Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Well after a bit of searching looks like knock sensor issues probably, which requires removing the intake manifold ugh

I'll have to run the codes, hopefully that's not it

https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2012/05/audible-spark-knock-complaints-on-1998-02-gm-engines/

I did this job on my Escalade a couple years back - it honestly wasn't too bad from what I remember. I was going to mention the bit about building an RTV dam and removing the rear seal, but it looks like you found that already.

I'm sure you're planning on replacing them while you're in there (if you end up doing the job), but these engines are also known for lovely plastic intake manifold gaskets so make sure to get quality metal replacements and check the IM for warpage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Elmnt80 posted:

lovely ignition, lovely gas. If its not detected, then the knock sensors are probably fucko'd.

I'd rather do knock sensors than plugs if they haven't been done before. Those fuckin boots will be welded to the plugs.

I won't even think about doing plugs anymore without a set of these handy. It's like cheating.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Undiagnosed, but I took it for ~80 miles on the interstate today. There was heavy construction traffic and quick slow downs and I smelled brakes, but figured it was just because everyone was stopping very quickly.

Then I got to where I was going, a farm in the middle of nowhere, and smelled... brakes. Checked the wheels and the right rear was hot and smelly.

Same thing when I got home. So the squeak is still there and I have to at least pull the rr brake apart and lube it.

Mine is doing the same thing. Of course, it's been sitting forever because I got tired of shoveling premium into a 13MPG gas hog just to get my rear end to and from work, plus it needed some work done anyways. Both rear calipers are either not moving, or moving very little. They were working perfectly when I parked it up 5 (I think?) years ago. I had to move rather abruptly a couple years ago and decided to try to limp it to my new place. I found pretty quickly that the rears were close to seized up, but I powered through it and just tried to take it easy on the brakes instead. Slight lols were had when I pulled into a gas station along the way and asked to use their hose to cool them down and the steam generated when I hosed them off caused at least a couple people to poo poo bricks because it looked like it was straight up on fire. As for cause, I suspect it's the phenolic pistons swelling. The NHTSA did a giant nerdy study on it. Rather than gently caress with the old rusty probably seized garbage, I got a set of reman calipers ready to go in, just haven't gotten to it yet as I'm spending all of my car tinkering time on my project SVX at the moment.

meatpimp posted:

And the next time I drive it, the oil pressure gauge pegs at 80psi. Awesome.

Oil pressure sensor ordered.

Edit: Oil pressure sensor replaced. Man, they didn't make it easy to get to, I needed a ladder to reach.

Did the oil pressure sensor fix it? Mine also did this last time I drove it, but (in my case at least) it's a symptom of the stepper motors in the cluster starting to eat poo poo. Also a known problem on these. None of my other instruments have gone bad yet, but I feel like it's coming. I will probably have my cluster rebuilt, as it's cheap enough to have it done and not exactly something I want to screw around with too much.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
The parking brakes are the most laughably poo poo design - it's a one-piece shoe, held to the hub with the tiniest little trim screw you've ever seen. I did brakes all the way around right after I got the truck, and found that one of those little screws had rusted out, causing the shoe to flop around inside the rotor hat. When I tried to pull the rotor off, it dragged the loose shoe with it causing the shoe to get wedged in at an angle which in turn locked the rotor in place. I had to MacGuyver a ridiculous contraption involving 3 lug nuts, the rotor from the other side, an assortment of socket wrenches / other poo poo that fit in the rotor vents, and a ratchet strap lashing it all together. Basically used the other rotor / lugs as a puller to force the stuck rotor off. Looked dumb, but it worked at least.