Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

nitrogen posted:

Today's dumb question:

I totally destroyed the plastic lining accidentally between the door panel and frame in an aborted attempt to fit univeral power locks into my truck. I couldn't figure out anyway to get them to fit between the panel and the door, without messing up the aftermarket window motors already installed.

How important is that plastic lining? (I'm guessing important, but still asking because I dunno what its for)

Can I replace it with sound deadening stuff like Noico instead?
Or does it have to be plastic?

https://www.amazon.com/Noico-deadening-Automotive-Insulation-dampening/dp/B00URUIKAK/

Also, please feel free to tell me i'm an idiot for not getting a truck without power locks in it already, or more helpfully, ideas on how to actually get the aftermarket crap to fit between teh door and the panel?

Any plastic sheeting will work. It's necessary to prevent water intrusion and condensation. You don't use butyl nose deadener like that, it's sticky and needs to be bonded to the body panels themselves to absorb noise and vibration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

therunningman posted:

Yeah it's weird. I get in the truck, press the brake pedal, then turn the ignition. It turns over and right as it starts there's a short, fast kick/jolt/thump in the brake pedal. It barely moves the pedal and it happens everytime.

I had assumed it was some kind of assist kicking in but I thought I'd throw it out there for a second opinion.

It's the hydroboost. Totally normal.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Sometimes the wiring harnesses fail, too.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I never did the one in my truck, it rattled so badly from other poo poo that it really wasn't worth it. However, if it was only 40 minutes, I should have done it. Congrats! Does yours piston slap wicked bad when it's cold?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
The harness that leads to the resistor also likes to melt and eventually burn out. So check that too. I changed both in my old Silverado.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Junkyard? Car-part?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

EvellSnoats posted:

Sorry, 2000s me must have been one cheap bastard. Upgraded.

:homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

EvellSnoats posted:

Thankye Pimp.

Yeah Shark I get my last kid outta grad school next year I might just buy something that doesn't require a 20 year old manual.

I've got a nearly 2 year old. I'm screwed.