Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Keep throwing cheap parts at it for our entertainment.

RIP Paul Walker posted:

There are two types of people in the world: those who have been doused by a neverending downpour of automatic transmission fluid and those who have never done anything with an automatic transmission.

I’ve never done anything with an automatic transmission and I need to flush the A440F in my FJ62. gently caress me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Carbon buildup, maybe? Running a can of seafoam through the intake is cheap.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

monsterzero posted:

I think that looks pretty good. Maybe a hint of preignition (weld splatter on the ground tip?) I suspect the PO did these 15-30k ago, and I won't see any change from replacing the plugs. I did downgrade from Iridium to Double Plat, so maybe I can flip these to offset the expense.

People pay money for used spark plugs? :aaaaa:

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Anything in particular that cause these trucks to burn oil?

Being driven.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

My parents had an 87 or 88 GMC safari with a 4.3 that leaked all sorts of things from all sorts of places and we'd put 80w90 gear oil in the engine. I don't think the van cared much.

Gear lube is rated differently and, IIRC, 90W gear lube is close to 40W motor oil.

5W50 motor oil is pretty easy to come by. That’s what I run in my FJ62.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I, too, feel that way about Bud Light.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I have a speeding ticket that says a GMT400 Suburban can sustain that speed for quite a while.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

That shift light is probably optimized for no-load mpg optimization.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

STR posted:

Completely different car (but still GM), but my Saturn would often throw the upshift light as low as 1100 RPM. It also threw it a few times in reverse. :v:

I learned very quickly the purpose of that light was to make me lug the everliving poo poo out of that engine.

As the drivetrain is usually the most reliable part of a GM product, they need you to wear it out so you’ll buy a replacement.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

As someone who just did a mountain road trip with an even slower vehicle, my advice is simple: momentum is your friend. Build momentum every chance you get.

Also gently caress the loving FedEx trucks that always pulled out in front of me at the bottom of big hills, forcing me to brake and killing my momentum.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Toyota: still using 6x5.5”.
American domestic brands: “Hurr, durr, I made up my own bolt pattern because metric

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

Times are a changin' like back in the 80s and the ol GM four-hunnert platform was half imperial half metric. Sometimes on the same sub-assembly.

Sure, but the lug pattern can stay 5.5” because it’s not like the actual fasteners are SAE.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The radiator has a built-in transmission cooler that you can hook up but it isn't hooked up to the transmission. As far as I know that's only an automatic transmission thing but given that I sometimes tow with this thing it probably wouldn't be bad to have additional transmission cooling since it's having additional strain placed on it.

Most manuals do not. A lot of aftermarket radiators have the automatic connections since most people have autos and it’s easier to leave that disconnected than make a second radiator just for the diminishing manual market.

The auto coolers in a radiator are great for power steering, if you ever feel like you need more cooling in that system.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

That’s right about when crate engines became popular, it could have been a combination of that and marine long block orders. When enough customers want that provision it might be easier to just have one casting.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

The starter turns the flywheel, which is mounted to the engine but physically located inside the bellhousing (which will look like part of the transmission, and may actually be part of the transmission). That means you will need to pull the starter even though it’s not mounted directly to the engine.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

From experience, the scissor lift-style transmission jacks are entirely inadequate for a transmission + transfer case. They don’t handle unbalanced loads.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What would you recommend instead? Seems like I would need to disconnect the transmission from the transfer case? Or two jacks? Per the specs I looked up the NV3500 is about 110lb empty.

The ‘800-pound’ transmission jack at HF is fine. The reason you need a ‘better than the cheapest’ jack is because the transfer case front output prohibits the whole thing from sitting level on a small jack; decent jacks have both a wide stance and the ability to tilt. You will also need the tilt to get things lined up again upon reassembly.

Not a GM truck transmission/transfer case, but this gives you some idea of the problem:

That second picture shows the tilt needed for that particular setup to be secure. This is the Harbor Freight 800 pound model, which can often be found on sale for not-much-more than the cheap scissor lift.

Also buy a couple disposable ratchet straps to secure the whole thing. When you get it all in place just cut the strap. WAY better and more secure than chains.

But, honestly, if I were in your shoes I would pull the core support and take the engine/transmission/transfer case out as one assembly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I wish I was down there in person to get the $55 off that they currently have going for inside track members on that one but $55 would barely cover the gas driving 4 hours, let alone my time. Also I am reminded I need to cancel my Inside Track membership, I got it so I could get like $150-200 off a winch shortly before the truck exploded.

Tell your friend to use your phone number at the register. Inside Track is tied to your number and the cashier DGAF if the person paying matches the name on the phone number. My number gets used by half a dozen people.