Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I'm hoping that Haru gets some good moments in Strikers, once I get my hands on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Didn't Rise have posters everywhere in P5? I guess she's still a singer.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I imagine Narukami being some kind of unassuming domestic sort. Elementary school teacher, local handyman, househusband, that sort of thing.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I'm only on the second dungeon of Strikers so far, and the game has already included two things that I wanted from P5's story (never played Royal)

One, since the game doesn't have S-Links it seems to have replaced them with optional hangout scenes. Only one I've scene so far is Joker, Ryuji, and Ann overindulging in ramen. Very cute, hope to see more

Also in a scene at Sendai, Ryuji and Morgana get into a brief argument and then apologize to each other :monocle:

Just in general the writing seems a bit tighter. Since there's no calendar management the plot doesn't need to constantly remind you of what to do, so no incessant group texts of "We should get back into the Palace and steal their heart" or "Do you think it worked? Guess we'll wait and see." The writers probably had a better idea going in of what the game was going to be and didn't have to do a ton of rewrites during development.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Before I got off my ADD medication I could do subs or dubs interchangeably, but now I'm pretty dub exclusive unless I have no other choice. I just very much prefer being able to just listen to the dialogue without having to keep my eyes glued to the screen.

And name pronunciation doesn't bother me nearly as much as it used to when I was young and knew everything. I've come across enough people whose names are spelled the same but pronounced differently that it just slides off my back for the most part.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

mastajake posted:

I'm clearly in the minority, but I really liked Teddie. He was, admittedly, grating at times, but I overall thought he was a good addition.

Naw, I liked him too. I just have nothing to contribute beyond that though so I usually stay quiet when everyone is venting their grievances with him.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Igor's VA dying is the reason why he hasn't been in any of the spinoffs, IIRC

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

HootTheOwl posted:

I think you're missing what the tv world is:
We learn that the TV world isn't actually what the person themselves think but what people think of them. In Knaji's case it was a bath house because people thought he was being a tough guy to cover up how he was gay. Like his dad who thought so when he discovered Kanji liked sewing. Or how Saki's dungeon was the liquor store because everyone thought she was working at Junes to help her family when in actuality she's earning extra money to escape Inaba. Rise's dungeon is a strip club because everyone thinks she's hyper sexual. Our first encounter with her is on the train where she's doing the strip tease for calorie magic. Yukiko is a castle looking for a knight to save her like all of her suitors want to be.

I don't think that holds up to scrutiny, namely Kubo was a complete unknown to the public when he got thrown in, and the 8-bit dungeon is still a perfect reflection of him. The collective subconscious is what determines who shows up when its all fuzzy, but once they get thrown in it starts pulling stuff from the person in question.

Also I didn't get the feeling that Kanji's dad was ashamed of his sewing, but maybe it's just me :shrug:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Badger of Basra posted:

Daredevil is an incredible song, holy poo poo

:yeah: I downloaded the soundtrack and listened to that one on repeat for like an hour last week.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

ApplesandOranges posted:

Did... Futaba ever mention her dad? I don't remember but it's been months since I played P5.

Nah, though the ambiguity did lead to that dumb "Futaba's dad is Shido" theory that one of the previous threads had.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Yeah Naoto was a first year

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Badger of Basra posted:

Make the next Velvet Room assistant (is that what they're called?) old and then make a young, hot Igor.

Keep the nose and you've got a deal.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Something else you should know about Strikers

Ryuji says gently caress

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Finished Strikers story, now into the post game. But some quick thoughts.

• Most enemies die quickly, but they're aggressive as gently caress. They'll shred you if you hesitate.
• (Almost) Every enemy has a weakness, including bosses and you'd think that would make the game too easy, but the new system where you have to deplete a gauge before knocking them down is really cool and I hope they integrate that into mainline games
• Music is great, as expected. You Are Stronger, Daredevil, Counterstrike, and the final boss theme are standouts for the original stuff, and the remixes kick rear end too.
• Story is mostly good, benefits a lot from seemingly not having a ton of rewrites.
• Having the whole crew from the start is great, and it lets a lot of characters shine.
• I'm actually really impressed with Joker's moveset, his normals are very basic but giving each Persona different charge attacks is outstanding variety. Some get free buffs and it's absurdly good (hello Alice)
• Enemy aggression ties in well with the general mechanics. Using your free moves could carry you through the whole game, but everything comes at you so fast that you need the instant, SP costing moves to save your rear end from getting beat.
Most bosses are refightable, but I find myself missing the ones that aren't. Kinda want to relive the Joker Mirror Match
• Sophie is really cute :3:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

describing anything in ann's s.link as having 'focus' is a bold move

and iunno, those scenes just feel like the cliffnotes of a shiho s. link given through the medium of an ann s. link. joker being there feels, if anything, slightly voyeuristic - why did she bring a guy who didnt even know her along to some of the most raw moments of shiho's life? i think the game really just needed a proper shiho s. link.

I get what they were going for with Ann's SLink, though it could have been done better. Describes a lot of P5's writing when you get down to it.

I'm not sure that Shiho needed a whole SLink to herself, but it is really awkward that Joker's just kind of there.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

amigolupus posted:

I'm still not sure what they were going for with Ann's S. Link. The main thing I remember was rooting for her model rival, who was actually putting effort into the modeling job unlike Ann.

Ann's SLink was about how she's a flake, she makes token gestures towards several different methods of self improvement but doesn't commit and gives up easily when it doesn't immediately work out like she thought. This is contrasted by Shiho going through painful rehab so she can walk again, and Mika (had to look that up :v:) using every dirty trick in the book to advance her career. Ann admires them both for giving their all towards one goal, and resolves to do that herself with her modelling career.

Still could have been done better but hey.

Acerbatus posted:

Maybe I'm dumb but I'm not sure how Ohya fits into Devil.

If I recall correctly, Devil is giving up on the world for material pleasures. Ohya has given up on her pursuit of the truth of her partner and instead spends all her free time getting smashed.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I feel like there's a monkey's paw aspect to this whole "Shiho as an SLink" discussion because there's no way they'd do it and not have her be romanceable.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Strikers combat is surprisingly fun in 1-on-1, just for funsies I fought Power Ranger Tony Stark with solo Joker and had blast.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Funky Valentine posted:

My day 1 mod for P5 on PC is replacing Rivers with It Has To Be This Way for the Shido fight.

Nah, Collective Consciousness fits him way better.

It Has To Be This Way would fit Akechi though.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Well there was the one guy who got arrested for it.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Strikers is a great spinoff/sequel because it focuses on the Phantom Thieves as a unit. You don't have to wait half the darn game to put the team together, so you get to spend a lot more time focusing on group dynamics rather than having to give introduction arcs to each character. Even the new characters (Sophie and Zenkichi) are there from the start.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Yeah, most studios seem to have dropped Mignogna like a hot rock so I don't think there's much risk of that.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I'd say the biggest hurdle for me personally was getting used to how aggressive the enemies are in Strikers when compared to a typical Musou game. You can't just mash your way through trash mobs, you gotta be more deliberate and call your shots more carefully.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Lord_Magmar posted:

It’s a huge departure but I kind of want the MC to stick with their starting Persona in the next game. It feels so tonally off that Arsene is presented as the spirit of your rebellion, and the entire game has a good deal of character work done on Joker to make him his own person through context, that the chameleonic Wild Card thing feels off.

Perhaps the slot other Personas in as sub-Personas could help it. So that Arsene etc is the protag main persona but they get the largest variety of sub-Persona access as their wild card feature.

I think the way to do this would just be to have Arsene or whatever equivalent level up like the party members personas, a full set of skills and always keep pace with the MC. Have the main persona fill a particular niche but not be able to handle every obstacle.

Of course, having the main persona become obsolete is probably a major factor in getting players to engage with fusion, so I can see why the devs wouldn't want to do something like that. It just a shame that the cool designs have to get tossed so early in the game.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Never got the chance to play Royal, so I'm looking forward to this.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
The main targets use deadly sins as a unifying theme. Kaneshiro's is gluttony, the demon of gluttony is Bael/Beelzebub, the lord of the flies. Hence, he turns into a fly.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I greatly appreciate any game that has modular difficulty like that. Customize the game, let players make it way easier on themselves, way harder, or whatever weird combination of in between.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Strikers rules because it picks a random song from the playlist whenever you get into a fight.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Picked up Royal off the Steam sale. Only played vanilla on PS3, and I remember how much I love this game.

I've heard people talk up Royal forever, so I'm interested in some of the minor changes that don't get talked up much. Stuff like Confidants having an extra phone call on the end so you can get some bonus points, or exploding shadows, or how recruiting a shadow you already have gives that persona bonus EXP. There's a bunch of neat stuff like that.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Arist posted:

I know too much about this game

I was gonna ask, did you do all that from memory or do you have it written down somewhere?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
So I'm into June on first run through of Royal. There's something I don't like about Maruki.

I dunno what it is. It's almost, not sure if this is the right word... cloying? Not the character himself but the way the game is just trying so hard to put him across in a certain way.

I already know the broad strokes of the spoilers regarding him so I know there's kind of a reason for this.

I'm not sure if this is the best way to put it but it's like I can see the strings on the puppet show and I don't like it.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Maruki's deal is that unlike all the other jaded or villainous adults, he comes right out the gate so earnest that it's almost cloying.

To be honest, I'm not sure how I'd feel about him if he weren't voiced by the late, great Billy Kametz, because Maruki's dialogue leans into the earnestness to the point where a lot of the lines as written come off as insincere or even condescending, but god drat does the man sell that here is a dude who, from the bottom of his heart, just wants to support others.

Yeah RIP to a legend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFJXVnvgsU4

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Guess which part of the game I'm at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjfSZu246zE

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Ah bathhouse scenes, the moments that Fast Forward was made for.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Personally, I think it'd be cool if the "Rank 10 upgrades that character's persona" was replaced "Rank 10 grants them a new persona that they can swap to freely."

Like, say if Rank 10 Ryuji could use Captain Kidd and Seiten Taisei, and each had its own stats, resistances, and skills.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
My pie-in-the-sky dream is to have party members be more involved in social links that aren't their own. Like how Futaba is pretty heavily involved in Sojiro's S.Link, I'd like that but for all of them.

Another thing I think would be cool would be to have all or nearly all of your party members from the start, that way they can establish group dynamics faster and maybe avoid late-character syndrome for poor Haru.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Point being, they totally should have had Kanji and Naoto get together.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
C’mon, Cognitive Akechi is the obvious answer

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Interesting, seems to be an Xbox/Windows exclusive (for now).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

ApplesandOranges posted:

If they're not including the FES/P3P content (other than I assume mechanical changes), then no way to save Shinjiro or Chihiro, I guess.

Oxxidation posted:

they're referring to rolling back shinji's and chihiro's deaths, which was already kind of tacky

This girl's had it too good for too long.