Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Weembles posted:

I think you're all trying to read patterns into a RNG.

I was looking at some random seeds at Valheim World Generator website and it seems that crypts are more likely to appear in larger continuous biomes, but bosses seem to spawn quite randomly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I have only about 12 hours in this game and I read there are tides. How high or low they might be? I noticed waters near my beach base going bit higher or lower, about half a meter maybe, does it ever go higher?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

https://twitter.com/Valheimgame/status/1438771040650412032

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

New development blog

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Hasselblad posted:

Thank goodness for fire arrows.
Draugrs are resistant to fire damage, btw

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

https://twitter.com/Valheimgame/status/1488200151621582853

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

So, there will be mountain caves and dungeons? Or maybe caves mixed with dungeons? Cool.

I hope those moths will be less annoying than drakes

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

bird food bathtub posted:

Drakes haven't given me much trouble. It's mosquitos making a random-death zone anywhere within a mile of the plains biome when you're still rocking full troll hide armor that has annoyed me. Now I just completely avoid plains biome as soon as I see it on the horizon until I'm geared up for it.

Drakes are not really troublesome, the only issue I have with them is that they're just nuisance and nothing else, we just finished mountains biome and they never really posed threat under normal circumstances

PS: I'm glad devs added hot tubs, viking hot tub is a fun idea. I think adding stuff to existing biomes is also important, because otherwise mountains felt rather incomplete compared to swamps and swamp was missing some troll-like monster (and alternative armor like troll armor) before they added abominations

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 2, 2022

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

ErKeL posted:

That's a game changer. I still haven't tamed any wolves yet. Keeping my boars alive is hard enough on its own.
I have tamed boars or wolves and then lost them too many times :smith:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

mountain caves are here

also some sneak peek at mistlands update - scaly rabbit?
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/892970/view/3131694924763930710

patch notes
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/892970/view/3131694924763932004

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

nelson posted:

My brother and I killed Bonemass last night… he was easier than the elder. Seemed overhyped for sure.
Yeah, it was fairly easy fight for us too. I found next boss to be much harder first time, but that was mainly because we ran out of arrows and there were drakes and stone golems popping everywhere (died when boss was at about 1% or less of health and had to fight him again from full health, but it was much easier second time)

nelson posted:

We really enjoyed the swamps. Much more fun than copper mining and the swamps are full of creatures and it has a unique flavor.

Any advice for mountains? So far I’ve found obsidian and upgraded the workbench, found onion seeds in a chest that are growing in my garden but not ripe yet, and mined a small amount of silver (what I could carry by hand). None of the silver recipes particularly stand out as “get this now” because I’ve got fully upgraded Iron gear. I am a bit worried about the logistics of getting a lot of silver down the mountain too. Seems much harder than the swamp in that regard.
Butcher's table for mountain-level food to boost your health before you upgrade your armor, probably. Otherwise I usually upgrade weapons/shield first + frost resistance armor in mountains is fairly important

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Glad to see the Lefts outvote the Rights. I think I'd actually get confused if I tried to follow the right hand wall.
Right.

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Back in the days of Morrowind, cliff racers used to annoy the poo poo out of me - then some kind soul created a mod that makes them ignore you if you're significantly higher level than they are. I need that for greylings and greydwarves, they are irritating as poo poo. I don't want to use the mod that turns down their frequency because I need their eyes.

And drakes. And greylings and greydwarfs. And bats. But mostly bats, they are hard to hit and drop only scrap leather and I have tons of it from boars already.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

punishedkissinger posted:

kinda bummed that there is no way to farm resin still. :(
Greydwarf nests?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I have this feeling I will be probably exploring Mistlands without my arachnophobic coplayer

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I found slowing effect of frostner to be quite helpful when dealing with plains yodas

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Does anyone know if tar respawns? I'm aware the enemies do, but was wondering about the nodes.
I think none of resource nodes respawn.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Woah, two-handed sword

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Phigs posted:

And plains are just too dangerous to enjoy.
I found some small plains island in the ocean and covered it with workbenches. It's very nice biome if you don't have to worry about enemies.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

pork never goes bad posted:

Yeah it seems fine to me to take a while to make a good update.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Ravenfood posted:

At plains tier it would be cool use build fish nets that consume bait (I know that isn't how fish nets work) to generate fish. You could obviously fish earlier but passive slow fish generation would be cool.
Or wicker fish traps using bait.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Mistlands gameplay trailer premieres 22 Nov 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZOuBjvETR8

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZOuBjvETR8

Mistlands available for public testing

also spells? "Morrowind update"

patch notes

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Nov 22, 2022

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I spent 2 hours sailing, trying to find some mistlands and once I found them, I spent about 10 minutes exploring them. Anyway, the new biome looks gorgeous (or what I saw in the mist) and I found some friendly dwarf village. Mistlands seem quite cool so far.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 22, 2022

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Vord posted:

Can I use an existing world or do I need to start a new one for mistlands to appear?
If you haven't explored them yet, they will be generated with the new content even on the old world.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Ravenfood posted:

Well poo poo, I think I'm going to have to just create a new game for this.

Might be worth it, from the patch notes:

quote:

* Terrain generation change, to increase the amount of Mistlands on the map

Not sure whether upgrade world mod will be able to help with that. On the other hand, one of the devs mentioned that mistlands generated in old worlds are more "compact" with interesting locations less spread out.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

pik_d posted:

My current save is over 400 days in and I haven't come across a single rancid remains trophy, this is extremely mean of Irongate. :negative:
I forgot there is a different variety of skeleton. I wish burial chambers would stay relevant longer.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Nordick posted:

A simple way to do this would be to give surtling cores a use beyond the fixed amount you need to build smelters and stuff. Like, they could be turned into some kinda super fuel for smelters and blast furnaces that makes them work faster, or something like that.
Even then it is easier to kill some respawning surtlings in the swamp. Perhaps ghosts could drop something.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

https://twitter.com/Valheimgame/status/1600098681239179264

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Sand Monster posted:

I think we've only explored 40% or so of our map, so I'm inclined not to start a new world; however, I recall someone talking about a mod that populates areas you've explored with new content. Does anyone have the name of that mod?
Upgrade World

It can also upgrade biome distribution (worlds generated after Mistlands update have more... Mistlands!), but it may also change some things in current/explored biomes (possibly damaging bases and such)

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Dec 6, 2022

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Burns posted:

Im happy to see the update go live and cant wait to get out of work to play.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

And flatten ground around the altar so you don't slow down in water and you don't have to deal with random leeches.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Jusupov posted:

Bonemass tip: Just use stagbreaker to find silver and skip him

Not sure what they gated behind him on the vendor though
That's trading one-time fight (that is not even that hard with some preparation) for permanent inconvenience.

Ymir flesh, which is required for one of the best weapons in game.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 14, 2022

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

quote:

* Mistlands Seeker event tweaked (It will no longer trigger in Meadows, Swamps, Mountains or Ocean. It will no longer spawn Seeker Soldiers and the amount of Seekers & Broods has been rebalanced)
* Seeker AI tweaks (They should now circulate a bit and not be on the player constantly to give them some time to catch their breath)
* Seeker Soldier and Gjall spawn rate tweaked (Was spawning quite frequently earlier. It’s now much similar to Troll spawns in Black Forest)
:hai:

quote:

* Hare running speed slightly decreased
:yeshaha:

quote:

* Mating hens no longer sound like boars
:dafuq:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I am looking forward to being able to explore Mistlands instead of being stopped by gjall and two soldiers after a short trek... and whoops, it's night already.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

patch in live version now

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

OwlFancier posted:

Grabbing them as they leap out of the water is much more fun than normal fishing
Not so fun when one of the poisonous puffer fish got stuck in the ship and was constantly poisoning me

Eifert Posting posted:

Against seeker soldiers It's handy because you'll eventually run out of stamina parrying and smacking them a couple of times If that's all you do. If you quickly switch to the mage staff every second or third Parry You can do a ton of damage and it allows your stamina to regen as well.
You can just climb on any rock and they won't follow you, soldiers are really bad at climbing.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I made a small mushroom farm on the border between mistlands and black forest biome. It seems these border regions are more flat and less rocky than the interior of mistlands biome. More easily defensible too.

I just avoid 'submerged' mistlands, those small rocky islands. One of (before the last patch) them randomly spawned gjall while we were in the boat nearby. It wasn't pleasant.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Btw, seeds might get outdated after updates, bosses and many other structures might spawn in different locations, even terrain and biome distribution were changed to some extent after Mistlands update.
So if you find some older seed posted and you like it based on boss placement or something else, it's good idea to check how much it changed since then on that world map generator website.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

New development blog, showing some Ashlands concept art

+ new clothes are coming, possibly difficulty options, ability to change your hairstyle and something called Hildir’s Quest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

rjmccall posted:

I do wish there was something in the game to suggest using maces, though? It’s not like you don’t fight a million oozes already, and they don’t seem to be conspicuously strong/weak against anything. I tried a few things (swords, arrows of different kinds) and couldn’t seem to do damage faster than he healed, so I just gave up and checked a guide.
But there is?