Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Tetrabor posted:

Y'all need to be making your own game if you think spending three hours to run down a digital deer is a good time...

Fishing Planet and TheHunter: Call of the wild already exist so no need

But also no one was asking for a three hour ordeal at all, what a completely bonkers number to pull out of your rear end for no other reason than to be snarky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Tetrabor posted:

Not trying to be snarky, but if you actually read the op then you would discover that's literally what's being talked about :

Early hunters didn't run down deer in minutes, it literally took hours and miles of chasing to do so.

Literally doesn't mean "I took the wildest context from what was said for no other reason than I could"

Kibayasu posted:

Do you think that guy actually meant chasing a deer around the woods for hours?

lol Apparently so

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Floppychop posted:

I don't know about all this realism talk, I'm just enjoying running down deer while naked and wielding a flint knife.

:hmmyes:

Blaise330 posted:

I think the "realism to make the game harder" people are just clapping back at the "realism to make the game easier/convenient" people cause its like hooooo boy, you do NOT want realism or you're in for an insanely boring time.

Real Talk the sort of "Realism" we're talking about with regards to persistence hunting and Valheim is "Deer should not be able to run forever and ever, they should sprint a distance at great speed but at equally great cost to a limited stamina bar. Instead of chasing them being a marathon/biathlon you should wear them down to only being able to walk after a couple of sprints....IN ADDITION to just hitting them with a bow or rushdown clubbing them with a stick or w/e you like"

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 29, 2021

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

Also be aware he's designed specifically to thwart the kite-and-shoot strategy that works so well on basically everything else. Gotta smack him with a mace.

Me and my wife did kite and shoot on bonemass ezpz

Maybe not OPTIMAL but it was completely doable

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Well, I hope they enjoyed their brief moment under the spotlight then...

Seems like they have, yes. It's funded them for the next however long enough that they're comfortable taking their time with things instead of over-hiring or crunching.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

It's a good way to generate a shitload of resentment among your playerbase, that's for sure.

I'm not resentful, I certainly got way more enjoyment out of this early access obviously unfinished game than the 20 buck price tag would have got me in a lot of other places. It'll be there in my steam library when there is more to do

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

Without a large expansion of combat mechanics and exploration rewards the primary purpose seems like it will always be building Viking villages and forts. Adding more doodads to that part of the game seems pretty important.

I got it cause the base building looked actually important to the progression, instead of just something you did in one spot and forgot about, and while the combat isn't bad the building aspect has been, by far, where I've got most of my enjoyment. It works in a way that is very satisfying and when you play with someone else it's fun to wander the wilds and find little outposts scattered about.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

So I read the little update news, and at no point did I get the impression they were going to be "faffing" about and "not working on new content", especially considering they say very clearly they are ramping up work on Mistlands, moving from conceptualizing to building and populating.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

It sounds like they wanted to have it all worked out, all the Ts crossed and Is dotted before they started putting work down so they didn't have to half-rear end it, and while they concept that they also work on stuff that might be a simpler task to work on?

That's a fairly solid priority?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

I can imagine being upset if you were, perhaps, an investor or a shareholder or something like that and they clearly aren't capitalizing on their success to maximize as much short-term profit they can out of their product as they can, but if you aren't any of those things you come off as a bit of a weirdo shouting at the rain.

They're making something they want to, at the speed they want to do it at, and while making money to live on is important -just because- they made more than they expected to doesn't mean they are failing themselves, or you personally, for not turning the machine to 11 until the gears glow.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

If you just don't play, you can skip right to the end and uninstall, scrubs

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Eifert Posting posted:

When people complain about the difficulty of the mist I wonder if they played the most recent balance patch? Right when the biome first came out the spawn rate for the big monsters in the mist was so heavy it was almost rare to not have to fight more than one every few minutes And it was rare to fight a gjall without a soldier aggroing in.

Since the patch it's rare to actually have the fight either if you don't want to. Gjall are rare and easy to avoid, and soldiers can't climb a pebble. By now the regular star seekers are the only real threat.

In particular I find soldiers easier to deal with than lox or golems. With the current balance patch I think you just need to respect the biome and not try and fight everything, only go in if you're stocked up on healing, stamina potions and food, etc.

"It was even worse" isn't really a counter-argument to "It still needs work"

What's more, I don't think anyone needs to be trying to counter-argue with "I don't enjoy this biome" cause what are you even trying to accomplish?

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 31, 2022

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

lmao 3 years of dev and we've gotten 1 new biome, 1 lovely quest npc, and a $1700 replica sword

Good to see they've been spending their $350,000,000+ wisely

"and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad."

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I love the game I think it's great. But come on a little light teasing of the devs and everyone shits their pants? They have hundreds of millions, I don't think they need anyone defending their honor on the forums lmao

Yeah yeah

Next you'll say it was your cousin that typed that

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Yeah that's...the intentional game design

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Slow News Day posted:

Still no Ashlands huh? How long has it been now? What a joke.

Source your quotes

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Exodor posted:

I really, really wish they'd add new content to the game that's not just in the new biome. :sigh:

I feel like the right time to do that would be after you've got all the base game content and progression down already

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Hasselblad posted:

Likely the same as existing shapes, but with Ashlands materials.

Not really, there would be monumental outrage that endgame biome is in but game not yet released.

Oh yeah, totally, people HATE it when a finished game gets free updates to content. Sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Hasselblad posted:

What part of "not yet released" escaped your notice and/or comprehension?

The part where that wasn't what I was talking about in the first place, what's your problem?