Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Huh, I actually found Q1 much better than Q2. Q2's theme felt constantly hammered in each dungeon, Q1 felt more like solving pieces of a puzzle. Q2 had much better balance, but Q1 had more fun interactions in the cast and has two kinda separate routes. Also Q2's cast is way, way too bloated, and no English VAing.

Both had good soundtracks though. Q2's opening theme is the standout and I like the P5's fight theme well enough, but PQ1's two regular battle themes are real earworms and I really liked Best Friends and Laser Beam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I have a bigger problem with Yusuke's introduction than Morgana's crush. Yusuke turns out fine afterwards but that subplot right after Kamoshida is... really not great.

Jen X posted:

tbh this is a big issue with how the game presents Ann in general; the game wants you to be mad on her behalf for her being sexually objectified and then it sticks her in a leather catsuit and focuses on her butt in combat animations

I feel like the game doesn't mind Ann being played up for sex appeal, she's clearly designed to be confident in her looks and balances it out with her terrible acting. The Kamoshida arc played more on him being an abuser of power especially over minors, and added in the sexual abuse to heighten the stakes.

I'm still holding out hopes for (P5S spoilers) bi Ryuji since he doesn't seem to be bothered that much if you complement his abs.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah, it's just Mishima because P5's setting is much more bustling compared to Inaba or Port Island. It's also a theme of 'crappy adults', so you get to mingle with a lot more of them.

P4 and P5 both have very good links, but I feel that P5 has fewer duds (I think just Ohya, maybe Chihaya).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yosuke and Ryuji both suffer a lot from 'someone has to be the idiot so the plot can progress'. Ryuji largely grows from it but he frustrates me in the main story for different reasons. He's very cool outside of it though and Max Mittleman is the runaway star in the already talented cast.

I actually kind of find it funny that the P4 cast is the most flanderized because it matches up to small town kids just not having very much to do.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
P5's party s-links are mixed. Ann's and Makoto's are generally derided, Haru's is largely just there (aside from a pretty brutal rejection at rank 9 if you don't romance her), Ryuji's is good but suffers from 'Story and S.Link Ryuji differences'. Yusuke's is good though and Futaba's is fantastic and possibly my favourite link in P5.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Hmm, I actually think the 'Lady' bit helps him seem less creepy (or at least, not as creepy as he could be). Like, it implies some sense of "she's a very refined person that I respect", and his whole shtick of trying to be a gentleman thief. There's a slight difference between something like 'Ann, you're so amazing' and 'Lady Ann, you're so amazing'.

But that's a personal take. I think it would go over easier if Ann actually addressed it in any capacity, but she mostly ignores it and lets Morgana do his thing, in a kinda 'my kid cousin has a crush, that's cute but nothing worth worrying about' way.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's funny because P4 spin-offs just over-emphasized Rise's idol part over pretty much anything else. Like several of her moves in P4AU are things like 'Idol Punch!'. Hey, remember that Rise worked in a tofu shop? She knows different kinds of tofu? No? Just another lame cooking joke? Okay....

anakha posted:

At that point, I was only about midway through my S-Link with Naoto and I was already getting weirded out, while Chie's S-Link progression was more like helping a buddy out rather than anything else.

Chie's link itself is kinda boring, but I like her as a romance option the best out of the party members. It's basically a 'wow, I mean, there's a detective prince, an idol, and Yukiko, and you picked me? Of all people? Well I'll do my double best to protect you then' and it's kinda sweet.

With the P5 romances I usually go Ann or Haru, because dang the 'romance or rejection' scenes for both of them are pretty brutal. I usually go Ann because there's a much lower chance of Joker getting axed in his sleep if he accidentally pisses off his girlfriend.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Squiggle posted:

I haven't gotten far enough in for it to be a thing, but I'm a little confused - I gather that you can rank up your Confidant relations from 1 to 10 and getting to 10 is "A Really Good Thing You Should Always Do"; but are the "romance" options like... a branch of the top-rank or something? Or is it the only way to advance after a certain point with certain people?

I guess to put it another way, I don't have to romance a character to get to their Rank 10 - right? I always find RPG romance tracks...weird. I don't usually feel like mashing school-age characters together like action figures.

In the base P3, it's a 'thou will romance to proceed', which is kinda gross since it means that to complete everything you have to make a harem. Thankfully for every game after (and the female route) it gives you the option to choose instead.

Harrow posted:

It's usually a choice you make at rank 9, and it is always pointed out as an important choice. You don't have to romance everyone to max every Confidant in Persona 5. Same for Persona 4.

The same cannot be said of Persona 3, where every social link with a girl becomes romantic if you rank up high enough, no matter what, because at the time the creators legitimately didn't believe that boys and girls could just be friends. Seriously. The female protagonist's route in P3 Portable doesn't have the same problem and lets you pick platonic routes for social links with dateable guys, which is very good because one of the boys the game lets you date is, uh... let's just say don't date him.

It's actually a shame because the link itself is actually pretty nice, but the romance route just kinda sticks out like a glaring sore thumb.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Harrow posted:

Of the age-appropriate-for-the-protagonist romance options, there's also Hifumi, the shogi nerd who yells out made-up special attack names as she plays like she's in Yu-Gi-Oh or something

Let me date Ryuji darn it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Fojar38 posted:

Makoto is the only party member (and possibly the only confidant entirely) who has her poo poo together and doesn't need Joker to fix all her problems for her. That's S-tier romance material tbh

Haru comes close but she also needed someone else to tell her "you know that there's no such thing as a binding marriage contract right? i mean lol"

On the other hand, she also has no sense of humour. Who doesn't laugh at 'beep boop'?

You gotta have some low-key fun, and with Makoto it's either 'study til death' or 'we busting out the motorcycle and doing some sick wheelies'.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Also maybe they should give the protagonist real parents instead of having us think 'wow your parents are butts, sending you away for an entire year'. With P4 it's 'okay, they have work' but with P5 it's literally 'yeah no this is probation, also you won't hear from your folks at all this year because???'. Dojima is at least your uncle, Sojiro is... a family friend? They never really made that clear to my recollection.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'll object on the grounds that Joker may be a delinquent and a kid, but he's not dumb and only half of his friends at that point are certified dumbasses. He chugged down gross smoothies just to be smarte- okay maybe he's a little dumb.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Sojiro is my favorite character in Persona 5 and I don’t think that’s a hot take?

He is a Good Man who has done his fair share of gently caress ups and just doesn’t want the kids to make his same mistakes.

Like when you first meet him he acts cold and it is initially implied he’s a womanizer but instead it turns out that’s all a front he puts up and instead he spends most of his time caring for Futaba and just being alone. :smith:

Iwai is also a Good Dude. Honestly for all of Atlus' faults, they do the Good Dad trope pretty well. Even Dojima learns (eventually).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Persona is basically Inverse Fire Emblem where moms are more likely to be dead, whether relevant or not (see: Ken's, Nanako's, Futaba's, etc.)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Harrow posted:

Persona 5 should've let Joker and Ryuji join Yusuke in yukata as well.

Yeah everyone gets in yukatas in Strikers. It's nice. Strikers is honestly a pleasant surprise in a few ways.

Fojar38 posted:

Persona 5 has me exclaiming "Useless?!?" in an offended tone in my head every time I hear the word.

I can't hear 'For real'? without it sounding like Ryuji now.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Item Getter posted:

It's kind of a goofy thing but it's obviously because the protagonist is a player self-insert character so details like their real family life are left to the imagination and that way players are introduced to their surrogate family at the same time that the protagonist is.
Did the P3 protagonist even have parents?

They did, but I believe they died in the same incident that gave them their Death powers.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Simply Simon posted:

Naoto is really good in P4G, I don't know what the issue is. Flexibility is an asset as much as pure power is, and instant access to Megido_ spells on a party member is super great for golden hand encounters. I've also had a lot of boss fights where they were dedicated damage dealer, with MC healing and the others buffing.

I'd say the only truly bad member in a lot of ways is Yosuke, only useful if there's a lot of wind weaknesses around.

The issue is that Naoto is fantastic in P4G. She's very niche in the original P4 where she only had her Light/Dark/Megido spells, so she slices through random encounters like a buzzsaw but is a very expensive nuker on boss fights that doesn't perform as well as any other mage.

Yosuke is a great jack-of-all-trades. His Magic is competent, Brave Blade is a decent substitute, and Masukukaja frees Teddie from bringing it. Mediarama isn't amazing but if it's enough to top the party up, then it means that it frees up Yukiko or Teddie to nuke, which they do better. Since his Ag is so high, he's more likely to be able to bail you out if you get ambushed or something.

There aren't really any bad party members. Chie is the closest to it because of Kanji's P4G improvements, but she has much better MT attacks for trash mob clearing and she can attempt a magic nuke build if that's your dream somehow, while Kanji is never gonna be good at it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Eh, Teddie is also a jack-of-all-trades. He nukes, he buffs, he heals. So is Makoto in P5, and she's an excellent character. They both get slotted into the 'healer' role but they're both very capable of doing other things.

Yosuke just so happens to be a master of none other than being really fast, but he's still solid enough.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yukari, Naoto, Ann and Makoto are probably the only ones with a 'normal' taste palette. Mitsuru doesn't know what a hamburger is, Futaba is probably dangerously dependent on curry and Haru has a disturbing penchant for things like elephant poop coffee and goat.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
With P5 there's also the Big Bang robot in the Okumura fight, which is basically the only boss which criticals work on. Nice for Baton Passing to Yusuke.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Fojar38 posted:

Much like in Persona 5 itself, the general rule of thumb is that if your enemy is being allowed to do things then you're doing something wrong. Hit her with her weakness every time she tries to do something you'd prefer she doesn't do. Bring someone with Amrita Drop for if you find yourself in a bad spot. Don't forget that you can combo into a special using your Persona's strong element for free.

Also, spam your dodge if you aren't attacking. It seems that the likelihood of your allies getting hit with things depends on how well you yourself are avoiding getting hit.

That's the first dungeon, so Haru won't even have Amrita Drop yet.

Anyway, with Succbus herself, I think that I mostly just dealt with dodging as much as I could and facetanking through others. Ryuji is the tankiest character by far, so you could include him to help punch through some of her moves. Sophie is a really good inclusion early on for Rakunda to help expedite the killing and then you can just hold her SP for healing.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Fojar38 posted:

So I realized something about Ryuji.

He's an inner city delinquent raised by a single mother? He's a superb athlete with a particular fondness for running?

You'd think a runner would have better Agility.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Most of the P4 'confession' scenes are also usually in a heated moment, like Rise or Yukiko's so rush of feelings > confession kinda works for teenage minds I guess. In P5 the only one that really plays off similarly is Ann.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Funky Valentine posted:

We're going to learn about Shujin's new gym teacher Mr. Sakamoto, the most popular model in Japan Ann, the rising star in the art world Yusuke, newly-minted police chief Makoto, cryptocurrency enthusiast Futaba, and Okumura Foods CEO Haru, with Joker never being vaguely alluded to, as is tradition.

'Gym Teacher' Ryuji feels like a step down compared to everyone else. At least make him an Olympic runner or something.

I imagine P4MC is left blank because of potential romance options. He could run the inn besides Yukiko, help Naoto solve crimes, or just follow Rise everywhere like an idol fanboy.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

bewilderment posted:

He shows up in the opening movie and your party member list literally has an open slot in it, I dunno how much more obvious you want the game to be.

Some people don't watch the opening movie for fear of spoilers (and if you're a Tales regular, that happens a lot). It's also not immediately obvious about the second bit. I certainly didn't notice it despite knowing of his existence as a party member.

Also the game is like, less than a week old.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I got the game as a digital download on the Switch, so nope, boxart wasn't a thing there.

I mean, I'm not gonna say there aren't a lot of clues pointing to it, but I'm not gonna roll my eyes and go 'well, it was obvious anyway, I'm not gonna bother spoiling it'.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Harrow posted:

Makoto wanting to become a cop is one of the more baffling things to me in Persona 5. I know that Persona 5 is ultimately a pretty idealistic game and the setting includes the concept of the mythical Good Cop (Dojima, Makoto's dad, Zenkichi) but I always thought becoming a defense attorney or, like Solaris suggested, a lawyer who goes after cooked cops would be a better way to achieve her stated goals.

I can't really hold it against her as a character because, well, see above about Persona 5's naive idealism, but I do maybe hold that naive idealism against Persona 5's writers a bit.

I do still like pairing Joker and Makoto, if only because they feel like the two co-leads of the story and Makoto gets some of the most non-social link development out of the whole party. For me it feels right narratively. Now, if the game would let me date Ryuji or Yusuke, maybe I'd have to reconsider.

Most likely to differentiate herself from Sae, who decides to become a defense lawyer by the end of P5.

I do wish she had more 'quirks', since her only real notable ones are FIST OF JUSTICE and being scared of ghosts. She's almost too straitlaced.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Harrow posted:

P5R fixed a lot of the worst lines from the original but in the process it made the "still bad but less glaring" lines now the glaring ones, and introduced some new badly-translated lines of its own (like when you can ask Kasumi "you want a piece of this?" instead of offering to share your umbrella, which is what that line is supposed to be).

Apparently Atlus Japan was really hands-on with the English localization for some reason which led to some of the weirder choices, including the pronunciation of Japanese surnames, which tend to have emphasis on some odd syllables compared to how either English or Japanese speakers would say them. Normally Atlus's localizations are better than that.

The most glaring stand-out for me was Morgana revealing his Persona. Who the heck says 'We will promptly shut them up!'?

But yeah, Sakamoto and Takamaki are very not-instinctive ways of saying them. There's actually one NPC that says Takamaki how you would expect it to be normally said but it's so different from the rest of the game it threw me off.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

TheLoser posted:

Matt Mercer gives one of his best performances as Yusuke, and Futaba was a real breakout for Erica Lindbeck.

Lindbeck was remembered pretty well for Celica in Fire Emblem before that, but Futaba was a real fun role for her.

I don't think we really managed to get Mercer's full range as Yusuke, since the guy has one of the most impressive ranges in male VAing I can think of (the only ones that come close to that personally are Max Mittleman and Jamieson Price), but it's still really good.

Haru was my least favourite in P5, but Strikers really patched that up for me. Ann is a very solid placer, though it's hard not to just think of Kaede from Danganronpa (or the other way round).

Makoto... I dunno. I know Cherami Leigh has some chops, but whether it's because of Makoto's character or voice direction, she was easily the flattest of the PTs for me.

Endorph posted:

that said 'rotten adults' is a pretty lame way of phrasing it. Plus P5 in general has the issue of the same phrase getting repeated over and over, which is something that comes across way more awkward in English than it does in Japanese. If Ryuji said rotten adults a few times it wouldn't stand out but it's practically his catchphrase.

Ryuji's catchphrase is "F'real?" and I won't hear otherwise. :colbert:

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Mar 1, 2021

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Harrow posted:

Oh yeah that would've been a much shorter way for me to describe it. I forgot they say Yoshizawa correctly :v: Yep, that's exactly it.

I think all of the newer characters, including in Strikers, have their names pronounced better, like Yoshizawa or, in Strikers, Hasegawa. But they're sorta locked into the weird Takamaki, Kitagawa, etc. pronunciations now.

On the upside, outside of probably maybe a handful of lines you won't hear the last names nearly as much after P5, since they're no longer in school. It's only during introductions and dealing with random adults that you'll hear them in Strikers, for instance.

In fact by endgame of any Persona game I think the only characters that use last names with any frequency are Mitsuru/Akihiko in P3, and Mitsuru does it much more. Akihiko only really uses last names for Yukari and Fuuka for instance, whereas I think Mitsuru only drops it for MC and Yukari.

BBTAG's dub making all the P4 characters switch to last name is some really weird voice direction.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 1, 2021

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Funky Valentine posted:

You hear a lot of last names in P4 because half the party has local businesses named after them.

It's really only Amagi that's voiced with any frequency, the rest don't really get them actually voiced other than maybe the occasional Kujikawa or Shirogane. And none of the party members use them for each other.

Also I think the only other character with a business named after them is Kanji? Rise's tofu shop isn't named after her, Junes isn't named after Hanamura, Chie's family doesn't have one, and Naoto's is fairly secret.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Badger of Basra posted:

I hate myself a little for liking Kasumi when they're putting her in my face so much as someone they really want me to like.

They do push her into the spotlight a bit too much for me but honestly her actual story is pretty good. Also you're really only forced into what, 3-4 scenes with her if you don't want to do the third semester. Maruki has forced 7-8 scenes if you don't care about him.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I definitely don't dispute the whole 'Kanji is probably gay/bi' issue, but also it's perfectly okay for straight guys (if Kanji was one) to want to sew cute things! Which I guess is half the point of his S.Link.

I don't mind Kanji's actual dungeon itself (it's confusing as heck sure, but I think some other character intros like Yusuke's are also bad), it's just everything Yosuke-related after that ramps it up.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Ryuji is a character that is way less obvious but I imagine is 'strong straight but has no issues with possible bi later on'. You can compliment Ryuji physically in Strikers and he takes it in good stride.

The bi women would be a bit harder to parse, partially because you only play as a girl in one added route of a game. Chie/Yukiko/Ann feel obvious, but then things like Yukari/Mitsuru feel like just 'reading too much into women friendships'.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yusuke would also be down if you dressed up as a lobster. He's also probably some kind of hotpotsexual but I think that's a lot harder to cosplay.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The first fighting game actually has reasonably good writing, which is why P4AU was such a disappointment even if Junpei/Yukari's new designs were rad.

Junpei turning into a baseball coach for middle school kids and finally moving away from his clunky greatsword fighting style was perfect.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah, that boss was actually really fun for me since you got to exploit all the aspects of the battle system: weaknesses and Baton Pass were both fun to make use of and prevented it from boiling down 'okay load up best DPS, add a healer/buffer, let's roll', which was something that the sixth and seventh Palace bosses suffered from. It's a big reason why Haru fell off hard during P5R because she just didn't have the damage or buffs and her utility wasn't good enough to make up for it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Deltasquid posted:

Err, I thought Haru was actually great in P5R if you specced her to use her gun skills. One-shot kill has insane single-target damage potential.

Her damage was always there, but then Ryuji is also great damage, and he has Matarukaja. She can kinda compete with Yusuke damage wise, but he has Masukukaja and a generally better Trait.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Joker's damage outstrips everyone else just because he does have access to everything. So the more time he's spending on support the less time he has for pumping out his own damage.

Having one round of say, Joker/Ryuji/Makoto getting a round of buffs in means that everyone has two full rounds of blasting instead of MC being perpetually on support duty.

Of course later on in P5R you can use Thermopylae and then that's all the buffing taken care of.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Harrow posted:

Barring DLC personas and Myriad Truths, what's the most damaging team you can set up in P5R? Assuming the target is a boss and can't be affected by a lot of the technical-enabling status ailments.

For physical damage at least, my guess is Joker, Ryuji, Yusuke, and then a support of your choice, probably Makoto so she can Checkmate the target (though you could give anyone Debilitate and they'd be good in that slot too). Outside of Myriad Truths, is anything going to do as much damage as a Charged-up Hassou Tobi when Ryuji's trait triggers?

I think Haru might be able to outdamage Yusuke in theory due to Gun Shot+Amp, but I haven't actually tested it out.

In actuality, I think Ann/Makoto overtake the physical team if the enemy is weak to both Fire and Nuclear; Merciless also triples weakness damage, which is stronger than Ryuji's trait. Joker can also have a Persona with the Relentless trait to increase weakness damage and then equip Ragnarok/Atomic Flare. The fourth member could be anybody; Morgana is the best remaining mage, but Ryuji/Yusuke/Haru are self-sufficient enough even without High Energy.

Hassou Tobi's extremely high ceiling is still notable though, especially with Ryuji's Trait. I'd probably give Yusuke/Haru Debiliate, and drop Makoto for Yoshizawa for Brave Step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I was going through some of the Personas that the P5 cast and... huh. Necronomicon really doesn't fit the 'trickster' theme of the P5 Personas, does it? The wiki suggests it's based on the rumour of UFOs abducting cows but that seems... pretty flimsy.