Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.

In a fit of terrible judgement I decided to spend money on a 2005 Chevy ~*Avalanche*~ with 250k km.

To do (at the moment):
-Front steering. Pitman arm and steering shaft.
-Exhaust is gone after the muffler.
-Fenders are rusted.
-Rockers are rusted.
-Cab corners are rusted.
-Oil leaking from somewhere.
-P0449 code. Something about an evap solenoid.
-"Rear Left Door Ajar"
-Something about with the charging system. Light came on but has since gone away.
-A/C compressor bearing.
-Blower motor resistor.
-Gas gauge failed, but came back.
-No head unit.

From reading the thread it seems like standard GM fare. Anything in particular someone not terribly car savvy should keep their eyes on?

My hope is to address the most pressing things first, like the lack of a stereo, and use this truck as a learning experience.

therunningman fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.

rifles posted:

Probably go ahead and replace all of the brake lines and the fuel pump.

I will check them out!

I have ordered the parts for the steering. Thankfully Rockauto ships to Canada for a decent price.
My assumption is to not go for the $17 pitman arm so I got the mid-price $70 Moog part instead. There was a choice between a 4 spline and 3 spline arm. Googling suggested 4 spline so that I got that.
Wish me luck.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.

madeintaipei posted:

I go with Moog for most suspension/steering parts. They aren't the best for all applications, but the warranty is good and they are always in spec. I've never had to burn out a Moog bushing, which is not something I can say for stock parts.

I'm just one person, mind, but I drive Dodge pickups that eat up front suspension parts like a MFer.

If you ever feel silly paying a lot for bushings, control arms, etc., remember that the stock parts are trash and last for 150,000 miles or so.

Good luck and may the Kroil be with you.

Well I suppose the front suspension will get some attention after the steering, and the brakes, and he fuel pump, and the tailgate etc. etc.

I've seen it suggested on YouTube to cut the floor to access the fuel pump. This seems sketchy but maybe it's the best approach?

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
I was not taught to be a car-toucher so everything is a learning experience.

I managed to install a new stereo in the Avalanche. That took me a good three weeks, including cutting and shaping the dash kit to fit the cheapest Amazon stereo, finding out my crimping sucks and redoing everything with my soldering iron but it works and i finally have sound!

I also replaced the blower motor resistor. I ordered a two-hole part but I need the four-hole. I ended up with mountable zipties on the screws rather than return a part I waited two weeks for already. Also redid the wiring harness for the resistor. Now I can control the fan!

Next up I am going to tackle front wheel bearings (with some help).

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
My previous truck was a 92 Ranger 4x4. I always bombed down rough forest service roads to access remote lakes and campsites and never worried.
When I take my Avalanche down the same roads now I feel like I need to baby it because of what a heavy cow it is. Is there anything to that or can I send it the same way you can a 90s Ranger?

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.

cursedshitbox posted:

load up a blunderbuss of front end parts and aim it squarely at the front end.

Throw money at shocks/springs/arms/joints/rod ends/knuckles. Mostly in that order.

So what you are is saying is that unless I have a large parts budget and time on my hands, then no.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
Ok, I'm probably going to start getting pieces if I see a good deal.

Unrelated, everytime I start the engine the brake pedal gives my foot a bump. Is that some kind of brake assist engaging, or something else?

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
Yeah it's weird. I get in the truck, press the brake pedal, then turn the ignition. It turns over and right as it starts there's a short, fast kick/jolt/thump in the brake pedal. It barely moves the pedal and it happens everytime.

I had assumed it was some kind of assist kicking in but I thought I'd throw it out there for a second opinion.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.

cursedshitbox posted:

Yeah that's just vacuum assist doing its thing.

bit of this. bit of some offroading parts will do ya. going fast in the dirt is never cheap.

I'm going to start with the shocks I think. I believe the truck has been levelled in the front, can I go with stock height shocks and is the "Heavy Duty" section of Rockauto the best place to look?

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.

StormDrain posted:

Do you have to hold the brake to start it or not? And if not, why do you do it?

I don't have to, it's a force of habit from when I was first taught to drive.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.

Loving the GMT800 life! Fortunately I also drive a Civic.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
Off to a good start. I spent an entire day changing the wheel hubs. I only put the splash guard on the wrong way twice on the same wheel.

Using a 1/2" nuts and bolts as ersatz pullers worked great.

From now on I will maintain both 6 and 12 point sockets in my box. I rounded off one of the caliper bolts but managed to crack it with a six point socket.

Overall great experience.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
I'm looking for a new bumper for my 2005 Avalanche 1500 (no cladding) and I found someone parting out a 2002 Silverado 1500. I've been trying to figure out if it's a drop-in fit. Anyone know?

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
It's for the front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
Thanks everyone. Too bad it wouldn't fit!