Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Thank you for making a truck thread so I can post about my offroading minivan (2000 Toyota Sienna FWD). It's currently undergoing a suspension and engine mount replacement in my apartment complex parking lot because I couldn't find a suitable used vehicle (i.e. one that's cheap enough).

I almost talked myself into paying $12-15k for a 15 year old 200k mile 4runner. Which is insane, but that's what they're going for around here. And I liked the idea of tackling more rugged trails than I can in my fwd minivan. The minivan actually does surprisingly well offroad, possibly better than an unladen rwd pickup. But I have a list of GPS coords of places I tried to go, but failed. Steep + gravel/sand is the usual obstacle.

But those 4runner plans went to poo poo when I went to a Toyota dealer and tried lying down in the back. I am 6', and the 4runner is just a little too small. I could lie down diagonally or something, but that sucks. If I'm paying that kind of money for a camping/hunting vehicle, I need to be able to sleep in the back and enjoy it. My 1st gen Sienna has 7.5 ft of cargo space with the seats out, and it is amazing. It's a camping palace. There's no way in hell I'm going to spend $12k on a vehicle when I know I'll be lying in the back at night wishing I still had my Sienna.

I think a Toyota Sequoia might work, or something similar like a Suburban? They are all quite a bit bigger than the Sienna, though. I've definitely taken the minivan on trails where I had branches scraping both sides and the roof. On the other hand, 4WD would be amazing to have.

In the end I decided to try fixing my minivan myself, and I'm about $2000 into that project between parts and some new tools. Whether I'll succeed is still an open question, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU