Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.
I'm just surprised (pleasantly so) that when me and my buddy logged out when on a boat trip, when we moved back in the boat was there and the only damage was from my momentarily clipping through the boat, damaging it and me (not enough to kill either fortunately). I'd been expecting worst tbh

The other viking I've been playing with had wanted to find plains for a while, we finally got a ship made and went assuming to find some. We finally did naturally it was on a long out jutting peninsula of the starting continent!

Love the chill vibe of this game, and the difficulty curve and the way it works. I saw a troll for the first time days after I'd started playing the game, from a distance, and when it saw me I actually felt panicked and ran. Now that i fight them the feeling of progression is just so... Fulfilling!

Now if they'd just quit killing my carrot crops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
I mean, it's already a good deal for 20, I'm glad they are updating it and i don't feel conned.

If they were strategizing and wanted to make the maximum amount of money and maybe build a bigger corporation they could hire a bunch more people and maybe it would work great for them and maybe it wouldn't. I could see taking their current engine and making some great clone games i think they have a flair for content and balance so far.

I hope it stays a "labor of love" however which is the vibe i get so far, if they keep releasing such deep content and don't get distracted by making their next game to keep profits up, Valheim could be something really special.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003

BrianRx posted:

I'm a little concerned that one of the devs is pretty committed to making it a hardcore survival game (or at least was) which is generally not what players seem to want. Most additional modded content is building related or adds more stuff in general, but I don't think anyone would prefer if hunger deteriorated more rapidly or you had to balance your diet or whatever else hardcore survival suggests

I hear you there i don't want this game to head down the road into "how long can YOU last!!!" type mechanics, at least so far the push pull between their interests has lead to a great building game where the parts have value (since sweat equity) and the build gets tested by varying types of attacks, but you still have time (and the need) to plant and check moods on bees and murder innocent forest dwellers pick berries etc etc

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
I found the merchant after weeks of playing, right after having given up and used the 42069lolwhatever seed. Oh well the fish are tasty and i found a queen bee on the cheat seed

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
What do you bet that the most land mechanic is that you're walking on clouds that constantly move

Edit: mist

JosephSkunk fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 11, 2022

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
New guess for mistlands: you can build people catapults

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003

Sand Monster posted:

The tediousness of fighting enough of them to max out a set of the root armor seems unthinkable.

The upgrades are cheap, but also if you're in the swamp much it'll just build up over time anyway. The resist to piercing from the harnesk is really useful, and having always on poison resist is almost a must in the swamp.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003

Scaramouche posted:

I've read up on tombstones disappearing, but it seems like an exclusively multiplayer thing, or potential bad interaction with mods, neither of which are possible in my particular case. Is it just gone?

I've e had things not save for sure, it's been a trend at some points and I'm still trying to get the right combination of steps to replicate it so i can know what not to do. Lately I've been trying to stay on the server at least until i see the next "world save" before i log off after making changes, and i think that's been helping. Did you log off or lose con right after?

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
When you use an old seed, does it have newer features? For example if I used a seed from when it came out, will the mountains still potentially have caves?

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Sweet! Has there been an appreciable improvement in map generation from newer seeds since the earlier releases? I'm playing an old seed and trying to decide whether to stick on it, it's from the early days of the game

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Thanks! Yeah i was seeing some rough stitching and wondering if it would look better with a modern map. I'll try it out thanks

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
There's a lot of different ways to fight him, and i think what people are saying is that you can make it boring if you want to do the arrows method, but he's made to be fought with blunt weapons and face to face.

I fought him solo for the first time last night, died once (thought the root armor would be enough poison protection it wasn't), using iron mace, banded shield, etc. Did give myself a little fighting room using the hoe since his shrine was in a particularly wet area of the swamps. Gotta use block and dodge, but completely do able.

This game is one of the greats, i keep coming back to it trying to chase the dragon, but it's killing me that I'll probably have to wait years for the finished product. Not sure I'll still care once it's done, despite previously defending their slow releases.

Trying to pace myself.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003

Eifert Posting posted:

Oh man y'all, All I can tell you is I hope you haven't been throwing away your trophies

:suspense:

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
I've been trying to live Frostner as much as what i hear on the forums but it didn't seem to be as useful as the sword, it just feels slow and ineffective. I really miss the atgeir at the silver level. Maybe it's because I'm mostly fighting wolves at this point and i need speed more.

Or maybe it's the shing sound,i think it's the shing sound the more i think about it.

Speaking of sounds, i love how they seem to have a choir (or at least one singing voice) singing during the storms, or something similar. It makes the storms seem so much more... Epic? Like the badass storms in old looney tunes.

Am i crazy or do you hear it too?

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
I had to migrate away from my root suit when it was time to explore caves, cultists and fire were a problem, but the rest of the time i really love it.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
I learned to love the swamp after living in it a bit, the unbreakable trees make for a great home after a bit of work.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
I like to follow the lines of the trees and make something organic and swampy looking

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
That works really well with docks too

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Agreed but don't tell me it isn't fun watching them fling themselves all over the place

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003

A MIRACLE posted:

The worst is getting drive by murked by a deathsquito when you sail a little too close to the plains with a boat full of ore

That sucks so much, I got jacked the other day with a boat load of iron, middle of the day, a ghost popped out from under a half submerged hutch on s swamp coast and killed my boat. I had no arrows but ice on me.

That was when i learned that boat inventory is recoverable at least. This map has almost no iron, the swamps are too narrow.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Swamp is my favorite because it's a manageable challenge, and the unbreakable trees provide security in a way. I like to build weird yoda-meets-ewoks style tree huts.

Black forest second since you have access to all the basics, but it needs to be near a mountain so i can tame wolves.

Meadow so i can farm pork (to feed the wolves) and grind feathers

Then plains for a farm :) eventually i get all the black metal I need just with occasional forays from that

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Mistlands makes a great home once you're in padded+good weapons, porcupine etc. The dverger towers make a great home, especially if you find one with a big basement. There's enough that you can make a network of them with portals in each. The giant weapons and armor make it really easy.

I added the Tar Valley Chicken Hut out at Tar Valley farms (Taste the Tar difference!) And along with seeker steak and bread living in the Mistlands is becoming really do able.

Now i just need to find more black marble

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
If you're at all elevated above the water, then you can use the hoe to raise the land around your place and make the walls more sheer so they'll stop your enemies without you needing to build walls. If that helps in your scenario vOv

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
The darkness gets real bad right after nightfall and just before the dawn, but the rest of the time i feel that it's mitigated by the glow of the big tree. I do like how things are hidden in the shadows though.

I don't get the complaints about building in the mistlands though, black marble and window grills make for a pretty cool building, and seekers coming in though the roof hatch give it spice. It's pretty defensible still while still leaving challenges for defense.

Can't wait till they fix ballistae, though I'm not convinced they are very useful even when they work right. Anytime firing from the top of a tower has a hard time hitting a gjall's weak spot. It mostly seems to just knock them around.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Good because the first thing that seems to die when we take over a tower is the dverger door

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yeah one of the seeker attacks just sends you flying from the knockback, I fear getting caught by that on a high rock over the water will be a fast way to drown

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
I guess I should have expected that the floor would be lava

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
The weakness of the mage makes it fun still even in the earlier biomes

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003

rjmccall posted:

Alright, well, day two of Moder somehow went even worse, and now both my main and backup armor are on a mountain in the middle of plains being camped by a dragon who has destroyed my base.

Been there, fwiw. My multi day solo fight with Moder had me making multiple portals all around the mountain peak so i could come back after he destroyed the others. Went through a bunch of armor but was able to keep retrieving it and trading off between the sets.

Go home and go to bed every nightfall, then come back and resume the fight every morning. He'll regenerate but not as much as will make it a bad idea. Those nightly adds are not worth it.

Besides that, keep kiting and arrowing, alternate fire and stinger arrows. You'll get her eventually

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003

rjmccall posted:

Is there a way to go back and get a list of everything that just unlocked?

Hit your "inventory" button, click on the bird icon under your name, then hit "message log"

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Any tips on soloing Yagluth? I fought him with a group but never solo and some of the comments don't sound too promising. Now that i know i should have used a spear on Moder :)

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
I mean if you're not using fireballs to kill the wabbits...

Edit: my biggest problem with the arbalest is that i have to start over cranking every time i jump

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003

Washin Tong posted:

I refuse to use the Draugr fang.
It looks loving stupid.

Wait the Draugr Fang looks stupid, so you use the double ended feather duster?

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Once your agriculture game is scaled up, salads and omelettes are the easy choice. Tar Valley Chicken Hut can feed both my wolves and me, i just use my old barley farm. Bonus is that i don't have to feed the chickens separately, the harvest does the work.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003

Ravenfood posted:

I just think the eggs should be something like the middle-ground equivalent like jerky

I think that's a cool idea

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
I enjoy the tower defense game of defending your supply lines, that part sometimes keeps me up at night and i find setting up the most efficient paths really rewarding.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003

Trivia posted:

increase danger and drop rates for everything the farther away you are from world origin.

I was thinking maybe drop more for higher woodcutter skill, but i like this better

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
It looks like Hildir's Request is up

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
I like my little Dvergrgrghr buddies so I never kill them however early on in the mist they make great friends to run to if you're in a pickle, and if you just stand by the extractor crate while there...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
I had luck with the lox but i had a lot of little groups spread out all over the nearby plains, so groups would agro on him regularly as the fight migrated. Provided frequent breathers.