Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
P3 cast was still 19/20 at most during P4A.

By the time of P5 they're pushing like mid-20s probably, which is already different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

ApplesandOranges posted:

P3 cast was still 19/20 at most during P4A.

By the time of P5 they're pushing like 30, which is a different vibe altogether.

Fair enough, you could focus more on P4 vs P5, which I'd imagine marketing people would like a bunch too. Cops vs Robbers is such an easy angle to develop a fighting game in a cognitive world from imo.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Re: Yusuke's introduction, back in high school I was pretty used to drawing nude models, so perhaps his background really did desensitize him to the idea.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
Bunch corn ball 40 year olds taking about what is problematic in a 29 year old Japanese children’s game

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also P4A just had the P3 cast be adults didn't it? It wasn't a problem there, the only real issue would be Nanako, Teddie, and Ken because you could still have everyone else look roughly the same.

we do have a decent idea for what nanako would look like in p5 time because it actually exists already
https://twitter.com/REALMadMax1960/status/1748701575877439857

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Ken would be 18 in P5, so honestly he doesn't have to look that much more different than his Ultimax self where he already had his giant growth spurt and deeper voice at the tender age of 13.

Teddie grew slightly in the epilogue of P4, so you can have it be similar to that where he just looks very similar, just maybe give him some inches and longer hair.

Problem would be that everyone else would be pretty different looking in the P4 cast otherwise since they already had their epilogue changes. Naoto covering up her chest or Kanji dying his hair and getting rid of his glasses feels like it's going against the grain.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Neeksy posted:

Re: Yusuke's introduction, back in high school I was pretty used to drawing nude models, so perhaps his background really did desensitize him to the idea.

Yusuke's not the problem with the scene, the issue is that the writers decided to include the plot point at all, let alone immediately following the Kamoshida arc.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yusuke doing the 'pose nude for me or I call the cops!' threat is still pretty bad.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

ApplesandOranges posted:

Ken would be 18 in P5, so honestly he doesn't have to look that much more different than his Ultimax self where he already had his giant growth spurt and deeper voice at the tender age of 13.

Teddie grew slightly in the epilogue of P4, so you can have it be similar to that where he just looks very similar, just maybe give him some inches and longer hair.

Problem would be that everyone else would be pretty different looking in the P4 cast otherwise since they already had their epilogue changes. Naoto covering up her chest or Kanji dying his hair and getting rid of his glasses feels like it's going against the grain.

This where the cognitive outfits from Persona 5 (Like their Phantom Thief Outfits) makes for a great explanation. Naoto isn't covering up her chest, but her "Great Detective" Outfit does etc.

Yukari was in a featherman outfit for P4 Arena, they'll make changes in design if they need to.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If Persona 5 Arena brought back old characters it would be a timewarp situation and you all know it

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The world will never be ready for 20 year-old Teddie.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

20 year old teddie would look the exact same but now he dabs

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
20 year old Teddie is bitter from years of working at Junes.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
Every days great at your junes

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Sunk Dunk posted:

Every days great at your junes

:hai:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Arist posted:

Yeah that's some revisionism, people have been complaining about Yosuke's homophobia for fifteen years at this point

I don't doubt that "people have been complaining," but it wasn't some opinion that would be reflected in opinion polls and what have you. And I'm not saying people approved of Yousuke's worst behavior - just that they didn't care enough for "Yousuke is the worst" to be some widely accepted opinion. Most people probably just rolled their eyes at the dumb stuff in the same way they do things like hot spring scenes.

This is what I meant about "internet discourse" - it's going to seem like an opinion is very common when you're talking about a game with like-minded people in places like this thread. But millions of people play these games, and the people you see posting opinions online are probably not a representative sample.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Man, I really don't know what to tell you if you think fan polls are any more "objective" or "representative" a measure of public sentiment insofar as that is even a thing that we can properly measure, which it kind of isn't.

Like, buddy, the popularity polls are the internet too. It's all internet, all the way down, even if it didn't involve a computer. The internet is a state of mind.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
do the games take place in the same universe? i just visited the p3 island in p4 and chihiro was there lol

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
oh and obviously i buy poo poo from tanaka weekly but i chalked him up more to being such a dickhead salesman that he existed literally always in any universe

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

tbp posted:

do the games take place in the same universe? i just visited the p3 island in p4 and chihiro was there lol

yeah

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

tbp posted:

In P3P, the female protagonist visits Inaba and meets Yukiko. Rise and Naoto are discussed in the background of P5. And the P1 and P2 casts are given text-only cameos on the TV in 3.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also a bunch of P4 characters and Yukari get mentioned on the TV segments in P5.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
And Vincent from Catherine has a cameo in P3P (at least on PSP, no idea if it's in the recent re-release).

P3 also implies both that the characters from P2 exist as people in the P3 world, but also that they are characters in a video game which exists in the P3 world. There are several ways to resolve this apparent contradiction; mine is to realise that canon isn't real and so it doesn't loving matter.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

SubG posted:

And Vincent from Catherine has a cameo in P3P (at least on PSP, no idea if it's in the recent re-release).

P3 also implies both that the characters from P2 exist as people in the P3 world, but also that they are characters in a video game which exists in the P3 world. There are several ways to resolve this apparent contradiction; mine is to realise that canon isn't real and so it doesn't loving matter.

Cognitions did it

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also there is a kid in the track team social links in P3 that people have decided is Ryuji. Nothing textually states it, but the ages add up and they kinda look similar.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

SubG posted:

They are only characters in a video game in the English version.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

SubG posted:

vincent being there also means that there are giant space colonies because that's established as having happened in catherine, which has weird implications especially when it comes to poo poo like nyx literally being the moon

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
It looks like they really dumped a lot of resources into that gacha game

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Hellioning posted:

They are only characters in a video game in the English version.

yeah the jp version is a reference to digital devil story megami tensei 1+2 called "devil busters" with n-jima and y-ko

iirc one location is Just a place from 2 too??

miasmacloud
Oct 10, 2007

(u‿ฺu✿ฺ)
In a web talk show interview, the staff mentions that you can tell the guy in P3P is not really Vincent because he has a mole. :v: https://web.archive.org/web/20110223004258/https://www.gamers1.jp/colweb/radio/2011/110210/110210.php It's around 21:30mins.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

P1/P2 remasters coming.

https://twitter.com/MbKKssTBhz5/status/1778852633052140004
https://twitter.com/MbKKssTBhz5/status/1778860576296276313

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
Now can P1 keep the original music and not the crap that P1PSP got?

Okay some of the P1PSP songs were good but there's no way you can tell me any of them were better than P1PSX's.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Do you think they might combine the SEBEC and Snow Queen into one campaign?

Would IS/EP have a Chain of Memories situation, where you unlock EP after beating IS?

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Nephrite posted:

Okay some of the P1PSP songs were good but there's no way you can tell me any of them were better than P1PSX's.

School Days is the best walking-around theme in the series.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Maybe they'll overhaul the combat and it won't be an utter chore to get through them. I'd like to finally play P2 (gave the PSP version a shot several years back) so I'll give it a shot if so.

Also the impression of 1 I get is that it's just not very good, considering I'm always seeing people say "Atlus should acknowledge P1!" and then never elaborate with what it should receive recognition for. Feels like those are people who haven't played it either.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

Maybe they'll overhaul the combat and it won't be an utter chore to get through them. I'd like to finally play P2 (gave the PSP version a shot several years back) so I'll give it a shot if so.

Also the impression of 1 I get is that it's just not very good, considering I'm always seeing people say "Atlus should acknowledge P1!" and then never elaborate with what it should receive recognition for. Feels like those are people who haven't played it either.

I think Persona 1 has a lot of interesting bits and largely the thing that sucks a lot of the air out of the room when discussing it is that Persona 2 continues those bits and often executes them better because it had the advantage of coming second and being released as two overlapping games instead of one game with two routes, which gives it a lot more time to breathe. It has genuinely fun characters and an enjoyable weird sci-fi metaphysical plot that could benefit a lot from just getting more time to breathe and more time to focus.

Like of the two Persona 1 probably needs a remake more because it was the first rough attempt and there are a lot of things they could fix and improve on because the core basis is strong.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 12, 2024

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Nephrite posted:

I'm more interested in the gameplay, I'd like to have a more modernized version of P1 that I can actually stand to play.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

Commander Keene posted:

I'm more interested in the gameplay, I'd like to have a more modernized version of P1 that I can actually stand to play.

This is also my wish.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

ajkalan posted:

School Days is the best walking-around theme in the series.

I don't disagree with you, but Deadline versus Bloody Destiny???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Yeah, I don't recall much about P1 so I'd much rather have the P2 ported to modern systems in a remake.