Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Hang on, that doesn't look right. Let me try that again.

There, that's better.

Now, almost ten years back, I did a Let's Play of Blackstar: Agent of Justice, a mediocre 1995 point 'n click adventure game by Worwyk Software, aka one Thomas Vitacco of the heavy metal band Worwyk. This game put you in the shoes of Blackstar, angst-choked vigilante and purple coat enjoyer, as he attempts to solve the fate of his parents and broods about what a badass he is. Since I wasn't able to get the sound to work then, I made a screenshot LP out of it.

Recently, I managed to get the music working, and I got the idea to redo the LP in video format. The game didn't have voice acting or sound effects, so I got a little carried away and added those in myself. Also, despite the game's creator being a musician, the midi music turned out to be kind of a disappointment and very repetitive, so I borrowed a bunch of music from some of my favorite 90s PC games to liven it up.

Episode 1

EPISODE LIST

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Blackstar is so loving flippant and edgy about everything, you made the proper voice choice.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
Oh my god, every line out of Blackstar's mouth is so over-dramatic, I love it. Didn't read your first LP of this so it's all new to me. I really want a purple coat now.

Just like all your LPs the amount of work you put in is inspiring. The voices are great.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
I'm still amazed that with as big a deal as Blackstar makes about his mother, he just hands off the bracelet she gave him to a random hooker outside in exchange for basically nothing.

I know, bad game, I shouldn't be amazed by anything, but still.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

The over-the-top edginess is wonderful. And then he goes and just hands his mother's bracelet to the first hooker he sees on the street.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Episode 2

In episode 2, Blackstar visits his old friend Dark Wolf, has an altercation in the subway, and goes to see his good friend and neighbor Jisel (Pros.).

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

I remember reading your LP way back when, and even further back I remember playing the shareware episode of this game! Good to see this weird game still haunting you like a ghost from the 90s

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

*Gives flowers*
:mitt: Now this room contains two of the most beautiful of nature's creations:spergin:

Joey Blackstar, modern Casanova.

sockgarters
Dec 29, 2013

This game, augmented with your great voicework, is just what the world needs right now. Thanks Mr. Spackage!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Episode 3

In the last part of shareware episode, Blackstar hooks up with police chief Cam and his hustler friend Prey to finally get at the piece of evidence Cam has been trying to show him this whole time.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 25, 2021

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I'm pretty sure Cam's wife left him over his "fashion" choices.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
Is Mike made of clouds???

Episode 1 is shorter than I thought. Is episode 2 any longer?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

coleman francis posted:

Is Mike made of clouds???

Episode 1 is shorter than I thought. Is episode 2 any longer?

A bit, mostly by virtue of more conversations!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
We move into the Sacrificial Life, the second episode, which has the occasional :nws: material! It's mostly really poorly drawn and thickly pixelated sprites of nude women, or clearly photos scanned in with 90s scanner technology. People would have to really be leaning over your shoulder to be able to discern a nipple, but still, exercise caution if viewing this content at church or your child's birthday.

Episode 4

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

:newlol: that intro reminded me of Monty Python's clip art animations.

And Blackstar keeps insulting every single sex worker he runs into, I guess that's what just some guys have instead of a personality.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
The voice acting is superb!

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
If Blackstar ever gets a re-release on GOG or whatever I hope they look you up.

Maybe Blackstar keeps joints in his plant because that's what he thinks a "Pot Plant" is.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Blackstar is so edgy it's adorable. Except when he's being an rear end in a top hat to the hookers.

Superb work on the sounds, especially the voices.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Thanks guys, glad you're enjoying the voicework. I was prepared for people to find the lo-fi filter annoying, but as soon as I heard it, it reminded me of Jagged Alliance, and I had to use it.

I considered initially pretending I'd found a version of the game with voices all done by the creator, but I figured it wouldn't be too convincing, I'm not too good at making my voice sound very different (hence accents, again a Jagged Alliance staple).

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Gotta chime in that I love the voicework. Blackstar in particular is sublime.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Odd, can't seem to reach SA on my laptop, only on my phone. Anyway, more :nws: pixeltiddies because we're starting this one inside the strip joint.

Episode 5

edit: the audio on the reel-to-reel tape turned out too low, sorry. It sounds like I only had boosted volume on the first line.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 27, 2021

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
holy poo poo, you had me at

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
If this game actually had voice acting, the computer store clerk voice would have absolutely sounded like that. So stereotypical.

Them titties are in a higher res than duke 3d. Glad I never heard of this game as a kid, i would've become obsessed with finding it.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

coleman francis posted:

Them titties are in a higher res than duke 3d. Glad I never heard of this game as a kid, i would've become obsessed with finding it.

Yeah, I happened on the first episode on one of those randomly collected demo CDs when I was a kid, and while I didn't get very far, I was like "whoa he said whore, this is really adult".

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Blackstar meets his nemesis. More :nws: material in this one, so hold a hand over your phone if you're watching this in church.

Episode 6

One more episode left for Blackstar to initiate his ultimate revenge!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

davidspackage posted:

Blackstar meets his nemesis. More :nws: material in this one, so hold a hand over your phone if you're watching this in church.

Episode 6

Billy Mitchell?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Oh you stupid motherfucker Joey! An eyeless culturally blind monk could have seen this coming.

I hope Robyn is safe, relatable trans folk don't have a good survival track record in today's media much less edgy 90's crap.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Hi there, murderous cult leader! I'm just gonna walk unarmed into your home where you are surrounded by your cult and tell you I know everything about the murders you're capable of! okay bye see you later

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

davidspackage posted:

Episode 6

:ughh:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

If Robyn's lucky, she's just going to disappear from the game rather than feature as a corpse too. Blackstar may conclude she died for whatever reason, but that's probably for the best given how he threw Jisel under the bus.

Blackstar, what kind of evidence are you going to be trying to gather about Jisel's murder that'll be more conclusive for you to go vigilante on that guy than the tape and disk with your mother's murder on it???

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Well for one he destroyed the tape and the disk

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Space Kablooey posted:

Well for one he destroyed the tape and the disk

But he's not the cops! He doesn't need hard evidence to book the guy! He could have just killed him when they first met!

...not to mention he's not smart enough to get things he does cleared with Cam first. I refuse to believe he's suddenly going to want things by the book for getting revenge for his mother when he's been perfectly fine breaking and entering even into his friend's (???) apartment let alone everywhere else, among everything else.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Blackstar, what kind of evidence are you going to be trying to gather about Jisel's murder that'll be more conclusive for you to go vigilante on that guy than the tape and disk with your mother's murder on it???

Trust me, you'll be exhausted and baffled by the answer to that question!

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
One last time, :nws: for vague photos of boobs. Our total hero enacts his incredibly brave and badass revenge.

Episode 7

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Well that sure was an ending.

What's next for you Mr. Package?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

The pin-up nipple is a button :allears:

Thanks for the LP and for the work on it. :)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

By popular demand posted:

Well that sure was an ending.

What's next for you Mr. Package?

Well, this was a nice nostalgic revisit of an old LP, I'm thinking of doing a regular LP again next. Might take a while before I start, especially since my laptop died last night.

I'll leave you with this cryptic hint:

https://twitter.com/davidspackage/status/1367206250459627521?s=19

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Davidscage, the thick scum that keeps accumulating on the shoes of the game industry.

I don't envy you Package.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Well your promise of :psyduck: and :ughh: combined came true. Vigilante murder with rabies, of all things, after grabbing his mom's necklace but leaving the frickin photo behind...

A David Cage production should be fun even if that video is terrifying.