Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

hatty posted:

Its $35 otherwise which seems steep

Just a little :v:

I'll see when they reduce it to around 30% for the complete P3R experience in a few months too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Anyone know anything else good that comes with gamepass ultimate while I have it? Microsoft makes it obtuse to find anything.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I mean you'll own the DLC but you still wont own Persona 3 Reload so if you unsub after getting it you'd still have to buy the actual game to play the expansion.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
The end of the P3R Fortune SL is so funny lol.

I've decided not to be a doctor, oh no two people have medical emergencies in front of me within five minutes of each other. Protagonist please look after them by rubbing their back hahaha

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
Just finished the Sun SL. There are a few SLs in this game that they did not nail, either in the original version or this version. This absolutely was not one of them. Perfect execution, 10/10, especially the voice acting.

I'm not as in love with the social links in this game as a lot of its fans are, I think, but Akinari may be my favorite in the whole series. So drat good.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
Just rolled credits. This is a great game. I still like 5R and 4G more, but it's a lot closer of a call than it was before. A few thoughts:

-Part of what keeps it from matching the others for me is that I just don't think Makoto is a very interesting main character, even by "silent protagonist" standards. Ren is to some degree a silent protagonist, but dude's got way more personality, and I find his personal struggle a lot more engaging.

-The other party characters are great. I went into this version not liking Junpei at all from P3P, but the voice acting made me do a complete 180 on him.

-I'm still not a huge fan of Tartarus, but some of the layer redesigns are flat-out gorgeous. While I still prefer 5's detailed, symbolism-heavy dungeons, I get the appeal of this type of dungeon-crawling. I probably would have enjoyed it even more if they had added some lore about why the different layers look the way they do, and especially if the melody changed between layers. That tune gets really monotonous after ~200 floors IMO.

-Aigis' final (romantic) SL scene is so drat sweet.:3:

-Koromaru is a very good boy.

-I managed to get all of the SLs in my first playthrough (with the help of a guide, of course), but annoyingly missed a step somewhere and didn't get Ken's last special scene (I forget what they're called). So no Michael for me, which means no Metatron (always my favorite Persona design in any of these games), which means no Orpheus Telos, which means I'm sure as poo poo not going to try to fight Elizabeth, even though I know it's possible.:( Guess I'll have to play a New Game +, oh drat!

Majorian fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 16, 2024

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I like the way that Junpei says "Perfecto" like he's Beavis.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Majorian posted:

-The other party characters are great. I went into this version not liking Junpei at all from P3P, but the voice acting made me do a complete 180 on him.

I think this version really helped on making the party feel more cohesive or at least like they're people who share -anything- in common with each other as opposed to antisocial loners unless you have max stats and the other party is romanceable.

The charm increase for Junpei in particular is definitely apparent in the Japanese VO as well.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Fuuka never wants to do gardening and its driving me crazy.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

LibbyM posted:

Fuuka never wants to do gardening and its driving me crazy.

I THINK she is more available for that closer to endgame? I dunno, I might be misremembering.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Majorian posted:

I THINK she is more available for that closer to endgame? I dunno, I might be misremembering.

That's what I remember.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I like that Junpei's innovations just results in more of a lovely product.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Majorian posted:

Mr E posted:

That's what I remember.

I guess I'll just keep keeping my eyes open. At first I thought "Well, its a very strong effect so it makes sense her combat characteristics would be harder to get." But honestly, Yukari is out there casting heal spells for practically free because of hers and the game has given me a thousand chances to rank hers up so who knows really.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

What sucks is that the best person to do gardening with from what I remember of the benefits is Shinji.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

This remake should have jettisoned Nozomi and replaced him with Shinji for the Moon SL. He's Moon in the female version of P3P and it's a much, much better SL, in my opinion.

Also just flat-out jettison the bad SLs and replace them with your male party members (again, like for femc in P3P). It's really, really weird to me that you can't do proper social links with Junpei, Akihiko, etc.

\/\/\/Sort of, but I'd like for there to be more than just those, you know?\/\/\/

Majorian fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 17, 2024

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I think the hangouts serve that purpose imo.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
shinji’s also not really a moon link, regardless of what p3p says

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

linked episodes are fundamentally a better way of doing things than having party member social links

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

cock hero flux posted:

linked episodes are fundamentally a better way of doing things than having party member social links

How so?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

P3R moon link ftw

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
On the other hand, party members not having social links with the main character does mean they get to go through arcs that don't require you to be standing off to the side awkwardly and be their designated vent companion. In general I find the interactions Akihiko, Shinji, and Junpei have independent of the team to be some of the more interesting plot beats of Persona 3, and I don't think Akihiko's reaction to Shinji's death would hit quite as hard if he was directing his words to the MC rather than essentially shouting to the heavens.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

CullenDaGaDee posted:

On the other hand, party members not having social links with the main character does mean they get to go through arcs that don't require you to be standing off to the side awkwardly and be their designated vent companion. In general I find the interactions Akihiko, Shinji, and Junpei have independent of the team to be some of the more interesting plot beats of Persona 3, and I don't think Akihiko's reaction to Shinji's death would hit quite as hard if he was directing his words to the MC rather than essentially shouting to the heavens.

I guess I can see that, but that being the case, maybe it'd be better if the series just abandoned "social links" and went with more hangouts or whatever.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

And you don't have weird situations where your party member attains their second tier Persona to show how they've grown and matured as a person due to their social link getting maxed... then reverts back to acting like a dumbass to advance the plot.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

the problem with having party member social links is that social links are supposed to be a self-contained story of character growth, but your party members are also heavily present in the main story. It would be too much work(or at least, more than they're willing to do) to write multiple versions of the social link/main story scenes to account for when in the main story you choose to do the link. So, nothing you do in the social link can affect how the main story scenes go, and nothing you do in the main story can affect how the link goes. They've tried two different ways of resolving this, and they were both bad. In 4 and 5 they resolve this by having absolutely nothing happen in any of the party member social links. Because nothing actually happens, they make sense no matter where in the story you decide to them. But, you know, nothing happens. The links themselves are bad. 3 tried a different approach for this. The links are written in a way that takes into account events of the main story, and so to make sure that they make sense you are just not allowed to do them until the last main story scene that affects them has happened. This is maybe better, but also results in you taking eight months to become friends with Mitsuru. Also clearly something of a problem.

Linked episodes, on the other hand, sidestep all that very neatly by being essentially social links with progression locked to specific calendar periods. Every stage can be written to take into account exactly when in the story it's going to happen because you only have a certain window in which to do them, so they don't need to write 10 versions of it, or make sure that nothing actually happens, or make them only available right at the end of the game.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

cock hero flux posted:

the problem with having party member social links is that social links are supposed to be a self-contained story of character growth, but your party members are also heavily present in the main story. It would be too much work(or at least, more than they're willing to do) to write multiple versions of the social link/main story scenes to account for when in the main story you choose to do the link. So, nothing you do in the social link can affect how the main story scenes go, and nothing you do in the main story can affect how the link goes. They've tried two different ways of resolving this, and they were both bad. In 4 and 5 they resolve this by having absolutely nothing happen in any of the party member social links. Because nothing actually happens, they make sense no matter where in the story you decide to them. But, you know, nothing happens. The links themselves are bad. 3 tried a different approach for this. The links are written in a way that takes into account events of the main story, and so to make sure that they make sense you are just not allowed to do them until the last main story scene that affects them has happened. This is maybe better, but also results in you taking eight months to become friends with Mitsuru. Also clearly something of a problem.

Linked episodes, on the other hand, sidestep all that very neatly by being essentially social links with progression locked to specific calendar periods. Every stage can be written to take into account exactly when in the story it's going to happen because you only have a certain window in which to do them, so they don't need to write 10 versions of it, or make sure that nothing actually happens, or make them only available right at the end of the game.

Yeah okay, I like that. I'd like there to be more of them for the male party members in P3 though, because hey, they're interesting characters, and I liked learning more about them in P3P.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
you forget that there is checks for social link progress in the main story: the "don't give up" bits from 3, 4 and 5 in the final boss segments, and those always feel good.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

People always act like the problems with party member Social Links are inherent to the form and not just, like, bad writing

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Junpei posted:

you forget that there is checks for social link progress in the main story: the "don't give up" bits from 3, 4 and 5 in the final boss segments, and those always feel good.

yeah but that's literally the end of the game. also it would feel weird if you got there and your actual party members were like "yeah, whatever, who gives a poo poo" because you didn't hang out with them, personally, often enough, which i believe is part of the reason why they keep a generic whole party s.link that ranks up automatically in every installment

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I don't generally like squad mate social links but I think Yukaris was probably the best. The main story concentrates on her dad so it's cool that the social link is all about the relationship with her mom so while it feels disconnected with the main plot it does feel like theirs progress for her.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Mitsuru (and Haru)'s SLs are also direct continuations of their plot beats, so they do also make sense from that narrative point of view. And it's not like Haru gets any plot development after her Palace anyway, so the 'dissonance between SL and plot' doesn't really matter for her.

I think all the Linked Episodes were good, though Koromaru's was honestly kind of a doze until his last one and I didn't do Ryoji's. Maybe for NG+.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

Mitsuru (and Haru)'s SLs are also direct continuations of their plot beats, so they do also make sense from that narrative point of view. And it's not like Haru gets any plot development after her Palace anyway, so the 'dissonance between SL and plot' doesn't really matter for her.

I think all the Linked Episodes were good, though Koromaru's was honestly kind of a doze until his last one and I didn't do Ryoji's. Maybe for NG+.

haru arguably avoids this problem by appearing so late into the game that she doesn't qualify for the "heavy presence in the main plot" part of being a party member

also, something I wish I had known about Koromaru's episodes: they're unique in that they don't have deadlines. Like, all of Koromaru's episodes can just be done whenever after they show up. Ie: save them for the winter break when you have fuckall else to do, don't do them in september when they're competing with school links.

cock hero flux fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 17, 2024

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Honestly all 3 Persona games have their own pacing flaws.

3 is the middle child/Baby Bear of the group, it's plot moves in fits and spurts so you alternate between slow bits where nothing major happens and then bam, cutscene central for a few hours before it slows down again.

4 has a plot where April is the early game set-up, November is when the plot actually starts to happen, and most of what happens in-between is filler for the most part.

5 has a pretty snappily paced plot, but it comes at the expense of not a ton of group-dynamic-building moments.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Junpei posted:

Honestly all 3 Persona games have their own pacing flaws.

3 is the middle child/Baby Bear of the group, it's plot moves in fits and spurts so you alternate between slow bits where nothing major happens and then bam, cutscene central for a few hours before it slows down again.

4 has a plot where April is the early game set-up, November is when the plot actually starts to happen, and most of what happens in-between is filler for the most part.

5 has a pretty snappily paced plot, but it comes at the expense of not a ton of group-dynamic-building moments.

"All 3 Persona games" :negative:

When the modern games are based around the concept of the game having to take place across a whole year, it's just really hard to have enough plot stretched evenly enough so it doesn't feel like there are lulls in the story.

I think also that the calendar/monthly dungeon system of 3-5 just inherently has pacing issues. Even though in theory you can spend your time each month however you want, you're incentivized to blow through the dungeons as fast as possible if you want to maximize social link/stat raising time, so in 4 and 5 all the plot and exciting stuff each month is frontloaded and then you're left to slog through 3 weeks of nothing but social link type stuff while getting a million text messages about "will the change of heart work this time?? I don't knooow"

1, 2, as well as some of the spinoffs like Strikers and Q where the plot isn't stretched across a year with the calendar don't feel like they just drag on forever in the way that 3-5 do.

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Mar 17, 2024

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

shinji’s also not really a moon link, regardless of what p3p says

He's hierophant as fuuuuuck

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Just got MC to Level 32 and noticed there was a way to get 4 elements on an under lv 10 Persona (Lilim?) errrgh, also I am really really really regretting getting the 3 stats to 6 before the second round of exams, uff ufff uffff.
I'm sad they decided to ditch gambling in P3 & replaced it with background rng at the shrine.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

staberind posted:

Just got MC to Level 32 and noticed there was a way to get 4 elements on an under lv 10 Persona (Lilim?) errrgh, also I am really really really regretting getting the 3 stats to 6 before the second round of exams, uff ufff uffff.
I'm sad they decided to ditch gambling in P3 & replaced it with background rng at the shrine.

i got top rank in the second round of exams at academics 4 and i'm pretty sure 3 would have been enough

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

cock hero flux posted:

i got top rank in the second round of exams at academics 4 and i'm pretty sure 3 would have been enough

First exams requires Academics 3, second set requires Academics 4.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

staberind posted:

I think they did that for P3P as well because I don't remember that at all.
E: replacing the gambling with the shrine offering rng, that is.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 18, 2024

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

The thing you can read on the shared computer that increases the money you get from part time jobs shows up so late in the game as to be completely pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

LibbyM posted:

The thing you can read on the shared computer that increases the money you get from part time jobs shows up so late in the game as to be completely pointless.

The part-time job pay only makes any dent in expenses early on, too. By the time you're even 1/3rd in through the game, you're drowning in cash from tartarus cards and shadow droppings and the costs of equipment & personae also increase quite a bit.