Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
I for one never had a single issue with the 4L60 in my 1500, despite frequent towing.

This is because the body rusted away before the transmission had the chance to give out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
This might be a tiny bit out of this thread's wheelhouse, but does anyone here drive anything with an Eaton Fuller 8LL transmission? I have made the mistake at work of admitting to having some experience in the past with truck driving, but apparently failed to emphasize strongly enough that I'm not very good at it, nor do I really enjoy it. Unfortunately the same is true of everyone else, and I seem to have accidentally become our truck driver.

Anyway, they tell me the truck has eight speeds in two ranges, plus a low gear that you can split into two in the low range, which is consistent with the diagram in the cab. But I can also split every gear (1-4) in low range using the same splitter button, and no one can tell me if I'm supposed to do that, or even if I'm supposed to be able to do that. Maybe the transmission has been updated at some point in time? I guess the other question is which side should be the default within a gear. I have to be on the high side to shift into high range, so I'm assuming that the most direct route for power to take through the transmission is that way, and splitting a gear onto the low side is an additional reduction, probably to be avoided to minimize torque strain on the components? But I really have no idea.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

Motronic posted:

Many years ago I routinely drove an 8LL (fire truck....a tanker). Do you have the insane pattern or the regular one:

1 3
2 4

Is regular.

1 2
3 4

is the insane one. And I LIKE that one.

So here's the deal....don't touch the blue lever. You need to be really loaded and crawling up a hill to need the LL thing.

Depending on the truck you just go 1, 4, (pop the high range) 5, 8 when unloaded. This is why the "insane" pattern is great.

When you're loaded just go through the gears in order. Forget about the LL unless you're in a stupid spot that it gets you out of. But yeah, it makes everything low. If you need it I'd suggest getting through 2 or 3 gears and then STAYING in that gear, pop it out of LL and continue.

Yeah we have the regular pattern. Sounds like just because I *can* use the blue lever doesn't mean that I *should*, in general? Since it's a farm truck and sees a lot of field work I can't really get away with ignoring it entirely, but on the road it needs to stay on the high side then? I guess I don't understand the differences in transmissions between 8/10/13/18 speeds--at one point I briefly ran an 18 speed where you could split every gear in each range, and I remember a 13(I think?) where I could split high range gears, so what about the 8LL makes that not recommended if it will let me do it?

Also I seem to remember being told at one point in time that trying to use low gear in high range is a huge no-no, leading to destroying expensive parts in very short order--true?

Thanks.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
Super, thanks. I now may be arguably almost qualified to do my job.