Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

this is the thread for discussing impeachment the most important topic facing america today that mysteriously does not yet have a cspam thread! wowzers!

the short of is that former president he-who-must-not-be-named spent five years yelling at his supporters to be angry and then on january sixth they finally got so angry that they convinced the police to politely let them inside the capital to take selfies terrifying all the congresscritters who are horrified by the idea of ever having to talk to someone who might be rude to them

you might think that sounds really bad and that president he-who-must-not-be-named should be locked up in jail for his crimes against the democracy well the problem with that is that you cant charge the president with crimes whats that you say isnt president he-who-must-not-be-named not actually president anymore so theres nothing stopping real courts from charging him to which my response is shut the gently caress up democracy hater

anyway we are now undergoing an extremely respectable and decorous trial where the judge is a senior official of the prosecution and half the jury is openly colluding with the defense on strategy and the only hypothetical consequence of the trial is that president he-who-must-not-be-named might be prevented from running for president in 2024 if they choose to interpret the wording of the constitution in a really stupid way so as to suggest that the simple majority vote to disbar an official from future office isnt contingent on the two thirds majority vote required for conviction in the previous sentence

the supreme court wants nothing to do with this trial and will probably overturn this interpretation if congress actually tries to go through with it this is all of course never minding the fact that if trump was actually widely understood to be as cut and dried a seditionist as the succ uh democrats want us to believe nobody would think he was running for president again in three years

anyway since this thread is most definitely not a stealth attempt to bring the succ zone we dont need to do stuff like talk about other subforums or uh whatever other dumb things this very bad succ zone did that got the thread closed down any further questions as to whether this thread is actually the succ zone in disguise should be answered by the thread title debate and discuss uh i mean piss and poll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
impeachment is very funny and a large reason of why the Dems will be humiliated in 2022 and 2024

people are starving and dying you shmucks!

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

i dont give a gently caress about the succ zone

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

what is this succ zone you speak of were in the impeachment thread

https://twitter.com/JenLawrence21/status/1359623622206267392

tired: deplatforming trump supporters

wired: retrosuperplatforming trump supporters

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

in other impeachment news

https://twitter.com/13WHAM/status/1360257209058361349

now officially means that cuomo being terrible is also on topic

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress to cuomo

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

lmao that dems are really doing an impeachment trial of a president out of office for over 3 weeks before doing "immediate" checks

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

also that person behind him in the photo is literally his mom lmao

https://www.insider.com/zip-tie-guy-capitol-riot-plastic-handcuffs-police-prosecutors-2021-1

quote:

Munchel, who broke into the building with his mom, was labeled "zip-tie guy" after he was photographed barreling down the Senate chamber holding the restraints. His appearance raised questions about whether the insurrectionists who sought to stop Congress from counting Electoral College votes on January 6 also intended to take lawmakers hostage.

But according to the new filing, Munchel and his mother took the handcuffs from within the Capitol building — apparently to ensure the Capitol Police couldn't use them on the insurrectionists — rather than bring them in when they initially breached the building.

"At one point, MUNCHEL spots plastic handcuffs on a table inside a hallway in the Capitol. MUNCHEL exclaims, 'zipties. I need to get me some of them motherf---ers," and grabs several white plastic handcuffs from on top of a cabinet," the filing says, adding: "As MUNCHEL and [his mother, Lisa Eisenhart,] are attempting to leave, Eisenhart says words to the effect of, 'Don't carry the zip ties, just get 'em out of their hand.'"

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

couping the united states government with my mom

all equipment strict OSP

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
I’m glad to know that our elected officials were terrified by a bunch of fat guys wearing animal pelts

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

lmao the evidence is overwhelming...they were all plotting a coup!

quote:

Much of the evidence included in the filing was taken from videos recorded by Munchel himself: He kept an iPhone mounted to his chest that recorded him at then-President Donald Trump's "Stop the Steal" rally, and showed him later invading the Capitol building, prosecutors say.
Video footage reviewed by prosecutors also suggests Munchel and his mother carried weapons while in Washington, DC — despite the district's strict gun laws — and abandoned them only before they got into the building.

"We're going straight to federal prison if we go in there with weapons," Eisenhart told Munchel before they entered the Capitol building, according to prosecutors.

In a filing seeking the detention of "QAnon Shaman" Jacob Chansley, for example, prosecutors said he planned to "capture and assassinate elected officials" before walking back on that claim.

"We can put 'em in the backpacks," Eisenhart then said, before stashing "tactical bags" outside the building, according to prosecutors.

Overall, the Department of Justice has given mixed messages about the rioters' plans.

kicks forts
Feb 19, 2006

cheers
I support the Acadia succ

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

oh if anyone was wondering why republicans want to impeach cuomo

https://twitter.com/Techno_Fog/status/1360058741304000517

our very healthy democracy everyone

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
seems like cuomo is no-goodo

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

and in active impeachment news

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1360354839453138944

jake tapper is deciding who qualifies as a real jew now

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

adding pete buttigieg to the list of people relevant to impeachment chat

https://twitter.com/soulflickering/status/1360298277871235075

imagine anyone being inspired by a speech like this

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/StevenJDuffield/status/1360370202429554692

impeachments now impeachments tomorrow impeachments forever

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Impeach all former American presidents for war crimes.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

comedyblissoption posted:

couping the united states government with my mom

all equipment strict OSP

mom says its my turn to coup the government

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
millions of impeaches
impeaches for me

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

*piucks a piece of poo poo up off the ground, crumbles it between two fingers, sniffs it, dabs it on my tongue* it smells like succ, and it tastes like succ, let's keep an eye out for this one boys i think we might have found more succ in the widl

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

really queer Christmas posted:

mom says its my turn to coup the government

wait your turn dear you can have all the impeachments you want after the next election

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/HerreraBeutler/status/1360419828721401856

im not sure a statement claiming that the president responded to news of the insurrection by saying that antifa did it is very convincing proof that he was personally directing the coup attempt

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

and in active impeachment news

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1360354839453138944

jake tapper is deciding who qualifies as a real jew now

is there any political commentator more prone to letting their own insane worldviews slip than the Jew Identifier

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/1360293497279029253

brb gonna add calling for other elected officials to be impeached to the list of crimes elected officials can be impeached for

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

ok so i finally figured out the legal rationale by which trump can lose the right to run for reelection by simple majority vote and i doubt im the only person whos had trouble with this so im going to explain it

https://twitter.com/AshaRangappa_/status/1360346123060322304

Article 1 Section 3 of The Constitution posted:

The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments. When sitting for that Purpose, they shall be on Oath or Affirmation. When the President of the United States is tried, the Chief Justice shall preside: And no Person shall be convicted without the Concurrence of two-thirds of the Members present. Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States; but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law.

so basically even though the constitution makes it clear that you need a two thirds majority vote to convict the sentence fragment immediately preceding disqualification to hold office does not mention conviction it just says removal from office therefore since trump has already been removed from office the senate doesnt actually need to convict him to levy additional penalties they can just do it with a majority vote

if this sounds idiotic thats because it is such an interpretation would actually mean its more advantageous to impeach a person whos already left office than one who is currently in office despite removal from office being the actual goal of impeachment

so for the sake of example impeaching ted cruz right now would be pointless since penalties would require a two thirds majority but if he stopped being a senator for any reason whether its retiring losing an election or winning a different election then there would be a stronger reason to impeach him because he would now be subject to the lower threshold for being disqualified to hold office

the funniest part of this is that anytime legal liberal twitter isnt defending this as being the completely intuitive interpretation of the clause that the founders clearly intended theyre attacking republicans for just making a mockery of the entire process while simultaneously claiming this

https://twitter.com/AshaRangappa_/status/1360392749669896194

the only way this cognitive dissonance makes the slightest amount of sense is if you assume that trump is now such a widely hated figure that disingenuous republicans will never hold any power in congress ever again which complete ignores the fact that if this were even close to true not only would they easily have the two thirds majority necessary for doing impeachment in a way that makes sense there wouldnt be any need to impeach trump at all because no one would vote for him again

oh yeah did i mention that theyre also taking the position that the senate decides what is or isnt constitutional and that the supreme court can gently caress off because theyre doing that too

https://twitter.com/danielsgoldman/status/1360365318665822213

in summary i cant tell which outcome is more stupid impeachment turning into calvinball and destroying this country even harder than its already been destroyed or democrats going through all this trouble only to be told to gently caress off by the courts or democrats chickening out on going through with this and throwing their base of academically aligned liberals into a rage because they were just one weird trick away from destroying trump once and for all

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pretty incredible that the Democrats are coming out and admitting that they would lose 2024 if Trump ran again.

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

Taintrunner posted:

Pretty incredible that the Democrats are coming out and admitting that they would lose 2024 if Trump ran again.

lol if

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i see we're onto the applying banana republic constitutional logic to ourselves part of managed decline

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Taintrunner posted:

They are not gonna be politically meaningful past next year, let alone 2024.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/repraskin/status/1360764565060005889?s=21

arent you glad the democrats didnt win the senate now

think about how less bipartisan this vote would be if democrats had won those seats

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

another reminder that the democrats chickened out in part because the longer the trial went on the more likely it was they were going to get sued particularly as they wanted to call witnesses who might not want to testify greatly increasing the odds the supreme court would tell them to gently caress off with their sham of a trial

i cant imagine how anyone would enforce this but i really really doubt that the supreme court would cooperate with a definition of insurrection that doesnt even require someone be convicted of an actual crime

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

some imgur person posted:

This has be a rough couple of days for a lot of us. But the reality is we will get through this, we always do. I saw the below image and realized things have improved and they will improve more:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
theres nothing to discuss, idiot.