Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
poo poo tons of arrows if you want to be safe, or wait until they telegraph an attack, get behind them and hit them with a pickaxe.

If wolves or fenrings get involved use them to agro the golem and they take care of each other. If drakes get involved, hope you have some maneuvering room and stamina potions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Valheim "genetics" are a 50/50 chance of either parent's star level. Breed two 2-stars and your guaranteed a 2-star baby.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Pretty much. Complicating factor for this is that two star wolves only spawn at night when fenrings are also running around so have fun with that.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

AmbientParadox posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fUpZLsmh6U
This boar farm was so easy to construct and work with. It took me maybe an hour to set it up and an hour later I had a hundred raw meat. For my pig farm, I found that using a spear is the best way to cull them since it's a forward attack, not an arc. Since the bottom pen will have tons of piglets, the spear lets you kill the adults, maximizing your meat output.

In other news, the gang and I attempted Yagluth and it went very poorly. For starters, we didn't have any fire resist pots. Second, only one guy had frost arrows. Then, two deathsquitos spawned and murdered us. After that, a fuling patrol. including a 1 star spear thrower, wandered into the fight and chased us during our corpse runs. But we're learning from our mistakes:
1. clearing the plains out from a huge area surrounding the fight.
2. dropping torches all over the area to prevent deathsquito spawning.
3. going to build a large fence around the area to prevent any fuling spawns from wandering in
4. building a small rest area underneath Yagluth's altar.
5. making an additional "oh poo poo" portal
6. better food and arrows

Is there anything else we're forgetting? Would it even be worth it to construct small stone walls spread out like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyenKCEJ8i4
We used that strategy for Moder's aerial phase to great success.

Yagluth's beam attack will chew through rocks with ease, and I assume walls as well. The pillars around his spawner collapsed during our fight. I don't think it works on ground though so maybe raising up chunks of ground with a hoe will work?

Get good food. Really good food. Lox pie blood pudding and fish wraps was my combo for the fight. Then the fire resist and medium stamina/healing potions.

Possibly better equipment? A deathsquito shouldn't be much of a threat if you're fighting the boss of the plains. If they ambush you and get in a bite they can do some damage, sure, but shouldn't be murderous amounts. As soon as you hear them buzzing in hold block and point towards the sound. First attack will bounce off your shield, then they stand around for a second or two, whack them and they should die in one shot.

Fulings, yeah they're gonna suck no real way around how hard those assholes hit. Maybe even more raised ground around the arena to make a wall? a large fence is just going to get obliterated between the beam attack and meteors.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

haldolium posted:

I say add diving and cut the stamina drain for just being in water.

Diving would let you recover stuff lost at sea instead of terrifying me that I might lose something and have no way within the game mechanics to recover it. I'm ok with getting wrecked over and over having to do corpse runs. 'lol sucks to be you it's gone' is significantly less fun.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I have my actual base I live in, and then teleporter spokes to outposts that exist for no reason other than to refine and transport metal back home.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Ravenfood posted:

It would be nice if building safe harbors was more doable.

I've gone to some extreme lengths to do this and hoooooly poo poo do monsters take it as a personal insult that a boat exists. Fuckers have gone almost out to render distance then back to get around my sea walls then swimming out IN TO the sea past my docks to sit in the water and swing at my boats.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

zombienietzsche posted:

I could also just start exploring the plains

I wish you a much smoother experience than I had with this. My eventual solution was 'travel in packs with friends and always have a portal nearby'. That place is deadly.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I hosted a dedicated world with some friends and family. We started off scrounging together a hut and some walls for safety for all of us then when we got more resources and progress everyone went their own way. The starter place turned in to a portal terminal and everyone "lived" at their own places.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Ravenfood posted:

How did that work with the events and spawn changes as you kill bosses? Or did everyone progress roughly evenly?

We all came together for killing bosses as a group project. One of our players was a little behind on building trenches around his home and had some rough times because of that. Otherwise everyone was moving as a group on the big milestones. Might be a problem if there wasn't that coordination I guess? Going back and killing an already dead-ified boss is pretty easy though, I summoned one of each for the trophy in my own bedroom.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I'd be ok with portal tiers. Done with forests and bronze tier stuff? Use a bunch of it to make portals that can handle bronze but not iron. Done with swamps and swimming in iron? Use a bunch of it to make a portal that can handle iron but not silver.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
They link to a Reddit AMA on that blog. Is there a source for all their answers that doesn't involve trying to scroll through and parse Reddit's atrocious format?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
As long as someone had built adequate trenches/earthen walls around a secure base then opening up more threatening raids isn't actually more of a threat. Just means bigger nasties sitting outside your trench/wall.

Except frost drakes. That one can actually cause problems if you're not moderately geared and have good structure coverage of the important bits of your base.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The one time we had some starred fulings spawn while a team of us on a private server were exploring and semi-starting to build a plains base the end result was "Screw this, wait until morning." Block all you want one of those jerks was tossing spears that you dodged or you died.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Carts and roads ended up just irritating me. Huge pain in the rear end to get roads smooth enough for a finnicky-rear end cart to not flop all over the place or just come to a dead stop because it saw a bump in the road. Then you load it down and it gets even heavier and more annoying. I eventually just gave up. If it wasn't on or near a coast to put in a boat I ignored it and sailed on to find something that was.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I start with the pick so it doesn't break halfway through a crypt. Then it's usually weight that's the limit not a broken tool.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I've run it locally. Just used a spare, old laptop I had left around that was acting as a media server for the household. Valheim isn't very challenging on processing if it's not that many players. We had 5 players simultaneously on my old potato-level laptop sitting in a corner.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Drakes haven't given me much trouble. It's mosquitos making a random-death zone anywhere within a mile of the plains biome when you're still rocking full troll hide armor that has annoyed me. Now I just completely avoid plains biome as soon as I see it on the horizon until I'm geared up for it.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

pik_d posted:

It's definitely not the same story/setting but I've been loving Subnautica recently.

Oh man if you have not played Subnautica before you are in for a hella good time. If I could forget the game and experience it all over again I'd totally do it.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Though I would only try that once you can handle the occasional skeeter. Building on that border and feeling safe behind some walls and moats has worked poorly for me in the past. Stupid tall walls of earth around you can prevent mosquitos from even being interested in the first place and plains crops can pass through portals so I tend to just make a big, ugly box of dirt with fields of crops and a portal inside then bring it all back home where the processing stations are.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

LLSix posted:

What do you do for farming vegetables?

:ssh: Mods. I just finally gave up and used mods. It's so tedious after a while.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Babe Magnet posted:

yeah 80% of my deathsquito deaths are when I'm just sailing around on a boat looking for stuff lol

That's the one that scares me most. I'll deal with them or make the corpse run while on land. One of them bastards will fly a half mile out in to the ocean when you're not looking and pop you in the back of the head just to be a dick.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Swamps are fun for what they are on a play through. I dislike coming back over and over slogging through swamp dungeons getting pestered by stuff I'm two tiers past because I have to farm for more iron.

Edit for plains skybases: Don't fight the boss near pillars you built your base on. Homeboy's beam attack chews that poo poo up and when it gets disconnected by a cross section the entire pillar bursts in to stone and collapses, destroying the temp base you built up top with a portal in it for respawns during the fight.

bird food bathtub fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 11, 2022

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
90% of games yeah, fishing is shoe horned in and sucks. Fishing in Valheim just kinda sucks but it doesn't feel very artificial. Half the map is oceans and building a boat is a big deal and ocean culture is kind of a thing with Vikings and all.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Re-installed this over the weekend and started up again now that I figure mistlands is baked enough to be enjoyable. Ashlands is next I hear, any ETA on that? Should I stop playing and wait for that or can I just avoid the biome while slowly grinding my way through the game again solo and then when the patch is out then mosey on down there?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
For the stupid among us, what is manual snapping and how is it different from what there is now?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Oh, that's pretty cool. I've already got about halfway through swamps on my current restart and mods breaking is a pain in the rear end so probably won't wait for it, just keep on keeping on.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Right at the start I just found a good spot near the starting altar thing. Once I got to iron so I could make stone walls I found a midsized island that I could see both ends of at the same time and clear-cut everything that dared grown on my land, flattened it all, dumped crafting benches everywhere and made myself an island hermit fortress. I don't want anything to do with anything leave me alone stop spawning on my lawn dammit.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

thekeeshman posted:

The thing is that you're going to have outposts in multiple places, and once you get portals transporting anything other than ore or finished ingots is trivial, so from a logistics standpoint all that matters is that your main base has convenient access to the sea. We have our main base in the meadows and then small island outpost farms in the plains and mistlands for those crops.

The other thing to realize is that as you defeat bosses harder enemies start spawning in the earlier biomes at night, so even being in the meadows won't save you from things like Fulings or Seekers. Islands you can just take over completely and be safe from most things, and peninsulas can be good too if you dig a moat or just have a big fuckoff wall. I wish they would implement drawbridges though.

Other than that let aesthetics reign. We're currently building a replica of Helm's Deep in some plains at the base of a mountain.

There are mods for drawbridges. In the base game though I manage to make kinda the next best thing. As far as I know monsters don't jump, at all, so they're not programmed for it even if that 'jumping' doesn't involve the space bar at all. A gap across a moat bridged by a ramp starting at ground level and going down into the moat gap that doesn't quite touch the other side leads to a very tiny gap that you can just walk off, fall on to the ramp, and keep motoring on without ever breaking stride. It counts as 'jumping' for the AI, and you never have to do anything but hold down the forward key.

A crappy ASCII art explanation:
code:
__     __
  |  /|
  | / |

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Did something change since I played like two years ago? I swear I used to be able to farm fine wood much easier, now I never have enough. I almost remember getting one seed per player-planted tree but I'm not sure I can be certain of that. I do know I'm gearing up to fight bonemass and I'm still spending hours running around finding fine wood for portals every so often when I remember it was at one point a solved problem.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Sometimes event attacks are useful, like when piles of troll hide just walk up to you or surtlings deliver coal like DoorDash. I do the small island evil villain Skull Mountain lair thing, but I don't put benches everywhere to turn of all spawns. I just build on top of sheer cliffs I raised out of the ground so spawns can never do more than toss rocks or arrows or whatever at my stone walled castle. When an event does happen I choose whether to reap the bounty it delivers or just keep baking my bread.

Also I found an island with one of the boar runestones on it and I don't want to turn off my no-taming-necessary source of endless boar meat.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
There are alternate spawn points for the bosses. Most of the seed engine websites will tell you where they are. Can just pop your seed in one and head towards a different spawn if you don't want to do mods.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
God dammit Steam why the gently caress do you not have an option to disable auto updates entirely yet? Some tiny little update I haven't even seen patch notes on broke Valheim+, so now my inventory shrank and deleted my gear.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Yeah thanks for those. I was able to repair Valheim+ and Epic Loot needed updated too, then an evening with dev commands mostly fixed the in game broken and lost stuff. Now I have Steam set to offline mode because "God dammit Steam why is this not a native option yet?" I want to finish Mistlands in peace. I'll break poo poo later when Ashlands releases and the payoff is worth it. Don't want to keep doing this for whatever miniscule updates they release.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Dwesa posted:

I am playing mostly vanilla game (I only used upgrade world mod and "barbershop" mod), but after some time I simply console spawned item required for the fenris hood.

I believe I did three caves thinking "Oh maybe that was just random and I'll get more with the next one." Then, yeah, console time.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I find it somewhat strange that they introduce an entirely new "class", for lack of a better descriptor within Valheim, so far in to the game. There's what, two more biomes until completion, ashlands and the ice lands? Maybe a third?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I used that for a bit when reverting from that day's update fixed stuff. Then it eventually gets updated as well and everything breaks anyway. There's no way to prevent it outside of switching to offline mode and not re-connecting until you want to fix everything.

Hopefully one of these years Steam will include the option but it's been a while so far.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Farming Mistlands sounds terrible. I would think one gjall would nuke everything and just be too frustrating. I've seen what a gjall does to dwarf towers, it ain't pretty.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Firebert posted:

So many good difficulty options - disable raids, disable skill loss and keep equipped items on death, allow you to take ore/ingots through portals.

Skill loss, items on death and ingots through portals is like 75% of what I use Valheim+ for. Nice to see them taking the good ideas. Now if they include crafting from storage we'll be going somewhere fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I've always been a fan of the idea of a craftable upgrade to portals that allows you to teleport the previous tier of metals. If you craft the upgrade using iron, you can teleport bronze freely. Craft the upgrade with silver and you can teleport iron freely.