Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I will be watching this thread with interest.

Last year I bought a GMT400 for camping purposes...a K2500 Suburban. Yes, it's TBI. No, I don't care. Now that I've replaced the fuel pump (the old one was pushing about 1/3 of spec) TBI will push enough fuel to support any stupid idea I have for the 454. I'm super glad I've got a 4L80E though...the internet is not kind to the 4L60E and I had my fill of transmission issues with Ford AXODEs.

I've always liked the looks of the early GMT800s...the Silverado got real ugly in 2003.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

My local pickapart is infested with them. I can't imagine you'd have any trouble finding one.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Black88GTA posted:

I won't even think about doing plugs anymore without a set of these handy. It's like cheating.

Ooooh. These will come in handy. One of my cars has RF interference shielding for the plug wires and the brackets for it are sharp as gently caress. I've got one of those generic boot-puller plier things and it's useless.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

My grille is broken at the same spot on one side, and cracked on the other. Not ideal. I'm not sure how they are for the 800s, but LMC's repros for the 400s are not accurate. The bowtie mount is goofy as hell...look closely before buying if you decide to go that route.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Replacing a knock sensor is a lot cheaper than buying a crate motor or replacing your pistons and getting the block machined.

Edit: IF that's even the problem. Seafoam is $7.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Dumping seafoam in the gas tank is a long-term or preventative thing. If you want to actually clean crud out, get the aerosol can (it's worth it) and spray it right down the throttle body after the engine's warmed up. You might have to modulate it to avoid stalling, but it's not difficult. Do this until the billowing clouds of horrible smoke stop.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Rings would be my guess.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Oh fun. On my 95 the "quick disconnect" on one of the aux heater hoses (just aft of where they split from the main lines in the engine bay) cracked on Sunday. My afternoon today is figuring out what parts are still available/will work.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Contrary to common sense, "Professional" is Delco's mid-tier quality line (now renamed Gold). OE is the best, then Gold/Professional, then Silver/Advantage.

I wouldn't have any issue using it (or Moog), but wanted to mention that.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

No advice on that, but if/when you get one and you plan on having to move it around by yourself, cutting some strips off a roll of velcro makes it a lot easier to manhandle something like that. Bungee cords will work but in my experience they don't last as long. I had three strips of velcro that I wrapped around the soft top of my Wrangler (one in the middle with all the fabric, one on each side of the frames to hold the different "arms" together) so poo poo didn't flop around and damage anything as I removed/installed/carried it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That's common advice, particularly in rusty parts of the country. I, shockingly, had zero trouble dropping the tank in my 95 to replace the pump. Every fastener for the tank and skid plate just zipped right out like they were new. Could not believe it. On the coasts? Forget that (or lifting the bed, which is the pickup version). Figure out a good way to plug the new hole in the bed.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

22 Eargesplitten posted:

So basically I'd want to check that and then look for the same thing on the front axle and compare them?

Front and rear axles should have the same ratio, unless someone is really trying to gently caress you over. If they were different you'd know pretty drat quickly if you put it in 4WD.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Mine is the first vehicle I've owned that I didn't try to find the limiter. Yet, at least. But I'm pretty sure the fuel gauge will hit E before I get there, regardless.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does anyone know where to find the gear ratios of the various transmissions and years? I've got a '92 with a 5 speed manual and no tachometer. I've never driven a V8 before so I don't know what different RPM sound like. I'm going to be towing soon so I expect I'll want to be in 4th for that but I want to calculate RPMs to make sure that I don't sit near redline. I swear for a generation that talks about "hur hur kids today can't drive stick" everyone that owns one of these chose the automatic.

E: I guess 4th is likely 1:1 at least so I can figure that one out. Would still be nice to know the others.

E2: Lol apparently I have been taking it easy on this engine, I shift around 2k. Probably ought to go a bit higher than that.

One of the factory service manual books might have it, I think that's where I found it for my 95. You can get pdfs of reasonable quality on GMT400 dot com. Strongly recommend grabbing them if you haven't already.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Advent Horizon posted:

As the drivetrain is usually the most reliable part of a GM product, they need you to wear it out so you’ll buy a replacement.

Since it's not a 4L60E I'm inclined to agree. He's probably not facing a surprise "Oops! All neutrals!" moment.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

GMT400 grilles from GM have gone from about $350 to 550 in the past year. It's a shame LMT's look like crap. Once you see the corners they cut, it's like the fedex arrow (for me at least).

Edit: The RPO breakdown is in one of the pdfs from the truck forums. That's what it was...my memory is not so great sometimes.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

What's even funnier is that in 91 with the Gen V big block, GM removed the provisions for the mechanical fuel pump. Then with the Gen VI, they brought it back.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm looking at a 2010 Sierra 1500 since my truck exploded and I'm tired of my vehicles breaking down. Did they all have displacement on demand in that timeframe? I know I can tell by the RPO code but I don't expect the owner to be able to find it and I'd rather avoid the ~hour drive to see it if it's got the lifter killer. It looks like the 5.3s did, but I can't tell about the 6.0.

E: This one is the 4.8 I guess from the seller's documentation, looks like those didn't have active fuel management, but there have been so many versions of every engine made I'm not positive.

You can get the engine from the 8th digit of the VIN. The 5.3 and 6.0 had AFM, the others didn't (according to forums).

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I'd try to cross reference on a junkyard website or rockauto, if nobody here has an answer (I certainly don't).

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The blower motor resistor is a notorious failure point on the 400s.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

meatpimp posted:

Still haven't looked at the washer fluid any more, but saw this on a youtube vid today:

https://www.fleeceperformance.com/gm-all-lights-on-module.html

Has anyone seen it or tried it? It's a module that lays right in the fuse panel and keeps your low beams and fog lights on when you put your brights on.

Aside from this being a bad idea from a safety standpoint and kind of illegal, it probably works fine.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

They're probably not available through normal means, so hopefully ok.

I'd be interested in the LQ9 manual, at least.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I enjoyed my JK as a jeep. I hated it as an only vehicle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

SpeedFreek posted:

I had the T fitting where it splits for the rear heater core go on the 99 burban, check out those hoses and fittings.

Same on my 95. I replaced all the plastic "quick connect" fittings and rubber hoses just to avoid ever having to deal with that again. It wasn't as bad as I expected, but still not something I want to repeat.