Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My brother has an 02 Silverado and is thinking about putting headers and dual exhaust on it, is it even worth it? I know V8s tend to do well with headers but I don’t know if it’s worth the cost these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well he's already got a single into a Flowmaster then split to duals out the back and it sounds cool, but he's thinking a set of headers and true duals will give him some more HP and better MPG with a tune. He's already got a K&N intake on it too, but he's just wondering if the overall cost of doing that will be worth the results.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Will it still be relatively "streetable" with a cam tho.... Like it won't have a weird idle or anything will it? And will mpg suffer as well?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

There's a guy on youtube that has great tear down and rebuilds of these and other transmissions with tips and tricks along the way too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLBe7CFWT3A

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Any common issues that causes these trucks to have detonation under hard acceleration?

My brother is getting it in his truck now, and he runs high octane in it to help in the Florida heat. I told him to back off on flooring it until we can figure out what the problem is

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well after a bit of searching looks like knock sensor issues probably, which requires removing the intake manifold ugh

I'll have to run the codes, hopefully that's not it

https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2012/05/audible-spark-knock-complaints-on-1998-02-gm-engines/

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 26, 2021

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So how bad does the detonation wear on these motors, my brother seems to think it's not worth fixing.

I told him he could possibly poo poo can the motor if he keeps driving it that way, especially if he's putting his foot in it like i know he likes to do

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So I went to run the codes in my brothers truck and it keeps saying "ecu not connected" and he tells me the same thing happened when he tried having the codes read at a autozone. Something wrong with the port possibly?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Oh man I used to love the Aurora and was tempted a few times but GM. Was it a fun/good car?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

So i've been DDing this for a little over a year now

2013 F-150 STX rwd

We originally bought this as not a week was going by where we didn't need to rent or borrow a huge vehicle to transport something to the project house. But we sold that house and since August the biggest thing this truck has hauled is a IKEA bookshelf. It just hit 135K and the suspension is beat so I've been exploring options. Other than airbags, what can I do to improve the ride comfort? I'm also leaning towards the idea of a static drop after seeing that mentioned in another thread.

Sell it and make a mint off it, buy something more fun

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

But won't lowering it make the ride even worse? Comfort and pickup truck are not two things that go together.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Anything in particular that cause these trucks to burn oil? Does a quart a month sound excessive or normal :v:

Was thinking of going to a heavier oil weight to see if that helps. I don't think it's the valve seals (no smoke on start up) so maybe piston rings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's got 180k on it. He said it's not leaking, has been putting cardboard under it to check and nothing.

I figured rings too. What's about the heaviest oil weight you can go with these? It's in Florida so winter temps aren't an issue here. I figured switching to a heavier weight would help at least a little.