Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

That is why you cannot date Ryuji. You would decide to keep it a secret and then he would blurt it out at the next Phantom Thieves meeting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

That is unreasonable. It's a lot funnier to imagine Sojiro trying and failing to figure out what Morgana wants.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

KonvexKonkav posted:

It's canon that he and Ann get married though :colbert:

This is never gonna happen but they should just forbid you from dating crew members in Persona because I don't like how it makes everyone just revolve around you. That way, Kanji could date Naoto and Ann could date Ryuji, as God intended. Random S. Links would be still fine, though.

Ann must date Shiho though.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yeah Japanese Rise is an abomination.

I'd still prefer her to, say, Dancing All Night English Rise, but normal P4 Rise is a massive improvement.

Plus you don't have to listen to Japanese Teddie.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Like all videogame characters, they are bi unless explicitly said otherwise, in which case they are still bi but in denial about it.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Who doesn't love watermelon?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Lord_Magmar posted:

That’s certainly not the moral I read to those character arcs. I read it’s okay to be who you are and shutting others out from fear of their opinions only ends up hurting you. Sometimes it is a form of conformity (Yukiko, who has issues with the expectation she’ll manage the inn even if she loves the people there) and sometimes it is simply being proud of who you are enough to not hide it (Kanji, who’s hyper masculine brute/delinquent deal is to hide the fact he loves to knit and sew, or the mess with Naoto).

Eh, I kinda see their point? 5 out of 7 of your party members story ends up with them choosing to conform. Yukiko and Rise both decide to go back to the inn/idol business instead of choosing to rebel like they planned, both Kanji and Naoto use some tropes traditionally associated with being LGBT but since Naoto identifies as female, it means both that she's cis in text and Kanji only shows attraction to a woman in canon, and Kanji ditches his punk look and Naoto starts to dress more femininely in the epilogue and spinoffs, and Chie's entire gimmick is 'tomboy who wants to be more feminine'. Kanji and Naoto both still kind of rebel because Kanji likes to sew and Naoto is still a detective, to be fair.

I don't think any of those individually are a problem, but when taken together, almost all of your party members are happier after they start to conform in some way.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yes, and I'm saying that having Naoto and Kanji's real problems by societal expectations of gender roles despite using LGBT imagery in their dungeons is kinda weird. Hell, Naoto's imagery isn't even her dungeon, since that's focused on her age, it just brings up 'btw I'm a girl' at the end with her shadow.

Maybe I'm just annoyed at Rise in general because I generally liked the Rise before her dungeon more than the Rise after he dungeon (wow, a game that brings up how lovely and exhausting being fake all the time can be! Oh, wait, no, now Rise's acting as bubbly and cheerful as her stage persona and has a crush on the protagonist, the tired Rise from beforehand is gone now), but both Yukiko and Rise doing the same basic arc in their social link feels off to me.

Lord_Magmar posted:

The whole deal is your party members (and most of the social links) are trying to be something they’re not either because society expects them to do so, or because they’re terrified that the real them will be mocked etc.

I get this is someone from a decade later in another continent, but it's really weird how the person most of your party members is pretending to be is socially non-conforming and the person they actually are conforms a lot more. Like, maybe I have spin-off Chie in my head over actual epilogue Chie and I'm wrong? But Kanji goes from tough-looking possibly gay dude to a more normal looking person who is just into sewing and has no mention of his sexuality and Naoto goes from an androgynous figure to someone obviously a woman.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Eh, fair enough. Maybe it's just annoyance at the way P5 handles rebellion bleeding over to P4.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

It both has a story reason and still sucks, so don't worry about it.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

What 'Japan' thinks isn't really relevant.

The relevant thing is not being able to date Yusuke/Kanji/Akechi/Yosuke was a mistake.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Also, bold decision on saying 'These Ancient Greeks definitely cared for each other in an entirely platonic way.'

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Who is this Haru person? She sounds irrelevant.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The only thing I know about Strikers is that one of the new characters is a cop and Haru gives him poo poo about it which is great.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Excellent. I will now look forward to Strikers after Monster Hunter Rise and Bravely Default 2 are done.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

At least the Royal version is something, even if it's stupid. I still occasionally forget what the base game version even does.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I mean at least they're an improvement over 'SIU Director cackles evilly to himself', if only barely.

And he hasn't seen the real dumb 'villains cackling evilly to each other scene' yet anyway.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

On the other hand, Morgana deserves to never be in the group after you get Yusuke, so he isn't. He is a SP battery for out of combat healing.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I still think that Shiho was intended to die and that's why she barely shows up afterwards. They changed their minds but didn't have the time to add in more scenes for her.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Man, I will never not enjoy the 'evil' tarot theme going on with P5. I liked P3 and 4's tarot pictures too but the P5 ones are just so much better.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I think about the weird name changes in Revelations: Persona a lot, but I keep forgetting they also changed the persona names to dumb stuff too.

Every time I think the translation couldn't get any worse it does.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

They are if you're bad.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

To be fair, Joker was looking cool.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

And even that's barely a twist.

How strange. The two scenes that Joker conveniently cannot remember are both related to Akechi. I wonder what the game is trying to hide from us.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Futaba also has an Actual Parent.

Though yes between the entire team they have One Mom and One Dad worth the names.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The real problem with Ohya is that she is a datable option for some reason and her confidant abilities are at best useless and at worst actually a downgrade.

I mean I've seen exactly one person actually get kicked out of a palace because of hitting 100% alarm but twitch streamers don't count.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

Nothing ever tops P3's end boss. The atmosphere, music, and even the boss fight itself is extremely cool. I'm not sure why P4 and P5's final bosses kind of just feel like wet farts in comparison, even their music just feel... eh.

I think it helps that P3's end boss is obviously foreshadowed and a part of the story from the very beginning. The story would not be happening if it didn't exist.

To contrast, the P4 and P5 end bosses aren't as tied into the story. Sure, they're the reason the human bad guys you've been chasing for the rest of the game have the powers to do the evil things that you are trying to make them stop doing, but they're kind of hands off otherwise. Like, P4 gets a satisfying ending where you don't even fight them or know they exist, which kind of says it all.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Mona deserves worse.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The only problem with the P3 final boss is that it can occasionally charm someone and have that person Diarahan them, which is annoying and sucks.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I don't think you get to choose what your allies skills are in base P3. They overwrite them automatically.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Cheating is bad actually.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Teddie and Rise are the reasons I refuse to use Japanese Voices, yes.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

As long as at least one of them recognizes that P1/2 exists I will be happy.

I'd prefer a bunch of new games but that's unlikely to happen with this franchise.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Female protagonist only in persona 6.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I am still very amused that the franchise is so associated with high school that they have the logos for the high schools the characters go to as the background, even Maya, who is an adult and does not go to that high school.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I have bought Persona 3 3 times, so I understand why they do it. But it is slightly annoying yes.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I just want them to acknowledge P1-2.

Please. Give me Michel. Give me Mr. Ramen Cook Visual Kei Band man.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

i keep forgetting that this was supposed to be a big month for persona.

is the only thing so far that merch announcement?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Woo, persona anime! 3/4 of the persona animes are trash but woo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Sapozhnik posted:

Persona is an escapist power fantasy in which your self-insert character gains the ability to perform unbelievable feats like summoning demons, traveling to a supernatural otherworld, and diligently studying for exams.

And yet he still cannot date boys.