Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Speed Engineering has a true-dual kit for these for not much more with an x-pipe. i'm going to pick up a cheaper elgin (bought the knockoff and it came hosed up so i sent it back), maybe do that, intake and tune. should be good for a solid 50. Have to be somewhat selective on the cams unless you change the converter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

ABS status on my 2001: still broken. rather buy speed parts for the other car. However I did have the rears lock up on me on me the other day in the rain so that may be changing soon.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Alright putting the steering shaft down for when I change out the PS pump. Still need to get the ABS module and whatnot but haven't had any crazy stops or anything, doesn't seem to be too huge a problem yet.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Raluek posted:

ah, yeah that's probably likely

it is pretty impressive that the first gen sbc lasted from 1955 until... 2003? in the vans? 1999 most places. other than the oil filter showing up in iirc '57 and the rod journal size changing in the late 60s (67?) and then the roller stuff in the 80s (cars) and 90s (trucks), they were pretty similar and shared parts through the whole run. i love that you could plunk late model speed parts onto a first-year motor and it would probably work

I love this video about the original SBC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS8b4GMU8wU

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Turbo Fondant posted:

Yeah it's a super easy job if the fuckin screws come out. I ended up snapping all but two of the fasteners on my old 800 and iirc I ended up pulling the valve block out entirely to drill em out because all the junkyard valve blocks I found were as bad or worse.
Also I didn't need to do any of that because my ABS issue was a comms wire rubbed through at the LF cab mount. Remember that starting off with a proper diag can sometimes save you hours of peril.

oh yea, even my rust free truck the screws were corroded and soft. I got lucky. the reflow didn't fix my issue so I had to get a replacement controller but all good now.

I really want to do a gmt800 gang tag lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Dorman stepping up the game: one of the coolant hose disconnects snapped at the firewall, so I got two of their stainless quick connects to replace it. Other than not being able to get one of the old quick connects off, install was fine and it's all good.