Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Mine uses a litre every uh, however long the OCI reminder in the dash is. 330k km. doesn't leak a lot either. I've put 15w40 in it a couple times, it's a sbc it doesn't care as long as there's some kind of oil in there.
(running good synthetic 5w30 on double dash oci rn cause I hate changing oil)

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

oh poo poo heaviest? I bet you could do a 50 in a warm climate but 15w40 is nice cause it's fairly ubiquitous as diesel oil.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

e: ^I fuckin love my 900 brakes. They're worth finding another set of rims for.

monsterzero posted:

I'm really glad GM saved 20 seconds on the line by using those bullshit bakelite connects instead of just putting the hose onto the heater core. Hope it's a quick fix.

no the best part is (at least on earlier models) they use one black one, which lasts forever, and one white one which lasts uh not very long and they're fully interchangeable.
I just did mine this past winter, and my next project is more drop aND REPLACE ANOTHER GODDAM BROKEN GOVLOK
I think I'm gonna do a real LSD this time, I think an 800 would be fun with a helical no?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

nitrogen posted:

Any good writeup for diagnosing a p0455 (gross evap leak) on these trucks?

I have one and I've recently replaced the fuel evap canister and the gas cap and i'm still getting it. Not sure what else/how to check.

Vent valve, purge solenoid, filler neck and evap lines can all make a bad evap leak. The cheap version of the vent valve doesn't last as long but saves you 90% of the price (it's the one listed as common to like Malibus and stuff, it's just missing the long breather tube that keeps dust and crap out of the valve)

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Oh poo poo I wasn't really paying attention, a dropped parking shoe lines up with a speed dependant squeal and a hot rear brake. These parking brakes are awful (I deleted mine after replacing everything like 3 or 4 times)

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Not necessarily, some fuel system stuff got changed in the facelift and iirc some 03-06 stuff even got the returnless system of the 07-14.
I would check with the dealer tbh.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Oh also I let another one of these drat things follow me home...

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Mine just passed 333333km, I was pissed about missing it because I'd literally gone for a chill drive that I didn't have to be anywhere spceifically so I wouldn't, and then got distracted anyway and doot de doot de oh gently caress 333335. More or less the same thing has happened with every other mileage milestone I've hit on this stupid thing tho.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

meatpimp posted:

On this topic, what's a good modern code reader? All I have is generic old ones and I know there are a lot of the market now that can get into all the specific stepper actuations and stuff that formerly required a tec2. GMT800 necessary, multi-manufacturer would be great.

I've got an Autel AL629 that's alright, able to pull/clear codes off ABS and other modules on pmuch anything which is nice. For full Tech2/GDS style access I've got a VXDIAG VCX Nano is much better for not much more money but you need a laptop and the driver is kind of a PITA (always needs to login/phone home for firmware updates so if you forget your password you're locked out of the tool until you email VXDIAG).

I've more or less replaced both of those on my GM stuff with an MPVI2 which owns but lol if you're not tuning stuff it's absolutely not worth the $500 or whatever.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I should probably do a thread for this phase of GMT shenanigans cause there is a LOT of poo poo going down but :effort:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Knock sensor. It's plastic not ceramic but lol it's some of the most brittle plastic you'll see in one of those (and that's saying a lot!), be careful.

The starter is bolted to the engine but there's iirc a block plate or something you have to get at under the starter to split the bell flange? Idk I've never yanked a sbc with the starter in place but I can't remember why lol. Might even just be for the extra room, and even just for that reason it's probably a good idea.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Yeah they were very much a thing, my replacement mirrors have the elements but the truck lacks wiring for it :sigh:

I wish I had some time to throw down an effortpost on everything that went down with my 800s, I'm really really happy with the way it came out. Vette takeout LS2 cam (with tbss intake and longtubes, natch) in a 4.8 with an nv3500, an np246 and a torsen out back is a marvelous powertrain for the ice and snow.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 25, 2022

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Honestly I kind of hate those stock nozzles, I use the Freightliner Cascadia style nozzles on mine. Dorman 924-5225 or F88171801 at a Freightliner dealer (it's been superseded but they'll have the new number handy). You have to bend the wiper arm a little to get the spray pattern right but once you do the difference vs stock is amazing.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Availability on calipers isn't great last I checked but that was a while back so there should be a bunch around by now. I'll be looking a bit more closely when my 900 fronts wear out but honestly those are a bigger improvement than they seem, I've never felt short on brake with them (plus the Escalade 2 pot rears on a pickup) and I don't recall ever fading them either (that's with the cheapest tier semi-met Centric pads/plain rotors, and no hydroboost). So I might even just slap pads in them again lol.

Do report back if you go ahead with them though, I'm eager to hear goon opinions on that brake in an 800.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Yeah the nylon line likes to split right over the battery or up by the cowl, they're pretty cheap at the dealer iirc if that's what happened.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Pop the pump out and look for cracks in the reservoir, but yeah it's probably pump time

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I'm thinking that $26 for a chunk of phenolic and 2 diodes is a bit much and I'm not super sure I'd trust that to contact reliably 100% of the time. It's probably fine though, and easily reversible if it isn't.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

EvellSnoats posted:

Need this as well.

Also, if anyone is on the fence about resoldering thier ABS module, I did mine this weekend. I am lovely with a soldering iron but fixed mine in under an hour. Suburban is kind of a back up rig but I am slowly fixing crap on it and the brake lights have been on for at least 5 years. No more!

Yeah it's a super easy job if the fuckin screws come out. I ended up snapping all but two of the fasteners on my old 800 and iirc I ended up pulling the valve block out entirely to drill em out because all the junkyard valve blocks I found were as bad or worse.
Also I didn't need to do any of that because my ABS issue was a comms wire rubbed through at the LF cab mount. Remember that starting off with a proper diag can sometimes save you hours of peril.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Yeah they're always kind of a bastard to get off the core, I have had my best luck with a 90 degree pick folding each tab up individually with light pressure on the adapter. Bit like picking a lock.

And sometimes they don't cooperate and I get in with a grinder and mangle them. Cool that there's stainless ones now though!