Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Hot drat i have 208 hrs in the game since picking it up in early December. I played a lot of Ark (400hrs according to steam) but got really sick of its bullshit. So far Valheim seems to contain its bullshit pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burns
May 10, 2008

Craft spare gear and extra good for such situations.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Cowards the lot of you. I will accept nothing less than digging out a peninsula to get back to your corpse boat because you strayed too close to swamp biome at night.

Burns
May 10, 2008

My Moder spawn is on a island surrounded by Mistlands.

Burns
May 10, 2008

So im about to gift the game to 2 buddies. I want to get a server game going. Are there any free or cheap servers available that yall would recommend?

Burns
May 10, 2008

Thanks for the tips. I rented one through gtxgames. I dont want to run locally as everyome has difff life schedules so just a place for them to play as they want.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Our first boat trip to find the elder ended in near disaster. We hit the shore hard and at night so the noise instantly drew a troll which we didnt see and a bunch of greydrawfs. My two companions died but i managed to stay alive long enough to build a portal, but because i needed some wood for the workbench the noise from cutting down a small tree still drew more greydwafs. We did manage to cut them down and establish an outpost. So lesson to be taken away is dont invade new shores at night.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Its a solid game as it currently stands which is more than could have been said a year on for a game like say No Man's Sky to make a comparison.

Burns
May 10, 2008

They have a great product. Their endgame should be to sell it to microsoft of course.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Are there any specific rules for where the merchant slawns, besides black forest biome? If i sail by could his icon appear or do i have to scout the islands on foot?

Try root armor against the squitos. I think they do mostly pierce so it might negate them.

Burns fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 4, 2022

Burns
May 10, 2008

This is a complaint i have not just for valheim, (skyrim in looking at you), and so many other games but why do enemy npcs have no ability to jump? Most enemies in valheim can be defeated by a hole in the ground.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Even blobs cant do poo poo with moat and wall.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Those are considered flying though. And also doors and a roof defeat them cause u know... ghosts.

Burns
May 10, 2008

In a lot of youtube building showcases i notice they have shingle-like roofs. Is this a mod or does new roofing eventually unlock?

Burns
May 10, 2008

Thats good and all but i want it now.

Also, i canot for the life of me find the merchant. Fucker is no where to be found.

Burns
May 10, 2008

The seed is running off the dedicated server so id have to look there when u get home i suppose.

Edit: we managed to find the merchant in a bigass forest biome in the west like 2 islands away so alls well

Burns fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 11, 2022

Burns
May 10, 2008

On taming wolves: i found the onky way to effectively do it is to build a stone box kennel, then build a perimeter of stakes all arpund the kennel, basically in a circke radius arpumd the workbench assuming its next to the kennel. Lure a wolf into the kennel and seal them in with more stone. Throw 20 deer meat in, demolish the workbench amd abstain from entering that zone for 30 to 40 mins. The pallisade should be good enough not to have wolves aggro whenever sone greydwarf strays by.

Burns
May 10, 2008

I really wish Fulings were a bit bigger as they are drat hard to spot in the tall grass.

I generally dont like mountain and i still feel there isnt enough variety in terms of mob variety, but more at its basic i dont think ive ever seen even a 1 star drake. 2 star wolves i only ever fought one and dont even know if there are tougher werewolf spawns either.

Burns
May 10, 2008

We just created an army of wolves to eat all of the greydwarfs.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Im hoping they improve weapons by giving them directional aim with the mouse but given its also on steam deck it likely wont change.

Some petpeeves of mine:

A loaded cart is an absolute nightmare to use on any terrain with a slight slope if going up. Im hoping they improve this in some way.

I absofuckinglutely despise the player animations and how the player character has this awful slouch at all times. It looks so bad.

I despise the Fuling design. The standard fuling hit like a truck but look small and weak. They need to bulk them up and make them slightly larger. They are also so small in comparison to the Plains' grass and tough to see.

Attack animations are all junk. Serpent attack anim stops its movement which means its bite attack will almost always miss a boat that is moving away. This is basically applicable to all mobs and attack animations. A lot of older games like skyrim have this issue as well. It would require some work but i do hope it improves.

Burns fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 15, 2022

Burns
May 10, 2008

Are spiders a significant thing in viking myths?

I personally like to see something different.

Burns
May 10, 2008

It takes 5 clicks to get into my server, and then a password screen. This is incredibly irritating.

Burns
May 10, 2008

causticBeet posted:

New crafting tier sounds dope and exactly like the sort of thing that would justify another playthrough after initially binging the hell out of this game

I am still hoping that the stone cutter and Artificer's Table get some crafting recipies. Maybe the artificers table can grant sidegrades to "uptier" older gear etc. Also, id like to see more uses for silver and blacksteel and linen items.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Jabarto posted:

Is there any way to deal with stone golems that isn't "wait for them to despawn"? They can't really be dealt with at range and they're so ludicrously durable that it's almost a foregone conclusion that you'll gently caress up and get instagibbed at some point if you try to get close to them.

Stone Golems are weak to the Pickaxe. 2 options. Circle and roll dodge at them and get a few hits in. Roll dodge give you a few i frames. Option 2: pop Bonemass power and laugh at them. I recommend not fighting them near a cliff because their hits can knock you down.

Abominations: a good shield and an axe work very well. You csn just tank with shield and cut it down.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Nordick posted:

Pickaxe works in a pinch, too, but it's slow and you're rooted to the spot during the attack animation, so it's pretty awkward. Better be on point with dodge rolling.

Being rooted to the ground while an animation plays is my biggest petpeeve in this game. It feels like animation design from 2010. The worst thing is that all mobs have this problem. You can simply step away from most enemy attacks in a lot of circumstances. Even the sea serpent will miss most of its attacks if you are just sailing away because its attack animation stops its movement. I want to see an animation overhaul very much. Decoupling upper torso anims from the lower body wpuld be a good first step.

Burns
May 10, 2008

If those are mistlands rock formations i foresee mobs having a nightmare time navigating that.

Burns
May 10, 2008

It is absolutely infuriating that deathsquitos can 1 shot 2 star wolves. While working on our Plains fortress theres just wolf corpses everywhere. We keep pumping food to breed more. We are also introducing lox now and maybe that will help offset losses. Also, i just found out tamed wolves wont attack event wolves.

Burns
May 10, 2008

I hope they add some kind of squito trap in the future

Burns
May 10, 2008

The content drought has me considering cancelling the server service.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Youd think fishing would be a bigger deal to a maritime culture.

Burns
May 10, 2008

In truth i am hoping whatever they are now working on also includes technical upgrades to the game. Mistlands looks somewhat vertical with lots of cliffs. I hope they add new ways to navigate these environments.

Burns
May 10, 2008

The best was our trip to find the elder which went from a casual trip to omaha beach as soon as we landed because a troll spawned there. I managed to escape long enough to set a portal because everyone else got smashed.

Burns
May 10, 2008

I really hope that the next update will include more fundemental updates to game systems. I would like to see an animation overhaul for player character and npcs as well. Id like to see climbing animations added and more AI enhancements. Also anti-deathsquito base defences would be appreciated in the Plains. I truly how they improve water physics and add flowing water that could lead to waterfalls etc.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Re red mushrooms: you can also use the hoe to remove the grass texture to make them easier to spor in the future

Burns
May 10, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

That's not true, you can run it as a private server from the server applet, and anyone can join as long as the server is online, the host need not be playing

Question. Can I run a server on my main PC even when im playing as well? So long as server running in background or would that be too much? So say as long as my PC is on my friends can play on the same world without me being around?

Burns
May 10, 2008

drewhead posted:

So I moved it off to my NAS server in a container. Recommend

Heh, i dont know what that is.

RPS posted a 40 min interview:

https://youtu.be/QGOP_SURx6E

I notice significant movement issues (them falling off or bouncing around the terrain). This us somewhat worrying as i was hoping theyd add climbing animations. Conan exiles did this well.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Im happy to see the update go live and cant wait to get out of work to play.

Burns
May 10, 2008

AccountSupervisor posted:

Thank the gods they fixed the performance issues with large builds.

It is night and day, our main capital was practically unplayable with how much building and terraforming we did. It is butter smooth now.

Now that sounds interesting.

Burns
May 10, 2008

I decided that insteaf of trying to climb mistlands peaks im just gonna go through them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burns
May 10, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

Lol, enjoy a million seekers and gjall showing up.

Other then the seeker event at the nearby camp the mining was mostly uneventful.