Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Anything in particular that cause these trucks to burn oil? Does a quart a month sound excessive or normal :v:

Was thinking of going to a heavier oil weight to see if that helps. I don't think it's the valve seals (no smoke on start up) so maybe piston rings.

These things would consume a worrying amount of oil when new, apparently.

GM said something insane like "Less than a quart per 3k miles is fine" for warranty work when these were new. or at least that's what my mechanic told me.

I picked one of these up cheap as a toy. They are very easy to work on, which is nice, because i've worked on mine a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Today's dumb question:

I totally destroyed the plastic lining accidentally between the door panel and frame in an aborted attempt to fit univeral power locks into my truck. I couldn't figure out anyway to get them to fit between the panel and the door, without messing up the aftermarket window motors already installed.

How important is that plastic lining? (I'm guessing important, but still asking because I dunno what its for)

Can I replace it with sound deadening stuff like Noico instead?
Or does it have to be plastic?

https://www.amazon.com/Noico-deadening-Automotive-Insulation-dampening/dp/B00URUIKAK/

Also, please feel free to tell me i'm an idiot for not getting a truck without power locks in it already, or more helpfully, ideas on how to actually get the aftermarket crap to fit between teh door and the panel?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Any good writeup for diagnosing a p0455 (gross evap leak) on these trucks?

I have one and I've recently replaced the fuel evap canister and the gas cap and i'm still getting it. Not sure what else/how to check.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Turbo Fondant posted:

Vent valve, purge solenoid, filler neck and evap lines can all make a bad evap leak. The cheap version of the vent valve doesn't last as long but saves you 90% of the price (it's the one listed as common to like Malibus and stuff, it's just missing the long breather tube that keeps dust and crap out of the valve)

Wonderful. I half-assed the purge valve solenoid fix with heater hose and a cheap part, and i believe the filler neck and associated parts was already replaced.

I'll splurge for the full proper kit and see if that fixes it, otherwise i'll go for the filler neck replacement.
Wheeeeeeeee

Thanks.

EDIT: I managed to fix the problem merely by ordering the parts. Funny how that works.

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 20, 2021

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Another dumb question from me:

What's the normal operating temperature for these trucks?

Noticed mine hit 220 in the drive through and dropped to about 180 after leaving and heading home. It's colder out than normal (about 45° so is this normal or is my thermostat borked?

(Reading came from ODB2 /scangauge not dash gauge)

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

rdb posted:

Well, re read that. Maybe a fan clutch.

Electric fans, it's an 06.

When do the low speed fans come on for this model? (2006 Silverado 1500 w/ 5.3 L33 engine)
I just looked online and seen differing stats. One source says that the low speed fans come on at 202⁰, another that says they are supposed to come on at 220⁰.

The temperature gauge versus what is reported via odb2 are not consistent so going by what odb2 says I think it's probably not panictime. It is entirely possible I'm just being a huge nerd who worries too much.

I'd like to try tapping the relays to see if the fans are messed up later today or tomorrow.

I wonder if there's something I can monitor in the computer to see if the fans are commanded on or not...

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Generic OBD2 scantools might not be able to tell, but HPTuners and professional-level tools absolutely can.

Is there a good thread or resource on some of these upper-level odb2 tools? It would be nice to have something that I can do extended debugging on my cars with but so many of the professional level ones are lots of money and seem to want a subscription.

It'd be neat to read about them from position of someone who knows a lot more about them than I do currently.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

meatpimp posted:

On this topic, what's a good modern code reader? All I have is generic old ones and I know there are a lot of the market now that can get into all the specific stepper actuations and stuff that formerly required a tec2. GMT800 necessary, multi-manufacturer would be great.

I like the OBDLink MX+ OBD2.

I don't know if it gets into everything you're looking for, but it gets into the body control module, airbag, and all the other GM specific codes but it might not do all of the troubleshooting that you're looking for

It requires a app though which might not work for your use case.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

So I replace the resistor pack because only high-speed fan was working for climate control about 6 months ago. Now, high speed and almost high speed (4 and 5) stopped working where is one through three work perfectly.

Did my resistor pack go bad again or is something else busted?

Did I perhaps get a bad resistor pack when I replaced it last time? Or is my fan going out?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Supposedly changing the oil pressure switch in these is supposed to be easy but good God drat I scratched my loving hand up a treat and I'm not sure I got the oil sending unit screwed in all the way. Is there some magic way that I'm supposed to do this to make it easier?

What dumb poo poo did I miss?

I have the proper 1-1/16 deep well socket but it seemed nearly impossible to get a good angle on it with any wrench or set of extensions I had.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

meatpimp posted:

If you're meaning the oil pressure sensor, it's tough to reach (I needed a ladder), but it seemed reasonably easy to get to with a long extension and swivel, just needed to do some things by feel. I did, though, drop the old sender when I removed it, and never found it... I imagine it fell out somewhere, but :iiam:

Not only was it tough for me to reach, I could never get a proper angle on it with a ratchet and any of the extensions that I had. Either the extension was too short and I had to shove my hand way into that crevice or it was too long and it was blocking on the top of the engine bay.

I also had a hard time getting the socket onto the sending unit and getting it to stay there, it kept slipping away.

There's apparently a tool you can get, a friend of mine has one and I'm going to borrow it to see if it makes any difference.

And either I didn't screw the sending unit in all the way or it didn't fix the problem so I might have a bad oil pump which is going to really piss me off.

I'm going to throw an oil change at it just to see if that does any better but if the oil pump really is wasted, I might just sideline this truck and consider getting a crate engine for it

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

sharkytm posted:

Sometimes the wiring harnesses fail, too.

No matter how smart you think you are, broken poo poo can be smarter than you are.

So I replaced the resistor pack just because it was cheap. Same problem: fan speeds 1 through 4 worked great five didn't.

So I pulled the resistor pack out and got my voltmeter and found that one of the pinouts wasn't working, so I got a new switch, and the pinout started working again.

Plugged it all back in and position five stopped working.

Said gently caress it, got a new blower fan because maybe that's the issue. Tested it before plugging it all back in and it worked!

Hooked the blower fan back up and put it inside and installed it and position five stopped working.

The previous owner had replaced the resistor pack and hacked up the wiring so one of the wires is not making full contact so if you jiggle It position five works and stops working.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does anyone know where to find the gear ratios of the various transmissions and years?

Check the RPO codes in your glove box.

I replaced one airbag sensor a year and a half ago for 80 bucks.

Today?

Edit: oh, you meant all the available ones, not the ones installed in your vehicle I guess. Never mind.

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 24, 2022

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

On an 06 4wd how hard is it to drop the oil pan and replace the oil pickup tube / gasket?

How hard is it to drop the oil pan?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Anyone know where I can get replacement windshield washer sprayers for 2006 silverado?

Every part I see is one of the "universal" sprayers that fit through the hood, or I can only get one by buying a complete wiper arm.

This truck has nozzles that are attached to the wiper arms. I managed to break the connector off of one of them during the deep freeze we had while trying to scrape ice off of it. It would be nice to be able to replace it without buying a whole new windshield wiper arm for ~$50

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

[nevermind]

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

I'd be into getting this too if it's still available

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Mr-Spain posted:

I really want to do a gmt800 gang tag lol

DO IT. I'd change, even tho I rarely post anymore.

I had to replace my rearview mirror because it cracked. I upgraded to one of the Gentex mirrors that has a compass in it. I noticed that the instructions for calibrating it were old, and magnetic north has moved quite a bit.
I had to try and figure out what the original settings were, and guessed, and updated them.
If you have a bit of the OCD like I do, and noticed the compass was off, you can see if these instructions I wrote help you get better accuracy.

As I had to guess a lot, If anyone has better info i'm all ears to updating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Any recommendations for floor mats that fit in a tahoe with the bench seat? I'd love to get something that fits "over the hump".

Also, if there's anything y'all know about that fits in the first row, and covers up the carpet under the first row seats, that'd also be awesome. I have not found anything yet that does that.

Also, i'm selling my poverty-spec 2006 silverado. In decent shape considering it had the cab corners messed up. Most of the high mileage issues were fixed on it.
My thread in the AI marketplace is here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515402&pagenumber=35#post539175326