Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

TBH, all those 80s and 90s piles of poo poo are becoming the fairlanes, galaxies, impalas and imperials of our parent's or grandparent's day.
Same as the irocs, transams and 5.0s from that era are becoming the same as the SSes and Cobra Jets etc....

I'll give the Northstar cars a pass. If you don't mind fixing their egregious problems once they last and last. Maybe the 3800 equipped Bonnevilles and the last Buick Rivieras, too. The Panthers are fine, if you don't mind a pickup truck of a car.

Everything else can go rot. Aggressively, rot. It boggles the mind seeing a nice 4100 or 4500 V8 Caddy. Like, why? Whhhyyyy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

therunningman posted:

I will check them out!

I have ordered the parts for the steering. Thankfully Rockauto ships to Canada for a decent price.
My assumption is to not go for the $17 pitman arm so I got the mid-price $70 Moog part instead. There was a choice between a 4 spline and 3 spline arm. Googling suggested 4 spline so that I got that.
Wish me luck.

I go with Moog for most suspension/steering parts. They aren't the best for all applications, but the warranty is good and they are always in spec. I've never had to burn out a Moog bushing, which is not something I can say for stock parts.

I'm just one person, mind, but I drive Dodge pickups that eat up front suspension parts like a MFer.

If you ever feel silly paying a lot for bushings, control arms, etc., remember that the stock parts are trash and last for 150,000 miles or so.

Good luck and may the Kroil be with you.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

slidebite posted:

So what is it with the design that causes them to consistently seize?

To alleviate a problem with the 2V V8/V10 heads (plug threads too shallow), the 3Vs use a two piece sparkplug which tends to break in half if you don't use a special tool to remove them, leaving a chunk of plug down in the head where you can't reach it without another special tool.

So. 2Vs shot plugs out, 3Vs won't give them up.

madeintaipei fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 21, 2023