Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
The nice thing about the antler pickaxe is that you can use a workbench to repair it. You can get pretty big hauls by repairing in the black forests and using a cart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
sometimes the top of a silver vein is exposed, but it isn't common.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
While in the mountain my wishbone started going off. I found a circle of three stones and that's where the wishbone was pinging. I dug and found skeletal remains and nothing else, the wishbone never stopped pinging. Any idea whats down there? Same as the boat graves in meadows?

I dug about 3.5 heights of my character before a stone golem found me and I had to abort.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

boloney posted:

I'm trying to install this mod. https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/42?tab=description

When it says, "Extract content to ***YourValheimFolder***/BepInEx/plugins/", does it mean the Valheim folder in steamapps/common? Because there's no BepInEx/plugins folder there (after installing BepInEx, obviously)

Could be somewhere in:

C:\users\*yournamehere*\appdata\locallow....

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
They're kind of like golems in that they have a resting state, go through an awaken animation and then go into hit things mode.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Last time I dug out silver entirely it wouldn't do that, just flash too hard for every piece then continue floating.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Finally started building with the tar roof tiles and beams. They look very nice. What's the weirdest thing you've found in a tar pit so far?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I found a wraith trophy after ~300 hours in this game.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Valheim+ let's you adjust how long each resin lasts and I think let's you set a timer for automatic placement of resin.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Just had a crypt with an iron gate inside. I broke it hoping to get an iron ingot, no such luck :(

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
What's been your order for iron items?

I do: iron buckler -> pick axe -> crafting upgrades -> weapons. I then horde iron for padded, skipping the base iron armor entirely.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Break your bed, die again to return to spawn. I died while tied to a mountain bed. That cabin had no frost mead, food or warm clothing. I couldn't run down the mountain fast enough without dropping dead. I had no hammer. I lured a golem and he leveled the place in a few swings.

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 20, 2022

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

It's a good way to generate a shitload of resentment among your playerbase, that's for sure.

Devs ill need such a playerbase.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Deathsquitos have so few hp if you are accurate you can get them with an arrow when they are on their jousting flight toward your neck. Just uh, don't miss.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Yes, I mark stone tower locations in the black forest then come back with a cart and some iron to craft a stonecutter, then delete all the lower blocks. Usually only takes 3 towers to fill a cart.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
The animal skin floor trap is pretty good. I remember somegoon made one where you drop into a small room that's largely taken up by a troll headed mannequin mid-stroke on his hog

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Those arches in the windows look new to me, unless it's the tar pieces but I haven't built with those that much.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I've built in each biome and my favorite is building in a meadows/forest adjacent to plains. I can extend a wall/moat/earth mound into the plains for barley/flax planting but still have easy access to handy lower level stuff like thistle, red berries, etc.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Lox can climb a bit more than you'd expect, luring one to your wall would be a good test. Fulings get stopped by lower walls in my experience.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Eifert Posting posted:

For what it's worth I 100% recommend signing up for the test patch. I have had exactly zero stability issues. Every once in a while there's a bit of slow down when there's a blizzard in the mountains and the drakes are shooting at you, but I couldn't tell you for sure whether that existed before the patch. Other than that it's been stable as a rock.

This is probably the least buggy early access game I've ever played. I couldn't tell you I've noticed a single thing that was definitely a bug.

The white out blizzard causes slow down for me too and I've played off and on since it became EA. The most common valheim bug was when you built an enormous base with lots of ground flattening. This would result in a pretty severe performance drop.

They had to rework the code and it was the first thing they focused on when valheim really hit it big. They also included a console command where an existing world/base could be reworked/recalculated with the new method to solve the slowdown issue.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I actually prefer frostner to the current black metal weapons. That chill is good defensively and if your opponent get wet... :discourse:

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

pik_d posted:

I'm currently doing that thing where I'm telling myself "Oh that looks cool I'll wait for that to show up before my next playthrough" :negative:

Edit: Speaking of not playing that often, are there any mods that allow you to craft the maypoles/whatever at any time? How much "comfort" am I missing out by missing the events

Edit2: Guess I could just switch on creative mode? Don't think I ever did during my 1st playthrough

Maypoles/Christmas trees have been buildable around spring/Christmas respectively.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I am pretty sure you can build them in devmode without mods.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Dwesa posted:

I have this feeling I will be probably exploring Mistlands without my arachnophobic coplayer

Grounded has an arachnophobia setting that turns the spiders into less spider like enemies. Maybe valheim will have something similar.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

litany of gulps posted:

I wonder if Valheim spiders will be as nightmarish as Grounded spiders. I can still vividly recall having a wolf spider sneak up behind me in what should have been a pretty safe area in Grounded. I actually shrieked when I turned around it was about to pounce on me.

The wolf spiders still are one of the most fright inducing mobs in any game I've ever played. The only comparable moment for me is (red dead redemption 2 spoiler) that cabin with a bear that immediately goes for your throat upon entering

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

thekeeshman posted:

Has anyone found a good use for the werewolf armor? The speed boost is really nice, but the lack of armor makes it a deathtrap in the higher biomes, at least for me, because I am not good at videogames. Also the fact that finding caves is a huge pain so it's hard to find enough hair to upgrade fully. Seems like it would work well for farming materials in the lower biomes but I don't know what else.

For me it is essentially a straight upgrade from troll armor. Rag->leather->troll was the entire light armor set while heavy was bronze ->iron->silver->padded. Now they've added root and wolf. I do a-okay with the lighter armor in higher biomes but fuling villages still take some planning/sniping.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I like swamps and I've built houses in them before. I think getting a wolf/lox cape helps a lot because at night time you only have the wet effect when outside. When I get into a crypt I always make a quick campfire to dry out and (if needed) get the 3 comfort rested effect (just pop a squat next to your campfire).

I also dig out the fire geysers to make surtling core/coal harvesting trivial.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I love carving out the ground around & under ore veins, breaking a single piece and having the entire thing blow up.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Surtling cores are needed for bonfire fireworks. Very important.

Once I'm up to the swamp I dig out a fire spout and use that as a coal and Surtling core farm. They're really great if your house is close enough that it's constantly active but far enough away that your benches don't effect the spawn. Coal and cores for days.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I had a tuna jump onto my karve as I was headed to the elder. It was stuck for a bit but I couldn't pick it up or hit it at all. Bummer

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
You sir, are a fish.

Yeah I like rdr2 fishing. Didn't care for links awakening, Stardew valley nor corekeeper fishing. Valheim fishing felt very tedious but I haven't gotten to the new fishing yet. I did enjoy picking up fish from the beach after a storm.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
You've beaten yagluth and put his head on the stone. That's when fulings show up wherever.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Does the wishbone work in the mists?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Why do you suppose there's not 4m long core wood beams at 45 and 26 deg?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I think it depends on how big you like to build, what tiers you're willing to skip, etc.

I go to troll armor, root helmet and skip to padded armor from there. Silver is for frostner/draugr fang and wolf cape. That's maybe two or three full silver veins.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I usually end up building very large squares/rectangles though I have a default for the meadows. 5x5 A-frame (prefer 45 but 26 works too) with the center square being the cookpit/chimney. Corners are storage, bed, workbench, forge. A single portal can fit along one wall and comfort items along the other without any difficulty.

Doing two story out of just stone (including floors) can be a little tricky too but I have managed it. I usually end up doing a basement and first floor of stone and then upper floors are core wood/wood.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

anatomi posted:

That amount of terrain fuckery can be pretty hard on performance though.

This has largely been solved, depending on scale. If you're building a base that goes to the horizon in every direction, yeah it'll still slow down. But if you've got a typical base with large storage, individual rooms/buildings for players, wolf/boar/lox pasture, big farm and some fancy bits it's no problem.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Luring 1 and 2 star trolls into swamps or plains never gets old. Watch this 2nd biome bro duke it out with critters from the 5th biome. I bet they'd rock a stone golem if they have a log but I've never lured one up a mountain before.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I think the iron piles outside crypts are more frequent, or maybe I just have a better sense of where to look.

When I'm after a lot of iron I bring a cart, park it outside a crypt and ferry iron to it, a work bench, wall and roof on top of the crypt let's you repair your antler pickaxe(s) so you can usually clear 3 or 4 crypts this way, then spend a lot of time farming and smelting for upgrades/etc.

And yes, root mask is priority #1 for swamp exploration. I didn't even bother making any poison mead on this most recent run. I'm just getting into the mountains now. Next play session will be more silver or maybe a frost cave if I'm feeling froggy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I had a wolf hunt happen just as I began assaulting a fuling village. It turned into a Benny hill scene with wolves getting rocked left and right by fulings while I desperately dodged/parried and headed into a swamp to the relative safety of a big dead tree to climb.