Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

meatpimp posted:

Another GMT800 checking in here -- '05 Escalade. I had a 4L65E scare 2 years ago, saw flaring during shifting of 2-3 and my transmission guy thought the 3-4 clutch pack was gone. Car had about 105k miles at the time. Transmission guy tried changing solenoids and that worked great. 2 years later it's still going.

I've got a number of things to do to it, just haven't had time. Most recent one is an electrical burning smell when the blower is on full... haven't looked to see if that's indicative of the blower motor or the resistor, but I figure I'll find out soon enough. :D

i dont know the GMT800 in particular, but in most cars the high speed bypasses the resistor entirely and just connects 12V to the motor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

lol at GM having updated anything they didn't have to since 1954.

thats an interesting cutoff year to have chosen, since the small block chevy V8 debuted in 1955.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I looked it up on Wikipedia and it said it started production in 1954, I guess started production in '54 for the '55 model year?

ah, yeah that's probably likely

it is pretty impressive that the first gen sbc lasted from 1955 until... 2003? in the vans? 1999 most places. other than the oil filter showing up in iirc '57 and the rod journal size changing in the late 60s (67?) and then the roller stuff in the 80s (cars) and 90s (trucks), they were pretty similar and shared parts through the whole run. i love that you could plunk late model speed parts onto a first-year motor and it would probably work

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

IOwnCalculus posted:

It was the last change made to the block and I think it only exists on the final versions of the Vortec like the L31. I'm pretty sure they're still making GBS threads out Goodwrench crate SBC castings that still have the fuel pump provision anyway.

What's crazier to me is the fact that the LS1 itself is now a 25-year-old engine.

yeah and even the L31 still has the mounting boss, it just doesnt have the pushrod hole drilled. you can drill it out and use it if you want (or get an 80s roller block and put all the L31 stuff on it and have the best of both worlds like i did)

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Mr-Spain posted:

I love this video about the original SBC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS8b4GMU8wU

thats pretty cool. i didnt know about the valve covers or the motor mounts. i wonder if all that changed in 57 with the addition of the oil filter, or if they trickled in separately

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
is there a configuration of the tbi 350 that mounts the starter to the bellhousing? ive only seen the block-mounted ones, but also i dont crawl under those very often

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

wallaka posted:

Good call, I replaced hundreds of these back in the early 2000s. The Dorman piece was better than OEM.

thread title lol