Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Big reason to Always Be Fusing is just to make Elizabeth lighten up on the compendium costs. What does she even do with the money??????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
She pours it all out in fountains and offertory boxes.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Neeksy posted:

She pours it all out in fountains and offertory boxes.

She appears to have koban for those. Maybe she's using the yen to buy those things.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Yeah I get that part time jobs are always pretty worthless. Even from the very beginning of the game really, your first real trip into Tartarus its trivial to get strong enough that you can infinitely farm money on the early floors if you have all the patience and free time in the world. But it still feels extra silly to, in October, say "hey pay 8000 yen, use up a time slot, and you can get slightly more money from those part time jobs."

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
The cafe job is a good way to develop stats and pad out your wallet early on, but once Charm and Courage are maxed there's no reason to ever use it again. Honestly the money itself falls off hard after the first month since Tartarus gives such good payouts most of the time.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Do you even do part time jobs in the OG Persona 3....

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I honestly forgot there were other job options aside from Chagall Cafe simply because I had too much other poo poo to do in the daytime.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

Do you even do part time jobs in the OG Persona 3....

I think they were added in portable originally.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

cock hero flux posted:

the problem with having party member social links is that social links are supposed to be a self-contained story of character growth, but your party members are also heavily present in the main story. It would be too much work(or at least, more than they're willing to do) to write multiple versions of the social link/main story scenes to account for when in the main story you choose to do the link. So, nothing you do in the social link can affect how the main story scenes go, and nothing you do in the main story can affect how the link goes. They've tried two different ways of resolving this, and they were both bad. In 4 and 5 they resolve this by having absolutely nothing happen in any of the party member social links. Because nothing actually happens, they make sense no matter where in the story you decide to them. But, you know, nothing happens. The links themselves are bad. 3 tried a different approach for this. The links are written in a way that takes into account events of the main story, and so to make sure that they make sense you are just not allowed to do them until the last main story scene that affects them has happened. This is maybe better, but also results in you taking eight months to become friends with Mitsuru. Also clearly something of a problem.

Linked episodes, on the other hand, sidestep all that very neatly by being essentially social links with progression locked to specific calendar periods. Every stage can be written to take into account exactly when in the story it's going to happen because you only have a certain window in which to do them, so they don't need to write 10 versions of it, or make sure that nothing actually happens, or make them only available right at the end of the game.

I think they should have made the SEES social link advance based on how many of the party linked episodes you do instead of set progress points

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

DC Murderverse posted:

I think they should have made the SEES social link advance based on how many of the party linked episodes you do instead of set progress points

SEES being the Fool Arcana and P3-P5's storylines all revolving around the Fool's journey mean that Fool will always be storyline-triggered under the modern Persona format.

Imagine losing against the final boss because Igor's all 'Nope, you didn't finish your missable party link events, so you never finished your journey fucker.'

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

anakha posted:

SEES being the Fool Arcana and P3-P5's storylines all revolving around the Fool's journey mean that Fool will always be storyline-triggered under the modern Persona format.

Imagine losing against the final boss because Igor's all 'Nope, you didn't finish your missable party link events, so you never finished your journey fucker.'

i've always wondered if there's unique dialogue at the end for having zero social links other than the mandatory ones

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
How many mandatory non-Fool links are there each game? From my vague recollection:

P3: Kenji, Kazuichi
FeMC: Junpei, Rio
P4: Yosuke, Chie, Yukiko, Rise, Teddie
P5: Ryuji, Ann, Yusuke, Morgana

Ones I can’t remember if they were mandatory or not: Nanako, Dojima, Futaba, Sojiro, Mishima

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

How many mandatory non-Fool links are there each game? From my vague recollection:

Ones I can’t remember if they were mandatory or not: Nanako, Dojima, Futaba, Sojiro, Mishima

I think we need to make a distinction here between automatic start and automatic completion.

Teddie and Morgana will automatically complete assuming you complete the game - everybody else in this list aside from Death/Judgement in P3 will automatically start but needs to be manually completed.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Majorian posted:

I think they did that for P3P as well because I don't remember that at all.
E: replacing the gambling with the shrine offering rng, that is.

Sorry, I'll clarify; P1 & 2 have regular gambling, 3; I've only played FES, but have portable and so on ready to go, I have Golden, somewhere. and a bunch of other SMT stuff for emulation.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i don't think persona 3 ever had gambling?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

ApplesandOranges posted:

Futaba, Nishima and Sojiro are all mandatory afaik; the first two start as plot events, and I've been told that Sojiro force starts his confidant if you ignore him, like Kaz and Rio in P3. Also Akechi and Sae are plot unlocks and both autocomplete in Vanilla, while advancing Akechi's is optional in Royal.

E: Also Royal makes you start Maruki and Kasumi's.

Though Yusuke's confidant is not mandatory. You have the whole heart-to-heart scene to unlock it, but the actual confidant doesn't start until you do the first hangout where he finds a blank skill card in Mementos.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Mar 18, 2024

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Booky posted:

i don't think persona 3 ever had gambling?

No, I don't think it ever had actual sit down gambling, although the claw machine and temple are RNG.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
The closest was that shuffle time used to be an actual card shuffling mini game, and there was the double up mechanic.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
im glad they got rid of shuffle time but still call it shuffle time

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
there's technically still randomization in there, but yeah.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

there's technically still randomization in there, but yeah.

furious whenever i kill a hand enemy and the shuffle time doesn't happen or doesn't give me the exp card

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

cock hero flux posted:

3 tried a different approach for this. The links are written in a way that takes into account events of the main story, and so to make sure that they make sense you are just not allowed to do them until the last main story scene that affects them has happened. This is maybe better, but also results in you taking eight months to become friends with Mitsuru. Also clearly something of a problem.

It's funny, this got me thinking, "Are there any examples of social links that tie certain levels to the story's main plot beats?" I was wracking my brain and then it hit me: "Oh doy! Sojiro, aka Video Gaming's Best Dad, 7 Years Running!" (sorry, Dojima - should've taken that weekend off for Nanako) Part of what makes his SL work so well for me is the pacing, and that's largely because you only have access to the first half or so until you rescue Futaba. (I probably don't need to spoiler that at this point, but just to be safe) I wish the series would do that more often. It would be an easy fix to the "wait until almost endgame to even begin getting to know Mitsuru or Aigis" problem IMO.

I'm nitpicking, but I'm only doing so because I really do like this remake a lot. I'm having a great time on my New Game +. But it gives me an opportunity to notice little things that delight or bug me.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Majorian posted:

It's funny, this got me thinking, "Are there any examples of social links that tie certain levels to the story's main plot beats?" I was wracking my brain and then it hit me: "Oh doy! Sojiro, aka Video Gaming's Best Dad, 7 Years Running!" (sorry, Dojima - should've taken that weekend off for Nanako) Part of what makes his SL work so well for me is the pacing, and that's largely because you only have access to the first half or so until you rescue Futaba. (I probably don't need to spoiler that at this point, but just to be safe) I wish the series would do that more often. It would be an easy fix to the "wait until almost endgame to even begin getting to know Mitsuru or Aigis" problem IMO.

I'm nitpicking, but I'm only doing so because I really do like this remake a lot. I'm having a great time on my New Game +. But it gives me an opportunity to notice little things that delight or bug me.

you can do the same thing within the structure of an s link by gating off specific levels, yes. This is maybe a bit awkward sometimes, since I remember reaching the block with Sojiro really early and spending the intervening time wondering what the problem was but that's not a huge deal.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Zokari posted:

furious whenever i kill a hand enemy and the shuffle time doesn't happen or doesn't give me the exp card

Is the EXP card a multiplier? I always assumed it was just a flat bonus but I never took the notes to actually confirm.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

cock hero flux posted:

you can do the same thing within the structure of an s link by gating off specific levels, yes. This is maybe a bit awkward sometimes, since I remember reaching the block with Sojiro really early and spending the intervening time wondering what the problem was but that's not a huge deal.

Yeah, I remember that annoyed me the first time I played it because I really wanted to get foster daddy to notice me, but it made sense later in the game.

\/\/\/yeah, I like that. I hope when Persona 6 comes out sometime next century they include that.\/\/\/

Majorian fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 18, 2024

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Majorian posted:

The new linked episodes are actually an example of that. Junpei/Ken/Akihiko's have the early episodes that are more casual, and then the later ones only unlock after certain story points.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
I just finished P3R and I’ve played 4/5. Are there any other games/spinoffs similar enough to these three for me to play?

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Persona 2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sunk Dunk posted:

I just finished P3R and I’ve played 4/5. Are there any other games/spinoffs similar enough to these three for me to play?

To be honest it depends on what you're looking for. Do you like the Social Link stuff, the Persona/Monster/dungeon crawler stuff, the modern day setting, all of the above?

Probably the closest to modern Persona in the spinoffs is the Devil Survivor games for the DS/3DS, which are still different beasts. The older Persona games are cool but more traditional RPG/dungeon crawler without the time elements and with a much weaker combat system. The SMT games are excellent but full-on dungeon crawler/RPG with only light plots.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
If you don't mind slightly jank combat and a bad side quest system, I really enjoyed The Caligula Effect 2. The first one is apparently like that but significantly more jank.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Seconding Caligula 2. Awesome game.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
There's also Tokyo Mirage Session which is another SMT spinoff that scratches the Persona vibe for me. No calendar system and the plot is a lot lighter and simpler, but it has the same flashy presentation and gameplay skeleton and magic teenager young adult setting.

Or if you're specifically hankering for a grand serious plot and a calendar system, Fire Emblem: Three Houses is a whole nother genre, but it has those elements and a lot of the same voice talent on cast.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Or if you're specifically hankering for a grand serious plot and a calendar system, Fire Emblem: Three Houses is a whole nother genre, but it has those elements and a lot of the same voice talent on cast.

Seconding this, that game is an absolute delight.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I wouldn't put Three Houses in that category specifically: the calendar system barely matters at all (it's basically pre-timeskip and post-timeskip). Like it's still a decent game, just that it wouldn't really align with Persona outside of being a tactical game.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Elizabeth has a request to kill a greedy shadow in block 5 of tartarus. I have gone through all of block 5 that is available and did not get the quest done. Can I go back to the start of the block and keep trying on this visit, or do I need to come back on a different day to reset the spawn chance of event floors?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

LibbyM posted:

Elizabeth has a request to kill a greedy shadow in block 5 of tartarus. I have gone through all of block 5 that is available and did not get the quest done. Can I go back to the start of the block and keep trying on this visit, or do I need to come back on a different day to reset the spawn chance of event floors?

i'm pretty sure that the greedy shadow counts as a floor modifier and that any floor you've already been to is going to keep whatever modifiers or lack of modifiers it had when it first generated on this visit. So no, you're gonna have to come back. I had the exact same issue, by the way. I'm not even 100% sure the greedy shadow can spawn in the first chunk of block 5.

Also if you don't have Fuuka's Tartarus Search skill yet it's better to grind that out first since it makes it way less frustrating to get greedy shadows.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

cock hero flux posted:

i'm pretty sure that the greedy shadow counts as a floor modifier and that any floor you've already been to is going to keep whatever modifiers or lack of modifiers it had when it first generated on this visit. So no, you're gonna have to come back. I had the exact same issue, by the way. I'm not even 100% sure the greedy shadow can spawn in the first chunk of block 5.

Also if you don't have Fuuka's Tartarus Search skill yet it's better to grind that out first since it makes it way less frustrating to get greedy shadows.

The greedy shadow can definitely appear in the first half of the block, I know since I got one to spawn earlier this visit but failed the coin flips and my Futaba did not know Tartarus search yet. My Futaba is NOW high enough level for Tartarus search though, which I wasn't aware could cheat the greedy shadow encounters before you said that, so that is good to know thanks.
If all floors keep their modifiers for the whole visit, I'm imagining the floor I got it to spawn on technically keeps the "Greedy shadow" modifier, but also that modifier just keeps it a dead floor with already opened chests then, which is a bummer. Thanks for the reply.

I guess its not the end of the world to go back to Tartarus another night at this point though. Not like I do anything else at night time other then occasionally visit the dating site url.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
From what I remember, it can spawn in the first part of Block 5, but you only get the request after the second part opens up anyway. I could be wrong though.

Also yeah, get Tartarus Search, it's way better than blind-guessing (which I only managed to do once successfully).

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

LibbyM posted:

I guess its not the end of the world to go back to Tartarus another night at this point though. Not like I do anything else at night time other then occasionally visit the dating site url.

yeah this is why it's so silly that people stress out about finishing tartarus in 1 night

in the back half of the game you have loving NOTHING to do at night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Zokari posted:

yeah this is why it's so silly that people stress out about finishing tartarus in 1 night

in the back half of the game you have loving NOTHING to do at night

Honestly I think its the later persona game mindset that is hard to shake. When I played Persona 3 FES way back in the day I didn't mind taking multiple trips to clear tartarus. But now that I've played through persona 4 and 5, where it actually genuinely helps a lot to be able to clear the dungeon in one day every time, its hard to shake the mindset that I need to do as much of the dungeon as possible in a single day.