Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I bounced off this a bit when it first came out but this time for sure I'm going to get it. First world I rolled into and everything's going swell, and then I spent all my leather scraps and didn't have a bow but decided its fine, I'll go into the black forest anyways, this one grey dwarf seemed fine. 4 corpse runs later I rerolled to a new world and realized I have no gear because I never got back my original corpse. I gave up on that game, but this time, realizing that I shouldn't go into the black forest unprepared I immediately again died in the black forest and have built a shelter for my corpse runs because I accidentally dismantled my spawn point at one point in the journey. Anyways 2 renovations later the corpse run shelter is looking great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I sailed off in my fancy new karve to go find the elder, landed in a village in the meadows a full day's sail from the base. Got ganked by draugr, and I'd like to tell you all that it happened before I could set up the portal, but I didn't even bring portal mats because 'this is just a quick jaunt to make sure my harbor entrance is low enough/figure out how it handles'. So I made the sensible choice to take my bronze axe and backup armor and just start in a new world. fuckDraugr is a really great map seed as it turns out. Nice rich black forest with enough crypts that I'm thinking of fencing one in and making a skeleton observation platform.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

There's no swamp on my continent so I have set sail west. This time I remembered to bring my portal materials. Started sailing at about late afternoon, as you do when sailing west for peak visibility, and a bit into the night I decided to go ashore and drop a portal to go home for the night. I then realize I haven't set the one at home to anything and hoof it back that night. After 2 days and a raging storm I made it to some meadows near some nice big swamp. Sailed right past the cute meadows village (full of draugrs) and set up my portal in a shack down the shore. Being really smart I decide to just poke my nose in and see how bad this is going to be. I'm having fun sniping distant enemies, shooting leeches, feeling all sorts of confident when a 1 star draugr, draugr elite, some skeletons are suddenly on me out of nowhere and my flailing wakes up the abomination. Back at base I see what I have on hand for food putting weird things in my inventory to see if the cauldron will react to it (it won't), eat up, and portal back with the intent of surgical striking this corpse run. I of course die again, and on waking up I realize that corpse had literally all the ingredients on it still because I am an idiot. Now I have 2 corpses with totally full inventories that I need to grab the most important things from. 8 billion arrows later I've thinned out the crowd of draugr enough to get a decent amount of gear back, and actually managed to kill the abomination while drunk on my own victory. I have sailed home with a full 4 stacks of iron, which I assume should last me about 2-3 hours.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Just for the record unset portals will link to each other, just won't work for having more than two.

My other portal was deactivated because I guess the pit I dug near the elder grew back or something fell down there and destroyed everything, so I think that's why it wouldn't connect

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Set up a shiny new base a few islands over. Its in the meadows but plains and mountains are close, and swamp is a short sail away. Moder spawned just up the hill from me and I managed to kill a fuling berserker after only a few deaths. Still need to get a better portal hub going at some point. Small gripe: By the time one of these cultists drops a trophy so I can make a hood and finish my fenris set I'll be onto the next armor tier.

edit:

JosephSkunk posted:

sea serpent for adrenaline rush, it's the best/worst

This just happened and I panicked and went for the first shore I saw which was a swamp and it turns out the good people of the swamp do exactly the same thing to him as they do to me, so now I have giant meats

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 9, 2024

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Moder was the most unfun boss fight, with the most fun rocky style training montage break, before being an annoying but acceptable boss. Maxed my root armor for archery bonus, maxed the silver shield, got the silver sword to 3 (lol 60 silver for lvl 4 when the wishbone is on my spite corpse*), made and maxed the draugr fang, and despite a stone golem showing up along with every wolf on the mountain it went really smoothly other than when I died of fall damage leaping to the hole in the ground where my portal was hidden. Now I'm building a plateau farm in the plains in the hopes that only deathsquitos and maybe drakes will be able to get to it. Too much industry going on at the base and its noisy as hell, it'll be nice to have somewhere quiet to hang out. Also thinking after all that I might just want to chill and fish and sail around for awhile. I feel like the karve is way more maneuverable than the longship, but is it meaningfully slower? Wind being what it is its kind of hard to tell. I'm sick of trying to back the longship into my dock, its like watching a student driver with a bee in the car try and parallel park.

*The spite corpse is left there with all my poo poo and was not to be recovered until Moder was dead.

(If no one wants my blind playthrough stories I can stop with them, I know the morrowind thread always likes hearing about noob adventures.)

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 14, 2024

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Where do mistlands spawn? Randomly? Towards the map edges?

Plateau farm is working out, made the most of some bad terraforming to make a dirt wall wolf-taming containment area if I can talk one of them into chasing me down here.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I'm such a hoarder, I have a reinforced chest entirely filled with stacks of berries and thistles and an overflow chest I grab things out of to feed the boars. Someday I'm going to need 400 blueberries and by god I'll be ready.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

If it weren't for youtube I would probably never have known he existed.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Or just turn off raids in the world settings. My buddy got us a server going last night and I'm convinced he set the raids to some secret setting that makes them pop off constantly.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Wait, torches block spawns?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Yes, as do any of the items on this list: https://valheim.fandom.com/wiki/Player_base

No I knew about the other one's but I've had so many torches outside of gates destroyed I assumed they didn't block spawns for the same reason they don't provide warmth.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Burns posted:

Free materials for life.

Well sure if you're too lazy to make a proper greydwarf farm

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I've given up on dodging entirely at this point on kbm. I should rebind it to something that doesn't require two keys hit in the correct quick succession, but I haven't found a button I like and parrying is still right mouse button for me so I've just been doing that and praying whatever I'm fighting isn't hitting so hard that I take damage through it.

edit: sailed around until we found a swamp that we're totally not ready for and I decided to do a mad dash to find a turnip seed. 2 days, and several stamina potions later I have established that turnips are not native, but at least the greydwarves or something appear to have killed a wraith so early chain I guess.

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 2, 2024

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

What do you mean about two keys in quick succession? All you need to do to dodge is hold block and press space while moving in a direction, even forwards.

In my experience it wants a fresh press of block and then space bar, and never registers it unless I get the space pressed exactly after that new block press

edit: I'm bad at video games so that might have something to do with it

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

My quest for turnips continues, 2 full sized swamps in and none to be found. I pulled my boat up at a likely looking spot, little peninsula on the tip of the swamp, no visible enemies except one leech, and a nice indestructible tree to stick a portal on. As soon as I jump off the boat the abomination spawns under my feet and takes me and the boat out. I think this is going to be a 12 step corpse run at this point.

edit:

Portal at top left, corpse bottom right. RIP me.

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 3, 2024

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Ne Cede Malis posted:

Cheat. I'm having more fun that way after a year plus break. zoooooom

It wasn't as bad as I thought, it only took a new boat, 2 rafts and 3 deaths to get my stuff back.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I've seen a few videos that reference a training gym kind of thing and it seems like a fun thing to add/fill space in the base I've got going, but I can't find a good guide in my initial few searches, anyone know what I'm talking about and know of a decent guide for how to get that going?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I stacked the poison resist from the root set and mead and just beat the poo poo out of him with a mace. No idea why but he spawned almost no adds that fight it if he did idk where they were. All I could see was his neon green crotch.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Elder isn't too bad in melee if you can parry the stomp.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I swear I get grayling's just walking around my house looking around like they're critiquing the decor not smashing anything. Idk if that's intended but it sure is adorable

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

ErKeL posted:

Sometimes the locations just suck. I made a terrible choice of base location awhile back on the beach against this cliff and found these assholes would spawn up top, get absolutely tilted looking at my poo poo, swarm down, swim around my walls and then be back up and in my face.

Was reeal loving annoying. I ended up just moving. Now I live in the swamp where the only issue I suffer is when I get troll raided while making the mistake of being afk logged in.

Do the trolls get pasted by the swamp denizens?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I've seen a pack of leeches(?) melt a serpent before I even realized they were going after him, so I thought it was possible the swamp might fare a bit better, but yeah, I guess they just can't keep up with the troll's damage unless they can stagger it.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

rjmccall posted:

Frost caves are neat but superfluous unless you’re specifically building the fenris set.

This is jute rug erasure.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

rjmccall posted:

Yeah, my first real Valheim trauma was sailing too close to the swamps, getting sunk by eels, and then having to make like twenty rafts on the neighboring island in my efforts to recover my body. I do not land on anything worse than the forest.

How many days sail were you from your spawn?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

It took me a minute to realize that the lack of fine wood meant that there wasn't a portal from one base to the other in addition to the raft situation and my heart broke for you. Please tell me there was a serpent involved at some point.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I love valheim so much

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I think there's also a mod that makes all loot float, which seems safer than diving frankly.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

What would you like to see from existing biomes? The only one I want more expansion on is the Ocean, and that's not really a biome so much as interstitium.

A new wall texture that's not gated behind endgame stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Zodium posted:

you can place workbenches on the pillars, and frankly I would recommend building your initial forward base on one because you will be swarmed when you actually land. there's no real reason not to build the big ship so you can get close without needing to bridge 10 pillars from the periphery though, it doesn't require anything special.

edit: to give an idea of how aggressively you'll be swarmed, I built my forward base on a pillar and the mobs still aggro and walk out into the water to my pillar to try and get me.

I haven't been yet but does the boiling sea stop at the pillars? If not does it do damage to you or the monsters?