Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
are we also discussing the Metaphor game here or will we make a new thread for that or just use the general Megaten thread for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
There doesn't seem to be any sort of fusion mechanic in Metaphor, everyone seems to just have a base class. There might be some sort of swap mechanic, or specialization thingy, though.

Given the story dialogue mentions a competition for the most beloved person to be the next king, and the social stats forming a crown, I wonder if there might be more of a focus on social stats than dungeon crawling in the 'main story', as it were. They might be shifting to more of an Atelier thingy, with sub-goals you need to meet but can meet in any way you like as long as it gets met.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Item Getter posted:

The not-personas seem to be called "Archetypes". The room with the big gold statue looks like this game's equivalent of the Velvet Room and there's an option there for "Learn Archetypes" which is presumably where you get new ones by fusion or some other method.
I caught that one of them is called "Soul Hacker".

I feel like this game will basically be Persona 6. I'm sure it will be a good game though I do think it's funny that they were going on for a long time about starting the Studio Zero to make something completely new and doing a lot of research on tabletop RPGs and fantasy novels and such to come up with a new game and by all indications it looks like it's just like their previous game except in a fantasy setting instead of modern day Japan.

there are almost certainly going to be less Archetypes than there are Personas if only because the Archetypes have very 'class'-y names, like Thief and Knight and so forth.

Heck, if you look at this screenshot:

there's a concrete description of either the Seeker class the protag's rocking, or the Protag in general: "Learns a wide array of versatile skills including Wind magic, single-target healing and attack buffs". Maybe Archetypes will let you add some customization on top of a more specialized skillset ala the Q games, maybe it's more of a Bravely Default thing where you can mix and match Archetypes and play around.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
At 0:42 in the trailer, there's a skill list but it's under the "Synthesis" option with the "team up" subheader, and in the bottom right both MC and the grey-haired dude, Strohl with the Warrior Archetype are lit up red. There's wind magic and Matarukaja in the options which line up with that description but I'm assuming those are stronger combo attacks like Fusion Spells in Digital Devil Saga, possibly with the stipulation that who leads/starts is important rather than both members being able to activate the same combo.

Then again, this is initiated by the rabbit character Heismay's turn. So who knows?

Also Archetypes have ranks but there doesn't seem to be any character levels.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
if you pause the video when the not-Social Links show up, you can see it's segmented into 8 pieces, not 10.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
an LPer I like who did a quick thoughts on/reaction video on the three big reveals found this screenshot:

If you'll notice, all four party members have different Archetypes.

Granted, two of them could be DLC classes that shout out to their other recent games (Trickster and Soul Hacker?) but the interesting thing is that Hulkenberg and Heismay's symbols for Paladin and Ninja look like slightly fancier versions of their Knight and Thief archetypes. Maybe it's less of a class free for all and more of a web/tree, where you can unlock more advanced Archetypes by mastering base ones? More FFT than FFV, as it were.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
do we know if the soundtrack will just be remixes and updates of the classic tracks with a few new songs, or completely original

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Gonna be honest like 80% of the good voice acting comes from Grant George, Liam O'Brien, Tara Platt and Yuri Lownethal-Fuuka has been named, but honestly Ken is also pretty dire too

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Yeah like just off the top my head, play Infamous Second Son, her Fetch is pretty far removed from her Rise

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Do accents count for different voices from the same guy? Yuri Lowenthal's fake British accent isn't perfect and you can still tell that it's him but he uses it well in Odin Sphere.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
my worst fear is that they'll try and make some in-universe explanation for how Junpei's Agidyne at Jin during the scene where Chidori dies works even though in-game, he/Moros repels Fire.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Metaphor drops on PS4, 5 and PC in addition to the XBOX platforms.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

mmkay posted:

I think Q2 eases off a little bit and doesn't quite turn him and Chie into protein/meat elementals.

Didn't it turn Yusuke into a hunger elemental tho

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://twitter.com/MbKKssTBhz5/status/1680718254334001153

Well that's one way Metaphor's setting itself apart from Persona.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
"YOU'RE NOT ME"

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Koromaru/Cerberus didn't have Getsu-ei in any of the skill sets he had in the earlier versions of P3, so it looks like skill sets will be lightly remixed a bit.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
i wanna buy it because it's cool and fun and i wanna play Persona 3 but with the quality of life stuff from 5

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Yeah I said this before but we have a bit of footage showing Koromaru using Getsu-ei, a physical skill he never learned in any of the three P3 versions we've gotten, so skill lists are getting remixed at least a hair.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Imp: I like it when there's friction between party members in the mechanics

Imp: also doesn't like the part of the game where the party members actually come to heads and disagree about a course of action in The Answer

contradictory much?

/joking joking joking not serious not serious not serious

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
The Theurgia mechanic and Metaphor might be Atlus trying to experiment with some new ideas in a safe space (a remake and an original IP) before they head in a new direction with P6, it comes to mind.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
The fact of the matter is that with no Marie or Kasumi equivalent in sight, I assume that the game's new story material will be expansions of existing stuff rather than anything created out of whole cloth 'newly'.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'd be fine with having them be fought more. As it stands, you have the one fight with Takaya and Jin before Hanged Man, the one-off with Chidori in front of Tartarus, then the two individual fights with Jin and Takaya in Tartarus. I'd say... one fight with them before Justice and Chariot could work. Maybe at least one fight with all three?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
True enough point on that front.

Yunno what could work? A villain mini campaign where you play as the three of them.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Strega and Ikutsuki VA hard confirms:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I definitely got the vibe that Akiren was snarkier than Yu, and Yu could be seriously snarky when he wanted to be.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
wait are we talking OP animation quality or OP song quality because I thought Dark Sun ruled as a song

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Zeno Robinson is cool, cuz he was Hunter on Owl House and Haruki from the Ultraman Z dub and Fogado from the latest Fire Emblem.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
There's always been some. Yukari, Mitsuru and Fuuka were always party members with S Links.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
there's a reason he's one of the non-Igor characters who returns in both P4 and 5, if only to sell stuff!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li5pPkBdyXI

Akihiko trailer.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD3TUAnYyME

Looks like there are new on-field navigator skills, including one that makes you undetectable by enemies for your current floor.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Revolutionize Your Heart rules and i can't wait to hear a full version.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
If you're interested in unused content, this Let's Player I follow just dropped a really good overview of Persona 5's, (spoilers for base and Royal BTW)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjAIpI85fjA

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
He immediately befriended the track fuckup! Like attracts like, you know.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
By the way (and if you follow the Megaten thread, this will be old news), I've been doing some amateur analysis of new Metaphor info and it's been said to be okay to discuss here, so I'm going to share some screenshots, info, and a few things I've noted.

Firstly, we got some broad lore info, as well as bios of our first five party members.

quote:

A world separate from our own, inhabited by eight tribes.

In this world is a land known as the United Kingdom of Euchronia.

The union, founded by the heroic first king and ruled by a strong royal family that inherited powerful magic, has gradually succumbed to corruption over the years, and is descending into a “virtueless nation” torn apart by inequality and discrimination.

In the vast realm, dangerous animals and mysterious monsters known as “Humans” run rampant, making the lands outside city walls seldom safe. And the assassinations of Euchronia’s prince and king have unleashed further chaos and unrest unto a kingdom now without a ruler.

The Eight Tribes

1. Clemar

A tribe characterized by the horns on each side of their heads. Their physique and physical capabilities are average. They occupy a number of important positions in the royal family and monarchy, and are often considered the central tribe of the kingdom. They themselves tend to subconsciously internalize the sense that this is true.

2. Roussainte

A tribe characterized by their long, protruding ears. With a remarkable physique and physical capabilities, many of them are soldiers or occupy important positions in the military. Many possess a combative nature, fixated on victory versus defeat and seeking to determine the inferiority or superiority of anything and everything.

3. Ichthyia (spelling to be confirmed)

A tribe characterized by the elegant wings on various parts of their bodies. They possess greater intellect than other tribes. Many hold high positions in intellectual labor, such as scholars and clergymen, and many are wealthy. Coupled with their appearance, they are a tribe that is sometimes admired, but as there are also those who tend to look down upon others, they are equally despised.

4. Rogue (spelling to be confirmed)

A tribe characterized by their long lifespan. Some live more than twice the average life expectancy of other tribes. Their aging is unique, with middle and old ages occupying the majority of their lifetime. In traditionally seniority-based positions, they consequently tend to hold higher positions. Their culture emphasizes great value in “passing down” knowledge and purpose.

5. Nydia (spelling to be confirmed)

A tribe characterized by their large eyes and eye color. Despite lacking any particularly extraordinary traits, many are said to be sociable and charismatic. However, their nature is often taken negatively by some, who consider them “untrustworthy smooth talkers” or “weirdos.”

6. Palipas (spelling to be confirmed)

A tribe characterized by their beast-like ears and tail. While physically very strong, their senses are also physical, and they are for better or worse pleasure seekers. While their love for feasting and liveliness, and their carefree cheerfulness can at times be a strength, it can also manifest as an impulsiveness that does not favor deep contemplation. They lack political dominance and are looked down upon by other tribes.

7. Eugief

A tribe characterized by their bat-like wings and ears. Due to their difference in appearance and abilities compared to the humanoid tribes, they are often seen as creepy and discriminated against. For that reason, the majority live life without wealth and are lower in rank among the other tribes. They are generally mild-mannered and cooperative. However, they are not good at making big decisions and tend to hesitate due to their constant concern for others.

8. Mutsutari (spelling to be confirmed)

A tribe characterized by the “third eye” on their foreheads. They are often viewed as strange due to their unique masks and traditional attire. Since they follow their own faith separate from the state religion, they are often persecuted as “heretics” in the mainland, and are somewhat mysterious.

The monstrocities known as "Humans'
Unidentifiable creatures with bizarre appearances unlike any other known animal. Each one harbors a substantial amount of rampant Magra in their systems, prompting them to indiscriminately attack everything around them. While generally unintelligent and aggressive, their biology is a mystery, such as their use of a magic far too advanced for people to easily handle. Their bodies are robust, and the larger ones are capable of annihilating even entire armies.

Some additional context on the "Humans" thing. In Japanese, you can gloss words with extra secondary meanings, one way having a word expressed via kanji to be read via katakana'd English. For "Humans", they use 'ningen', the Japanese word for 'people', but gloss it with 'Homo', as in 'homo sapiens'. 'Homo' is also used in some English-using screenshots, I'll provide one for posterity.

They are also, in a bit of trivia, inspired by the works of Hieronymus Bosch, a fantasy Dutch/Netherlandish painter from the Renaissance era.

Anyway, onto our first protags:

quote:

Hero (CV: Natsuki Hanae)
Together with the fairy, Gallica, he embarks on a journey to lift the deadly curse placed on his childhood friend, the prince of Euchronia.

He is a boy of the Elda tribe, branded a “tainted” people by the state religion who believe the Elda have inherited dangerous and heretical magic. Being so rare among the populous, they are detested and discriminated against throughout the kingdom.

Gallica (CV: Sumire Morohoshi)
Not only a traveling companion, Gallica is the guide who helps the protagonist carry out his mission to save the prince. Although she is too small to participate in battles, her knowledge of magic and ability to sense "magla" (?) is superior to the protagonist due to her fairy nature. She doesn’t mince words, but she is a reassuring ally on his journey.

Strohl (CV: Kensho Ono)
He is a young man of the Clemar tribe who meets the protagonist in the recruitment center for the State Army.

A smart young man with a strong sense of justice, he hails from a noble family. And yet, it seems his circumstances are complicated, as it is rare for a noble to enlist in the army alongside commoners.

Hulkenberg (CV: Saori Hayami)
A knight of the Roussainte tribe and former member of the royal family’s Kingsguard who served by the prince’s side.

Despite her young age, she excelled in the use of various weaponry, and was assigned to the personal guard of the prince. But when the prince was attacked, she failed to protect him and set out to wander, carrying the stigma of this failure in her heart.

Heismay (CV: Akio Otsuka)
A former knight of the Eugief tribe. He has acute perception compared to most others, due in part to the Eugief trait of being sensitive to sound. With an appearance that differs greatly from other tribes, it’s not uncommon for eugiefs to be discriminated against—and it seems Heismay is no exception, his past his own burden to bear.

I'm not too versed in JP VAs, but Akio Otsuka is familiar to me: he's Japanese Solid Snake. So Heismay isn't gonna have a cutesy mascot voice. Come the dub I definitely expect something in the DC Douglas/Keith Silverstein/Patrick Seitz/Jamieson Price range.

------------------------------------------

Delineating official info with stuff that, while using official sources, is more speculative and analytical, and may not be true come release.

So, eight tribes. Elda's unique, but our party starts with 3 tribe members in the group.

In a bit in the second trailer, the one with an English dub, there's a bit where Junah (a girl with a fivehead that puts Haru to shame) saying a line that ends with "but it's thanks to you that I awakened my Archetyp(e)". (it cuts off before the e arrives but that's clearly what it's called.) Archtypes being our not-Persona. So she's also a party member.

in a Japanese stream, we also get this image from an anime cutscene:

Junah's the blonde girl in the back, and given her big eyes, she's our Nydian party member. In addition to her, we have a girl with a third eye in the center of her forehead, which would make her our Mutsutari, and the person in the suit to the right back, who has something just above Hulkenberg's ear. that might be the pole of a spear, but it could also be a tail, which would track for Palipas. We also have this girl named Maria, who has wings, marking her as Ichthyian, though we have no hard confirm that she is in the party, she might just be an NPC with a bond, or a shopkeeper.

Lastly, this bit from the trailer:

He's got an Archetype and he's in the party, and his age would put him as the Rogue member.

Another thing. We've seen some more classes here and there. Here's a list of everything I've seen on everyone:

MC: Seeker, Brawler, Soul Hacker
Strohl: Warrior, Trickster
Hulkenberg: Knight, Healer, Paladin
Heismay: Thief, Ninja
Old Man: Mage

The fact that Hulkenberg has more than one 'class', and that Healer sounds pretty different in terms of what it would do than Knight, seems to indicate that we aren't operating on Persona principles where you have a set thing you do and you only get better at it. But I also don't think that we just have a FF 5/Crystal Project sort of system where anyone can do anything, either, because otherwise we wouldn't have more party members than battle slots through Junah and Old Man.

My guess is that every character has a small web of classes, and while there might be overlaps (Old Man could pick up Healer, for instance), everyone does have some degree of 'classes unique to them'.

Connected to this, we have a battle victory screen.

EXP and Money are expected, and A-EXP (Archetype) would track with some other images we have of classes having levels.

But... "Mag"? coming from Persona, and thus, SMT, the obvious answer would be "magnetite" but I don't think it's that.

This is from an earlier trailer and I think it's the keystone of this Archetypes-as-classes theory.

Lastly, a few neat screenshots that elaborate on characters and give us some early insight into their personalities.

Strohl seems to have a supportive 'cool older brother' vibe going on.

Hulkenberg, meanwhile, seems to be a bit of a hardass. Definitely get Mitsuru vibes from her, though with more of a focus on being strong/tough/disciplined.

Gallica being cute.

Heismay seems to be kneading some dough here, and it looks like his personality has a flair for the dramatic.

---------------------------------------

Lemme know if you have any thoughts, counter-analysis, theories, etc. It's not easy playing amateur game journalist.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'd be amused if people started shipping her with Heismay just because you can do the ship name combination thingy and get Heisenberg for easy Breaking Bad jokes.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Someone else shared some extra info they had found on the Archetype system, quoting them directly and using their screenshots:

----------------------------------

Characters don't seem locked to a specific class line. Here is a screenshot featuring MC with "Dealer", Strohl with "Monk", and Hulkenberg with "Mage".

In another interview (unsure if it's been translated) it's stated that you awaken new Archetypes through bonds with people. Back in the very first video interview with Hashino a few months back there were a bunch of clips playing in the background. In them we can see the protagonist unlocking the "Healer" archetype by strengthening his bond with Maria, as well as gaining the "Brawler" archetype by strengthening his bond with the pink haired knight named Catherine.

Here we can see the screen where you select Archetypes. We can see that the Archetypes are broken up into what looks like categories with some sort of progression system, either through continuing the bond with the character you obtained them from or maybe just mastering that Archetype with a character, or both. In the first trailer there are brief moments where we can see the protagonist with "Magic Seeker" and Hulkenberg with "Magic Knight" equipped, which also suggests this.
This looks like an early game screenshot where we can see Strohl with the "Fighter" archetype equipped (I believe this is the same Archetype as the Warrior one we see in English trailers, just a different name), with the cell directly next to it having a ? on it. Further up in the chart two cells are highlighted blue and red, most likely the protagonist's Seeker and Hulkenberg's Knight.

------------------------------------

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Looking at that grid, it reminds me a lot of Digital Devil Saga 2's skill tree. It looks like there are a bunch of small individual sections/segments, but there are also areas where they're too close for them to tesselate perfectly.

So, I assume that each small segment connects to one Bond, and mastering that class is more for letting you carry over useful skills to other classes than anything else. I'd also assume that after a party member joins, they'll get a Rank 1 bond pretty quickly that would let you access their 'base' class (Warrior for Strohl, Knight for Hulkenberg, Thief for Heismay).

Still, that begs a question: Why are there more party member slots than there are party members (old man, Junah) if everyone's customizable in the FF5/Bravely Default vein?

My best guess would be, well, like Digital Devil Saga: Everyone has a unique statline that makes them more suited for certain roles, like Heat having good Strength, and Argilla having high Magic.

Also, given the Bond screen has a circle divided into 8ths, but each segment having at most 4 hexagons, I don't think every rank will give a new Archetype.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
oh this is fun for me. I like playing mini-Gamexplain. I have fun theorizing and analyzing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

I would watch Junpei's video.

That's genuinely sweet, thank you.

Anyway, it turns out that there's a lot you can notice going back to the original trailer with additional context. Like, the Mutsutari girl can be seen making a bond with the MC, as well as that Catherine girl mentioned, who if her ears and tail are any indication, is a Palipas.

I would also like to note that while Catherine, a businessman-looking person with white hair, the Mutsutari girl (if you go frame by frame you can see the name "Eupha" pop up under the wheel) and the white-haired beret-wearer who controls Archetypes in that menu go for a handshake in the Bond-forming bit, Maria and the MC go for a pinky promise thingy, which is just so adorable.

Anyway, looking at the grid, it looks like there are about 14 segments of connected Hexagons.

Strohl
Hulkenberg
Heismay
Junah
Maria
Catherine
Eupha
Beret Dude
Businessman
Old Man Party Member
Palipas Party Member
Gallica

That's 12. I'm not sure where the MC's Seeker class comes from, maybe it'll be a self-bond, or a bond with the Prince they're trying to save, or maybe it's with Beret Dude as the 'first' Archetype, or Gallica, but there's about two more bonds, probably.