Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
It's been a long time but I think it was the bronze bushing on my 92 5.7/nv3500.

My 03 decided it didn't want to start today, ran rough for a second and killed. It did this a week ago and when I had time to look at it the thing started rough and ran fine after a few seconds. Fuel pump cycles and there's pressure at the bleeder on top of the engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Oh interesting, good to know, thanks. I guess what I thought were teeth were the bearings in a needle bearing, I was just trying to tell based off of small photos on Rockauto.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Yeah, I thought of that after I replied to you. A small top-down photo I could totally understand how you could mistake that for "teeth" or something like a spline.

If rockauto gives you the dimensions, just measure your transmission input and recess at the back of the crank to be sure and buy whichever floats your boat.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

meatpimp posted:

Blower resistor looked old and slightly corroded, not a lot of grunge in the fins, but I sprayed it with contact cleaner just 'cause it was nearby.

I'll keep watching it.

Since this, I've warmed up the car in cold (sub-25*F) weather and there has been nothing but proper function and no smell.

:iiam:

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
I'm looking for a new bumper for my 2005 Avalanche 1500 (no cladding) and I found someone parting out a 2002 Silverado 1500. I've been trying to figure out if it's a drop-in fit. Anyone know?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Front or rear?

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
It's for the front.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I believe you'd need one from an 03-06 Silverado, if Rockauto's cross reference is to be believed.

Mr Fish
Nov 16, 2016

STR posted:

I believe you'd need one from an 03-06 Silverado, if Rockauto's cross reference is to be believed.

This, the bumpers are very different. Some stuff does transfer over from a pre to post facelift 800 but not as much as you might think.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
Thanks everyone. Too bad it wouldn't fit!

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Anyone know where I can get replacement windshield washer sprayers for 2006 silverado?

Every part I see is one of the "universal" sprayers that fit through the hood, or I can only get one by buying a complete wiper arm.

This truck has nozzles that are attached to the wiper arms. I managed to break the connector off of one of them during the deep freeze we had while trying to scrape ice off of it. It would be nice to be able to replace it without buying a whole new windshield wiper arm for ~$50

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Junkyard? Car-part?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Honestly I kind of hate those stock nozzles, I use the Freightliner Cascadia style nozzles on mine. Dorman 924-5225 or F88171801 at a Freightliner dealer (it's been superseded but they'll have the new number handy). You have to bend the wiper arm a little to get the spray pattern right but once you do the difference vs stock is amazing.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

And now I'm upgrading windshield washer sprayers. Sigh.

On the upgrade note -- I think I have dragged my feet enough for it to be a good thing. 2005 Escalade has had poo poo-tastic front brakes... small rotor, small caliper, long stopping distance. I have been planning to do the GMT900 caliper/bracket/rotor swap, but that seems to be a minor upgrade.

Now it seems like the best current option is going to 4 piston calipers and rotors from a 2019+ Silverado/Sierra/Whatever else. They bolt on with no additional bracket, and are a direct fit other than a .15" thick spacer.

Have any of you done this / investigated this?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Availability on calipers isn't great last I checked but that was a while back so there should be a bunch around by now. I'll be looking a bit more closely when my 900 fronts wear out but honestly those are a bigger improvement than they seem, I've never felt short on brake with them (plus the Escalade 2 pot rears on a pickup) and I don't recall ever fading them either (that's with the cheapest tier semi-met Centric pads/plain rotors, and no hydroboost). So I might even just slap pads in them again lol.

Do report back if you go ahead with them though, I'm eager to hear goon opinions on that brake in an 800.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Will do, it's a side project, but something that's got m interested.

First thing, though, is I have to pull the LF wheel and liner and find out why I dumped $3 of washer fluid all over the parking lot. :(

Any bets? Front pump? Rear pump? Reservoir? So many entertaining options!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

meatpimp posted:

Will do, it's a side project, but something that's got m interested.

First thing, though, is I have to pull the LF wheel and liner and find out why I dumped $3 of washer fluid all over the parking lot. :(

Any bets? Front pump? Rear pump? Reservoir? So many entertaining options!

Old hose either rotted or just got hard, and stiff and fell off. Typically the fluid will go right through the pump.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Yeah the nylon line likes to split right over the battery or up by the cowl, they're pretty cheap at the dealer iirc if that's what happened.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Turbo Fondant posted:

Yeah the nylon line likes to split right over the battery or up by the cowl, they're pretty cheap at the dealer iirc if that's what happened.

Alright, pulled back the fender liner and looked around. Lines look fine, connectors look fine, definitely leaking from the bottom of the reservoir area around the inner pump. Dry above, wet below. Any thoughts on whether it's the pump or the seal or something else?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Pop the pump out and look for cracks in the reservoir, but yeah it's probably pump time

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I don't remember where you are, but I once had a washer pump freeze on me, and split.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Still haven't looked at the washer fluid any more, but saw this on a youtube vid today:

https://www.fleeceperformance.com/gm-all-lights-on-module.html

Has anyone seen it or tried it? It's a module that lays right in the fuse panel and keeps your low beams and fog lights on when you put your brights on.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I'm thinking that $26 for a chunk of phenolic and 2 diodes is a bit much and I'm not super sure I'd trust that to contact reliably 100% of the time. It's probably fine though, and easily reversible if it isn't.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Can the headlight unit handle the low/high halogens on at the same time indefinitely? As in, could they overheat/discolor/melt?

Or does it matter as everyone that does this is going to also have a $40 Amazon LED kit that's going to blind everyone within 100 miles anyhow?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

slidebite posted:

Can the headlight unit handle the low/high halogens on at the same time indefinitely? As in, could they overheat/discolor/melt?

Or does it matter as everyone that does this is going to also have a $40 Amazon LED kit that's going to blind everyone within 100 miles anyhow?

I was wondering that myself. I'm not really interested in the mod, since I don't drive a lot at night anymore, but it's interesting to see something fairly new pop up for these old things.

On the LED front, I got a pair of cheap LED puddle lights. I hated the stock yellow incandescents... and when I pulled the old ones out of the mirror, I was surprised at how much of a kludge they actually were from the factory. The cheap LED replacement is much more compact, fits better, and is loads brighter than stock. Edit: $15 -- https://www.ebay.com/itm/225456828522

Here's mine with Sylvania Zevo DRLs. I love the Zevos, they are the first aftermarket replacement bulb where I've got more and better output than the originals.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 23, 2023

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

A lot of cars have separate bulbs for low and high,including my two Toyota products and both stay on when I put the high beams on. So probably not much worry unless you have some crazy over wattage bulbs .

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

meatpimp posted:

Still haven't looked at the washer fluid any more, but saw this on a youtube vid today:

https://www.fleeceperformance.com/gm-all-lights-on-module.html

Has anyone seen it or tried it? It's a module that lays right in the fuse panel and keeps your low beams and fog lights on when you put your brights on.

Aside from this being a bad idea from a safety standpoint and kind of illegal, it probably works fine.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

[nevermind]

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I was digging through some old Google Drive stuff and I found Service and repair manuals for 00-01, 02-03, 04-05, and 06. Also lq9 factory service manual pdfs. If anyone wants, let me know and I can email or post a Drive link. I don't think this is :filez:, right?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
They're probably not available through normal means, so hopefully ok.

I'd be interested in the LQ9 manual, at least.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Godholio posted:

I'd be interested in the LQ9 manual, at least.

As would I, actually. Drive link in a PM or whatever.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

I'd be into getting this too if it's still available

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yeah, seriously. I think there are a lot of us with manual libraries and that one isn't in mine.

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010

meatpimp posted:

I was digging through some old Google Drive stuff and I found Service and repair manuals for 00-01, 02-03, 04-05, and 06. Also lq9 factory service manual pdfs. If anyone wants, let me know and I can email or post a Drive link. I don't think this is :filez:, right?

Need this as well.

Also, if anyone is on the fence about resoldering thier ABS module, I did mine this weekend. I am lovely with a soldering iron but fixed mine in under an hour. Suburban is kind of a back up rig but I am slowly fixing crap on it and the brake lights have been on for at least 5 years. No more!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

EvellSnoats posted:

Need this as well.

But you don't have PMs.

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010
Sorry, 2000s me must have been one cheap bastard. Upgraded.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

EvellSnoats posted:

Sorry, 2000s me must have been one cheap bastard. Upgraded.

:homebrew:

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010
Thankye Pimp.

Yeah Shark I get my last kid outta grad school next year I might just buy something that doesn't require a 20 year old manual.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

EvellSnoats posted:

Thankye Pimp.

Yeah Shark I get my last kid outta grad school next year I might just buy something that doesn't require a 20 year old manual.

I've got a nearly 2 year old. I'm screwed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

EvellSnoats posted:

Need this as well.

Also, if anyone is on the fence about resoldering thier ABS module, I did mine this weekend. I am lovely with a soldering iron but fixed mine in under an hour. Suburban is kind of a back up rig but I am slowly fixing crap on it and the brake lights have been on for at least 5 years. No more!

Yeah it's a super easy job if the fuckin screws come out. I ended up snapping all but two of the fasteners on my old 800 and iirc I ended up pulling the valve block out entirely to drill em out because all the junkyard valve blocks I found were as bad or worse.
Also I didn't need to do any of that because my ABS issue was a comms wire rubbed through at the LF cab mount. Remember that starting off with a proper diag can sometimes save you hours of peril.