Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
It's a real shame that Prison Labor is only played in some of P5R's side-content (that is mostly confined to DLCs at that), it's a waste of a standout song on the soundtrack. Imagine if they'd used it for the original final boss or the first phase of the new final boss (though arguably it would be a bit jarring in the latter case).

Finally got around to finishing P5R yesterday night, the new content is quite good but there's only so much they can do within the framework of the pre-existing story and the (in my opinion) complete wet fart that was the original ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
lol I couldn't keep my hand out of the biscuit tin and immediately started Persona 4G

I hate Yosuke with every fiber of my being already.
Even the protag is bland as hell, at least Akira had a strong tendency to snark in his dialog options.
Maybe my headphones are breaking but JP Chie sounds like a mosquito, the audio compression on her voice samples is horrible.
Naturally I ran into all the major spoilers on the internet long ago so hopefully that doesn't affect my enjoyment of the game too much.

That being said I love how fluid the animations are. When/if P5R ever makes it to Steam I really hope it gets the same treatment because it feels horribly jank by comparison.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Out of curiosity, is there any real reason why P4 emphasizes those glasses so hard? It feels rather like Persona 5 constantly reiterating how metaverse people and places outside of Palace environs look indistinguishable from the real world and how this totally won't be a plot point later on or anything.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
What sort of horrible monster would beat up Nanako

Come to think of it what sort of horrible monster would steal Nanako's pudding out of the fridge

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Reflect Physical personas are OP

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
In p4 is there any value to these gemstones(?) I'm picking up? They're not classed as vendor trash but I don't know what I might use them for yet. Money is very tight compared to p5 so it would be nice if I could just sell them.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Thanks, also one other question: I'm trying to progress the shrine fox's S-Link but I'm not sure how to proceed. He gave me that first votive offering that came from some girl with a crush(?) but I spoke to everyone at Yasogami High and nobody seemed to have any connection to it. The quest log entry doesn't exactly give me much to go on.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I think the fourth dungeon in P4 was the first one that I managed to do in a single shot, and even then that was mostly due to finally being able to afford the fox's ~50,000 yen fox drugs. I still haven't re-encountered that girl who was the subject of his first request either so that particular S-Link is looking like a total bust.

The mandatory grinding in P4 is really a pain in the rear end. Should I just knock the difficulty down to Easy or whatever so I don't have to waste time on it?

(Sorry to keep asking dumb questions. Despite knowing the major spoilers there have still been a lot of fun little minor surprises along the way like the stuff that goes down at the end of dungeon 3 so I'm still trying to avoid wider internet resources until I finish a playthrough. I really like P4 so far, honestly if it weren't for the pointless grinding I think I might prefer it over P5, although that is of course a matter of personal preference).

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 21, 2021

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Come now, it's possible to appreciate both P5 and P4 without getting hung up over which is better.

I'm in November of P4 and I like it a lot, and I'm looking forward to trying P3 afterwards. Though there's a lot of arguing about whether P3P or FES is the better version and I'm not sure I want to play the same game with minor variations two times over.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I wish I wasn't ten years late to the Persona 4 party. I hit the "Warning: poo poo is about to get real. Save? Y/N" point and what happens immediately after would have hit a lot harder if I didn't already know the broad strokes of what was going to go down already. If anybody is on the fence about P4 but somehow hasn't had the entire story spoiled to hell and back yet then go play it before it's too late.

A fakeout death is cheap as poo poo though, I think they should have made it stick. It would have made the story a lot more interesting, made Namatame a more interesting character than just "nutty but ultimately just misguided fuckup", and generally underscored to everybody involved that they need to stop loving around and actually take things seriously now that there's a dead little girl cooling in the morgue. And yes I managed to navigate the dialog tree to avoid the early bad ending although I misread one of the options so I had to go back and try again a couple of times.

Also how are Kanji and Rise casually going on a recon run in TV world when Teddie is missing? it is repeatedly stated that Teddie is the only being with the power to create exits from the otherworld, Himiko doesn't have that capability as far as I'm aware? unless... Rise is the real killer? :tinfoil: gotta dispose of the competition before they hook up with senpai

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

NikkolasKing posted:

So this is a random, dumb question but I've always wondered about Kanji's name.

I know one part of the Japanese writing system is called kanji. So isn't Kanji's name like being called Letter or Alphabet or something? Is there more of a difference in Japanese between the word kanji and the name Kanji?

Disclaimer: My Japanese is mediocre at best and playing through this series in Japanese is very much a learning process for me.

So a big reason why Japanese continues to use Chinese characters is that there's a whole bunch of words that all sound like each other and without any immediate context it helps to be able to write them differently to disambiguate them.

Kanji's name is written 完二 and I don't really know enough to say whether that choice of characters for his name has any particular meaning. As I understand it there is a large degree of freedom when it comes to assigning Chinese characters to peoples' names.

"kanji" can mean chinese character (漢字) sure, but the most common word with that pronunciation is probably 感じ, which means feeling, impression, or emotion (although "emotion" would more commonly use the word 感情, kanjyou. I think). Come to think of it I think Rise makes a pun on his name at one point.

Incidentally Yumi (実結)'s name characters have some significance which is explicitly remarked upon in the course of her S-Link. Some sort of allusion to the expression 実を結ぶ (mi wo musubu, to bear fruit). Maybe that's explicitly spelled out in the English translation idk.

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 5, 2021

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
That was a pretty satisfying end battle for the base game Persona 4 content.

It's still a stupid Razer Orb From Nowhere that rants for fifteen minutes about humanity's desires and then attacks you, but unlike P5 the model doesn't look like a computer graphics student's sophomore project and the battle theme is a pretty nice jam. Seriously the P5-original end battle theme was such a wet fart, especially after Rivers in the Desert. But then everything about P5's ending was intensely unsatisfying. At least in my opinion.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Oh, right, there's still Izanami at the very end isn't there

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
P3's final battle theme is very good though so presumably that counts for something.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Regarding the p5r antagonist they could have made him a lot more morally ambiguous than they actually did, but it is made pretty clear that he has no qualms with killing overwriting the brain of anybody who refuses to submit to his grand design, and he even says straight out to Rumi that "my beloved is dead" when he does it to her.

Also it's depressing that the authors found it easier to imagine a world with planetary scale reality bending god powers than to imagine a world without wage labor or homelessness but that's a topic that has been beaten to death already. But yeah paradise is characterized by the stock market endlessly going up and the more the stock market goes up the more paradiser it is.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I finished P4G.

This is an interesting approach to preventing Post Persona Depression: overstay your welcome so hard that the player is glad to be done with it by the time The End comes up. Like I was only a little bit sad to see the squad run along the platform and then stop at the end as the train left the station and I expected that it would hit much much harder. Maybe I'm just old and miserable and my dopamine receptors have long since turned into scarred husks, I dunno.

And I didn't even hang out with Marie or get the Hollow Forest event or the true golden ending or the post-ending time skip epilogue and thank gently caress for that frankly. The ski trip was hilarious and had me grinning like an idiot but even then I feel like the extra Golden stuff actually harms the game on balance on account of the once-tight pacing just going completely to poo poo. If it just ended with Ame no Sagiri and I'd skipped the Izanami dungeon (why did this need to be a whole extra dungeon) then I'd have finished with a much higher opinion of it. I guess I'll come back and do a playthrough that includes Marie, later. Much later.

Still a good game, don't get me wrong, but other than Persona 3 (so I hear) this series really seems to have trouble sticking the landing.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
They will contrive some way to make it exclusive to the PlayStation 5 Pro, and there will be a cliffhanger in the middle that requires you to import a save game into a followup game exclusive to the Switch.

The re release will contain both parts but it will be a Stadia exclusive.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Atlus seems to primarily focus on the Japanese domestic market and PC gaming still isn't really a thing over there. Their general reaction to the Persona series' recent overseas popularity is "huh, that's cool I guess".

That and there's probably moneyhatting by Sony involved (iirc Sony did the localization work for P5)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Persona is an escapist power fantasy in which your self-insert character gains the ability to perform unbelievable feats like summoning demons, traveling to a supernatural otherworld, and diligently studying for exams.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Alternatively if you already have a Switch you might want to try Fire Emblem Three Houses. Kind of like Persona meets XCOM although it is of course very different to both of those games.

It's set in a medieval fantasy high school instead of a modern Japanese high school, there's time and relationship management mechanics, and your squad members have social interactions with each other and not just with you. Also for the most part everybody is there from day one, so you don't have situations like Haru turning up in the third act.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Funky Valentine posted:

Concept: SMT game with tea minigame from Three Houses.

Isn't that just demon negotiation without the potential violent consequences

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I am of the unpopular opinion that Golden and Royal don't add enough to their respective base games to be worth the extra 20-30 hours of run time. The cellphone calls are the worst, who on earth decided that what Persona 5 needed was even more padding? Then again I never played the original PS2 version of Persona 4 so perhaps I should reserve judgement, that Shuffle Time system seemed kind of weird. But on the other hand the removal of the boss room save points is kind of bizarre.

Early Baton Touch and the new Mementos music are excellent QoL improvements, I'll give P5R that.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
That's all well and good except that none of this character development can actually be shown in the main plot because none of it can be relied on to have happened yet. It isn't a concept that can work really, which is why iirc originally slinks were only available with NPCs and girls in the party (so you could date them, which is a form of character development that is compelling but does not affect much otherwise)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Oh yeah today's going to be an eventful day for you isn't it

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Alder posted:

woo boy I have a lot of words to say about P4G and how it treats their cast.

might as well post them then there's not a lot else going on itt

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
If you save and then exit the dungeon then your navi will tell you how far you are from the end in fairly vague terms

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
"Over 120 hours of gameplay!" threatens upcoming jrpg

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Cross platform sequel to Soul Hackers has been announced, releasing Aug 22.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNprjTdTdQI

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The Okumura palace has a rather annoying switch maze section near the end that I think was simplified slightly in Royal but I didn't really notice any difference. Also the Royal version of the palace boss is significantly more obnoxious than base game.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Second trailer for Soul Hackers 2 just came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGBxHXf5OVA

Looks like there's an English-subbed version of the first PV as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeBH4h7f5CQ

It's a cross-platform release, including Steam. No idea what it's all about other than being a futuristic SMT-style game but it looks cool, might pick this up when it comes out.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I think most people get past the new Shido phase using Reflect/Null Phys personas, since all he does is buff himself and punch you in the face. Maybe he has a single Almighty attack that he uses occasionally? Those personas are extremely OP in general so you've probably got at least one of Randa, Arahabaki, cyclops elephant guy, or at the very least Shiki Ouji on you even if you don't know that this fight is coming

The themes of both the original and to some extent Royal fall flat to some extent because the game begins and ends with Joker getting trampled underfoot by corrupt institutions despite the entire point of the game being a criticism of said institutions in Japanese culture. Yeah his sentence gets cut down to a couple of months but even a couple of months in jail is not exactly a picnic, and the fact of the matter is that he is still completely innocent.

That and the shitlib politics of ultimately blaming corrupt social institutions on apathy and not, you know, the deliberate, organized, and very bloody dismantling of collectivist social institutions during the postwar period. I can't speak to how Japanese politics played out in that regard but I imagine it's pretty similar to how things went down in Europe and North America.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Almost certainly just attention-seeking behavior by some dumbass social media intern.

The nvidia leak revealed every major new release and port coming to PC in the next two years, including stuff like the Demon's Souls remake, Horizon:FW, Returnal, an as-yet unnamed new game by Respawn, etc.

Persona 5 was not on the list (and nor was Bloodborne for that matter). Almost certainly not happening before 2024 if ever.

e: I pulled the two year timeline out of my rear end but that's probably a reasonable estimate for the time horizon for planned upcoming releases.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Well then.

I do hope there won't be any shennanigans around P5R getting released on Steam though because Atlus posted their own reveal trailer and the Steam logo was somewhat conspicuous by its absence. MS and Atlus don't really have a track record of pulling this sort of thing so far but who knows. Kinda have a feeling this will be a timed gamepass exclusive or something else stupid like that.

Then again I've already completed P5R and it's not exactly the most replayable game in the world so whatever.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
:toot: That's a relief. It was a bit weird that P4 Golden was a Vita-and-Steam exclusive (of all things) for a while there, so I was a bit concerned about there being some platform or storefront exclusivity shennanigans.

I imagine Switch owners are still upset though. The Persona games seem like an ideal match for Switch hardware, they're not exactly very graphically demanding.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Also FWIW that so called "Press release" about P5R et al coming to Steam is completely unconfirmed and is just engagement bait from some bottom feeder gaming website.

I mean it might still be true but again, the Steam logo is very conspicuous by its absence on all of the real, official announcements so far. It was front and center at the end of the very first trailer for Soul Hackers 2, for instance.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Because Atlus also posted their own trailer shortly afterwards and there was no mention of Steam in there either. Just "Windows PC". Which is generally the label that is used when a product is being moneyhatted for some other poo poo store with a radioactive brand like EGS (or idk maybe the Windows Store in this instance).

I dunno Atlus is just super weird with exclusivity in general.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

The Black Stones posted:

I mean, if it was just the bottom feeder website reporting it, it would be easier to ignore but all the big websites are reporting it as well at this point.

Yes they all just copy-paste each other because internet "journalism" is a race-to-the-bottom cess pit. Nobody has actually cited anything from an officially verified Atlus or Microsoft or Steam or whatever communication channel at any point in this mess as far as I am aware, it's all just racing to publish a "story" as quickly as possible.

quote:

If it was fake wouldn’t Altus put a stop to that as soon as possible?

I mean maybe eventually yeah but they aren't in the business of running around cleaning up the droppings of every random idiot on the internet with an AdWords account

quote:

Could be false, but it seems odd to just let everybody believe that’s a thing when it would take all of 1 minute to go on Twitter and say “hey sorry, that’s not true”

Why not? The bottom feeder site still gets to keep their ad revenue afterwards, there's no incentive not to just randomly make poo poo up and lots of incentive to do so.

To be clear I'm not continuing this derail just to be a Steam fanboy or whatever, I'm continuing it because this is really basic information hygiene that everybody needs to be familiar with on the modern internet at this point.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Kasumi in the Shido palace would be nice too, there was no good reason for her to be arbitrarily rejected from the mission like that.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
P4G being a Steam (well, and Vita) exclusive of all things for a couple of years was just the strangest thing

I wonder how much of its breakout success on that platform was PC gamers and how much was people really wanting to play P4G and creating a Steam account on their laptops or whatever. Though I did try running P4G on integrated graphics just to test it out and it ... didn't run great, at least if I recall correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
It's the same code as Catherine, it will run fine.

Not a Switch fan personally (I have one for Fire Emblem purposes and that's it) but I'm happy that Switch users will finally get Persona 5. It always seemed like a natural fit for the platform.