Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I have recently taken possesion of a garage, it's a single car garage with two swinging doors. It's approximately 17 m² large.

Since everyone here agreed that I should turn it into a fancy motorcycle garage/shop, I would appreciate suggestions on things to put in there. Are there some specialty tools you can recommend? Or other useful items?

I'd love to hear your ideas!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Motorcycles.

Are you going to be doing this recreationally or professionally?

Are you going to be keeping a car or any other vehicles in there?

I ask because if it were me I'd look at getting a lift table so that you can stand and work on stuff at a reasonable height (or roll around on a seat or something).

Definitely get a parts cleaner/ washer, there seems to be a lot of stuff on (older) bikes that gets caked in grime.

Captain McAllister fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 14, 2021

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

One of those rolling stools.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Surround sound.
And a TV you can YouTube fix videos on. And a bunch of motorcycles.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Definitely a lift so you aren't working on the ground. A heater of some sort, as well as a swamp cooler for summer. IDK you probably need to sprinkle some old engine oil around on the ground to make it official.

edit: Oh yeah and it needs a dog.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SEKCobra posted:

I have recently taken possesion of a garage, it's a single car garage with two swinging doors. It's approximately 17 m² large.

Since everyone here agreed that I should turn it into a fancy motorcycle garage/shop, I would appreciate suggestions on things to put in there. Are there some specialty tools you can recommend? Or other useful items?

I'd love to hear your ideas!

A lift, compressor, press, parts washer, half the garage for shelving, another garage next to it for bike storage.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Captain McAllister posted:

Motorcycles.

Are you going to be doing this recreationally or professionally?

Are you going to be keeping a car or any other vehicles in there?

I ask because if it were me I'd look at getting a lift table so that you can stand and work on stuff at a reasonable height (or roll around on a seat or something).

Definitely get a parts cleaner/ washer, there seems to be a lot of stuff on (older) bikes that gets caked in grime.

Just recreational. Car is not going in or there would be no space left for anything but the vehicles.

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

One of those rolling stools.

Already is in there

Revvik posted:

Surround sound.
And a TV you can YouTube fix videos on. And a bunch of motorcycles.

Actually trying to evaluate the humidity in there right now, as it was quite high when I first got it and I am investigating if I have to intervene for it to not become a problem. So household electronics are something to consider later.

Coydog posted:

Definitely a lift so you aren't working on the ground. A heater of some sort, as well as a swamp cooler for summer. IDK you probably need to sprinkle some old engine oil around on the ground to make it official.

edit: Oh yeah and it needs a dog.

Got an electric heater on order to see how well it works, my options are probably just that or a gas furnace. This will also be heavily influenced by the humidity question.
Dog would be nice, but I'd probably have to spend more time maintaining the dog.

Slavvy posted:

A lift, compressor, press, parts washer, half the garage for shelving, another garage next to it for bike storage.

Are those part washers self contained? As in, can I run those without a water supply? Because that would be neat, I do have a drain. Unfortunately, another garage isn't an option.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

The entire snapon catalogue but dont let ANYONE touch it. Not even yourself.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

The entire snapon catalogue but dont let ANYONE touch it. Not even yourself.

Never ever use the good tools, you might need them someday!

For reference on heating, I have a 400 square foot garage, walls are insulated at R13, ceiling is about R40, 2 8' doors uninsulated (need to fix this). I run a 5000w electric and it will heat the garage up to 65F in 10 minutes, but it will click on every few minutes to maintain temp. This is when the ambient is around 30F. I have too much heat going out the door, make sure you have good garage doors and seals.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

make sure you have this sticker / patch so folks know you're official :D

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Gorson posted:

Never ever use the good tools, you might need them someday!

For reference on heating, I have a 400 square foot garage, walls are insulated at R13, ceiling is about R40, 2 8' doors uninsulated (need to fix this). I run a 5000w electric and it will heat the garage up to 65F in 10 minutes, but it will click on every few minutes to maintain temp. This is when the ambient is around 30F. I have too much heat going out the door, make sure you have good garage doors and seals.

I have no insulation except for ceiling, it's an old apartment building garage. I am considering adding insulation, but it's my least favorite option so far.

right arm posted:

make sure you have this sticker / patch so folks know you're official :D

I ron't think I can convince myself of that and no one else would see it.
But I did order a nice Honda flag because the logo id kinda cool and I am a fan of my bike at least.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-steel-motorcycle-lift-68892.html

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

lift

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SEKCobra posted:

Are those part washers self contained? As in, can I run those without a water supply? Because that would be neat, I do have a drain. Unfortunately, another garage isn't an option.

The manual kind I'm used to are self contained yeah. It's like a school desk half filled with solvent, with just a little pump in the corner and a flexible nozzle it pisses out of. You just need electricity and like 40L of parts wash solvent; the stuff itself stays good for like six months of full time use so you'll never use it up.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Slavvy posted:

The manual kind I'm used to are self contained yeah. It's like a school desk half filled with solvent, with just a little pump in the corner and a flexible nozzle it pisses out of. You just need electricity and like 40L of parts wash solvent; the stuff itself stays good for like six months of full time use so you'll never use it up.

Huh, thats quite interesting, it's just weird that I have never heard of this before.
What would I use this for? Engine maintenance? Or are there more 'basic' tasks that this is useful for?
Just can't think of any parts I'd tear down and need to extensively wash right now.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

One day you'll have to do an oil change or something that involves cleaning a separate piece, like the oil filter cover on cartridge filter or something. So you buy a can of brake cleaner for twenty bucks. Do this five times and you've spent $100 on spray cans, which are both inefficient unto themselves and super inefficient financially.

If you have a parts washer and you decide to do your own fork seals for example, you strip the forks and dump them in the parts washer, give them a scrub and everything comes out surgically shiny. Doing the same thing with spray cans results in fork oil everywhere, not very clean forks and a lighter wallet.

It just makes sense if you ever plan on working on more than one bike or doing anything remotely serious on your bike, it's a huge labor/time/mess reducer and you can make things look like brand new. Super handy for carbs too.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

what's the hydraulic press for, bearings? this is me being vulnerable and brave

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

GriszledMelkaba posted:

what's the hydraulic press for, bearings? this is me being vulnerable and brave

This is a safe space for your babby questions. Yes it’s for bearings.

I kid. About the babby part at least

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I'm moving into a house that has an electrified garage this next week so I'm furiously taking notes in this thread crosseyed and open mouthed

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Slavvy posted:

One day you'll have to do an oil change or something that involves cleaning a separate piece, like the oil filter cover on cartridge filter or something. So you buy a can of brake cleaner for twenty bucks. Do this five times and you've spent $100 on spray cans, which are both inefficient unto themselves and super inefficient financially.

If you have a parts washer and you decide to do your own fork seals for example, you strip the forks and dump them in the parts washer, give them a scrub and everything comes out surgically shiny. Doing the same thing with spray cans results in fork oil everywhere, not very clean forks and a lighter wallet.

It just makes sense if you ever plan on working on more than one bike or doing anything remotely serious on your bike, it's a huge labor/time/mess reducer and you can make things look like brand new. Super handy for carbs too.

A very compeling argument, I found a german dealer with a 13l model for 60€, so I'll put that down as an investment for as soon as I'd be cleaning a part the first time.

GriszledMelkaba posted:

I'm moving into a house that has an electrified garage this next week so I'm furiously taking notes in this thread crosseyed and open mouthed

Feel free to hijack and ask your own questions and chime in, I would not mind this being 'babbies first hobby garage'

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Please consider tiling the floor in an excite bike pattern.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

some 15+ year old calendars with bikini girls on them

an old dirty glass pipe

a bunch of paint cans with a pint left in them

a nasty denim shirt on a nail

a pushbroom

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Superbike posters from the nineties, GP posters from the rossi era, a shitload of outdated banners for pirelli, fmf, ngk etc.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Watch the movie Worlds Fastest Indian and recreate the shed of sheds

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

The goal would be the Allen Millyard shed and the knowhow to improv your way through anything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48UL3i6SHJQ

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Allen has a career as being an aircraft engineer. He spent his life doing this poo poo for real, and the bikes are him doing it for funsies on his time off.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

He is one of the only engineers I'd let anywhere near a bike, especially aircraft guys. They tend to have the most big ideas about how things Should Be Done, they're a loving plague.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

some 15+ year old calendars with bikini girls on them

an old dirty glass pipe

a bunch of paint cans with a pint left in them

a nasty denim shirt on a nail

a pushbroom

Hose offcuts squirreled away under the racking

three different sizes of stepladder that are never where you left them the last time you touched it

garbage bin full of dustbane

oil soaking pads (this is a legitimate suggestion)

pair of tweezers for dealing with the metal shavings invariably picked up by the soaker rags

interesting signs from 3-4 jobs ago. bonus points if you cut the sign up ransom-note style and rearrange it into rude words on your toolbox

Phy fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 17, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Serious suggestion: one of those wall racks with like a hundred little plastic trays you can remove, for the thousands of miscellaneous screws, nuts and washers, carb parts etc you'll inevitably accumulate.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Phy posted:

Hose offcuts squirreled away under the racking

three different sizes of stepladder that are never where you left them the last time you touched it

garbage bin full of dustbane

oil soaking pads (this is a legitimate suggestion)

pair of tweezers for dealing with the metal shavings invariably picked up by the soaker rags

interesting signs from 3-4 jobs ago. bonus points if you cut the sign up ransom-note style and rearrange it into rude words on your toolbox

Oooh and three pie pans with used oil eater or kitty litter

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
A good work light and a cheap headtorch

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I think I'll put a couch in there just because.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
How about a urinal.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I think that's what the parts cleaner is for

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's usually varsol in the parts washer, right? The SDS doesn't seem to contraindicate pee, worst that'll happen is you'll dilute your varsol a bit and your bike might smell like a drunk pissed on it

Depending on where you live, it might already smell like that

(Please do not piss in the parts washer, goons)

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Does anyone have any recommendations for some kind of drawer storage that isn't a complete piece of poo poo, but also not just "buy a toolbox?"

I've had these for storage forever, but they suck and don't hold up very well:

Ideally there would be plastic ones that are built a little tougher and with proper rails, but that doesn't seem to exist. I'm just renting my current place so I don't want to drop tons of money on a permanent solution right now. I've been thinking of using what I have in my closet, the Container Store's Elfa line of mesh drawers:

Which is still a little pricey, but unless someone has a better idea I may just get some more of those.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

Which is still a little pricey, but unless someone has a better idea I may just get some more of those.

Two of these side by side is my parts department.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Dunno how well this works in the US, but I have settled for just buying euroboxes, they are great and will always be available.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'm trying to find something with drawers because I hate moving things around to open them up, although I have a number of boxes that are pretty similar the those.

Slavvy posted:

Two of these side by side is my parts department.

They're cheaper than Milwaukee packout system so I guess container store it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
This thread reminded me that I needed to start digging the foundations for my workshop. Digging is hard.