Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I have rafts all over my world at the moment because I'm an idiot that likes to die well away from any portal. Then get greedy and continue on, only to die further away when I recover it the first time.

Know all too well how much that thing sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Vanadium posted:

Should probably budget a few hours for it though. :shobon:
On my new seed I found the dude on my 2nd day after building a raft. Couldn't believe it. Dude was right across the creek.
Last game took me days in real time.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

The most interesting thing to me about Valheim is that it looks and feels so drat good without needing a $1500 graphics card. It's beautiful with the settings turned up (which does not require a beefy machine at all) and still charming and eminently playable on a laptop with the settings turned down. They accomplished some classic Blizzard level magic there.

It's seriously smooth like a triple A game. I've hit the mountain range but my mates all rerolled and are scraping through the black forest now and I've been helping out a little bit without handing them loot (because they refuse; if I had my way they'd hurry up).

Building fortresses, towns and camps (for almost no real reason) has been fantastic. Keen to hit the plains eventually and stop getting one-shot by mosquitoes.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Burns posted:

They have a great product. Their endgame should be to sell it to microsoft of course.
This combo'd with Sea of Thieves.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
That's a game changer. I still haven't tamed any wolves yet. Keeping my boars alive is hard enough on its own.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
That second half is definitely me wandering into my own trap again.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Burns posted:

Being rooted to the ground while an animation plays is my biggest petpeeve in this game. It feels like animation design from 2010. The worst thing is that all mobs have this problem. You can simply step away from most enemy attacks in a lot of circumstances. Even the sea serpent will miss most of its attacks if you are just sailing away because its attack animation stops its movement. I want to see an animation overhaul very much. Decoupling upper torso anims from the lower body wpuld be a good first step.
This would be huge and completely change up combat. I am a fan of that. It definitely feels pretty clunky and like you said the Serpent is a complete chump when you realise you can just sail away. It's no threat to a raft of all things.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Jabarto posted:

That was my second ever death. First was setting myself on fire walking out of my cabin because I built a campfire too close to the door.

One of my earliest with my mate was bringing our fire inside and trying to asphyxiate ourselves. That blew our minds.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Eifert Posting posted:

I thought Bonemass wasn't so bad. Honestly I find Lox more annoying than any valheim boss.

I geared up ages to fight him because the swamps were such a nightmare to slog through and he was honestly underwhelming.
If you can survive all the crap in the swamps you can dunk on this thing easy.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Just felt like I needed to show my genius hard at work

Everyone posting pics of their palaces but this is what mine looks like as well.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Dwesa posted:

But there is?

I'm not gonna craft the full arsenal and carry it round to test. I'm just gonna have the wiki up on the 2nd screen.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I've just hit the plains for the first time. My mates and I never hold out long enough to get that deep into this game but it's been fun.

I made the decision to setup our main base in a big swamp and surprisingly it's paid off big. Turned out the entire island was nothing but swamp and 10% plains so it's free iron and black metal wherever we go.

Only time it ran into trouble was an event where a troll with a loving tree branch popped in to say hello with a single swing. Naturally my mates were afk in the base and did not hear me yelling on mic so I had to lead the trolls away and managed to get them distracted on draugr.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Firebert posted:

This is why you build your swamp base high up in the unbreakable trees! It's a bit finicky getting stone down so you can light a fire but it's fun to do.
This is 100% going to be my next swamp base. Sick tree house is my loving jam.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Burns posted:

Would a horde of preplaced loxen make a difference?
I actually tried this with lox and they did gently caress all. You can see even with the wolves one you need a metric fuckton to delete him quick or they all just burn up at once with his fire damage. Ended up a total waste of effort for me but I only had like 6 lox.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I've got one main base set up with everything in the swamp with my mates on our server. Mostly I put it there just to see if I could, but it worked out alright in the end. Only downside is portaling anywhere gives me the wet debuff as I didn't realise it seems to move your character physically on the map while you teleport to the other side.

I'll have smaller workshops in other camps but for the most part it's just to repair gear, or if the resources there (plains/mistlands) are just too far away to bother hauling.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

rjmccall posted:

Yeah, the random draugr in the meadows are a fun surprise when you’ve never seen them before. They’re usually pretty well pent up in the houses, but they can break out if you stick around too long.
They definitely caught me with my pants down the first time. I think they were the first time I found draugr so I grossly underestimated their strength at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Sometimes the locations just suck. I made a terrible choice of base location awhile back on the beach against this cliff and found these assholes would spawn up top, get absolutely tilted looking at my poo poo, swarm down, swim around my walls and then be back up and in my face.

Was reeal loving annoying. I ended up just moving. Now I live in the swamp where the only issue I suffer is when I get troll raided while making the mistake of being afk logged in.