do fine

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
All you need for Bonemass is a maxed iron mace, maxed iron buckler, and poison resist pots. Most of his melee attacks are pretty easy to parry; just don’t get greedy when you’re hitting him back. A few healing/stamina pots for any oh poo poo moments and you’re basically set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Also, holy gently caress, Bonemass is an insane spike in difficulty. And I do mean 'spike', because the mountains, and especially the plains, which are the following two areas, aren't anywhere near as brutal as that fight alone. Jfc.

You only really need 3 things for Bonemass - a maxed out iron mace, a maxed out iron buckler, and poison resist potions. I guess a handful of health/sta pots for oh poo poo moments and a hoe to flatten out his altar area.

At least one of his melee attacks is an easy parry, and iirc that lets you get at least one full combo of mace hits in. Run away from his cloud, run away from the hard-to-parry hits, rinse & repeat. Maxed iron mace takes care of the adds really quickly. Also learn to manage your stamina - you don’t need to be running & jumping every single second to dodge stuff, and figuring that out is better for all of your fights; not just Bonemass.