Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I think the high point of the game is when you are just getting into the black forest and you see a troll moving between the trees for the first time.

Hi! I just started 3 days ago, playing with more experienced friends (who have thankfully rolled new, babby characters so they could experience and realistically help with my progression).

This is generally what happened with me when I first started. And last night, I took out one myself, using my fine bow and fire arrows.

This game is the epitome of :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I love this game so much. For anyone here who's a Minecraft fan, do you remember your first hours in Survival with that? That's what Valheim feels like, except way better.

Actual skills to level, danger to avoid (and eventually conquer), better physics. My wife and I usually play in a friend's world where it's us 4, with our friends being way more knowledgeable about everything. One of our friends is a tank charscter, kinda helping us all out when we go looking for trolls or burial crypts.

Well, they weren't available last night, so my wife and I took our leveled characters into our own world and started over. We were doing just great until we realized we needed copper, which meant a trip to first find and then explore the Black Forest. We were nervous, because we usually have ol' Tankie as a kind of insurance. We found copper, and carefully took as much as possible (along with tin), all the while one of us would stay on the lookout for trolls and skeletons. Success! We bring it all back, only to realize that to build a smelter, we also need those cores you find in crypts.

gently caress.

My wife was not at all confident in her skills and really didn't want to go into a crypt. I believed in myself and said I'd go it alone, if she'd rather stay at our compound (we already have walls surrounding everything) and build onto our homestead.

So, we wake up one morning, I eat, and then I head off to the BF, which I had previously marked on my map. I get there, and am EXTREMELY vigilant; I realize that, generally, the mobs scale to you but still. And finally, I find the crypt! I don't WANT to go in alone (the music and sound design is A+ and creeps me out), but I have to. So, I make sure I'm fed at max, and step on in.

Immediately, with the first door I open, I'm attacked by two skeletons, one of them being a one-star, but I live! I keep searching, taking out 2 spawners and a giant rancid skeleton (I think his head got stuck in a doorway), and I get the cores, activate my stamina boost (Eikthyr?) and run the gently caress back to our home.

We were both pretty tired at that point, so the smelter and eventual forge will have to be made today but goddamn, is this game fulfilling, overflowing with that sense of adventure.

Goddamn.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Control Volume posted:

Trolls went from "big enemy that hurts" to "big enemy that hurts TREES!!" in less than an hour with my group, then we used one to clear out the area for our first major base.

One of my favourite things is being the designated woodsman (and quite literally being better at it than others as a result), and trying to specifically fell trees into other trees and cause some sort of timber armageddon.

Also, it's pretty cool when chopping with others, the actual need to say/yell timber for their benefit.

:black101: <- the most apt smiley.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Corbeau posted:

Someday I will install all the diablo-esque crazy loot mods for a replay. More reason to go exploring.

Oh, jfc, that's all this game needs.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I meant it kinda halfway between "holy poo poo, that'd be an insane amount of gear :stare:", and "holy poo poo, that'd be an insane amount of gear :swoon:"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Corbeau posted:

I always end up a little sad when I play with my friends because I enjoy the aesthetics of the game, and prefer building with rather than against the terrain, but inevitably I'll come back to base and someone will have paved the entire area and built some gigantic tree farm that obliterates the framerate when domino-cut due to physics lag. And it's never for the greater goal of building something nice, it's to build some brutalist megastructure that permanently lags the base into uselessness due to too many objects.

What I'm saying is that art imitates life and humans suck.

While this is only my first experience with the game, I'm glad to be playing with people who don't play like this. We have a bit of flattened land, but we're not min-maxing anything.

We're just living and fighting.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah, I do appreciate the building in this game, it's very satisfying when you get something made, but the build camera from No Man's Sky has spoiled me.

But I'm also playing this on my steam deck and am not going to gently caress around with mods, so :shrug:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Just defeated Bonemass in a party of 4, two of whom were already experienced. I know stuff like that scales, but jfc how does anyone beat something like that on their own?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Overall, I think I hate the swamps.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

I misread the tweet saying that mistlands video would be released and thought they were releasing the actual content.

:smith:

Well, to be fair, the release date will likely be announced in the video.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

Well if that's how you feel about fishing in this game good news. The new iteration of fishing feels basically completely disconnected from the meaningful parts of the game.

How's the new fishing? I actually love fishing in games, and have been looking forward to valheim's fishing being improved.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

For the people who enjoy fishing, is taking a boat out and fishing there in deeper water more viable?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I love the Skeleton Surprise. Definitely my favourite seige.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I must be playing differently or expecting different things, because my wife and I regularly play with another couple, and we're always great for resources. We're almost to padded armour and then we're all set :shrug:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

AccountSupervisor posted:

Thank the gods they fixed the performance issues with large builds.

It is night and day, our main capital was practically unplayable with how much building and terraforming we did. It is butter smooth now.

Oooh, looking forward to this; our main, modestly built compound was getting down to around 20-25 fps on my Steam deck. I hope it runs even better now. :toot:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So, I like fishing more now, except for the different baits. I hate them. I think it would be better if all fish bit all bait, but higher end bait kept fish on the line longer/reduced stamina required. So you can trick out your bait if you want an easier time, but overall no fish are off-limits.

Also, in order to even learn the bait recipes, don't you need to touch the fish that would be caught by that bait? That means that at least initially, you'll have to find one washed up.

Cool... That's not how that should work; the requirements for an upgraded tier of something ideally should involve using the previous tier, not lucking into accessing the requirements in some other, way less reliable way.

I'm angry; angry about fishies!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

pik_d posted:

That's not how it works, regular bait catches pike, perch, and tuna like before. Each of those combined with some trophy gives a new bait that gets you the next fish. That next fish combines with a different trophy to get yet another fish and so on.

Also to note, the name of the fish doesn't decide the yield of raw fish anymore, the physical size does, so a small tuna will give 1 raw fish but a larger one will give more. I'm not sure what the upper limit is but it's way more than 4, but those fish are harder to catch.

Ah, ok, thanks for clarifying! Welp, I'm now much less angry.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

idiotsavant posted:

You got your value out of Valheim already, and now you're mad that you aren't getting even more value? Valheim was just about the best you can demand from an early access game without being an actual full release, and I bet that almost everyone who played it got more than their $20 worth. If the devs had taken all their well-earned money and hosed off forever leaving it unfinished, it still would have been worth $20 and I'd still recommend it to people looking for fun crafting/survival games. Why are you so mad at the devs? it's goofy af

i saw some similar attitudes in response to an article written earlier this year about Dwarf Fortress releasing on Steam, with commenters pissing and moaning that devs weren't being exact about the release date and how could they whine and beg for money and stuff when the game wasn't updated yet and it was just bizarre - it's been out and complete for like 15 years now and you can play it completely free; these weirdos are all caremad that a couple of nerds programming in their basement aren't catering to their every whim? chill the gently caress out

Yeah, this is exactly how I feel; even before the update (and even since, I've barely touched the new content), I racked up almost 100 hours in a month in Valheim. They could drop it tomorrow and I'd be cool with that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

I saw that they added more bucklers. Is there any reason to use a round shield or tower shield of equivalent tier if you are good at parrying? They just seem mechanically the best.

Fashion is an acceptable answer.

I had one of those first bucklers that let you choose the red/blue with white design, and I chose red. I looked like the viking ancestor to a founder of Umbrella Corp.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

After MUCH preparation, our group of 4 beat Yagluth last night on our first try. We'd received some casual advice previous to it, so we sort of knew what to expect. The only person who died was me, mostly because I mistimed a dodge and got pummeled by meteors.

Then we decided, wisps all equipped, just to take a quick peak in the mistlands themselves.

:stare:

3 of us died to a 1-star seeker, with my wife kind of holed up in the basement of a dverger house, pelting at the thing while we death-ran back. Most of the dverger died, too. We made it back to our bodies, killed the bastard and then quickly Eikthyr'd the hell out of there. We're looking forward to building better stuff with the mistlands loot.

I love this game.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

What would someone suggest I use if I loooooove the Porcupine?

Or can I just keep upgrading that and upping my club skill?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Have they put any more work into how the controller works for the game? At launch the controller "worked" but it felt like it could use more work to make things flow better.

I've been playing this on my steam deck exclusively and it's been fine.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

He died to a troll?! I thought they were WAY stronger than that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

About a month or so ago, I was thinking about all of the games I'd like to pick up during the upcoming winter Steam sale, but since getting Valheim, I doubt I'd end up playing many of them until months and months afterwards.

If I played this game solo, I might be almost done with it but because I'm playing with my wife and two friends, almost nightly as sort of a hangout, we've got plans, man... building plans.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah this game is perfect for hanging out with our friends. It's so good for that, even if we're not preparing to do something big, like killing yagluth. We prepped for so long, and only had one death during the fight (which was me, stupidly getting his by his meteors).

This game is both intense and chill, it's weird that way.

I remember we were so afraid of the plains from what our friends told us about it (they've played through before, but rolled new characters to play alongside me and my wife). We got there, and while it started as very dangerous, we've gotten it down to lox and deathsquitos not being much of a danger, and most fulings being nothing to worry about.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Dec 13, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

pik_d posted:

I swear to god Bonemass power is never going to be topped for overall survivability. The Mistlands is basically Not Scary when you've got Bonemass up unless you REALLY get swarmed.

Yeah, I tried out Yagluth's power, but nah, gotta get back to Bonemass.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

If two people use Bonemass at the same time (or at least one uses it while already under the effect from a previous usage), is the timer doubled, the effect doubled, or neither, and it just overlaps with no benefit?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

It's so satisfying to do a one-hit bash with a club, specifically the Porcupine, on a skeleton, and have it just explode in a mess of bones.

:black101:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I was initially so happy that our new base ran close to 60fps, but then we built a big stone hall, and... Yeah, I'm down to 30 at best, 15 at worst.

I'm using my Steam deck; are there any performance tips anyone can give me?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Corbeau posted:

Light sources and/or particle sources are traditionally performance killers in any game engine.

That's what I believe is my issue; we've had a trench built around our plains base as well as a lox pen made from risen ground since we first moved here with just a shack and a portal, and it used to be buttery smooth. It's also very smooth when I go down to the river, when the house unloads from my view distance, but the full lox pen is still nearby.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

joepinetree posted:

This only works till you kill yagluth. The post yagluth content will get around that

"They sought you out"

:stare:

Question about that... Do Gjall's ever show up, even if you built in some other non-Mistlands biome?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

What are the true benefits for trying to catch fish other than pike, perch, and tuna? Mounting them?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I play on my friend's vanilla server via my steam deck. Can they install Valheim Plus and that's that? Do I have to gently caress around and somehow install a nexus mod onto my steam deck, or can I just let them handle it all, and log on as usual?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Jawnycat posted:

It requires a client-side install; all the configuration is handled server-side tho.

Balls. Ok, I'll looking into installing it on my deck. Thanks!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Nordick posted:

And yet so many of us are coping with the swamp just fine, so maybe the problem is at your end? :shrug:

- The wet debuff from the rain is just -15%, not much of an issue as long as you keep your rested buff up
- Abominations take chunks of damage from axes, and their attacks can be parried the same as any other mob
- Poison resistance mead is drat near trivial to acquire

Not only that, each time you take a poison resist, it lasts for what, 10 minutes? So one stack, which only takes up one spot in your inventory, can keep you resisted for over an hour and a half, or a bit less if my numbers are wrong.

I wasn't a big fan of the swamp when I was underleveled (holy poo poo, doing a death run there is awful), but now, since building our plains house and being decked out in padded armour, it's pretty trivial.

The best or worst thing I'll say is that the existence of the swamp at least highlights how much better the other biomes are. The sweet isn't as sweet without the sour. I appreciate that it exists.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I get the developer intent with the belt vs wisp light, but I can also see that the limitation is kinda dumb, in-universe.

Reminds me of Doom 3 and the whole flashlight ordeal. Adds to the tension, sure. but that game is set in the future... what the gently caress are you doing NOT having a light source at least taped to your gun?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I love fishing in this game so much that I wish there was more of a benefit in the late game, other than some super stamina food that doesn't seem to be THAT much better than what you're able to make for less work.

Also, the bait quest chain absolutely sucks.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Is there a way to fish while sailing? I've tried fishing from the moving ship but it always gives me "line broke" immediately. This is a huge letdown because I would fish and sail more if that were an option.

If you slow your boat down, it keeps moving, but if you quickly get out, it stops the boat completely, and getting back in at that point keeps it at a standstill.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

JosephSkunk posted:

Agreed but don't tell me it isn't fun watching them fling themselves all over the place

This is exactly how I was able to somehow jump ahead to misty bait; randomly picked up whatever fish is required for it. I'm missing like three bait recipes and I couldn't possibly care less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

I feel like if they just removed the current system and implemented Stardew Valley fishing we'd all be better off. Valheim fishing is remarkably bad.

See, I disagree; too many fishing parts in games rely on a mini game. That's not necessarily bad, but I greatly prefer how Valheim's fishing is handled; the fish has to physically come in contact with the bait in order for you to be able to hook it.

Pro tip: try fishing from a boat or from a higher up spot; looking down at the water so you can actually SEE the fish makes it so much better.

This, to me, is a lot like Ocarina of Time fishing, which I also love. Stardew's is fine for what it is, I don't mind it but I'm thankful valheim's is more involved.

I just really hate the bait system.