Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

I recently got into Huel as a result of my terrible, terrible diet and not wanting to choke down fifteen different vitamin suppliments to compensate for it.
I chose the bars, because I didn't feel like mixing powder with my weird-rear end tapwater, or buying their pre-made poo poo, but I also made the grave mistake of choosing the "salted caramel" flavour.
It's not terrible, but it tastes like peanut butter that isn't trying hard enough. The chocolate chips make it bearable, though.

Any of you have experience with this poo poo? As far as I can tell, it's quite literally just that "food in a cup" poo poo from Wall-E. Or in a bar, in my case.
Next time, I'm thinking of going with the safe bet of chocolate flavour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Are you eating nothing but Huel bars and doing the soylent lifestyle thing or is this just a supplement to eating normal food?

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

litany of gulps posted:

Are you eating nothing but Huel bars and doing the soylent lifestyle thing or is this just a supplement to eating normal food?

im pretty sure youre not meant to literally replace regular food with them, no
the bars are more of a snack thing that you just get all your vitamins n poo poo from, but, yeah, its meant for supplimenting eating normal food

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

hbag posted:

supplimenting eating normal food

You should be able to get all you need from "normal" food. Supplementing your diet with other things is only really necessary if you some special metabolic requirements or aren't eating normal food.

Why is your diet so terrible? What are you eating for regular meals?

Just eat some fruit or something if you want a snack.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Scientastic posted:

Why is your diet so terrible? What are you eating for regular meals?

im depressed

Scientastic posted:

Just eat some fruit or something if you want a snack.
i do
sometimes

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i mean they're like any other meal replacement bar. good in a pinch, or if you just don't feel like cooking breakfast. not really different from having, say, a smoothie, i guess.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth
I haven't tried their bars, but eat their smoothies and "just add hot water" instant food. I like them for times when I can't cook for whatever reason, and considering the other instant-food options on offer I like that they're vegan and significantly more nutritionally balanced and lower sodium than most of the competition. But yeah, ultimately it's nothing special and it's basically food in a cup. My personal rec would be that eating it as a habit might be nutritionally okay but soul-crushing in the long run.

Edit: their Thai green curry is pretty tasty though.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I had a go with the powder prior to working exclusively from home. When I was in the office I had poor eating habits at lunch - I'd either get something expensive and unhealthy or I'd do the 'right' thing and get something reasonably priced and not too unhealthy, but then not eat it. Sourcing lunch was a bit of an issue, so having Huel powder was a solution whereby I didn't have to think about it, I wasn't wasting money, and I wasn't eating excessively unhealthy things. The lunch box was ticked. I'd mix it pretty thick, with tap water and a little bit of semi-skimmed milk, then chug it down in one go.

It always left me feeling hungry afterwards.

Working from home and having a cooker available solved this problem.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Feb 22, 2021

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

i just bought some, but mostly it was because even though I work from home (for the time being), I'm too lazy and get up too last minute to do more than pour a bowl of cereal, and takes too long to eat food in between phone calls (easier to drink something than to have to quickly crunch down crunchy snack food once a call comes in, which is irritating)

I also HATE counting calories, and I'd rather hammer nails into my dick than try to estimate what I ate in terms of calories, this came up and seems like it'll do the trick. Breakfast/lunch calories taken care of, and then make dinner for "real" food, and those are provided by my meal plan subscription box which takes all the effort out of meal prep for me, which is ideal, which also provides estimated calories per serving.

Hopefully with this and regular exercise I'll lose some goddamn weight finally

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I like to eat normal food I think it is better than bars like that, if your concerned about nutrients can't you just take a once a day vitamin and like eat an orange so you don't get scurvy? Idk, seems like .ore of a question for the goon doctor if you ask me!!!!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Resurrecting this thread because I'm interested to hear long term feedback from anyone who's been consuming this regularly for awhile.

In my bachelor days I did the Soylent thing for a good year or so, typically as a breakfast replacement out of laziness. I never minded the taste and it was filling enough for the purpose, but it really hosed with my GI tract even after my body was "accustomed" to it and that ultimately made me feel like it wasn't very healthy.

But the concept is still appealing even though I eat better now than I did back then, so I'm curious if this stuff is an improvement.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

soylent loving sucks huel is way better

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I have since tried the bars.

9 months ago I decided to start eating better to lose weight and I got two boxes of the bars - coffee caramel flavour. I tried it, instantly absolutely hated it, forced myself to try it once more, then threw them all away because I couldn't convince my friends to take them for free. There was no semblance of either flavour, it was just mildly bitter and with a texture like compacted cardboard.

I've since been getting the MyProtein layered bars in easter egg and brown sugar bubble tea flavour - each of which is actually enjoyable and has way better macros for what I'm trying to achieve.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I have since tried the bars.

9 months ago I decided to start eating better to lose weight and I got two boxes of the bars - coffee caramel flavour. I tried it, instantly absolutely hated it, forced myself to try it once more, then threw them all away because I couldn't convince my friends to take them for free. There was no semblance of either flavour, it was just mildly bitter and with a texture like compacted cardboard.

I've since been getting the MyProtein layered bars in easter egg and brown sugar bubble tea flavour - each of which is actually enjoyable and has way better macros for what I'm trying to achieve.

the only flavor of the huel bars that tastes good is the chocolate ones, and even then its a bit of an acquired taste

i like em though

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

hbag posted:

soylent loving sucks huel is way better
so I got some of this Huel powder (one bag of the "regular" and one bag of the "super protien" variety). I had it for breakfast this morning and it already feels like Soylent did re: GI unpleasantries. I've had one serving of this stuff 5 hours ago and still feeling it.

If this continues to make me fart a lot and poo poo liquid, the Huel experiment will come to an even quicker end than the Soylent one did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

bawfuls posted:

so I got some of this Huel powder (one bag of the "regular" and one bag of the "super protien" variety). I had it for breakfast this morning and it already feels like Soylent did re: GI unpleasantries. I've had one serving of this stuff 5 hours ago and still feeling it.

If this continues to make me fart a lot and poo poo liquid, the Huel experiment will come to an even quicker end than the Soylent one did.

just get the bars lol ive never had the powder so i cant say how good it is