Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

What kind of vehicle are we talking about here? I'm presuming a full size older truck since you're talking about a big trailer?

What he probably meant RE the parking brake/drum is if the brake was engaged, you'd probably have fun getting the drum off since the shoes pushing against the drum is what your brake is*. But it might be sticking which is and whacking it might have disengaged it. You might want to clean up the star wheel adjuster, but I really haven't worked on drums in something like 25+ years. Sometimes hitting the brake in reverse seems to help as well, once again, depending on the vehicle.

*=Vehicle dependent. Some have vehicles have completely separate drums for the parking brake but I'm assuming that's not the case here.

e: Gah, just realized this is the truck thread, I thought it was the general chat thread

slidebite fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Took delivery of my company 23 Silverado LT double cab today. It replaces my 19 LD (previous gen).

First impressions:
Seats are more comfortable, actually interior in general is very nice. Seems to be good quality.

Crazy lack of small cubby type storage though. I used to have a storage spot center of dash (classic ashtray area), nothing there. No sunglass holder on the ceiling near lights. Only the center console and a pretty small glovebox. Unless I just can't find them?

Previous gen had a multitude of USB ports. Glove box, center console. All hidden. Now just a single A and C, both exposed right in the middle of the dash. So if you need to charge your phone or use a thumb drive for MP3s, it's sticking out.

Display seems to be really nice. The infotainment center in general seems ok, if clunky and convoluted. Might just be getting used to it. Oddly, I can't seem to fast forward MP3s at all, holding down the FF in the old gen skipped ahead 10 seconds, now it just skips to the next file.

Wireless android auto is a big bonus.

Mine was equipped with the turbo 2.7 with 8 spd. Coming from a 5.3 I expected to hate it. Keeping in mind I only have about 25kms on it, the power is ample and I really like the shifting (including downshifting) of the transmission.

I'm not usually a fan on the digital instrument cluster, but it seems OK.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Well that sucks, but okay. I'm usually a "read through the manual, visualize the process, read again, go try" type of guy when I have the opportunity to approach it that way. I think I've gotten everything disconnected, we'll see if there's anything else hiding on the back of the engine once I get it out. I feel like I had other beef with the FSM before this but I forget what it would have been.

I used to use Haynes manuals from the day. Might be able to find one specifically for the old 400s. They were typically "OK" - if not exhaustive.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Not sure what you mean by teeth, but pilot bearings are generally either a rolling element type needle bearing with the elements riding right on the input shaft OR a self-lubricated bushing (usually some sort of oil impregnated bronze-type alloy)

Either should work but I personally prefer bushings if given the choice. Reason being I've seen those bearings seize and totally fail (it's not really a sealed area or a type of bearing that lends itself to being sealed well) and the bearings elements are hardened . Bushings are not as hard as the input shaft of the transmission.

But, as long as they are the right physical size, in all reality probably doesn't make a huge difference in practice. Just make sure it fits nicely.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah, I thought of that after I replied to you. A small top-down photo I could totally understand how you could mistake that for "teeth" or something like a spline.

If rockauto gives you the dimensions, just measure your transmission input and recess at the back of the crank to be sure and buy whichever floats your boat.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Can the headlight unit handle the low/high halogens on at the same time indefinitely? As in, could they overheat/discolor/melt?

Or does it matter as everyone that does this is going to also have a $40 Amazon LED kit that's going to blind everyone within 100 miles anyhow?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

My company Silverado is in the shop getting a rear bumper and trailer hitch replaced due to an inattentive driver rear ending me.

I needed a rental and the only thing they had with a cargo bed wasn't a massive fleet spec wagon was a Gladiator.

I forgot how nice it was to drive a smallish truck again as opposed to the full sized. It just feels so god drat nimble. Feels very similar to my old 98 XJ in many ways.

But I swear, this thing has more rattles in it (38,000 KMS) than my 25 year old 996 with 3x the mileage.

The AC is marginal at best. Bizarrely, even when on full vent/max AC it's a roll of the dice of air is even going to come out of the vents at all. I have yet to figure out if I am doing something weird or if its just faulty.
Seats are quite uncomfortable. Had a 4 hour highway drive yesterday and it was not fun.

There is also minimal seat adjustment. I'm 5'11 and I have it completely, 100% fully rolled back. If I was 6'2" it would probably be uncomfortably tight.

Fuel economy is, uh, expected for what it is? Approx 20MPG @ 70MPH/110K with the V6. The full size Chev with the turbo 4 is absolutely more economical both around town and on the highway.

A poo poo ton of road noise even with the basic OEM all seasons. I can't imagine how loud it would be with anything resembling an aggressive tire tread at highway speed. The quick removable roof and aerodynamics are certainly not helping but there must be zero sound deadening in it anywhere.

BUT, on the positive side,

I *do* far prefer most of the infotainment system over the new gen silverado. It even remembers where it stops an MP3 file when you turn your vehicle off which drives me up the wall if you're listening to a 2 hour long podcast in the chev. Sometimes when you restart it's not even on the same track but if you shut your vehicle off for more than 3 minutes regardless of track it already starts over and you have to remember where you were and hunt for the time. It's such a simple oversight. but to offset it, the built in GPS/map blows.

The customization of controls is really nice and I like the ability to make choose between imperial and metric features. IE: Want celcius for your heating/cooling but MPG for your fuel economy? You can do that. GM? You make everything metric or imperial. I have a good handle on both units of measure but as a child of the 80s I find PSI and MPG me go-to units for pressure and fuel economy. You can also configure a lot of the simple poo poo when driving that GM forces you to stop to do.

The bed is actually a really good size for general utility and would probably fit the bill for 95% of what I would use it for.

The windshield is a rock magnet. When I got it the rental agency said to not worry about any cracks/chips because they already know they need to replace it. They said it's already had 4 new windshields in it since February and needs another quite badly.

Would I buy one? Probably not much of a chance but to be fair its it is better than I expected in many ways... but in most other FCA build quality shines through and is still exactly as expected. If they could make them more comfortable and better fuel economy, I might consider a used one if the price was right.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So I am toying with the idea of buying our old ex-shop truck from another location that we just inherited.

It's a 2008 F250 Super Duty 4x4 with 160k KMs/100k miles. 5.4 of fury, extended cab, long box.

Absolute bottom of the line fleet spec with manual hubs, manual windows and door locks. BUT it does have functional cruise and good AC.

Everything seems to work but there is a tire sensor issue which is the only idiot light. Doesn't appear to have any leaks which surprised me.

I can tell from driving it the brakes need some love (quite spongy but stop well), probably some suspension work, a new tailgate (original is hosed) and a very good cleaning. Tires are surprisingly good LT tires BUT they are mismatched from front to rear (same size obviously).

Drivers side washer nozzle is a drizzle instead of a spray. Probably clogged up somewhere.

Very minor surface rust from chips in a couple spots, needs a windshield.

If I can get it for next to nothing, I am tempted to get it as a beater. Hopefully ~$3K as it's basically worthless on the books at this point.

I *presume* these are relatively tough and reliable, easy to work on with cheap enough parts? Anything to majorly look out for that isn't blindingly obvious?

I did a quick look at the trip computer and it shows 22L/100km average, so around 10ish MPG so I'm under no illusion of economy :lol:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh interesting. What needs to be done if that's the case? I've never had that happen.

e: i mean what tools should be on hand to pull the plugs? our fleet company is notoriously cheap so it would not surprise me if they are original plugs.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Ugh
When they design a tool specifically for that, it doesn't give me confidence I'm going to be able to pull them without it lol

I haven't bought it yet but I let them know that I'm interested if it's cheap enough.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So what is it with the design that causes them to consistently seize?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Huh. Interesting. Thanks. No idea they used special plugs.